Status: Complete (I'll be posting chapters a little bit at a time)

Let's Pretend It's Love

Eight

Game night turned out to be great fun thanks all thanks to Harry. The more I hung around him the more I realized he was actually a tiny bit of fun. He was goofy and dorky but warm and friendly. Besides pretending to be my boyfriend, Harry was amazing at making me feel like less of a sorry third wheel around Penny and Liam. Strangely for once, I’d felt like I belonged. I was beginning to believe that with Harry by my side I could survive any awkward family dinner or equally awkward double date with Penny and Liam that the next few months would throw at us.

It was a rainy Saturday and business was dreadfully slow for Jess and I. Rain, although entirely inevitable in England ,seemed to ward customers away from the shop. As much as I loved Jess, it could easily get terribly boring with just the two of us there. But it gave us the opportunity to cut loose, walk around barefoot and blast Mumford & Sons so who’s complaining?

“Ooo. Who are you getting dolled up for? Got a date with a potential Tinder match?” Jessa asked as she sauntering over to me as I applied my makeup behind the counter.

I playfully rolled my eyes whilst closing my mascara. “Ha. You wish. The only person I get dolled up for is myself. Penny’s called for lunch at some posh restaurant and I don’t want to look like rubbish. I was too lazy to do it all this morning. I’m hoping my mum picks up the tab.” I replied. Something deep down inside was telling me that Penny’s wedding plans were just starting to take off. I’m not sure I’m ready for this.

“Oi, I forgot about the blushing bride. What about your boyfriend dilemma? How’d that work out? Ya never told me.” Jess announced absentmindedly while rummaging through my make up bag.

My heart dropped. Harry and I’s “relationship” was pretty top secret. No one else was supposed to know. Although Jess was the only one besides Harry who I’d told about needing a pretend boyfriend, I didn’t think it would be appropriate. Plus it would only make things awkward when Harry stopped by the shop.

“It’s forgotten. Penny and Mum are absolutely buzzing about the wedding. They’re a bit distracted.” I shrugged silently praying Jess wouldn’t see through my lies like she usually did. As many times as I’ve lied in the past few weeks and prayed to God to cover my bum, I’m quite certain that I’m going to hell.

“Lucky you got out of that one, lass. Can I borrow this palette? These colors are to die for!” Jessa exclaimed obviously distracted by the amount of make-up in my bag. Note to self: When wanting to avoid Harry and fake boyfriend convos with Jess, bring make up.

“Absolutely not! Remember that matte red I let you borrow that you never returned and it ended up melting all over your car seat?That was my favorite and it cost me nineteen pounds!” I retorted.

“I was gonna get you another for Chirstmas!” She shot back.

In the midst of our bickering the shop’s brass bell rang along with the sound of a familiar pair of raggedy boots that I could recognize miles away.

Jessa and I nearly jumped into our professional stances.“Don’t mind me, carry on.” Harry announced coyly with that crooked smirk of his. Even a gray, rainy day couldn’t stop Harry from wearing his Picassoeque shirts. He was a burst of color in his yellow, flora print button up. Jess’s face was nearly as red as chili pepper.

“Hi H-Harry, long time no see. What can we do for you today?” She nearly shrieked from a combination of the excitement and surprise of seeing her favorite customer. I snickered.

“Hello, Harry.” I greeted stiffling my giggles.

Harry grinned revealing his famous dimples.“Hello to the both of you lovely ladies. I’m running low on polish. Can you get the kind that you always do, Jessamine?” He asked.

Jessa smiled. “Of course, Harry. Anything for my favorite customer!” She sang sweetly, not even missing a beat as she sauntered into the storage room. Jess was always so giddy whenever Harry came in. It was strange. It’s like she was his boots grouipe or something.

“So, enjoying the rainy weather?” Harry asked whilst leaning on the counter once Jess was gone. I smiled.

“I am. I love the rain. It’s peaceful.”

He nodded “I agree. I was in the bookstore earlier looking for something for you.” My eyebrows rose.

“Me? What were you looking for?” I asked curiously.

