Status: Complete (I'll be posting chapters a little bit at a time)

Let's Pretend It's Love

Twelve

The next two weeks seemed to be a blur of work, paper cuts from mailing out wedding invitations and hearing Penny and Mum gab on and on about wedding plans. It all seemed to be punishment for missing out on a week’s worth of contact. Penny insisted that she needed my help to sort things out although I thought that was more of Charlotte’s job being that she’s the MOH and all. But I didn’t protest and chose to take Penny’s dependency as a compliment. As much as she annoyed me I felt it was my duty as her sister to help and busying myself with wedding plans was a good way to distract myself from He who shall not be named.

“Are we still on for dinner with the Paynes Friday?” Penny asked whilst forking a tomato cherry around on her plate. I swear, all she ever eats these days is salad. I stared outside the cafe window, nibbling on my pasty and bored as usual with the conversation. Mum always seemed to drag us into her monthly lunches and the conversations never failed to end up being all about Penny.
“Karen called yesterday to confirm, so yes.” Mum replied whipping the corner of her mouth with a napkin.

“I was secretly hoping they’d cancel. ” Penny sighed. This was unusual of Penny to lack enthusiasm for anything that had to do with Liam.

“Why do you say that?” Mum asked stirring her soup.

Penny sighed. “Liam and I haven’t exactly told them we’re engaged. We just told em we wanted the families to get together.”

My attention was instantly drawn back to the conversation. Looks like Penny’s gotten herself into a proper mess. For once it’s her and not me and I think I’m enjoying it.

Penny sighed and tossed the lettuce on her plate before turning to me. “Presley, I need you there for moral support. Liam already invited Harry so you’d be more comfortable in case things got awkward."

Just the mention of his name made my stomach churn. And not in the I like you so much the mention of your name gives me butterflies type of way. More of the "Not you again.” I’m dreading seeing your face kind of way. What is it with Penny and Liam inviting Harry to every event without telling me before hand? He’s supposed to be my boyfriend after all. Shouldn’t I invite him to these things?

“Well, he has yet to tell me but I suppose he was going to. And sure, I’ll be there.” I reluctantly replied like the good bridesmaid I was learning to become. I couldn’t find it in me to be furious with Penny. I should just except the fact that she and Liam are always going to invite Harry to things without my consent.

Mum pursed her lips into a tight lipped smile. “Might as well invite the whole family, yeah?” She replied her tone sharper than I reckon she meant for it to be. Ever since I brought Harry to dinner the first time she’s been so cold every time someone brings him up. I don’t know why she dislikes him so much. He’s not all bad. Proper annoying, yes, but nevertheless not all bad.

“You honestly deserve a nobel prize or something Presley!” Penny exclaimed in excitement.

“Honestly, it’s no problem.”

It’s scary to think how much of a master liar I’ve become in the past few months. It just started with one little lie that turned into a thousand more. I just keep digging my grave deeper and deeper.
*****

If Penny thought she was the only one dreading dinner with the Paynes, she couldn’t be more wrong. I knew for sure I was being dragged into something that would most likely end in disaster. As evil as it sounded I was praying that something, anything might happen that would stop Karen and Geoff from coming. A natural disaster, food poisoning just anything to get myself out of this situation. Unfortunately, Friday finally rolled around and I found myself in a cab heading toward Mum and Dad’s favorite restaurant. I assume Mum made dinner reservations there just to keep Karen and Geoff out of her home.It was much like her.

I hadn’t heard anything from Harry regarding dinner all week so I happily assumed that he’d changed his mind or maybe even forgot about it. I didn’t need him there to make me feel more comfortable. With or without him I knew for sure I wouldn’t be having a good time.

Just as I expected I was late for the 6:30 dinner I didn’t care an ounce. I casually searched around the restaurant, hoping to see a familiar face. Thankfully I was able to quickly spot Penny and Liam who were sat at an oblong table and dressed to the hilt.A woman who I assumed was Karen sat next to Liam while a man who I assumed was Geoff sat next to her at one of the head chairs. Mum and Dad were sat in the same fashion at the other end of the table. A head of familiar unruly curls sat next to dad with a vacant chair at their side which I assumed was left for me.

