Sequel: Target Practice

Jersey City

Chapter Two

The group had thankfully managed to avoid peril for a while, but their travels had been anything but easy. Their last encounter had left them all tense; they talked very little as they continued walking.

Finally, they happened upon a grocery store where they could restock on water and food. Sebastian had considered trying to find some sort of bag or backpack to replace his stolen bag, but there didn’t seem to be anything like that in the store. He and Elliott agreed they could share one bag for a while, and probably for the rest of their journey.

Kurt was very anxious to get to the gun store. They had had one too many close calls for his comfort, and they needed better weapons. The sooner they were properly armed, the better he would feel.

Really, the sooner they were out of this fucking city, he’d feel better. Right now, he was as on edge as he’d been during his solo trek through New York City to find Adam; it had only been about a week or so since that day, but it already felt so long ago. He felt like a different man now, more hardened, more street-smart (although, he still clearly had a lot to learn), and, unfortunately, less hopeful.

He hadn’t lost all sense of hope yet, but, still, he found it increasingly difficult to be optimistic, to even imagine things could get better instead of worse. He’d just seen too much already.

But, things could be worse. He had Adam, and they had their friends, Sebastian and Elliott. They all had each other and little else, and for right now, that was enough. And Kurt would be damned if he let anything happen to change that. Things could be much worse, and that was exactly what Kurt was afraid of.

When they finally reached the gun store, Kurt could breathe a little easier. “Okay,” he said, more to himself than the others, “What should we get?”

Nine millimeter ammo was a very common type of ammunition, and thus, would be easier to restock in the future. Twenty-two might also be easy to find, and might do more damage. Then, of course, there was the idea of carrying a shotgun. Kurt pondered as he looked around the deserted store.

Adam followed him closely, and he noticed the other two watching him from a slight distance. “So, Hummel, do you know anything about guns?” Sebastian asked, at last, “‘Cause, uh, we don’t.” He indicated himself and Elliott. Then, he added, “And I’m guessing pretty boy over there doesn’t either.”

Adam gave him a look, then turned back to Kurt and said, “He’s right actually. I’ve never so much as held a real gun. I’m not even certain I’ve ever seen one up close.”

“I’m no expert,” Kurt responded, “But my dad taught me how to shoot when I was younger, so I know a little.”

“Well, you’re as good an expert as we’ve got then,” Adam commented.

Kurt nodded, and then, he relayed some of his thoughts to the group, “I’m thinking we should all carry handguns because they’re easy to carry and conceal, if we need to, and we should get ones that take nine millimeter bullets because they’re common, which means restocking our ammo might be easier.”

He reached into the already broken, glass display case and took out a sharp-looking 1911 pistol. He examined the weapon closely and nodded. He hoped it was a good choice; admittedly, he couldn’t be completely sure. He may have been this group’s “expert”, but that didn’t mean he knew very much at all nor that he was totally confident in what he thought he knew.

He grabbed another gun of the same model and handed it to Adam, quickly explaining some of the basics to him as he showed him the weapon. Then, he picked out a suitable holster. Since they were both right-handed and carrying the same type of gun, Kurt handed Adam an identical holster.

They loaded their bags with multiple boxes of nine millimeter ammo. After some consideration, Kurt removed a few boxes to save room for other ammunition. He was still thinking about possibly carrying either a rifle or shotgun in addition to the pistol. Maybe he and Adam both could, since they had such a long way to go and who knows what kind of dangers still ahead of them.

Sebastian approached him with a semi-automatic rifle strapped to his back. “So, I have no idea how to use this thing, but I’m pretty sure no one’s gonna mess with me when I wearing it.”

Kurt scoffed. “Probably not, but if you accidentally shoot yourself or something don’t come crying to me.” He paused, examining a shotgun on the wall behind the display case. He looked at Sebastian skeptically, “Do you even know what kind of bullets that thing takes?”

“I’ll figure it out,” Sebastian said, looking through the ammunition.

“Could you please also pick out something sensible?” Kurt implored him.

“Yeah, yeah, alright,” Sebastian responded with a dismissive wave.

“You said nine millimeter, right?” Elliott called from a backroom of the store.

“Yeah,” Kurt replied, “I think that’ll be easier to find bullets for.”

“Cool.” Elliott emerged from the back with a box, presumably containing a pistol that took 9 millimeter rounds. Kurt thought he saw Glock written on the box. Elliott packed the proper ammo into his bag.

Sebastian approached him and put some other boxes of ammo into the bag. “I think I’ve got this thing loaded now. It takes these, I think.”

To Sebastian, Elliott said, “Go grab another one of these. I’d feel better if we both had one because that thing on your back honestly freaks me out a little.”

“That’s the point,” Sebastian retorted, “but I’ll get that one, too.”

While they settled that, Kurt picked up a twelve gauge shotgun and the proper ammunition for it, as well as a twenty-two lever action rifle and its proper ammunition. He got straps for both, and handed the rifle to Adam, briefly explaining some of the basics of the weapon as he had done previously with the pistol.

“I’m grabbing some targets, so we can practice one we’re in a safe place to do so,” Kurt told them, as he grabbed some paper targets and some tape, “I think Adam and I are good to go. What about you guys?”

“I think we’re good,” Elliott said as he placed his pistol into its new holster on his hip. “We don’t have as far to travel as you guys and only one bag to carry stuff, so we don’t need to get as much.” He paused, “Besides, I’m thinking of keeping this pipe.” He admired his makeshift weapon in his hand.

“You’re so weird,” Sebastian said, his own impromptu weapon already long forgotten.

