Status: In Progress

First Base

I-Tryouts

Alex swears he wants to be on the baseball team, in theory. He wants to play baseball and he wants to work with a team he just isn't so thrilled about having to stay after school for 3 hours every day. His dad jokes around calling these qualms his “commitment issues” but standing up to bat at tryouts in his brand new cleats Alex feel pretty good. He’s always been more of a football guy thanks to Jack who can tell you the life story of every player in the whole NFL. He likes the fast-paced chaos of the game but seeing as at the age of 16 he barely topped 130 pounds he figures that sport wasn't in his near future.

Nano had pitched on the team last year so he convinced Alex to try out. Nano’s presence is comforting and scary because if Alex fails miserably he’ll definitely tell all his friends. He is grateful to have somebody he knew all the same. Alex sucks it up, smiles at Nano and hit a pop fly out to left field that the outfielder probably should have caught but it bounced right off his glove so Alex is sitting pretty at first base. He's forgotten all his lazy complaints by now and was focused entirely on the game. He gets a double on his second up and that sends him flying. He doesn’t score on his third hit but he feels good for his next at bat and is bouncing on the balls of his feet. Nano is gesturing frantically past him and he looks to the catcher who’s looking up at him. He’s kind of chubby, his brown hair sticks out from under the mask he has pulled up to look at Alex. His eyes are a mellow brown. He doesn’t look striking in any manner but he seems pretty friendly. He has all his pads and a school jersey so he probably made the team last year. He’s still looking up at Alex so he smiles nervously down at him. The kid pulls his mask back down and signs quickly at Nano. He’s out as Nano throws three quick pitches right past his bat.

Rian does really want to play baseball and he had experience. He’s mildly confident in his ability to be a catcher as last year he’d made the team as a backup but Hedges, their starting catcher, had graduated and they were in the market for someone new. Rian wants desperately to make the starting line-up. He is hitting well enough considering the competition's pitching left something to be desired. The kids are split into two teams to have them play a scrimmage. Rian's always got one error for every batter cycle and that's really bad. He doesn't know what's gotten into him until the boy steps up to bat the third time. He’s just wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a shark on it and simple athletic short but he has brand new cleats. Rian comes to the conclusion he’s probably played a game of baseball twice at most. He's got tons of brown hair going every which way. Rian could see the way he scrunched up his face to squint at Nano and how he wiggled his whole body, in a rather unorthodox manner, to brace for the impact. All this caused Rian to be late on his calls again and coach tells him to stop daydreaming and play. Nano was trying to glare at Rian from the mound but was quite obviously holding back laughter. The kid looks down at Rian, he’s confused. Rian's infatuation pays off in the end because he knows from watching very intensely exactly what he did last time so he signs quick to Nano who nods immediately and the kid is out in 3 pitches.

Rian watches him walk to the dugout and almost misses a wink from Nano. Rian at first is glad he's on a different team for his front row seat to every up but it also means every time Rian gets to sit down the boy is out on the field and he never gets to actually talk to the kid or ask his name. He's got a big grin on his face and Rian really wants to know this kid. His arm is kind of weak playing second but Rian can tell he’ll get a lot better with practice and he knows their coach does too as he sneaks at a glance at his notes. When the game's over Rian is quick to ask Nano.

“Who's that kid?” Rian points to him.

“He's nice, kind of Jack's best friend.”

“I thought you were Jack's best friend?”

“Yeah for periods 5, 6, 7 and 8 but I don't have my 1, 2, 3 or 4 classes with him and that guy does.”

“I don't have any classes with him.”

“We have chem with him!”

“Really? And I didn't notice, he seems really cool.”

“Sure, you think he seems ‘really cool’” Nano does air quotes unconvinced. “He sits directly behind you.”

“What's his name?”

“Go talk to him yourself for god's sake!” Rian waves him off and gets into his mom's car. She smiled at him.

“How'd it go? Meet anyone new?”

“Pretty well. Just Nano but I think I'll make a friend next time.”

“That’s good to hear.” She’s silent for a while but Rian is beaming in the seat next to her. “You seem really happy about it.”

“I guess I kind of am.” He shrugs but doesn’t drop his smile.

“Sure, honey.” She laughs.

“What?” Rian turns to her.

