Status: In Progress

First Base

IV-Game One

The next week the whole team stands in a line before Flyzik and their coach. He’s checking off names as they pile into a bus for their first game. Alex is on the verge of visibly shaking out of anxiety.

“Everybody knows’s your first game of the season is the least telling of your actual skill. Don’t worry about it.” Rian tries to reassure Alex but he can tell Rian is almost as nervous himself. They spend thirty minutes wedged into the bus. Rian drapes his arm over the back of the seat and scoots toward Alex to make it so Nano isn’t hanging halfway off the edge of the seat. Alex gets pinned between Rian and the metal gum covered wall of the old school bus which he isn’t huge fan of so he turns into Rian placing a leg between Rian’s and returns to listening to Flyzik’s speech.

Rian might try to pay attention if it wasn’t the same at the beginning of every game. Nano is leaning over the front of his seat talking to Clara, his relief pitcher, so Alex has Rian’s undivided attention. He’s moved even farther into Rian’s lap to see over the seats. His eyes are wide and attentive as Flyzik addresses the team, kneeling backward in his seat to face them. Rian can’t blame him for being enthralled, he loved Flyzik’s speech the first fifty times but it, like anything else, got old. Rian wants Flyzik’s spiel to last forever because now Alex has placed a hand on Rian’s shoulder to steady himself. With that thought, Flyzik ends his lecture.

Alex draws his hand off of Rian’s shoulder but he doesn’t move back. Rian doesn’t get too excited about it as the wall he had been sitting against has wads of gum stuck all over it. Alex fiddles with the snaps on the back of his hat. Rian puts an arm hesitantly around Alex’s. The move doesn’t go unnoticed but isn’t addressed verbally, the goal. Nano remains his nosy self and winks at Alex. Alex sticks his tongue out back at him.

“Why do we have sit three in a row?” Alex squirms, and Rian has to keep himself from squealing.

“Dumb district policy.” Nano answers smirking at Rian. “We don’t technically have enough people on board for a bigger bus but because we have to bring all the gear for the game we end up squished.”

“Every year, we’re like 3 people under. Sometimes Coach will let us bring a friend just to make the cut but last year Nano brought Jack along -”

“Whipped,” Clara shouts from where she’s been listening in her seat across the row.

“Maybe I am!” Nano hits her playfully.

“-and he got into a fight, he is passionate if nothing else.”

The bus stops in front of a high school. They file out. Alex bounces excitedly with his hands on Nano's shoulders. The pour into the dugout and become a flurry of anticipation and cleats. Alex is ready quickly but he ties his shoes 3 times before he's satisfied with the result. Flyzik ushers them all onto the field for the coin toss.

Alex ends up next to Flyzik, who puts an arm around Alex’s shoulder and pulls him close as the referee tosses the coin.

As the coin flies in the air the sun glints off its surface and everything Alex has done to get to this point flashes before his eyes.

He can see Nano dragging him down the hall and leaning over his shoulder to make sure Alex puts his name down on the roster for tryouts. He remembers asking his mom to ask their doctor for a physical, he remembers buying cleats with his dad and he remembers standing up to bat for the first time. His most prominent memory is looking down at Rian with a huge smile on his face. It’s their very first game but Alex feels like he’s been with the team for a lifetime.

The coin makes a solid sound as it hits the damp grass of the field below. They all lean over trying to get a look and Alex looks with them. The tails side is displayed on the side up at them. The team all sighs and moves back toward the dugout grumbling quietly.

“What does that mean,” Alex asks at full volume without thinking. All eyes are on him. He loves to be the center of attention but this is an entirely different story. No one speaks until Flyzik pushes Alex toward the dugout.

“We’re up first.” Alex doesn’t respond he just sits between Nano and Rian. Neither of them say anything but Rian helps Alex to put his gloves on right. He tugs roughly at the velcro to get it properly tight. Rian pushes his bangs to the side as he pulls his cap on. He has a semblance of confidence about him. The timidness he often sported was no match for his skill as a catcher. Alex loves the sight of it.

Gabi was the first up to bat, strong arm who held the position of short-stop. She swings, two strikes. They’re less than ten minutes into the game and Alex is on the edge of his seat. The pitcher throws a ball. She shuffles slightly measuring the distance from the plate and faces the pitcher. She gets a hit and just barely makes it to first base. Wide smiles spread across the faces of every member of the team but Flyzik who remains visibly emotionless.

Thomas is up next, an unassuming left fielder. Alex doesn’t know him well, no one seems to, but he’s been nothing but kind to Alex. He holds the bat in position gets a hit to right field. An outfielder catches it and he’s out.

