Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 32

Mel's P.O.V

I put on my best “nothing is wrong” face. I looked both ways as I crossed the street, as I got closer to them I waved.

“Hey! I didn’t know you guys were coming” I said pretending to be excited to see them.

My mom made a face and my dad looked upset.

“Who the hell was that?” my father spat angrily.

I had tried my hardest to remain calm but my mind was now in a state of panic. I looked at my mom and then at my dad.

“Was that Alex? Did he come with you?”

Alex.

They didn’t recognize John. I had to think quick.

“Yeah, you know mom it’s a long story”

“You got back together with him? I’m not sure how I feel about this, why didn’t you let him come and greet us?”

“You know mom, it’s just we’re you know…trying to work things out, I don’t think it would be wise for him to meet you guys yet…you know, meeting the parents is a big deal and then in the situation we are in…”

“You were holding hands with him and smiling as if you guys had already worked everything out” my dad interjected.

“We’re having a good day today, don’t worry, if he doesn’t prove himself to me this time, I’m really dumping him”

“That guy cheated on you, did he not?”

“Like I said dad, I don’t really want to talk about this here…”

My mom sighed heavily and shook her head.

“I’m really glad you guys came though” I said trying to change the subject.

“You’re not coming home right now?”

“Oh, it’s just some friends of Alex, they wanted to see him, so we are going there right now”

“Did they come to pick you guys up?”

I hadn’t thought about that.

“Oh yeah, he went to go look for them right now. But I promise I’ll stop by tomorrow”

“Okay, be careful” my mother said extending her arms for a hug. I hugged her and hugged my dad. I hadn’t felt their embrace in a long time.

My parents had raised me well, but they were never the touchy sentimental kind.
They had to have really missed me, I had missed them too but it had been their decision to keep me far away, not mine.
I waved to them as I saw them leave.
Waiting until I was sure they were gone.
I walked over to the car with the suitcases. I was upset, I was scared, I was nervous.

John's P.O.V

I texted her the parking structure and told her to call me when she was done.
The worst thoughts were entering my mind.
I put the suitcases in the back of the car and closed it. Opened the door and sat on the driver’s seat. I lowered my head, placing it against the steering wheel. I felt guilty for having left her alone, this was a problem we both had gotten into, we both had to solve it together, yet I had left her.

I closed my eyes as I waited.
Only a couple of minutes had passed when I heard a knock on the window. I jumped up startled, but it was Mel and she didn’t look upset, she looked rather calm.
I opened the door and she hoped on.

“They didn’t recognize you”

“Really?” I said completely shocked.

“They thought you were Alex”

Her parents sure where something else.

“They thought I was that despicable-” I began.

“Yes” she cut me off.

“Were you okay with that?” I asked her, unable to read her.

“Well…they now think I’m foolish for getting back together with my cheater ex, but at least they aren’t trying to tear us apart yet”

She looked so okay with it, I wasn’t sure how I felt about being confused for her cheating ex.

“So they were okay with you getting back together with him, but probably won’t be okay with you getting back together with your first love ex, this is ridiculous”

“It really is but at least we don’t have to deal with them right now”

“So when ARE we dealing with them?” I said to her, feeling a bit unsettled.

“John, are you upset?”

And I was.

“I just don’t get them, I really don’t, what’s freaking wrong with me?”

“I don’t think it’s-”

“I don’t want to be hiding from them Mel, if we want this to work out we can’t keep going around it, they are your parents for goodness sake”

She sighed and looked away, so I did the same thing. We were in silence for a bit, when I felt her reach for my hand. She rubbed my hand with her thumb. I looked over at her.

“I know you’re upset, and I know my plans are usually terrible, but just hear me out”

“Okay”

“I have been avoiding it, but for a good reason. I love my parents so much John, and you know that…and I just feel that if I were to talk to them right now, they would convince me”

“Convince you?” I asked confused.