“You’re glowing.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He exaggerates crossing his arms over his chest but he knows she’s right and Nano probably is as well but that doesn’t mean he’s going to admit it to himself. He’s just excited about meeting new people and baseball season starting again. Jack texts him later that night asking about practice and he deletes a very long overly excited response in favor of a simple “Fine” because it’s more than likely that Nano asked Jack to send that in order to elicit some sort of response from Rian. Rian is not going to give him that satisfaction. Sure enough a few minutes later he has a text from Nano.

From: One Billionth
I can’t believe you told Jack baseball was ‘fine’

Rian wishes he was surprised by that childish behavior.

To: One Billionth
It was fine

Rian is quick to reply and knows Nano’s probably sitting in Jack’s room giggling about how Rian is hopelessly in love with this boy in stupid t-shirt despite the fact Rian doesn’t even know this guy’s name let alone like him in any way shape or form. Rian just sits at his desk and tries to distract himself with math but his phone keeps vibrating and eventually, he picks it up. Every notification but one in Nano sending him snapchats from this kid’s story and Rian does add him because he’s funny and sweet but his snapchat is under the name “Dog Boi” and so Rian hasn’t really learned anything there.

The next day at school Nano and Jack bound up to Rian gesturing dramatically to the boy who stands a few feet behind them talking to Zack. Rian just shakes his head and walks up to them he greets Zack familiarly and turns to the boy.

“Hey, I’m Rian.” The guy smiles at him.

“Alex, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” Nano claps him on the back.

“I hate to ruin the moment but I didn’t do the chem homework so I need one of you to cough it up so I can copy.” Rian and Alex simultaneously sling their backpacks off and produce the work. Nano snatched them both. “Perfect, a mix of two people’s answers makes me way less suspicious.” Rian shakes his head. When they’re settled into chem Rian receives a text from Nano.

From: One Billionth
I can’t believe he said it was a pleasure to meet you
To: One Billionth
Really? That’s totally a normal thing to say to someone
From: One Billionth
Yeah, if ur 100 years old
To: One Billionth
Shut up and pay attention we have a test tomorrow
From: One Billionth
I’m not saying anything but he was wearing a scarf so he’s definitely gay
To: One Billionth
I swear Nano sometimes I don’t know why I put up with you

Nano sticks his tongue out at Rian from two seats down but returns to his work. Halfway through chemistry, they’ve gotten to the chatty part of the class when they’re all just filling out worksheets so Nano saunters over sitting backward in the seat next to Rian so his paper is set on the cool black surface of Alex’s desk. Rian turns his chair out to talk with them. He can’t begin to think how he just didn’t notice this guy because they hit it off immediately; it’s all going well until Rian admits he’s never seen Star Wars and Alex looks like he might strangle him. Here right in front of Alex is the cutest person ever and he wants to scream but his first thought is to make the baseball team.

After school, Alex and Rian are the first ready so they stand awkwardly next to each other making small talk before the rest of the kids wander onto the field. It’s a co-ed team as there weren’t enough people to form two separate teams. Alex stares at the shiny silver detailing on his cleats rather than looking to see if Rian is watching Gabi, who Alex lost his shortstop position to very deservingly, Ilene and the nine other girls walk onto the field. Alex feels like he’s got to make the team continue to hang out with Rian so when practice is over he hops over to Rian seeking help.

“Hey, so I wondering…” Alex is swaying nervously as he asks Rian “I really want to make the team and I get the general ideas you know but I need some help on the technical stuff. Would you be willing to help me.”

“Yeah, absolutely, but honestly the fact you’re going out of your way to do this tells me right now you’re going to make the team.”

“Thanks, coach!” Alex does a mock salute and turns on his heal to get in his car. On the way home, Rian is grinning again.

“So. You make that friend you were telling me about?” His mom asks.

“I think I did. Would it be okay if my new friend Alex came over after tryouts tomorrow?”

“You know it would.”

“Thanks, mom!” She smiles up at him as he practically skips up the stairs to his room.

