Status: Complete (I'll be posting chapters a little bit at a time)

Let's Pretend It's Love

Ten

“Presley, hurry up!!” Penny screamed from my bedroom. With a long sigh I zipped up my dress studying my reflection in the mirror.

When a woman announces she’s getting married it’s an unspoken understanding that for the next number of months leading up to her wedding, the world ultimately revolves around her. She’s the Queen and everyone must bow down. Whatever she says, you do. Even if it means getting out of your comfy bed and slipping into a tight red dress.

I snatched open my bedroom door with a roll of my eyes.

“I’m ready. Happy now.” I announced dryly placing my hands on my hips as I faced my twin who’d made herself comfortable on my bed.

Penny grinned nearly devilishly wide. “Wow, you look hot. I might even be into you. You filled out pretty nicely.” She replied tossing her hair over her shoulder whilst eyeing my bust. I rolled my eyes I searched around my room for a clutch to match my dress. “Honestly though! I thought your boobs would never grown in. Remember when you used to put tissues in your bra so the blokes at school would pay attention to you?” Penny asked. I didn’t even have to see her face to know she was smirking.

“Shut up, Pen. Keep it up and I’ll tell Liam about what you did during fresher week in Uni.” I threatened darkly as I successfully located my clutch.

I spun around to face Penny with a triumphant grin. I knew I had all the power now. Penny gasped narrowing her big brown eyes at me.

“You wouldn’t!” She shouted springing from her spot on the bed. A satisfied, evil smirk spread cross my face.

“Would.”

Penny scoffed. “Whatever. The girls are waiting in the cab.” She replied before turning sharply on her heel. I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself. I just enjoyed pissing Penny off. Besides, It would probably be the only fun I’d have tonight since I’d be spending the rest of the night with some of my least favorite people: Penny’s bridal party.

“What took so long?” Charlotte’s obnoxious voice rang once Penny and I had crammed into the cab. Penny tossed her hair over her shoulder.

“Presley here was acting like she was getting ready for a beauty pageant.” She replied jerking her thumb in my direction. “

Well, she looks pretty good, yeah?” Libby announced. I honestly want to like the other two but simply because they’re okay with Charlotte, I have to hate them.

“I reckon she looks okay.” Charlotte replied pursing her red lips. I gritted my teeth in frustration. I just don’t understand what her attitude is.

“Forget about it girls. We’re just having fun tonight.” Penny declared.

I sure hope I’m able to.

*******

The rest of the ride was spent with Penny and Charlotte gabbing about wedding plans while Libby, Ailsa and I made awkward small talk. Long story short, I was more than happy to get out of the cab once it arrived at the club. It had been a while since I’d been clubbing and as much as I’d much rather be in bed right now with my beloved Netflix and Ollie, I wasn’t entirely turned off to the idea. It’d be nice to grab a couple of drinks and flirt with a few random strangers for a change.

The music booming from inside the club pounded in my ear drums and pulsated through my body. It was almost like getting a chummy greeting from an old mate. During my years in University I was a regular at clubs but the closer I got to graduation and the more the reality of adulthood started settling in, the more they lost their appeal.

I tugged at my dress, somehow trying to make the fabric longer as I merged into the line of people entering the club. I was hoping escape from Penny and her friends, head straight for the bar and just cut loose when I felt someone tugging on my arm. I spun around ready to spew obscenities.

“Wait up for us, Presley! We’re meeting up with some people.” Penny declared clinging to my arm. This was my cue to to roll my eyes but I was too concerned with whom we were meeting up with to be annoyed.

“Who?”

Penny smiled. “You’ll see.” Came her vague response. As we maneuvered through the entrance of the dimly lit club I was already regretting tagging along. The music was so loud I could barely hear what Penny who was still clinging to my arm was saying but the lights were just bright enough for me to get a look at the guy she was waving down. That’s either a twin of David Beckham’s or Liam. 9 times out of 10 it’s definitely Liam and standing next to him is a lanky bloke with a very familiar head of unruly hair adorned by a very familiar looking fedora.