Alex is up next, still proud of having a spot so high on the roster despite the fact Jack has told him a million times that doesn’t really mean anything. He swings the bat in his hands. Rian gives him a thumbs up. The pitcher is a tall blond kid, he sneers at Alex from the mound. Alex does his wiggle that Rian loves so much, the Pitcher laughs and Alex just smirks at him.

He can hear the hard crack of the ball hitting the bat, his follow through perfectly matches Rian’s advice, he loosens his grip on the bat and sprints toward first. He makes it. Alex can hear Rian shout excitedly from the dugout, he feels like the king of the world.

Flyzik is up next, the team’s pride and joy. The pitcher intentionally walks him. This loads the bases with one out.

Rian’s up next, the pitcher winds up and sends a ball right in the center of his strike zone. Rian swings, and the ball goes foul. He’s out in four more pitches.

Two outs with three men on base. The pressure is suffocating.

Aly, their right fielder, rises to the occasion. She smiles smugly at the pitcher. He throws a pitch; she swings and hits it out of the park. Gabi, Alex, Flyzik, and Aly run the bases home.

Nano is up next, he strikes out.

Alex fits his glove onto his left hand and slinks through the gate along side all the other player in the field. A hand hits his ass hard and he whips around Gabi is smiling at him.

“This is baseball, sweetheart, get used to it.” Alex just stares at her in disbelief. “Come on kid, get to your position.” Alex moves quickly to first base and tries to keep his breathing even. Hitting is all well and good, but if you mess up no one blames you. Missing a catch is another story.

Nano winds up winks at Alex and throws the first kid out. The second person up is a girl, she’s not wearing batters gloves and towers over Rian and the umpire standing behind him. She hits the first pitch but it rolls before Gabi can get to it. Gabi sends the ball whizzing toward Alex and he jumps to catch it. Alex lands his right foot on the base just before the girl hits it.

“Out!” The umpire calls, the girl glares at Alex.

“Fair and square.” He smiles at her. She flips him off. Fran, on second base, sees this and scoffs. The rest of the game passes is a blur, the other team scores three runs and they get one more. By the end Alex is a smiley sweaty mess.

Flyzik pulls him into a big hug lifting his feet off the ground.

“Pretty great first game huh?”

“Perfect,” Alex replies when Flyzik sets him back down.

“You did great,” Rian says placing a hand on his back. “You really absorbed that stuff I taught you. I could see it, your form was amazing.” Nano nods in agreement.

“Big improvements little guy.” Alex rolls his eyes at the rather inaccurate nickname and pushes Nano playfully. Flyzik ruffles Alex’s his hair but Alex bats his hand away.

“Come on, Alex, your the team baby.” Flyzik teases him.

“Please! Fran’s a freshman, take this out on her.” Alex ducks away from Flyzik and leans forward, Alex drapes his arms over Rian shoulders.

“Hey Fran,” Flyzik calls. She looks up.

“Yessir.” She salutes him he pats her on the back.

“I like this one.” She smiles leaning into him. “Will you agree to take Alex’s place as team baby?”

“Will you carry me around?” Flyzik laughs.

“If that’s what it takes.”

“Okay.” Flyzik picks her up and throws her over his shoulder.

“Damn Matty, if I had known that was part of the deal I would have kept the job,” Alex calls from where he’s still leaning on Rian.

“You should have read the fine print, my friend,” Flyzik replies and deposits Fran back on the ground. Nano exchanges a shocked look with Rian.

“Since when were you okay with being called Matty?” Nano exclaims, incredulous. Flyzik smirks at Nano.

“Since the beginning, you were just afraid to. This one.” He gestures at Alex. “Had the guts to do it.” Alex blows a kiss in Flyzik’s direction. Flyzik pretends to catch it. Rian frowns.

Frivolities aside they all pile back into the bus. Alex ends up wedged between Rian and Flyzik this time and he couldn’t be happier. Rian, on the other hand, is not too thrilled. A few hours ago he’d be giddy about sitting in the same row as Flyzik but this isn’t at all how he imagined it. Alex and Flyzik are so flirty with each other and Rian would love to attribute it to familiarity but they just met. Alex sits right in Flyzik’s lap, giving Rian plenty of room but isn’t worth it. Alex dangles his leg over the edge of the seat, in the isle, he has one arm circled behind Flyzik’s head and the other rested on the back of the row in front of him.

