Sequel: The Raven
Status: Active ♥

A Heart Worth Loving

Consequences

If she concentrated hard enough and blocked out everything going on around her, Layla could feel her mom’s spell. It thrummed within her bloodstream and sent small electric like waves through her entire body, but there seemed to be no way of undoing it.

Climbing out of the car as Damon pulled up outside the Bennett house, Layla shivered involuntarily and flinched as he snaked his arm around her waist for support. It didn’t take Sheila long to answer, ushering them through to the living room as soon as she set eyes on Layla and motioning for Damon to help her to the couch.

“What happened?” Sheila asked, running her hand over Layla and frowning.

“Her mom hit her with a spell.”

“Do you know what spell it was?”

“Yeah, it’s supposed to numb the heart of supernatural creatures that are in love with humans,” Damon explained, “Is she going to be okay?”

“I don’t know,” Sheila replied honestly, “Her mother’s spell was strong and meant for a supernatural victim, I have no idea what effect it will have on Layla.”

“You can undo it though, right?” Damon added, crouching down by Layla’s head and gently carding his fingers through her hair.

“I can, but I’m going to need Bonnie’s help and it is going to be extremely painful for Layla.”

“You can’t do it yet,” Layla argued as she pushed herself into a sitting position, “Undoing my mom’s spell could temporarily take my magic and I need it... is there some way of slowing the effect of the spell without taking away my ability to use my magic?”

“Layla...” Sheila began, but Layla knew what she was about to say and looked at her pleadingly, “I can do that.”

The spell took half an hour to complete, but finally, it was done and Layla felt a wave of relief wash over her as Sheila’s spell settled into place.

“How long will that spell last?” Damon inquired.

“Three days, but I would say two just to be on the safe side,” Sheila told them, looking at Layla with a serious expression on her face and continuing, “You know the consequences if the spell is not undone in time.”

“I do.”

Standing up, Layla nodded in understanding and followed Damon outside to his car. She knew that her gran had already left when she arrived home, finding a note and some money on the kitchen table.

“What are the consequences that Sheila was talking about?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Layla replied, “All you need to know is that I am fully aware of what will happen if my mom’s spell isn’t undone and I made my decision... it’ll be fine, Damon.”

It was obvious that he didn’t believe her, she didn’t even believe it, but she was willing to carry that secret and follow through with the rest of her plan. She hated lying to him, but he would try to stop her and she couldn’t let him do that.

Damon soon left to meet Stefan at the Grill and fear immediately crept into Layla’s chest, but she refused to let it beat her. Making herself some dinner, she sat in front of the television and put on some random show to watch while she ate.

Sleep didn’t come easily that night and Layla headed into school the next day feeling a little worse for wear, but nobody mentioned anything. She knew from the concerned glances that Damon had told Stefan what had happened the day before, but that wasn’t really a huge surprise to her and she couldn’t be angry at him.

“Are you all set for tomorrow night?” Tyler asked as she ate lunch with her friends.

“Yeah, I just need to check the crypt out and make sure it’s going to be stable enough to hold.”

“You’re still going through with the plan?” Stefan added, looking at her incredulously and causing Layla’s heart to clench at his worry.

“There’s no reason for me not too,” Layla lied with a shrug, finishing her food and heading back into school without another word.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥

What are the consequences? Will Layla be able to fulfil her end of the the deal?