Shit! It’s Harry. All hopes of a fun night are gone now.

“Baby!” Penny exclaimed once we’d finally gotten close to the two snatching herself away from me to embrace Liam. I feel so stupid right now. I should’ve known better than to think Penny was going to spend a night out on the town with just her bridesmaids. She always has to find some way to sneak Liam into the picture. Those two act like they can’t breath without one another.

“You two just can’t stay away from each other, can you?” I questioned making my presence known as I stared at the couple in front of me.

Liam chuckled. “No, not really. Why else would we be getting married?” He replied with a grin before leaning in to kiss his fiance. I grimaced at Liam and Penny’s public displays of affection before turning to Harry who stood there rather awkward and pigeon toed in his ragged boots holding a martini in his hand whilst flashing his crooked smile at me.

“Fancy meeting you here.” I spoke forcing a smile as Harry moved closer. His green eyes scanned the length of my body.

“You look.. Wow.” He drawled still staring.

“Is that good or bad?” I questioned feeling a bit self conscious in my choice ofdress.

Harry smiled, his eyes scanning over me again.

“Good. Very good.”

I smirked. “ Is that for me?” I asked pointing to the martini in his hand. Harry nodded.

“A peace offering, yeah? Not sure what your drink choice is but I hope it works.” He replied.

I grinned. “It’s perfect. Greatly appreciated.” I replied taking the drink from his hand before leaning over and quickly pressing my lips against Harry’s. It wasn’t the most romantic gesture by it was just enough to keep Penny and Liam from being suspicious and it only felt appropriate at the moment. Hell, I’d kiss anyone who gave me a free drink.

Shortly after pulling away from a now grinning Harry, Penny tugged at my arm.“I wanted to surprise you! I knew you’d want to see your beau!” She exclaimed with a grin.

“Yeah, I’m thrilled.” I replied trying hard to not let the sarcasm ooze from my words before I took a sip of my drink.

Penny could have given me a warning that she’d invited Harry to come along so that I could at least be prepared. If I wasn’t already annoyed before, I was bloody mad now.“Listen, Li and I will catch up with you two later.” She spoke loudly before happily being dragged off by Liam. I sighed as I folded my arms over my chest, fighting the urge to roll my eyes as I turned to Harry.

“Well, looks like it’s just me and you tonight.”

“I like that idea. Wanna do some shots?” He offered with a grin . My eyebrows rose.

“If you’re paying I’m all for it.” Harry was silent as he took my hand and lead me towards the bar.

“I had no idea you’d be here tonight.” I spoke as I made myself comfortable at the bar.

Harry sighed. “Yeah, it was kind of a last minuet thing. Liam sent out a mass text telling everyone to come. The other blokes are here. I met them awhile ago. Nice lads.He replied casually as he watched the bartender prepare our shots.

I groaned. "This is the ile ago. worst thing I ever agreed to, Harry. I want out of this bridesmaids business.”

Harry smiled cheekily revealing his dimples “I thank God every day I’m a man.” He replied.

I scoffed and narrowed my eyes at him. “I would punch you so hard right now, Harry Styles but you’re buying me shots so I can’t find it in my heart to hurt you.” I spat as I took one of the shot glasses from the tray and downed it, throwing my head back as I let the alcohol burn my throat.

Harry chuckled. “You would never hurt me. I know that you secretly love me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Not in your wildest dreams, Styles.”

Harry smiled before leaning back in his seat and observing the many people out on the dance floor. Penny and Liam were amongst them and they could literally not keep their hands to themselves. I bet Harry and I looked like the kids at formal who sat on the walls of the school gym waiting for someone to ask them for a dance as we watched them.

“You think they’ll last?” Harry asked catching me off guard before he downed another shot. I was already on my third and feeling a wee bit tipsy.

“Who? Penny and Li? I reckon if Liam keeps going along with everything Penny says then yeah.”