Rian doesn’t have any right to be mad because he and Alex are far from a thing but he can say it hurts. Nano doesn’t seem to notice, too enthralled in this new and exciting development on the Flyzik front. Flyzik’s shell seems completely cracked and that just makes Rian feels worse. Rian and Nano had spent all of last year just trying to figure out what Flyzik’s real first name was and here was Alex who had just sauntered in and opened him up like a book. Alex and Rian don’t speak for the rest of the bus ride.

The trio regroups when they’re dropped back at school. Flyzik says a polite goodbye with a wink toward Alex. Nano almost squeals but he holds it in until Flyzik is out of earshot. Nano places both hands on Alex’s shoulders and shakes him excitedly.

“You broke Flyzik!” It isn’t an accusation but a congratulation.

“He’s been like this all along you guys just never had the nerve to actually talk to him.” Nano just smiles in disbelief.

“I like old Flyzik,” Rian grumbles. Both of them frown at him.

“He’ll grow on you.” Alex reassures him with a small smile and a squeeze to his shoulder. Nano opens his phone and looks pointedly at them.

“Do you want to stay over at Jack’s?”

“Sure.” Alex’s answer is quick. “Let me just text my mom.” Rian opens his mouth to say something and closes it again, thinking. Nano glares at him.

“Yeah, I guess so.” The answer doesn’t reveal much about what his original choice would have been but Nano’s smile does; he was expecting Rian to say no. Alex wonders why Rian wouldn’t want to come. Alex pretends to pay it no mind, snatching Rian’s hand and dragging him playfully in the direction Nano is leading him.

Jack lives just a few blocks north of the school. Alex has been to his house almost every day after school since the beginning of ninth grade; it’s like a second home. Alex stays latched onto Rian, determined to discover the problem without actually asking. Nano knocks loudly, Jack’s mom answers the door. She’s on the shorter side and incredibly inviting. She smiles at them.

“Boys!” She ushers them into the house. “Rian we hardly ever see you around here and Alex and Nano, it feels like it’s been ages.” Nano and Alex both smile and laugh, they were over yesterday. “Well go on! Jack’s upstairs waiting for you I’m sure.”

When they open to door to Jack’s room he is laying face down on his bed, fast asleep.

“You texted him not 10 minutes ago!” Jack wakes at the sound of Alex’s voice. He looks around him, disoriented.

“Jack,” Nano shakes him lightly. “It’s not even 5 yet. What are you doing?”

“I’m resting.” Jack bats Nano’s hands away. “I got like two hours of sleep last night because I was studying for that stupid chemistry test that didn’t even happen.” Nano kicks his shoes off and sits down next to Jack on the bed. “That’s what I get for studying.” Nano rolls his eyes. Alex drops his backpack on the floor and flops down onto the bed next to them.

“Dude, you’ll never believe what Alex did to Flyzik.” Rian sighs, and Alex picks up on a common theme. Rian isn’t a fan of talking about Flyzik. Alex ushers him over sitting forward so Rian can sit behind him.

“I really don’t see what the big deal is.” Alex plays his cards carefully with Rian in mind.

“Are you kidding?” Nano gestures wildly. “He’d shown about as much emotion as a cinderblock until you showed up.”

“I don’t think so, you guys just didn’t really try to know him.” Alex leans back, his head resting on Rian’s chest.

“Whatever,” Nano shakes his head. “I like fun Flyzik.” Nano leans over and pokes Alex in the stomach his voice taking on a vaguely sing-song tone. “And it looks like you really like him.” Alex can feel Rian tense behind him.

“Please, he’s like a million years old.”

“Come on Alex, you know he’s only sixteen.” Alex does his best to shrug.

“I still don’t like him.”

“Ugh! Such an opportunity lost. How can you be so blind?”

“I’m not saying he isn’t cute I’m saying I don’t like him. Two entirely separate entities. If you care so much date him yourself.” Jack sits up at this suggestion.

“Don’t do that.” Nano and Alex laugh but Rian is still resigned to himself.

“I don’t want to talk about Flyzik anymore. What’s important is we won the game.” Alex says and Rian sits up placing an arm around Alex’s shoulder.

“What was up with their team?” Rian says, beginning to open up.

“They were so mean!” Nano nods vigorously.

“I mean it could have just been us.”

“I don’t think so, I got a girl out plain and simple and she flipped me off. I’ve never played a game before but that seems pretty extra.”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it though, most of the teams are super friendly. Baseball isn’t exactly an angry sport.” Alex nods.

“We’re off to a good start though,” Rian reassures everyone and with his words, they’re called down to dinner.