Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 47

It was a Friday morning and John and I were lying on the floor of his living room, Ruby at my side. We had tried everything to beat the heat but it wasn’t working, it was only 10 am and already 98 degrees, it was expected to reach 120 by noon. Even with the A/C on blast, the heat was unbearable.

“John, I’m going to die today, it was nice knowing you” I exaggerated as I closed my eyes trying to think of a beautiful fresh forest, trying to imagine myself there.

“I’m dying first” he scoffed wiping the sweat off his forehead.

“I guess we’ll die together, what do you want your tombstone to say?”

He laughed.

“I haven’t given it much thought”

“Me either, but with this heat, we might as well write our wills”

We continued on the floor like that, listening to John’s music, meditating on life, but the heat was only rising and rising.
Our music was interrupted by a call.

“Who is it now?” John complained as he was forced to get up from the floor to reach for his phone.

“What’s up Pat?” he answered, he put the phone on speaker and laid back down.

“Bro, are you busy?”

“Not necessarily, I’m lying on the floor with Mel and Ruby trying to battle the heat”

“The floor?”

“Yes, are you judging us?”

“I mean whatever works for you guys, but anyways, great I’m glad Mel is there, I wanted to ask you guys something”

“Well, go on”

“You remember like maybe 8 years ago, how we couldn’t handle the heat so we tried to go to another city where the weather was better but we somehow ended up in Cali?”

I looked over at John shocked. He laughed and nodded.

“Yeah, how can I forget?”

“Well anyways, Ken was wondering if you were all down to go to Cali for the weekend, that way we can reminisce on the good old days and well not die here in Arizona”

He looked over at me.

“You want to go?”

“To Cali?” I asked shocked.

“Yeah, I think it would be real fun, but you let me know, we can either go to Cali or burn here in Arizona”

“Heck no! Come pick us up Pat!” I screamed laughing.

Pat laughed.

“Alright, we’re taking the van, all our girls are coming too”

“I haven’t met your girl so it will be fun!”

“For sure! We’re all trying to hurry and get things ready, we want to leave by midday”

“Sounds good, see you then” John said and hung up.

“I guess I’ll go get my things at my apartment and come back” I said sitting up.

“Don’t die on your way to the car”

“Goodness I’m afraid to even open the door, I’ll be back”

He nodded as I went out the door.

I quickly ran to my car, I tried to avoid getting a burn so I placed a blanket over the seat but it was still extremely hot.

I couldn’t believe we were actually going to California, but anything sounded better than staying home in the heat.
♠ ♠ ♠
If all goes well, maybe I'll post before Monday again. We'll see. I just recently got a new job and will be starting my second job tomorrow, so it will be a busy week! Hopefully I can get some writing down, all my ideas are ready and in my head, just a matter of laying them down. Hopefully you are doing well! Thank you to the 25 of you still reading! Much love!