Harry smiled. “They look really happy, though. Liam looks at Penny as if she’s some rare jewel.” He replied. I nearly spat out my drink in disgust.

“You sound like you came straight out of a cheesy rom com, Harry. It’s pretty obvious you’re a hopeless romantic with your scented candles and all. Go on dates. Get on Tinder. Go speed dating. Get laid. Be single and ready to mingle.” I slurred nudging him with my elbow. He turned to me narrowing his green eyes before shaking his head.

“What?”

Harry laughed softly.

“You’re so eager to hook me up with someone but what about you? I mean, don’t you want a relationship sometimes? Doesn’t it get lonely with just you and Ollie?” He asked.

I chortled. “No, no no. I don’t think you understand. I don’t do relationships. They’re just too much to handle. Boys only want love if it’s torture. Didn’t you learn anything from Taylor Swift?”

Harry scrunched up his nose before going for another shot. “What? No. She’s not even anywhere near my musical preference.” He replied.

I smiled. “It’s fun being single. You get to do whatever you want with whomever you want and that’s hella empowering.” I declared before downing another shot.

Harry stared at me with that crooked grin of his. “If you say so, Presley.”

All my anger and annoyance as was feeling before had now been drowned with alcohol. I was feeling rather lively and daring. I hopped up from my barstool. “Dance with me Haarry.” I slurred tugging on his arm.

“Not much of a dancer. It’s embarrassing, really.” He shrugged.

I giggled. “I’m sure you’re not all bad. Don’t be a prude.” I urged.

“Honestly, go without me. I’ll hold down the fort.” Harry replied giving me a small smile.

“Suit yourself.” I replied with a shrug.

“Have fun, love.”

I felt absolutely no remorse about leaving Harry at the bar by himself. Without Penny, her friends and Harry around, I was finally free to do what I pleased all of which included accepting drinks from a few admirers and snogging a stranger with dark hair, big hands and dreamy blue eyes.

“Let’s get away from this crowd.We could go to my place.” The stranger whispers against my skin.

If someone put a gun to my head right now and asked me the name of this guy who’s hands were practically up my dress I still wouldn’t be able to tell them. All I knew was that he could work magic with his hands.

“Mmm. I’d looove to.” I slurred tugging at his hair as he continued to ravish my neck.

I was confident that Ollie could behave himself in the event that I didn’t come home. Despite being too drunk to properly stand or think straight my mind quickly turned to Harry who was sitting at the bar with my clutch which held my keys and mobile, two things I would probably need before sneaking off for the night.

“Gimme a minute, yeah?’ I announced breaking myself away from his grasp. I stumbled over to the bar as best as I could without falling flat on my face. My eyes lit up upon seeing Harry sitting in the same place I’d left him a few hours before.

"Hey, you!” I announced whilst walking toward him. He flashed be a small smile that was short lived before his eyebrows furrowing in worry.

“You’re smashed, Pres. I should get you home."He declared rising from his seat and taking hold of arm.

I chortled. "I’m not going home tonight, Harrry. Gimmie my stuff.” I slurred reaching for my things that were still sitting at the bar.

“ I’m taking you home, Presley.”

I was already intoxicated and annoyed. Harry had completely pushed my buttons.

“ Stop trying to ruin my fun, Harry. Who are you to tell me what I should do? You’re not my boyfriend or anything close! I don’t even want you here right now.” I spat poking my finger into his exposed chest. All the annoyance and anger I was feeling toward Harry had come spewing out. Harry’s jaw clenched and his lips pursed into a thin line. I was too drunk to properly read his expressions.

“You’re right, Presley. You’re a woman, you can handle yourself. You should go.”

I didn’t even bother to give him a second look as I snatched away from him before storming off and pushing through the crowds of people praying that the handsome stranger was still waiting around for me.

I didn’t know what I was feeling at the moment. Sometimes I enjoyed being around Harry but other times like tonight, I couldn’t stand to even look at him. What I did know was that this relationship with Harry was destined to drive me mad