I tried not to panic as I approached the table, silently praying that maybe Liam had a brother or something that he’d invited to have dinner with us that just so happened to have the same hair as Harry. Maybe, just maybe the odds would be in my favor tonight.

“Ducky! You made it!” Dad greets upon my arrival.

As if on cue everyone’s head seemed to sweep in my direction and I locked eyes with a familiar set of mischievous green ones. Well, there goes my night. The universe wins once again.

I forced a smile trying to avoid everyone’s gaze. “ Hello everyone."

Dad smiled. "Beautiful, innit she? That’s my other baby girl, Presley.” He announced to the other end of the table.

Harry grinned standing up from his seat.“I’d sure say so. Hi, love. Saved you a seat."

He took hold of my hand pulling me close to him before pressing a quick kiss to my mouth, a bit of stubble that I didn’t even know existed on his chin tickling my face. I didn’t really know how to feel about our public displays of affection. Harry and I had never really discussed what we’d do in front of others so I was certain I’d be in for a surprise every time. He then proceeded to pull back my chair and I quickly mumbled a thanks before taking a seat. Everyone’s eyes still seemed to linger on me, especially Mum who appeared to be shooting daggers in Harry’s direction.

"What a lovely family you have, Emily.” Karen exclaimed to Mum.

“Thank you. So has everyone decided what they’re having?"

Harry shot me a small smile while gently sliding a menu in my direction. I didn’t bother to look at it, already certain of what I wanted so I took a moment or two to study Harry instead. He’d ditched his usual floral print for a white pin stripped button up that was paired with a suit jacket. He looked so casual but oddly classy.

"I want steak. And potatoes” I announced whilst adjusting my silverware. Penny who had yet to say anything tonight popped her head up from looking at her menu.

“T-that sounds really good, Pres. I think I’ll have the same thing.” She replied nervously.

Dad cleared his throat and looked between the two of us as if we’d suddenly grown two heads.

“ Presley Anne and Penny Lane! It’s Friday!” He exclaimed incredulously
“So.” I challenged. I glanced over at Harry who’s face held an amused expression. He just loves seeing me tortured, I reckon.

“What would your Uncle Paul say?” Dad asked. I groaned and Penny looked absolutely terrified. Liam’s face held a blank expression since I’d arrived and I was worried that he’d stopped breathing. Harry only grinned wider, his dimples denting his cheeks.

“ Daddy! You’re embarrassing us all!” I exclaimed.

“Geoff, leave the girls alone, they’re grown women. They’re allowed to eat what they want.” Mum insisted. For the first time in awhile I actually liked her.

“Actually, I think that’s a good idea, not eating meat on Fridays. We should both try a vegetarian entree. It’s healthier, cupcake.” Harry spoke placing his hand on top of mine. I nearly gaged. I thought we agreed that cupcake was not a pet name he could use.

“I want steak, Harry. ” I retorted glaring at him from the corner of my eye and spreading my napkin over my lap.

“Suit yourself but your Dad and Sir Paul are right. Cutting meat out of your diet one day out of the week won’t kill you, babe. I want to live as long as possible, don’t know about you."

His life won’t be much longer if I have anything to do with it.

"See, this is why I like him, Ducky.” Dad insisted.

I simply rolled my eyes.

“Do we want a wine for the table?” Karen suggested.

“Wine. Good idea, love.” Geoff agreed.

Something tells me we’re all going to need our own personal bottle of wine before the night is over.

Dinner seemed to move so slowly, mostly consisting of Mum and Dad making awkward small talk with Karen and Geoff and Penny and Liam only speaking when spoken to. Harry joined in every once and a while when asked a question. I tried my hardest to stay out of the conversation making sure to stuff my mouth with as much steak as possible.