“Convince me to leave you, they’re lawyers for crying out loud, they can convince me of anything”

I still wasn’t getting it.

“I have to be sure of the facts before talking to them, I have to be prepared and have a good defense”

“So what are you going to do?” I asked her.

She smiled this time.

“Get to know you better, I need to be completely convinced about you, I need to be completely convinced that I want this, so that I can defend you, and us, the way that past Mel would have wanted”

I sighed and nodded.

“Well it’s not a terrible plan”

“I really want to make this work, and I don’t want my parents in the picture yet, be patient with me”

Patience was something I especially lacked. I already wanted Mel to be in love with me, I forgot a lot that Mel had only known me for 2 months in her mind.

“I will cultivate patience”

She smiled.

“C’mon let’s not think about this too much today, where are you taking me? Because let me tell you I’m starving!” she said putting her hands to her stomach and making a face.

I had almost forgotten about the surprise party, I had left everyone waiting.

“Right”

“Food, please!” she begged turning the car on for me.

I laughed as she took control of the music right away.
I began to drive home, she kept on pointing out all the fast food restaurants we passed, wanting to stop to eat there.

“Where are we going? Are we going to your house?”

“Yup”

“John!”

“There’s bread and cheese and ham at home, I’ll make you a sandwich”

She looked at me in disbelief.

“There better be a dinner served at your house right now or we’re done”

“You would break up with me over dinner?”

“You bet I would, I haven’t eaten in more than 6 hours”

When we arrived, I quickly texted Pat letting him know we were there. We walked together to the entrance with her suitcases. The house dark, it looked empty.
I put the key and opened the door, the house still dark, we walked in as I turned on the light.

I was expecting them to come out from hiding.
There was no one in the house.
Mel looked at my confused face. She looked around and there was really no food.
She pouted.

“Are you serious John, are we really eating sandwiches?” she complained.

“Well that wasn’t the-”

I was super confused. I hurried over to the backdoor, she followed me.

“Where are you going?” she was asking me as I opened the door, and there was everyone.

“Welcome back Mel!” everyone exclaimed, we were both surprised. I had given them specific instructions and they had gone against them. I looked over at Pat and Garret laughing at my reaction.

Mel looked over at me surprised and then at the crowd of people.

“Hi there everyone” she said shyly, everyone clapped as if she had won some kind of award. I heard someone turn up the music and the place came alive. Everyone coming over to greet Mel.
I thought she would be overwhelmed but she was extremely gracious about it. Greeting everyone, people she had met and people she didn’t remember.

I left her alone for a bit, walking over to where Pat and Garrett were.
They saw me walking towards them and made a run for it. I simply shook my head.

“She seems really happy”
I looked over to the voice talking to me, it was Jared with two cups. He handed me one. Some kind of punch.

“I’m really happy she’s back home” I said to him before taking a sip.

“Sorry about the surprise”

“Nah it’s okay, stupid Pat, I know it was him”

“Yep, it was, but hey it made things more fun” Jared said and laughed.

I looked over at Mel who was now looking for me.

“I’ll leave you two, I’m going to go sit with Tessa”

I nodded as he left and Mel walked up to me.

“You planned me a party?” she said in awe.

I smiled gallantly, she smiled back.

“Weren’t you starving?” I said imitating what she had done earlier. Hands to my stomach, making a face. She laughed.

“I got so caught up with greeting everyone I forgot, c’mon, let’s go get our food together” she said taking my hand and leading me to the table. We had a long buffet of food.
I just watched her a she marveled at all the food.

Serving herself and then asking me to take her plate as she served me.
The cool music in the background, her at my house in my backyard, all my friends gathered in one place.
I was feeling extremely grateful, extremely grateful to be living.

Had I chosen the other path a couple of years back, I would have missed out on so much happiness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Final chapter for the week!!! What did you guys think?!?! The next one is super special for me so make sure to read it on Monday! Subscribe and comment, would love to get to know all of you readers! How long have you guys liked The Maine?