Status: Complete (I'll be posting chapters a little bit at a time)

Let's Pretend It's Love

Six

I think it’s safe to stay that I was absolutely ecstatic about the way dinner turned out Sunday. Thanks to Harry’s undeniable charm and wit, I had my family completely fooled. I felt this really strong satisfaction by finally looking I had my shit together for once. Even though my relationship with Harry wasn’t real, the intense power I felt over my family was. It had been a little over a week since dinner at Mum and Dad’s and I’d had no communication with Harry since then. He hadn’t called or texted and he hadn’t come into the shop mostly to Jessa’s dismay. It was totally fine with me though being that we’d practically spent all weekend together. Even though dinner turned out great things were still pretty awkward between Harry and I and I felt it would be best if we spent some time apart to recharge our batteries.

“I’m knackered, Pres. Will you do me a favor and lock up for me tonight?” Jess asked while pulling her spiral curled hair into the best possible bun she could manage. She’d already locked up her office and had her handbag and the rest of her belonging already gathered and ready to go. I don’t know why she asked. Wednesdays were usually my day to lock up anyway.

“Of course I will. Go home and get your beauty rest, love.” I replied rolling up my shirtsleeves. I’d just finished stocking the new shipment of leather that had come in this afternoon.

A sleepy smile settled on Jess’ face. “Thanks, Pres. Don’t burn the place down while I’m gone, yeah?”

I chuckled. “Can’t promise anything. G'night!” I replied with a grin.

“Night! See ya tomorrow!”

With that, Jess sauntered out of the shop, the familiar brass bell ringing behind her.

I hummed softly to myself as I left the storage room and headed back to the front counter to tidy up and lock the cash register. The sun was beginning to set and traffic was dying down so my cab ride home wasn’t bound to be long.I smiled to myself knowing that in little less than an hour I’d be back at my flat stuffing my face with take away, catching up on my Netflix series. and brushing Ollie’s coat. Either I’m going through a quarter life crisis or I’m becoming more and more of a recluse everyday. Normal twenty-five year olds don’t think about takeaway and their cats 24/7.

On my lock up nights, the first thing I ever did before anything else was lock the cash register. In the event that I ever left the shop in a rush, at least the cash register would be locked and Jessa wouldn’t kill me in the morning when she came in only to discover a day or two worth of money gone. The register locked with a satisfying sound and simultaneously the brass bell of the shops door rang indicating a straggling customer. We closed at seven, it was approximately 6:55. This is certainly not this bloke’s lucky day. Unlike Jess, I did not entertain customers past 6:50.

“Sorry mate, we’re closed.” I announced avoiding eye contact with the tardy customer and grabbing a nearby broom.

“I reckon you’d make an exception for your bosses favorite customer, yeah?"That familiar, deep drawl rang.

I quickly spun around dropping the broom in the process and locked eyes with a certain curly headed bloke. The hell is he doing here?

"Shit! Harry. It’s just you.” I spoke nervously bending down to pick up the broom I’d just dropped.

I mentally cursed myself for being so jumpy. So much for looking calm and collected. Now I bet the thinks I’m a ball of nerves. Harry chuckled. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to frighten ya.” He spoke running a hand through his unruly curls.

“S'ok.” I replied as I quickly began sweeping around the area.

Maybe if I avoid him long enough, he’ll go away. Who am I kidding? That’ll never work.

“So what brings you here this fine Wednesday, three minuets till closing?” I asked. Stopping my task for a moment leaning my elbows against the front counter.

Harry grinned revealing his dimples. “I came to see you, actually.” He replied. My eyebrow’s rose in curiosity.

“Me and not the beautiful Jessamine?” I teased.

He chuckled. “ No, just you. You owe me a favor and I’ve finally come up with somethin.” He replied casually propping an elbow on the counter. There’s an ulterior motive. Figures. Guy always have ulterior motives.

I pursed my lips.“Hmm. Fire away but there are limitations.”

Harry grinned. “Go out with me tonight.” As soon as the last syllable escaped his mouth I was positive that somewhere in the world, had a record been playing, it had scratched. For some strange reason I could feel my heart hammering against my chest. He wants me to go out with him. Like on a date?

My eyebrows pinched in confusion.

“What?” I questioned, perhaps a bit too sharply.

Harry blushed staring down at his ragged boots before running a hand through his curls. “I-I mean like grab a few pints with me, yeah?”

I let out a slow breath of relief and smiled. “You could’ve just said that. Are you sure about this? You’ve seen my ugly side when I have alcohol.” I replied as I began gathering my belonging that were behind the counter.

Harry shrugged “I have faith you’ll stay on your best behavior.” My eyebrows rose in a playful manner.

“Such lofty expectations, Styles. But if you insist, I’ll bite.”