From: One Billionth
I can't believe he actually asked you out on a date.
To: One Billionth
?
From: One Billionth
Alex totally just asked you out I heard the whole thing I have it recorded on my phone it’s my new favorite song when are you getting married?
To: One Billionth
He asked me to teach him how to play baseball that's not romantic please shut up
From: One Billionth
You shut up!! It's gonna be gay trust me
To: One Billionth
Dude this is like a thing that dads do
Rian immediately regrets sending that text.
From: One Billionth
That could be a thing ;)

Rian elects not to respond and again focus on his math homework that he has yet to make any progress on after fifteen minute because every time he picked up his pencil his phone would vibrate. He puts it on silent and tries to focus on inverse functions. He manages it and when he picks up his phone after dinner he has a text
.
From: (410)738-9343
Hey, this is Alex, Jack gave me your number I was wondering if we’re confirmed for tomorrow after practice?
Rian is quick to save his number and slow to formulate a response he deems appropriate but casual.
To: Dog Boi
We are! My mom can drive us. You can stay for dinner if you want but don’t feel like you have to.
From: Dog Boi
Sounds great! I will stay for dinner.
Rian’s channel surfing a few minutes later when Nano calls.

“I can’t believe he’s going to meet your parents on the first date.”

“I swear Nano. It isn’t a date and I don’t even like him come on just let it go. He’s a good kid.” Nano whistled.

“Damn Ri, that’s harsh.”

“How?”

“Whatever just wait until you see him in those polyester pants.”

“You don’t even know he’s going to make the team.”

“So you admit you’re looking forward to the polyester pants.”

“Nano, you have a one-track mind. How did you even know he was staying for dinner?”

“I’m with him at Jack’s.”

“Right now?”

“Right now.”

“As in he could hear this whole conversation and knows about it right now?”

“No, you idiot I told them I had to go to the bathroom who do you think I am?” Rian lets out a sigh of relief. “So you admit you like him?” Rian hangs up on him. Nano returns to Jack’s room where he’s failing miserably at Mario Cart.

“So Alex how are you feeling about baseball practice?”

The next day Rian is up bright and early. He’s ready for the math test he has today, he got all of his chem homework done and he had already sent a picture of it to Nano so he doesn’t have to worry about him getting caught copying it. All is well except that inside Rian is seriously freaking out about Alex coming over. The last thing Rian wants to do is make him uncomfortable and Nano is seriously toeing the line. Rian loves the guy but he doesn’t really have a filter and with Jack, there’s no predicting what they’re going to say. He tells himself they can't do too much damage in one day but he knows that isn't true. He makes it through chemistry with Nano and lunch with everyone; soon it’s the end of the day and nothing has gone terribly wrong. Practice begins and Rian takes his place behind home pulling his mask on. Alex is up and he does his little wiggle and Rian’s long gone. Nano doesn’t even wait for his signs because he knows exactly what they’re going to be and strikes Alex out. Nano pulls him aside as soon as he’s off the mound.

“You know I’m your biggest supporter in this whole endeavor but if I have to improvise one more pitch I’m going to run you through.”

“There is no ‘endeavor’ I just get distracted.”

“Yeah, I noticed and I don’t care what you try to pass it off as but come on man. We aren’t lasting a day if you’re too busy ogling to give me signs.” Nano claps him on the back and goes up to bat. After practice, Rian sits in the backseat of his mom’s car next to Alex.

“So Alex,” Rian’s mom begins, “I’ve heard a lot of very vague but positive things about you.” Alex leans forward in his seat so he can see her through the gap in the two front seats with his head rested in his hands.

“Really?” His voice is sweet.

“Absolutely. Rian has not shut up about you but I don’t even what grade you’re in.”

“I’m a sophomore just like Rian.”

“That’s nice, you a baseball fan?” Alex leans back momentarily.

“Not really, to be honest, I’ve always been more of a football guy, thanks to our friend Jack, but I don’t think I’m really built for that.” Rian’s mom laughs glancing back at him.

“I agree with you on that one.”

“I really wanted to be in a sport, though, I’m familiar with baseball I just know the technical aspects and that is why I am here in your car because your son agreed to help me out with that.”

“I wish you luck.”

