Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 35

The next morning…

I walked over to the door of my parent's house and knocked.
My mom right away opened the door.

“Why are you coming so late?” She complained.

“I was making breakfast”

“You already ate?” she asked a bit upset.

“No, I wanted to eat with you guys, I just made food for-um”
I wanted to tell them the truth about John and for a brief moment I had confidence.

“…Mom, I need to talk you guys”

“You’re acting really strange, come inside”

I walked in and saw my brother sitting there on the couch. His kids playing on the carpet.

“Oh my gosh, are these your kids?” I asked shocked. His kids were so old now. He looked at me and blinked a couple of times.

“Mel, you look different”

“Well, yeah, I haven’t seen you guys in ages”

I rushed over to hug his kids who were just awkwardly standing there, not knowing who was hugging them. I hadn’t seen them since they were babies.

We all sat at the kitchen table, as my parents attempted to make small talk. I really wanted to tell them about John but they all seemed so uncomfortable to begin with, I wasn’t sure it was the appropriate moment.

“So, what is it you wanted to tell us?”

Everyone was looking at me now.

“I wanted to ask you guys a question really” I said flipping the anxiety over to them.

“What is it?” my dad asked.

“If you could remember one day in your life, in full detail, what day would you choose?”

They all looked at me confused, my brother looked at me like I was crazy.

“A day?” my mom asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, like for example, maybe the day my brother was born? Or something else?”

They all shifted uncomfortably.

“I mean, I would kind of want to remember the day I lost my iPod” my brother answered. How random of him.

“How come?”

“Then I would remember where exactly I lost it, and probably would be able to go back for it and it would still be here with us, that thing had some amazing music”

I smiled.

“Yeah I do wonder what happened to that iPod, but anyways, what about you mom?”

“I-I don’t know, maybe the day I got married” she said laughing a little.

“That would be a good day to remember, what about you Dad?”

“Probably the first date I went on with your mother”

I smiled.

“But you know what’s good about these things? You still remember them, just not maybe in full detail, but you remember all the good times with your iPod, and you remember your wedding day, and you remember that first date with mom…you know what I would like to remember?” I said looking at my brother, then and my mother and lastly at my dad.

They were all waiting, a bit off guard, not knowing where I was going with this.

“I’d like to remember the day I first fell in love”

My mom coughed, she right away took a sip of water.

“Your first love?” my brother snorted. Trying to play it off.

“Yeah, I mean you guys said I didn’t date anyone in high school but I mean c’mon everyone has at least a high school crush, it’s a bummer that I can’t even remember that”

“Well honey, you know you’re in a very unfortunate situation, but you can always fall in love right now and experience it”

“You’re right” I said and smiled, I continued eating my food.

They right away shifted conversation to my brother, asking about his wife and his life. If they had only known I was preparing them for the future conversation we would be having.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nice and short. Been so busy working! I work all day tomorrow but I hope I can catch up on some writing on Sunday! Love you guys! Sorry for the short chapter!