Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 28

I couldn’t sleep at night, replaying the crash over and over. I wasn’t even sure how I had survived.

I know knew how I had received those terrible scars I had all over my body. Some of them never did fully heal.
The fight with my parents surprised me, they usually were reasonable about everything. Yet, it seemed they were convinced about John

I still felt like I was missing something.
My head hurt terribly.
I got out of bed, looking at the time, it was already 4am. I couldn’t get any sleep.
I walked over to the kitchen in the dark and went to the medicine cabinet. Grabbed two acetaminophens and a melatonin. I had to fall asleep, soon.
I popped the pills into my mouth, swallowing them without water.
I walked over to the couch, the glow from outside illuminating the living room.
I felt another stab in my head and then another flash of something.

I was in a truck with John, and he was kissing me. I blushed furiously as I recollected the memory.

Why was I remembering such random moments in my life now?
It was still hard for me to believe that the things I was remembering were true.
I had to be dreaming, I had to be imagining things.
I knew it was late here, but it was a little earlier in Arizona.
I called John hoping he would answer and he did.

“Mhm?”

“Did I wake you up?”

“Yeah, but it’s fine, what’s going on, is everything okay?” he mumbled, his voice hoarser than usual.

“It was a white truck”

“Huh?”

“The car that hit me, it was a white truck”

“WAIT…did you, do you remember?”

“I remembered talking to my parents and getting into my car and getting hit by a white truck”

“Mel” he sighed.

“I’m slightly traumatized…I’m sure if I were to remember everything in detail, I’d be in a worse condition but my brain is kind enough to just send me my memories in pieces”

“The man was drunk, they arrested him by the way”

“Drunk? I hope he regrets it because it’s costed me so much”

“What did your parents tell you that day?”

“They didn’t listen to me, they said it wasn’t going to happen and that I was going to go to Columbia whether I wanted to or not”

“Wow”

“They also mentioned something about me being your groupie” I said and managed to laugh a little. He did too.

“A groupie huh?”

“Yeah, they said you would ditch me once you got famous and that you’d meet girls that would offer you more than me…whatever she meant by that”

We both laughed.

“I’m just wondering if they really did believe I would do this or if they were just giving you excuses and reasons for you to break up with me”

“Lord knows”

“Is that all you remembered?”

“Unfortunately, no” I said not sure on whether I should tell him what I remembered or not.

“Why unfortunately?”

“Because it’s awkward”

“What did you remember?”

“We were kissing in your red truck”

“Oh wow”

“Yeah”

He laughed.

“I’m sorry you had to remember that Mel, I was a terrible kisser then”

“John stop!”

“Alright, alright”

“I just needed to let someone know I had remembered something else, I’m sorry for waking you up”

“It’s fine, don’t hesitate to call me, I don’t care how late, okay?”

“Got it”

“Isn’t it 4am over there?”

“Yup, but it’s still early over there, so good night to you”

“Good soon to be morning to you”

We were both silent for a moment.

“John”

“Mel?”

“Thank you for the orange roses from 2 months ago”

He laughed.

“Did you barely remember that too?”

“I remembered I never thanked you, they were lovely”

“I’m glad you liked them” he said and I was sure I could hear him smile as he said it.

“I’ll call you tomorrow”

“Sounds good”

We hung up. I walked over to the door that led to the balcony. I stepped outside into the cold.

I was going to miss the Brooklyn air, but I was ready to begin a new chapter in my life.
Instead of going to sleep I started looking for apartments in Arizona.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was editing when this thing froze and reloaded the page, and no I hadn't saved it. But here it goes! Hope you guys enjoy this weeks chapters! Much love! Don't forget to listen to Lovely Little Lonely at least once today!