*****

“Seems like Keg gets more expensive every week. Price I pay for livin in London, yeah?” Harry asked watching the beer’s foam fizz with careful green eyes as the bartender placed the gorgeous, golden pints in front of us.

This was just the type of mid-week fix I needed. Ever since I’d been old enough to drink, beer had always been one of my favorites. According to Mum and Penny it put on extra weight but I’d never seemed to care.

“Yeah. But it’s worth it. This is a celebration after all. Cheers.” I declared raising my glass.“

Cheers to what?” He asked furrowing his brows.

“Cheers to surviving dinner with the very dysfunctional Taylor family. Don’t think you know what a big accomplishment that is.”

I raised my glass and Harry smirked clinking his glass against mine. Once we’d both taken the opportunity to guzzle the vast majority of our booze, Harry spoke.

“Your family’s not that as bad as you say. Your Dad seems like a fun guy and Penny and Liam are nice enough. I reckon your Mum’s not too keen on me, though” He observed tracing his finger along the brim of his glass.

I rolled my eyes already feeling a buzz from the alcohol.

“You have to excuse my mum. She can be a real bitch sometimes.”

Harry’s green eyes widened. “Hey, hey. That’s your mum you’re talking about!” He exclaimed. By the look on his face I’d just committed a capital crime. It was simply an honest observation.

“It’s only the truth, Harry. Besides not every has the perfect mum like you do.” I replied matter of factly.

That confident, dimpled smirk I’d come to know spread across Harry’s handsome face.“My mum’s not perfect but she’s pretty close.”

I took a long sip of my beer. “You don’t have to brag about it.” I replied playfully smacking his shoulder.

He chuckled and I could tell that the alcohol was taking it’s affect on him by how glossy his green eyes were. “I’ll have to let you meet my mum someday. I think she’d like you.” Even though I felt warm, tinigly and relaxed from the beer, something about Harry’s words did not quite settle well.

It seemed almost every time I had a comfortable moment with Harry there was always something that just made it feel wrong. Maybe he was just the wrong guy for my situation. Maybe there was just no chemistry between the two of us. It’s too late to “break up” with him and find another person. Mum and Penny would be highly suspicious.

“This is never going to work.” I spoke after what felt like an eternity of silence.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked staring at his half empty glass.

I sighed. “I mean you and me. We’re too awkward around each other. You were good Sunday yes but we won’t be able to keep up the act for long if we don’t get over this hump.” Harry furrowed his brows in deep though. I’d noticed he always did that when he was thinking about something deeply.

“I know! We need an ice breaker.” He replied.

I groaned. I hated this part of dating. It was all so cliche and such a chore.

“Fine.”

Harry grinned revealing dimples. “Great. I’ll go first.” He cleared his throat. “Hi, I’m Harry. I’m 25 and I’m from Cheshire, Holmes Chapel to be exact. I like coffee and thrifting and the occasional golf. Juggling is my hidden talent and I used to work in a bakery. I suck at football and I dropped out of Uni. Oh, and Orange is my favorite color.” He finished with a charming grin. What is this? Blind Date?

“Your turn.” Harry announced.

I sighed. This is so cheesy but here goes nothing I guess. “Hi, I’m Presley. I’m 25 and I’m from London. I have a fraternal twin sister which means we’re not identical and I work in leather retail. I like black. I like take away and Netfix and my cat Ollie and I think ice breakers are stupid.” I replied annoyance in every syllable

. Harry reached over and placed his large hand on my tiny shoulder with a grin wide grin. “See that wasn’t so hard, yeah” He asked.

I shrugged. “As much as I hate to admit it, I reckon it wasn’t that bad.” I replied begrudgingly before taking another sip of beer. Harry smiled seemingly pleased with my answer.

“If you don’t mind me asking, why do you detest introductions so much?” He asked.

I sighed. “I guess because there’s really nothing interesting to say about myself. If you haven’t figured by now, I’m kind of boring.” I could hear my speech beginning to slur a bit.

A slow smile swept over Harry’s lips. “I find you quite interesting, actually.” He replied. I scoffed. “You’re just saying that because I’m buying you beer.” I replied.

“Honestly though, you are rather interesting. You’re the only girl I know who knows how to take proper care of boots, you were named after Elvis Presley and you have an awesome Beatles obsessed dad. Plus you have an obvious soft spot for cats and you’re quite witty. You can’t deny that’s quite interesting.”

I tried my hardest to hide the grin that was tugging at the corner of my lips but it was no use.

“You’re too nice, Harry.” I replied.

He grinned. “It just adds to the rest of my interesting qualities. Don’t cha think?” Harry replied proudly.

“Hmm. I’ll get back to you on that one.”

Perhaps ice breakers we’re that bad after all. Neither was hanging out with Harry.