“Liam, you’re so quiet tonight.” Geoff announced whilst forking the stray noodles that were on his plate.

“Yeah, there must be something you wanted to tell us, making us come all this way here, yeah?” Karen insisted.

I looked over at Penny and Liam who both looked as if they’d just seen ghost. I almost felt sorry for them. Almost. But this was golden, once in a lifetime entertainment that I wasn’t going to miss out on. The tension in the room was as thick as a blanket. Maybe Karen and Geoff couldn’t feel it but Mum, Dad and I all could.

“Umm. Yeah. We do actually.” Penny choked.

I caught a glimpse of Harry from the corner of my eye who’s eyebrow seemed to be permanently raised. I assume Liam didn’t give him any warning when he invited him to dinner. I’m not surprised, really. I reach over and grabbed his hand somehow hoping to keep his mouth shut. The six of us stared in silence watching as Penny and Liam struggled to form their words. I swear, If they don’t say anything we’ll be here all night.

“Penny and I are engaged.” Liam blurted. My eyes quickly swept in Karen and Geoff’s direction for a reaction.

After what felt like forever, a smile settled on Geoff’s face.

“Proper! Congratulations, son. How long has it been?”

Liam sighed a sigh of relief before aimlessly moving his fork about his plate. "Bout a month or two.“

Karen was simply quiet and I assumed she agreed with her husband. That is until she burst into tears.

"My little boy got engaged and no one told me??” She sobbed.

I took a deep breath. Just when I thought things might actually turn out okay.

“You knew all this time and you didn’t even think to tell me?” She pointed her fork at Mum accusingly.

Mum sighed. “Now Karen, I thought it might be appropriate for the kids to let you know. It’s their wedding after all.”

My mother’s reasoning was in vain and Karen simply turned to Penny to unleash her feelings.

“And you!! You’re taking my boy away from me and you never once let me know! How rude of you!!"

By now I was sure everyone at the table was on high alert. The other families and couples that were dinning in the restaurant were beginning to stare. Karen was making a massive scene. Harry’s grip on my hand tightened and for some odd reason I really didn’t want to let go.

"Karen! Karen, control yourself!” Geoff pleaded. Karen abruptly stood up from the table, violently snatching her napkin off her lap and storming out of the restaurant leaving the echo’s of her sobs behind her. Geoff politely excused himself to go after his wife. I sighed. It’s moments like this when I really appreciate being single.

The remaining six of us all exchanged glances. Liam’s face was a shade of red I’m sure didn’t even have a name yet and Penny’s doe brown eyes had gathered moisture. If this is what she’ll have to deal with for the rest of her life I really do feel sorry for her.

Harry straightened his posture and cleared his throat. “So, anybody know any good jokes? I’ve got some good ones.”

Jokes? He can’t be serious.

“Harry!” I scolded

“What? I’m trying to break the tension here. S'all.”

I could nearly feel the daggers that Mum was sending our way.

“She hates me!” Penny wailed, finally breaking down.

Liam shook his head vigorously. “No. No. Don’t think that, Pen. Please don’t.”

Penny’s only response was to mimmic Karen’s behavior as she stormed out of the restaurant, Liam frantically following close behind. I wasted no time reaching for the half full glass of wine in front of me and guzzling down a good amount. I don’t know about Harry but this is my cue to leave.

“Umm. Harry and I have to get going. This was.. nice.” I announced dryly whilst standing up from my chair and straightening my dress before tossing a few notes on the table.

“We don’t have to rush off, love” Harry smiled.

I felt a wave of annoyance bubbling in my chest. It’s almost as if he’s learned exactly what makes me tic.

“We both have work in the morning, cupcake. Let’s go.” I lied through clenched teeth.

He slowly stood up from his chair, reaching for my hand. "Nice you see you all again. Thanks for the invite.“

I didn’t even give my parents enough time to respond before pulling Harry out the restaurant’s doors and onto the busy city sidewalks. I groaned snatching my hand away from his.

"That was absolutely terrible!” I exclaimed to no one in particular.