Harry grinned. “A guide to charades. Next time, we have to smash them!” I rolled my eyes but I also couldn’t help but grin thinking about what an idiot Harry had made of himself.

“You’re still holding onto that?? It’s just a game, Harry. You’re far too competitive. ” I replied.

He sighed. “Honestly, we could have done better. We’re a good team, we just have to bring our A-game. I had a great time though.” He finished softly running a hand through his wild curls.

I smiled “So did I.” I replied sheepishly tucking a strand of stray hair behind my ear. What’s wrong with me today? Did I just admit that?

“So, are you free later today?” Harry asked totally catching me off guard. His eyebrows raised in a hopeful manner and mine scrunched in confusion. What’s up with him wanting to spend time with me outside of our little agreement? Doesn’t he grow tired of being around me? Doesn’t he want to be alone sometimes?

“Actually, Penny’s called for lunch in a couple of hours. Looks like it might have something to do with bridesmaid duties. Wish me luck.” I replied secretly happy that for the first time in forever I actually had plans. Whenever I didn’t have plans(which was generally always) people seemed to take it as a calling card to socialize with me.

The corner of his lips curled into a small smile. “Ew. Girl stuff. I understand. Fill me in on the details.” Harry joked. I laughed.

“Will do.” I replied and coincidentally Jessa returned with various jars of shoe polish for Harry.

“There’s black, brown and camel. Take your pick, love!” She shouted enthusiastically.

If Jess was this friendly with her other customers, she’d have more business than she did now. If I’m not mistaken I’d say that Jessa has got a thing for her “favorite customer”. I watched carefully and awkwardly as Jess rang Harry up whist batting her eyelashes,grinning widely and holding onto his every word as if it were the most important thing ever said. She’s totally into him! I don’t why I never noticed before.

****

It was three on the dot when I arrived at Penny’s favorite restaurant. Jess had closed shop early since Harry was literally our only customer today. The showers had lightened up luckily for me who’d forgotten my umbrella at my flat. The fancy, stuffy air of the restaurants practically smothered me once I entered the doors and I had half a mind to turn right back around and haul a cab home.

“Party of Taylor?” I announced more like asked the hostess. She smiled a tight lipped smile before grabbing a menu and leading me into the restaurant. She gestured to an oblong table with Penny sitting at one end , Mum at the other and three unfamiliar faces I didn’t know scattered somewhere in the middle.

“Presley!! You made it!! I saved you a seat” Penny exclaimed with a wide grin patting a seat next to a blond girl.

I tried to genuinely return the smile as I reluctantly took my seat next to the stranger. I’m already having second thought about this. Penny had completely failed to tell me there’d be other people here. I was really just expecting her and Mum.

“Hello everyone. Hi Mum,” I greeted awkwardly.

Mum smiled her famous forced smiles. “Hello, love. You’re late.” She deadpanned. I sighed. Why is it a requirement that I have to love my mother? Who came up with that rule?

“Well, now that Presley’s here, let’s get started, yeah?"Penny asked. A waiter approached the table and handed me a champagne flute of what appeared to be orange juice. I accepted the glass, thanked him and gingerly took a sip. The strong taste of champagne filled my mouth and I my mood suddenly changed. This bridesmaid thing was going to be easy, especially if there was going to be alcohol at every gathering.

Penny clapped her hands together and grinned widely, her eyes scanning over the table. "Well, first I want to start by saying, welcome to the bridal party!! You lot are going to be like sisters for the next few months and hopefully after Liam and I tie the knot so I think it’s important to get to know each other first.” I fought the urge to roll my eyes. There’s no way I’m becoming sisters with these girls who came from literally nowhere.

The blonde next to me stood up. “Hello everyone! I’m Charlotte. Penny’s favorite person in the whole world and also her head bitch in charge for the next few months, A.K.A: maid of honor. You can clap for that.” She declared proudly tossing her hair over her shoulder. From the moment Charlotte stood up I could tell she was going to be one of those girls everyone on the bridal party would be planning to kill once everything is over.

She smirked over at me. “Your turn.”

I sighed. I’m only doing this for Penny.

