Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 4

11 years ago...

“John O’Callaghan” I heard a voice call me out.

I remember looking up startled, I was taking a quick nap before class started.

“Melody Riley?” I asked confused as to what she wanted.

“John”

“Mel” I replied.

She grabbed my hands, getting my attention for sure.

“Please pretend to be my boyfriend, please” she begged.

“Why, what’s going on?”

She let go of my hand and sat on top of my desk table.
She let out a heavy sigh.

“Greg, he wants to ask me to the homecoming dance”

“Then what’s the problem?” I asked confused, Greg was a popular guy.

“You know I don’t like to go to those things” she said her voice getting higher and quieter.

“You could just tell him you don’t want to go to the dance, you don’t need me” I said to her not understanding her point.

She looked at me with those eyes that always made me feel a pain in my stomach.

“John, I don’t want to go with him” she sighed. She seemed genuinely upset.

“Well I don’t want to be your fake boyfriend” I said a bit bothered. I know I was her closest guy friend but I didn’t want to be used by anyone and that included her.

“You don’t want to be my fake boyfriend?” she asked again.

“No!” I replied annoyed.

“Will you be my real boyfriend then?” she asked.

A smile spread across her face when she saw my face expression change. She looked down blushing.

“Mel” I said not being able to tell if she was messing with me or being serious.

“Is that a yes?” she said grabbing my hand again.

She had a way of driving me insane, I always forgot how to speak around her.

“You really want to date me?” I said standing up. I knew how that intimidated her.

“I’m sorry John” she replied this time grabbing onto both of my hands, one with each hand of hers.

“I tried not to, but I fell in love with you” she said looking me straight in the eye. The girl was serious.
People started arriving to class.

“Mel” I insisted. She noticed my uneasiness, people were staring at us.

She held onto my hand and pulled me out of the classroom, down the hallway, outside the building.

“John, I’m not messing with you. I’m being sincere with you”

“I know but gosh Mel, you always catch me off guard”

“Date me John, date me” she begged as she wrapped her arms around me tightly. Her head to my chest. I had been crazy about her since freshman year, I needed to find the right words to reply back.

“I’ve always been yours” I whispered to her, hugging her back.
She looked up at me with wide eyes.

“You’re right” she said shocked. “Why did I even doubt it?”

“We’re going to be late to class you know?” I said to her. I expected her to be worried but she grinned instead.

“I’ve never been late to class” she replied letting go of me.

“But why do you seem so unconcerned?”

“Because I’m with you” she said and smiled.

I couldn’t help but smile back, the girl was smooth.
The English language never left her like it did me.