Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 27

10 years ago, the day of the accident.

“It was my decision, he had nothing to do with it”

My parents looked at me, already irritated.

“We don’t really care who came up with the idea, it’s not going to happen”

“Mom, please”

“No”

“Mom, I have a plan”

“A plan?”

“Yes, I truly want to go to ASU”

“You would rather go to ASU than Columbia?”

“I don’t want to be far from you guys”

“We all know that’s not the reason why”

“It’s one of the reasons mom, you know I’ve never been away from home and I’m scared of being on my own-”

“Stop”

“You’re going to Columbia and that’s final” my father jumped in.

“I-I want to be with John and with you guys more than anything”

“Sweetie, John is bad news and you know that. He doesn’t even want to go to ASU, he wants to start that silly band of his”

“It’s not silly, they are good, they have potential”

“So, what, you want to be their groupie?”

Tears were beginning to form in my eyes.

“MOM! No, I want to be his-his wife!”

She laughed sarcastically.

“Look, once John enters his twenties and he’s in that band of his, he’s going to forget you. He’s going to meet lots of girls and trust me, they will offer him more than you will”

“Mom”

“It’s the truth, these boys don’t want anything serious with a girl. He’s giving you false ideas”

“You guys don’t even know him”

“You don’t even know yourself right now sweetie”

“I’m going to ASU no matter what you guys say, I never wanted to apply to Columbia to begin with, that was your idea”

“You’re a brilliant writer, and they have an amazing writing program over there, of course you want to go there”

“I love cooking, I want to cook, I want to teach for a living”

“Sweetie just because you can cook doesn’t mean you are a chef or qualified to teach”

“Why are you saying such hurtful things?”

“You’re being really disrespectful and stubborn with us right now Melody”

“I just wanted to have an open conversation with you guys, but all you are doing is judging everything I say, you’re not being reasonable”

“Do you hear yourself Melody?”

“DO YOU?” I said wiping the tears from my face, this wasn't going as planned, I was only getting more furious and so were they.

“What are you all yelling about?” my brother said coming downstairs.

“Brandon, you will listen to me right?”

“What’s going on?”

“They don’t want me to go to ASU”

“You were accepted to Columbia of course they aren’t going to want you to stay here and go to ASU”

“I don’t want to go there though, don’t I get a say?”

“You’re 18, still a child”

“Brandon got to choose where he wanted to go to college, why don’t I?”

“I didn’t go to ASU”

“Okay, so is it about the school or is it about him? Is it about John?”

“He told us he wants to marry you, he dared to tell us, your parents, that” my father scoffed.

“Because we love each other”

“You both are kids, you don’t ‘love’ anything”

“I’ve been a good kid all this time, why don’t you guys trust me? Why don’t you guys listen to me? I don’t just want to go there because of him, but you won’t even hear out my reasons”

My mother rolled her eyes.
“We will not allow it”

“I’m leaving” I told them.

“Don’t be ridiculous Melody” my brother yelled.

I ran upstairs and grabbed a backpack and just stuffed my essentials in there. Tears were rolling down my face. I was so upset with my parents.
Even if we were just kids, his own parents were much more respectful of our relationship. They took their time to get to know me, in the contraire my parents only had him over for dinner once. Just once and never wanted him back.

He was a good person, much more than just a teenage boy who wanted to be in a band.
I also didn’t want to go to Columbia, it was never my choice.
I was good at writing but it didn’t mean I wanted to do that for a living.
I knew I was being immature, but at the same time my parents weren’t being mature themselves.
I needed time to think, I needed time away from them and if I didn’t leave now I wasn’t going to leave at all.
I walked downstairs.

“I’m leaving, if you guys are ever ready to hear me out, you can call me”

“MELODY RILEY” I heard my dad yell.

“NO! YELLING ISN’T GOING TO SOLVE ANYTHING! That’s all you guys ever freaking do, is yell and yell and yell and I’m tired of it. I always listen to everything you guys have to say because I love you guys but you guys don’t ever do the same to me”

“Where are you going?”

I simply waved to them and closed the door shut.
I called Julie.

“I’m on my way”

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

“I’ll be there soon, I’ll tell you then”

“Okay”

I reversed the car and began driving to her house.
I was almost there. I was passing an intersection when I noticed a car coming towards me. I was sure my light had been green. I panicked, it all happened too quickly.

I felt the powerful impact, a thunder like sound, the windows shattered, pieces of glass flying towards my body. My car was spiraling, I couldn’t control it. It then hit something else, a light pole, my head banged against the window and then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are just the loveliest bunch, I'm blessed to have such sweet readers ❤️ Hope I can one day hear from the rest of you too.