Once they’ve set their things down Rian and Alex make their way to Rian’s backyard where Rian hands Alex a baseball and asks him to show him how he’d hold it if he was about to throw it. Alex sort of hamfistedly wraps his fingers around the ball and Rian knows Nano said this was supposed to be “gay” but Rian really just wants to stab himself in the eye because he’s just so wrong. He contains himself and moves Alex’s fingers apart explaining that holding the ball with all of his hand increased drag and lessened his control. Alex is patient but Rian can tell he’s probably a little embarrassed. By dinner time they’ve fixed up his grip, his stance and follow through, and he knows how to put a glove on properly.

“So do you think I have a chance?” Alex asks when Rian’s dad calls them in for dinner.

“Definitely. You know all the rules and you’re a super quick learner I don’t want to be mean but you were super wrong about almost everything but you could have fooled me. You are super good at pretending you know what you’re doing.” Alex laughs at himself obviously relieved by Rian’s honest response.

“It’s one of my best skills.” After dinner, Alex is lying on Rian’s bed playing a game of cards and he feels a lot better about everything. He knows Rian likes him at least a little bit and that puts Alex on the top of the world.

“I should hang out with you, Jack and Nano more,” Rian says as Alex is leaving and he’s a little bit totally crushed by that but he pushes forward.

“We should hang out more.” Alex hugs Rian quickly and waves goodbye. Rian calls Zack to ask him about a project for English they’re working on together but the subject of their conversation changes quickly.

“So Nano told me you had a date today.”

“And you believed him?” Zack’s laugh sounds like static through the phone.

“I’m optimistic.”

“Well, I didn’t have a date.”

Alex has very different opinions on what happened which he expresses very passionately over the phone to Jack.

“Oh my goodness! He’s the best person I’ve ever met. I adore him.”

“Slow down there bucko.” Jack teases but Alex just keeps going.

“And his mom is so nice and he has pretty hands and I have to make the baseball team and if not I’m going to every single game.”

“You will.”

“Also! There is so much I didn’t know about baseball. It’s like really complicated but I know so much more and I feel low-key ridiculous now like I was even holding the ball wrong that’s just sad.”

“Yeah, man baseball is a super technical sport.”

“I feel good, though, he said they need a first baseman because nobody really wants to play first because it’s where they alway put the weakest arm but it’s easier if you’re tall and I’m sort of tall.”

“You are.”

“I was feeling really good about this whole thing you know like he touched me a lot. Not in a weird way you know what I mean.”

“I do.”

“Anyway I was feeling really great but then when I was leaving he said he wanted to hang out with and I quote ‘you, Jack and Nano more’ so I’m not going to lie that really hurt but then I hugged him and it wasn’t weird so like two steps forward one step back.”

“He probably just didn’t want to weird you out.”

“You think I weirded him out?”

“No. Jesus man pull yourself together.”

“I can’t! He’s got me all over the place, Jack, I’m in love with him.”

“You say that every time.”

“Yeah but this is different.”

“You also say that every time.”

“I hate you.”

“Goodnight.” Jack shakes his head but Alex can’t see him

“Night.” Alex flops backward onto his bed kicking his shoes off and just staring at the ceiling. He’s so giddy he almost forgets to worry about team assignments after school tomorrow but the thought catches up to him. He lays trying to simultaneously to not think about not making the team and trying to figure out what he would do if that did happen. His brain puts him in a vicious cycle and every situation ends in Rian hating him so he just decides to go to sleep early instead of torturing himself further. The schools day seems to drag on forever but when practice finally arrives Alex is more than ready to play his very hardest. By this stage of the game, there are only 20 people left who are eligible for the team and the coach is willing to take 15 kids on. As soon as they start Alex sees how much Rian really helped him. With his pointer finger out of the back of his glove, he can catch way more easily and his throws go way farther. He plays better than he ever has and when the games over there’s no doubt in his mind he’s going to make it.

They all stand in a line before the coach and his assistant, former player now a college student. It feels like the hardest thing Alex has ever done in his life even though he’s just standing and when the coach looks down at his notes Alex wants to collapse and hope Rian, who’s standing beside Alex, will catch him on the way down. It’s a blur in Alex’s mind. Nano gets the starting pitcher position they all knew he would and Rian manages to beat Ilene for starting catcher. First baseman is the next position to be called and Alex swears he blacks out for a second but the next he’s looking at Rian with a huge grin on his face and he knows it’s going to one hell of a season.