Status: Complete (I'll be posting chapters a little bit at a time)

Let's Pretend It's Love

Four

When I was a small girl I remember spending many summers at my Nan and Poppy’s house in the English country side. My grandparents preferred to live the old fashioned way, san electricity so as soon as the sunset it was bedtime for Penny and I. I remember being terribly upset as she called us inside from our day of play, almost on the brink of crying tears.

“Don’t worry love,”

Nan would say as she’d scoop me up in her arms.

“the sun will come out tomorrow and then you can play.”

From that day on, I’d developed a strong anticipation for morning. Morning time meant waking up to help Nan make scones and clotted cream and being able frolic outside with Penny all day.

But as summers with Nan and Poppy diminished and I grew older, mornings lost their magical appeal. Especially mornings that I knew would be spent nursing a hangover and regretting my actions from the previous night.

I woke to a an endless stream of sun pouring through my bedroom window and a splitting headache. As soon as I opened my eyes, I regretted it. I just wanted to curl into a ball under my duvet and never come out of my room ever again. I felt terrible physically and emotionally. Even though I’d consumed a bazillion shots of alcohol last night, I still vividly remembered the scene I’d made last night at the pub. I can’t believe I made such a fool of myself. Every time I thought I was getting things done smoothly they always turned out to be a massive mess. Now I bet I’ve creeped Harry out to the point where he’ll never want to go out with me again, better yet, even come into the shop again. Damn it, he would have made such a good fake boyfriend too.

Maybe I can just strangle myself with this duvet to save myself from the embarrassment I’ll feel the next time Harry comes into the shop and I have to admit to Mum and Penny that my boyfriend doesn’t exist. Or maybe Jessa will kill me when she hears I’ve driven her favorite curly-haired customer away.

Ollie, who’d been comfortably curled up in his bed in the corner of my room pounced on the bed and playful pawed at my face, his way of telling me good morning and his nice way of demanding breakfast. I lazily reached over and scratched behind his ears. He purred happily.

“Mummy’s a bloody idiot who’s going to die lonely.” I groaned.

Ollie just stared at me with those adorable blue eyes I fell in love with and crawled on my lap curling himself into a ball. If I embarrassed myself last night, there’s no telling how I made Harry feel, maybe I should call him and apologize? It’s the least I can do after acting like such an idiot.

I rolled on my side much to Ollie’s dismay and retrieved my cell phone from my night stand. Unlocking my phone, I realized I had three missed text messages. One last night from Jess catching me up on the events of Downton Abbey that I couldn’t care less about, another one last night from Penny about how she and Liam were still up in the air about their wedding date and did I have any suggestions and another one this morning from an unknown number. Generally unknown numbers didn’t text me so that was the message I focused my attention on first.

I think we need to talk. How about cuppa ?
H x

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Who the hell is H? Couldn’t they at least leave a name like the proper, courteous person would. My hangover headache seemed to be getting worse just out of sheer annoyance.

Look mate, I’m hungover and my head’s killing me. Who the bloody hell is this?

I stared blankly at the screen. It waited for about a minuet before I got a reply.

This is Harry. Sorry, I thought you had my number
H x

It was almost as if that one little text was the cure to my hangover. So I hadn’t scared him off after all! He still wants to talk! Probably about the stupid things I said last night but either way he still want to talk to me and he wants to have tea. I quickly sat up in bed which was a huge mistake on my part and replied back.

No, no. I’m sorry! When do you wanna meet?

I bit my lip anxiously waiting for his reply.

Whenever you’ve gathered up enough strength to get out of bed, love.
H x

I didn’t even hesitate to reply.

Getting out of bed now.

I threw the covers off of my body as if Harry could see me. Might as well get a head start.

Great. See you at coffeehouse on Pentonville?
H x

It’s a date. See you there.

Looks like I might have a chance to sort my shit out after all.

******

It was nearly twelve by the time I’d arrived at the coffeehouse. Since it was a Sunday, business was rather slow and I easily spotted Harry sitting at a table scrolling through his phone. To my surprise he was wearing a plain white t-shirt, a shocking change from the wild patters he usually wore and his wild hair that usually fell around his shoulders was pulled back in a neat bun. This was probably the first time I’d ever seen Harry look so…normal.

I approached the table feeling nervous as ever. The embarrassment was still there. Even though Harry was meeting up with me again I had no clue how he’d react.

“G'Morning.” I spoke softly as I took my seat across from him, perching the dark sunglasses I wore to cover my blood shot eyes on my head

Harry looked up from his phone and gave me a small smile that revealed his dimples.

“More like afternoon. Coffee or tea?” he asked.

“Tea’s fine, thanks.” I replied before Harry left the table to order our drinks.

I nervously studied the groves in the table, trying to find a way to keep myself occupied. If things had been awkward between us before, after last night they were only to get worse.

“Here you are.” Harry announced sitting the tall paper cup in front of me.

“Thanks.”

He took his seat across from me on the other side of the table.

“So, how’d you sleep last night?” he asked.

I sighed. “Just as good as any drunk person.” I replied.

“So, last night. It was fun. Things got very awkward toward the end, though.” Harry announced casually before taking a sip of his drink.

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. “

It wasn’t exactly the best idea to have shots before going to the pub, yeah? I’m sorry. Did I make you feel uncomfortable?”

Harry shook his head as a slow smile crept over his face. “

No, I thought your obsession with cats was cute. You did sort of creep me out when you started talking needing me to me your boyfriend. What was that about?”

My heart dropped. This was the exact conversation I was dreading.

I sighed. I might as well give it up now. Harry’s too nice of a lad for me to keep torturing him like this.“

Well Harry, I was really drunk and-” I was interrupted by my mobile ringing loudly. “

Uh sorry Harry, I’ve gotta take this call.” I replied sheepishly.

Harry nodded understandingly. I looked down at the caller Id and noticed it was Penny. I rolled my eyes before answering.

“Hey.” I greeted.

“Hi Presley!!” She chirped in her usual cheery tone.

I could hear Liam talking softly somewhere in the background.

“Listen, Mum wants to have family dinner tonight and she wants you to bring your boyfriend so we can all finally meet him. I know I’m anxious to!”

My eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets.

“Hellooo, are you still there, Presley?” She asked. I was in such panic about Mum’s request I hardly realized I wasn’t talking anymore.

“Huh, what?” I asked.

“We want to meet your boyfriend. I mean, unless of course he’s not real or something.” She replied with a laugh.

I didn’t know whether to take that as a joke or an off hand comment. I narrowed my eyes. They will not make a joke out of me.

“What time?” I

“6:30, don’t be late.” she warned.

“We’ll be there.” I declared.

“Good. See ya then.” she replied.

“Yeah, bye.” I hung up the phone with an exasperated sigh.

“You okay?” Harry asked, his green eyes filled with concern.

I sighed. “Harry, I need a massive favor from you. ”

“Sure, why not?” He asked.

Oh, Harry. You’re way too nice.

“I need you to pretend to be my boyfriend.” I replied.

Harry’s eyebrows furrowed in deep thought.

“I think you just got yourself a boyfriend.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm excited to see that my reader count and subscription count is increasing! I'd love to hear what you all think so please feel free to leave a little comment! Thanks for reading!