“It wouldn’t have been so bad if you’d let me tell my jokes.” His deep, slow voice filled my ears and I felt him fall into step next to me.

I intentionally planned on catching a cab but at the last minuet I’d changed my mind and decided to take a walk home. Maybe it would clear my head and calm my nerves. The sun was beginning to set and the temperature had plummeted. I wrapped my arms around my body for some warmth.

I scoffed. “It wasn’t appropriate for the moment, Harry. Plus I bet your jokes suck."

Harry scoffed matching my previous one. "I’ll have you know that I am quite the comedian. Just ask my mum.” A smile grew across my face for the first time that night.

“She only told you that to spare your poor, fragile feelings.” I retorted. He chuckled.

“You just don’t know real comedy.”

There was silence between us for a while the only sounds audible were the bustle of traffic and Harry’s worn boots hitting the pavement. I’d expected him to be gone by now and it felt strange having him follow me.

“I’ve missed you.” He blurted breaking the silence. The eventful dinner wasn’t nearly as shocking as the statement that hung in the air.

“You what?"

"I’ve missed you.” He repeated, this time slower.

I tugged at the corner of my lip with my teeth. “Who are you and what have you done with the Harry Styles I know?"

I paused taking a moment to look at him. His eyebrows furrowed deeply as he ran a hand through his wild hair.

"Isn’t it human to miss people you haven’t seen or heard from in awhile?” He asked.

I smiled. “Two weeks is not that long and I’m not sure if you really miss me or not. I just think you miss annoying me."

I was confused as to where all this was coming from. His behavior was strange. Harry spoke as if we were the best of friends that always hung out together. I mean sure I invited him over to my flat to have ice cream and watch movies and yeah we’ve sporadically gotten together to have coffee or a few pints but nothing more. That didn’t exactly make us friends.

A slow grin settled on his face causing his dimples to dent his cheeks. "Yeah, maybe I do but you can be fun to hang around.”

“We’re not exactly friends, ya know.” I blurted

I hoped my tone didn’t sound too harsh but it was only honest. The dynamics of our relationship was really up in the air.

Harry’s smile grew strangely wide. “I know. But we could be.”

I paused walking and turned to face him. This was hella weird. I wonder if it’s too late to run.

“You think so?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Why not? When we’re not busy playing girlfriend and boyfriend we could simply just be friends.”

I trapped my bottom lip between my teeth in thought. Perhaps it wasn’t such a bad idea.

“You know what, Styles. I think I might actually take you up on that offer."

I turned my back, resuming the seemingly never ending walk to my flat. After sometime I spun around feeling a heavy hand on my shoulder.

"We should get together. As in do something. Together. ” Harry announced locking eyes with mine.

“Like hang out in a totally platonic way?” I asked.

He grinned. “Yeah. My place this time.”

I nodded. “Fine by me. Look, don’t know about you but I’m pretty knackered after that dinner. I just really want to get home. I reckon I’ll be seeing you.” A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips.

Harry stuffed his hands in his jacket pockets. “Yeah. You don’t want me to finish walking you home?"

"I’m a tough girl. I can handle it. Thanks for coming tonight.” I turned on my heel again.

“Presley, wait!” With an exasperated sigh I spun around once more.

“What, Harry?” I asked annoyed.

“You forgot to give me a hug.” Harry pouted stretching out his arms to me.

I rolled my eyes. I didn’t even know we were on hugging terms now. “Don’t be needy.”

Hesitantly I wrapped my arms around him, taking in his cologne. He pressed me tight against him, smushing my face against his chest. He gave tight hugs. The kind that left you tingly afterwards.

I pulled away. “Much better now.” Harry announced.

I couldn’t help but crack a smile. “This is the final goodbye, Styles. I’m exhausted.”

“Get some sleep, love. I’ll text you or something later."

I gave a final nod finally able to walk away. I didn’t know what to think of my new found friendship with Harry. Maybe it would turn out to be good for the both of us or maybe it would end in a massive disaster.