“I’m Presley. Bridesmaid as well as Pen’s twin sister.” I announced dryly not even bothering to stand up. I took another gulp of my Mimosa to keep myself from having to say more. Charlotte’s blue eyes lit up.

“So you’re Penny’s twin! Wow, you certainly didn’t take after Penny.” She observed curtly.

I gritted my teeth. “It’s called being a fraternal twin.” I retorted.

Charlotte was already pushing all the wrong buttons and we’re nowhere even close to the wedding. If this drink wasn’t so good, I would have dumped it on her by now.

The other two girls, Libby and Ailsa, seemed genuinely nice by their introductions. I couldn’t promise that I’d be friends with them but I probably wouldn’t want to end up killing them by the time the wedding was over. Once everyone was done with introductions, the salad came and Penny got down to business.

“Liam and I really want our wedding to stand out from the rest so we decided on a day in February. It will be so pretty with all the snow. Like a Winter Wonderland sort of theme.” Penny announced dreamily. Every bridesmaid’s face, with an exception of mine lit up. “

That’ll be lovely!” Ailsa exclaimed.

Are you kidding?!? It’ll be freezing cold and we’ll all die of hypothermia. Why must brides insist on torturing their bridesmaids?

“Colors! What about colors? I think silver would be perfect!” Charlotte exclaimed.

Every time Penny mentioned something she just had to jump in and make her suggestions. Who’s wedding is this again? For the next twenty minuets, Penny, Charlotte, Ailsa and Libby chatted excitedly about ideas for Penny’s big day. I just sort of mentally checked out of the conversation allowing my mind to drift from the buzz of the Mimosa whilst forking over my salad and trying to figure out how I’d never realized how obviously in love with Harry Jessa was. All these years that he’d been coming into the shop and they haven’t made some type of connection? I find that so strange.

“Hellooo! Earth to Presley!” I heard Penny shout snapping me from my thoughts. “Huh?” I shouted snapping my head in her direction. All the bridesmaids and Mum were staring at me.

“So spacey.” I could hear Charlotte mutter.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. “What do you think?” Penny asked leaning her head to the side and staring at me with her doe brown eyes. I know that look. She wants something.

“About what..?” I asked.

“About Harry joining the bridal party? Well, he’d be a groomsmen so whatever they call their party.”

I nearly spat out my drink.

“Why?” I blurted.

Penny’s face fell slightly. “Because, Liam’s short one groomsmen and the number of bridesmaids and groomsmen have to be even. Plus, Li really likes Harry and you two can walk down the aisle together. It’ll be cute!” She exclaimed.

I was cringing on the inside. This boyfriend and girlfriend thing between Harry and I was only supposed to be for a limited time. We were only supposed to see each other when Mum called family dinners or when Penny and Liam wanted to meet up for spontaneous double dates. With Harry joining the wedding party that would mean we’d be expected to spend even more time with each other for months! I’m not sure I’m ready for this.

“I’m not sure that’s the best idea, Pen.” I replied trying to keep my cool as I took another sip of my Mimosa.

“I have to agree with Presley here.” Mum spoke up. She’d been strangely quite all through out lunch. “You and I’ve both seen Harvey, the bloke barely washes his hair and he doesn’t even dress nicely. How do you expect to clean him up for your big day? Liam needs a more polished groomsmen.” Mum replied haughtily. Penny frowned and I just kept drinking. I’m going to need a refill soon.

“Mum, it’s Harry. He’s Presley’s boyfriend and he’s really sweet. I reckon we can get him looking dapper in no time. Right, Presley?” She asked. Was I supposed to say that? Does it make me a terrible girlfriend for not jumping to my boyfriends defense?

“Uh, yeah. You haven’t seen Harry in a suit, Mum. So handsome.” I lied. My eyes searched frantically around the restaurant for a waiter, someone, anyone to come refill my glass and make me drunk enough to not remember anything by tomorrow.

“So, you’ll talk to him for me, Pres?” Penny asked staring at me again with those manipulative doe brown eyes of hers. Someone once said the perfect bridesmaid always does what she’s asked. I just really want to find that person right now and punch them square in the face.

“Sure, I’ll talk to him.”