“Alright,” Kurt said, interrupting their banter, “let’s get the hell out of here.”

As they left the store, Kurt made sure to show everyone some basics of safe firearm use. He hoped no one would have to use their new weapons just yet, but he didn’t figure they’d be so lucky, not with the way things had been going for them so far. Truthfully, Kurt wasn’t sure at this point whether he feared encountering zombies or other humans more.

--

The store was just out of sight behind them when they heard the sound of a gunshot. Kurt instantly drew his pistol, and they all fell silent. Another shot fired, closer this time, and soon more shots issued all around them, with bullets hitting several points near them as they quickened their pace.

A man’s voice shouted, “You in the wrong neighborhood, motha fuckas!”

Several other voices joined him in shouting various obscenities and epithets as Kurt, Adam, Elliott, and Sebastian broke into a full run.

“I just want to get out of this goddamn city alive,” Sebastian panted in frustration. A moment later he cried out in pain, grabbing his arm. “Ah, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!” It slowed him for a moment, but then he ran even faster.

“Seb!” Elliott cried, turning to look at him and slowing down slightly.

“Go! Go! Keep going!” Sebastian responded, “I’m alright!” He still held his arm and swore under his breath. When Kurt turned to check on him again, he could see that Sebastian was bleeding but he couldn’t tell if the bullet had gone in or just grazed him.

Just behind him, Kurt heard Adam cry out as well, and he knew Adam’s bad apocalypse luck had struck yet again. Before Kurt could ask, Adam said, “S’fine! Keep going! I- I think it just grazed!”

The four of them ran until they were essentially out of town, all but collapsing in the road of a quiet, seemingly abandoned residential area. Kurt still kept his weapon drawn. Once he’d recovered enough to speak, he asked, “Seb, Adam, you guys alright?” His breathing was still ragged as he spoke.

“I’m fine,” Adam replied, “Just stings like mad, but it’s nothing.” He turned his attention back to Sebastian who looked a bit pale and more than a little shaken up.

Elliott was trying to look at the wound. “It doesn’t look too bad. I-I mean it could be worse, right?”

“Yeah,” Sebastian said, his voice shaking slightly, “I could be fucking dead.” His knees buckled, and he hit the asphalt beneath him hard.

“Here, Adam and I have some first aid supplies,” Kurt said, coming closer, “Let me take a look.” There was a small hole in Sebastian’s left tricep. The bullet hadn’t gone through, and, in fact, Kurt could see it in the wound. “Elliott, I need that lighter.” In his own bag, Kurt searched for one of the knives, remembered they’d been stolen and swore. He quickly improvised by grabbing a spoon. Maybe that’d work better anyway, he supposed.

“What are you doing?” Sebastian asked anxiously.

“We’ve gotta get that bullet out,” Kurt replied, matter of factly, as he heated the spoon to sterilize it. “I, uh, I have no idea how much this will hurt,” he added, “Sorry.”

“Just… do it,” Sebastian said, “Get it over with.” Although, he shook his head as he said it, as if some part of him wanted to refuse. He looked away from Kurt, and his whole body visibly tensed. Kurt could see him trembling, but he wasn’t sure if it was from fear or some form of shock.

Kurt carefully placed the heated spoon in the wound, but Sebastian jerked his arm away involuntarily before the bullet could be dislodged. Sebastian was swearing loudly and was clearly in some sort of panicked state.

“Hold him still,” Kurt told Elliott and Adam, and they complied.

“It’s okay, Seb. It’s okay,” Elliott whispered, “Just breathe. This will all be over soon. Hang on.”

Kurt tried again, and Sebastian screamed and writhed, but the other two held him still enough for Kurt to work the bullet out. “Okay! Done! Look!” Kurt held up the small, blood-covered bit of metal. “Now we just have to clean it and bandage it.”

He retrieved a bottle of peroxide from his bag. “This is gonna hurt a lot. I’m sorry, Sebastian.”

Sebastian made no response; he merely panted and stared off. Elliott continued his attempts to soothe him. Adam watched Kurt.

“You’re next,” Kurt told Adam. To everyone, he said, “Alright, ready?” Then, he poured the cleansing liquid onto the small wound. Sebastian screamed anew and swore like crazy.

Using as little of their materials as possible, they then covered the wound with gauze and tape.

“Better safe than sorry,” Kurt said as he approached Adam with the supplies, “Simple infections are deadly nowadays.”

Adam nodded, clearly not enthused, but in agreement. “Don’t use too much though,” he said, “it’s really just a scrape. No big deal.” Kurt could see a hole in Adam’s shirt and blood staining the fabric all around it. The bullet had grazed his shoulder, much too close his neck for Kurt’s (and probably also Adam’s) comfort. “I wonder if this means my luck’s turning around. They might’ve killed me, but instead they just nicked me.”

Kurt gave a small chuckle. “I hope you’re right.”

Adam hissed as Kurt applied the peroxide. Once recovered he said, “Could probably just put a plaster on that, if anything at all.”

Kurt nodded, retrieved a relatively small adhesive bandage from his bag, and placed it where the bullet had grazed Adam. Then, he looked around. “Well, if there were any zombies or people here. They’d’ve probably already let us know about them.”

The sky was beginning to darken, and the sun would soon be below the horizon. The four of them were as tired as they’d ever been, and Kurt desperately wanted to stop and rest.

“So, can we stop here for the night?” Elliott asked, looking to all of them for a response, “It seems like it might be safe.”

“Yeah, let’s stop here,” Kurt said, “You stay here with Sebastian, and Adam and I will see if we can get into one of these empty houses.”