Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 7

“I’m an idiot” I said to the guys as I laid on the couch with a massive headache.

“Just can’t believe you bumped into her, New York is huge, yet you managed to find her on the street” Kennedy said to me from the kitchen.

“Next time, don’t take Jared” Pat added laughing. I looked over at Jared lying on the other couch with a headache as well. Both of us hungover.

“I’m just surprised after all you did she still gave you her number, I think with memory loss or without you’re still her style” Garret joked but he was right. Had she truly seen me as a creep she wouldn’t have given me her number.

“So when are you going to call her?” Pat asked looking at the note with her number on it again.

“She told me to call her when my conscience hurt”

“And what, it doesn’t hurt yet?” Pat asked laughing. His laugh worsened my headache.

“Pat, just shut up” I replied bothered as I sighed and covered my eyes with my arm.

“Calm down, we’re leaving. You guys have fun resting up” Pat said patting my shoulder. Pat, Garret and Kennedy all exited out of the house. Jared had knocked out again. I stood up and thought of the only person to call. My mother.

The phone rang, and I thought it would go to voicemail but she answered in time.

“Hello?”

“Ma!”

“Shane?”

“Ma it’s me John, c’mon don’t you have me saved on your phone” I complained but laughed a little.

“Sorry John, I just didn’t look to see who was calling, you and your brothers all sound the same on the phone” she apologized. So typical of my mom.

“Ma!”

“What’s wrong honey?”

“I did something stupid”

“Again?”

“Mom!”

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding, what happened?”

“I went to see Melody Riley”
She went silent.

“And what happened, did she remember you?”

“No, of course not…she doesn’t remember anything but I screwed up, I left her some orange roses at her workplace and I mean I wasn’t planning on ever encountering her again, that’s why I left them there with no explanation but she saw me staring at her at work and questioned me”

“And then what happened?”

“Well, I spotted her again yesterday outside of a concert”

“Outside of a concert?”

“Yeah”

“Did she recognize you?”

“Yeah, and she bugged me about having left the roses, she demanded to know who I was”

“And you didn’t tell her?”

“Ma, you know I’m not supposed to. We were a thing of the past and even if I told her who I was, there’s no point, she can’t remember me. So I didn’t tell her and went inside the venue but mom this girl, she’s crazy, she bought a ticket and followed us in”

My mother laughed softly.
“And you still didn’t tell her huh?”

“No, but she somehow figured out I’m in a band and she looked us up and found out we were from Tempe and she pieced things together. She knows we once knew her, she left me her number so I could apologize to her and explain myself”

“Well are you going to call her?”

I sighed.

“I just don’t get it John; how did her family manage to erase every trace of you?”

“I don’t know but they did”

“All the pictures, all the poems, all the gifts you gave her, you still have them”

“That’s what I’m saying ma, there’s no point in me calling her, to explain something to her that she can’t remember, even if I have all of those things, they mean nothing to her now…and if her brother or her parents were to find out they’d come and kill me”

“It’s been 10 years John, her brother, her parents, they probably regret what they did to you two by now”

“I guess you’re right but I don’t know…I’ll see what I’ll do, thanks mom, I love you”

“I love you too John, let me know how it goes.”

“I will, bye”
I hung up and collapsed onto the couch again.
If I called and explained, there was no turning back. I’d be re-entering her life.
Would it be worth it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Four subscribers! You guys don't know how happy it makes me to finally be sharing this story with the world! C'mon don't be shy join in on the fun and subscribe, you get to read a whole novel for free!