Status: In Progress

First Base

II-Sleepover

They all go to Nano's house afterward and Jack’s there waiting for them. When Nano sees him sitting on the porch he grins at Alex and Rian and rubs his eyes so they look red. He sniffles dramatically and throws himself at Jack wailing. Jack’s eyes get wide as Nano pretends to bawl. Alex and Rian stand behind him trying to look somber but it’s difficult not to laugh. Nano looks up at Jack his eyes welling with tears, his lip quivering and kisses Jack. He drops the facade.
“You just kissed the Barbarian’s starting pitcher.” He smiles. Jack tries several times to form a comprehensive sentence.
“I can’t believe you.” When Jack has recovered from his initial shock they make their way inside. Nano lays on the floor dealing cards
“Wait why are you dealing three cards at a time this is heresy.” Alex turns his nose up at Nano.
“It's not heresy, it's pinochle”
“Only old Italian people play pinochle.”
“Well, last time I checked I'm neither of those things and Jack and I play all the time. So shut up.” Alex begrudgingly does, but not before whispering to Rian about how Nano and Jack are definitely not playing pinochle. Rian laughs and Alex can feel his breath on his neck.
Nano and Jack win by a very large margin so a second game is out of the question. They dismiss an array of board games before Jack asks where Zack is.
“I invited him!” Nano's defensive. “I swear I did but he said he didn't want to be fifth wheeling.” Rian furrows his eyebrows in confusion.
“What's that supposed to mean.” Alex pretends to shoot himself in the head at his mildly disgusted tone. Jack looks sympathetic. Nano tries to save the situation.
“Nothing, I'm sure it was a joke.” Rian doesn't respond. Nano stands awkwardly. “Alex, come downstairs with me to get some snacks.” Alex is quick to follow him down the stairs.
“He hates me. It's over.” Nano leans against the kitchen counter shaking his head.
“Typical.”
“What?”
“Yesterday you told me you were in love with him.”
“I know. I know.” Alex sighs opening the refrigerator and browses its contents for a few seconds before he looks up confused. “Wait. I didn't tell you that. I told Jack.”
“And you seriously expected him not to tell me? I thought you supposed to be the smart one.”
“I'm the smart one?”
“Don't get cocky. It's in relation to us.”
“Rian's pretty smart, though.”
“Of course you think so but considering the fact your hands are halfway down his pants and he hasn’t gotten the hint yet, I wouldn’t anticipate too much for him.” Alex takes a long drink from the can of soda he took from Nano’s fridge and sighs.
“I’m going to ignore what you just said and return to the actual subject of our conversation. I’m seriously doubting I have a chance with him. You know that girl Kara he dated last year.”
“How’d you know about that?”
“She told me, anyway, she said she wanted to get back together with him.”
“That’s never going to happen.”
“I wish I believed you but she’s so cool.”
“Forget her, just focus on him. She doesn’t matter right now.”
“‘She doesn’t matter’ oh my god Nano. He’s not fucking gay.” Nano just shrugs. “That was seriously suspicious but I know it’s not your information to give out so I’m going to take this box of Cheez-Its upstairs and live my life like this conversation never happened.” Nano claps him on the back.
“That’s the spirit.” Alex runs back up the stairs and returns to his seat beside Rian. Jack is thumbing through channels on the TV.
“There’s nothing interesting on,” Jack complains.
“You’re just too picky.”
“Fine, I’ll choose.” Jack proceeds to play Harry Potter in Spanish.
“Are you trying to prove a point because I speak some Spanish.”
“Well sorry, they aren’t playing it in Arabic.”
“You know like three words in Arabic, shut up.”
“That is not true.” Jack waves the remote around, gesturing dramatically. “You hear me talk to my mom in Arabic all the-” Jack’s sentence is cut off by Nano jumping onto his the to snatch the remote from him. Alex quickly scoots backward into Rian to avoid the impact. For once he doesn’t fixate on their position and practically launches himself down the stairs, chasing Nano.
“Hey,” Alex shouts. “I was watching that!”
“You don’t even speak Spanish.” Nano retorts turning the corner quickly and running down the hall.
“We had foreign language at my elementary school I’ll have you know.” Alex jiggles the handle to the door of Nano’s parents' room as Jack pounds incessantly on the door.
“Yeah, and you took Japanese you weeb piece of shit.” Nano releases the lock on the door suddenly and Jack and Alex stumble forward into the bedroom as Nano leaps over them sprinting back up the staircase to where Rian is laughing at them from above. Nano holds the remote above his head triumphantly. Jack and Alex wallow in defeat on the cool tile floor below as Nano tauntingly dangles the remote over the railing of the staircase.
“Make sure he doesn’t throw it at you,”Alex warns Jack. “That’s the starting pitcher for the barbarians and if he wanted to he could knock you six ways to Sunday with that remote.” Rian laughs at his use of the idiom and moves forward to address the boys below.
“Alex, you talk like you’re 100 years old.”
“Is that an insult?” Alex’s teasing expression doesn’t accurately portray the genuine anxiety he feels in anticipation of Rian’s answer.
“No, it’s pretty cute.” Alex blushes and Rian smiles down at him.
“I’m glad you think so.” The rest of the night passes without a hitch. Alex wakes the next morning tied to Nano’s bed frame. He rubs his eyes with his left hand trying to grasp the situation. Alex pulls himself up awkwardly.
“Hey!” Alex calls out the door. Laughter can be heard from downstairs as Nano, Rian, and Jack clamber up the stairs. Nano gestures wildly holding a bowl of fruitloops sloshing the milk all over Jack.
“Ha!” Nano points at him.
“What the hell is this?” Alex shakes his hand that is tied to the bed frantically.
“We pranked you!”
“Yeah, I know,” Alex says through gritted teeth. “Why?”
“Jack said we were getting too gay and should mix it up a bit.”
“What do you mean, too gay? We are gay!” Nano looks taken aback. “Well I’m not 100% sure about Rian but I have my suspicions.” Rian just shrugs. “Still Inconclusive.” Alex winks at him. “All that aside. Tying me to your bed does not make you less gay. In fact, in the context of that sentence, it seems gayer.”
“It was funny, though.” Alex laughs softly at him.
“I guess.”
“That's the spirit. Now wiggle your almost concerningly skinny wrist out of there and have breakfast.” Alex gets his wrist out and narrows his eyes at Nano.
“You want me to make you pancakes don't you?”
“Absolutely. It’s why we invited you.” Alex hits him playfully and pulls Rian down the stairs. Alex puts them to work.
“Jack I need you to measure me a cup and a half of flour,” Alex says pulling a large mixing bowl out from under the counter.
“Where would that be.”
“This is not my house. Now! This recipe is supposed to feed eight people but I’m sure we can scarf them down.” He pours the dry ingredients into the bowl. “Nano I know you had half a bowl of fruitloops earlier but I have faith that you aren’t going to let that affect your ability to eat pancakes for two.” Nano salutes him.
“You know it.” In due time they are sitting around the table in silence mouths full of pancakes. Rian sets his fork down for a second to breathe.
“Oh man, Alex. This is so good. Marry me.” Alex’s eyes go wide with delight at the sound of that. Nano and Jack smile at him.
“I do.” Rian laughs.