Homecoming

Chapter One

Chapter One

The leaves crunched under Natalie Weston’s boots as she made her way down the sidewalk on Main Street. It was almost the middle of October and the weather was warmer than usual, the sun shining brightly in the sky. The streets of Downtown were littered with people, everyone getting out and enjoying last-minute autumn activities before the rigid cold came to Cedar Creek. She offered a family of three a kind smile as they passed each other, but it slowly turned into a frown as she continued in the crowd.

It had been two long weeks since she had returned home, to say the least. She had gone through a whirlwind of emotions in the short of amount of time, not sure she was supposed to be the rock for her family while dealing with them. Being back home was just a constant reminder of what her family had lost and it was nearly impossible to ignore it. It was almost depressing. Natalie couldn’t wait to get back to her own life where it would be easier to repress the sadness. On top of that, she missed Piper, who, even on the other side of the country, managed to make things better, even if it was a miniscule amount.

When she arrived home, her mother was in better condition than she thought she would be. The house was spotless and the aroma of her mom’s delicious cooking was coming from the kitchen. But when they hugged, Victoria broke down in her arms and cried. She was a complete mess, sobbing loudly. It was one of the hardest things Natalie had to witness. She somehow managed to find the words to calm her, even enough for her mother to finish dinner while her eldest daughter unpacked.
Lena was more quiet about her grief, locking herself in her room most of the day and night, only coming out for dinner. Talking to her sister was difficult because she was devastated and openly complained how unfair her father’s death was. Lena always had a special bond with her father, in fact, one could say she was closer to him than she was with her mom, so losing him was like losing a part of herself. Natalie heard her cry herself to sleep that night, and knowing she couldn’t do anything to make it better for her sister only broke her heart even more.

The following day she drove her mother to confirm funeral arrangements, Lena choosing to stay behind to catch up on schoolwork, although Natalie was sure she came up with that excuse so she didn’t have to tag along. It was an emotional day for everyone, but the mood lightened up when the two finally returned home to find Lena had made dinner. Victoria went to bed early while the girls cleaned up the kitchen. It gave Lena the opportunity to open up to her older sister about what was going on in her head since Brent passed. Their mother had been worried about her and decided enrolling Lena in therapy would be the best option. Her sister admitted she hated the idea, not wanting a shrink to tell her how to grieve, but only complied to please their mom.

Natalie and Lena hadn’t been particularly close in the recent years, mainly because of the age difference between the two, but she wanted to change that. It was nice to just chat openly with each other, no judgment. She wanted to be there for her sister more, any time she needed to talk or vent. Natalie was done being selfish and when the time was right, she was even going to come clean about how she spent her time the last few months. It was time to be a functioning member of the family again, because her mom and sister needed her more than she had realized.

So over the next several days, Natalie did whatever her family needed her to. She took her sister to her therapy sessions, and back and forth to the library so Lena could study and finish the rest of her school assignments for the week. She went to the supermarket so her mother could avoid receiving sympathetic looks from everyone in town, and the occasional condolence from an extended family friend or someone who had known Brent for some time. If her mother needed her help with cooking or keeping up with the house, she didn’t hesitate. She even listened to her sister talk during their private car rides together. Everything was as normal as it could be until the day of the funeral.

The three were in the middle of getting ready when they had an unexpected visitor. Aunt Audra showed up at their door with her bags, brushing past Natalie and demanding to see her older sister. Her attire consisted of a long, black dress and matching heels, her makeup and hair done to perfection. Natalie had only seen old photographs of her aunt when she was younger and she seemed to be holding her age quite well, despite her so-called 'unconventional lifestyle', as her mother put it.

Natalie remembered stories her mother told of her eccentric aunt. Audra was younger than Natalie’s mother, but apparently had twice her spunk. She traveled often, having a classic case of wanderlust and was as carefree as Victoria was responsible and grounded. Natalie could only recall of one time that she visited the family. It was when she was young and her mother was still pregnant with Lena. Aunt Audra was suppose to be staying with them for a couple days, but she ended up leaving the same night she arrived for some reason that was never explained to Natalie.

Although her mother usually spoke poorly of Audra, she found comfort in her sister being around that day. Victoria offered for her to ride along with them to the funeral, despite not inviting Audra as far as Natalie was aware. Over a private dinner that night, Victoria invited her sister to stay with them for as long as she wanted. Natalie was shocked, but only suspected her mother wanted to be closer to her younger sister. Death had a weird way of making you want to reach out to those you have lost contact with.

And that was why Natalie was on her way to meet her friends at the bar. She hadn’t seen them since the funeral, although they kept in touch through text messages almost every day. Without Phoebe and Sierra to talk and vent to, she didn’t know how she would’ve got through the past few months. She was lucky to call the two her best friends.

A strong breeze swept through the trees overhead, forcing colorful leaves to fall in her path. She pulled her coat closer, feeling her phone vibrate in her pocket. She retrieved it, reading Phoebe’s text asking if she was on her way. Natalie quickly replied she would be there soon. She crossed the street and rounded the corner, slipping into the bar and welcoming its warmth. The redhead quickly spotted her friends seated in a secluded booth in the back, deciding to order a drink before joining them.

“You’re late,” Sierra scowled playfully. “Even Phoebe showed up on time, and her and Nicolas had a quickie.” Natalie chuckled, trying not to picture her friend and Nicolas going at it. Out of the corner of her eye, Natalie noticed the slight pink on Phoebe’s cheeks. Leave it to Sierra to try to lighten the mood, even at the mercy of her friend’s embarrassment.

The three had been best friends since junior high. Sierra Williams was always the outgoing one of the group, there wasn’t a shy bone in her body. Sierra never bit her tongue, she would say whatever was on her mind without apology. Of course this often meant you would be embarrassed in some fashion when hanging out with her. Sierra was a hair stylist at a popular local salon, which seemed to be the only place she kept her composure.

Phoebe Somers was just as outgoing as their friend, but she had a much better way with words. Phoebe was also kind and compassionate, and you could talk to her about anything without judgment. She went out of her way to help those around her, even if she didn’t know them quite well. That’s why when she decided to go to school for nursing, no one was surprised. Phoebe’s now a nurse at the hospital.

Phoebe nudged their curly-haired friend in the ribs, as if that was her cue to stop being so insensitive. She smiled sheepishly at Natalie, standing up and wrapping her in a loose hug. “How have you been?” she asked in a concerned tone as she returned to her seat. Natalie sat across from them, discarding her coat nearby. “And don’t give us the whole, ‘Oh I’m fine’ bit. We really want to know how you’re holding up with everything.”

Sierra nodded eagerly. “You know we’re both here for you.”

Natalie offered her friends a smile. Sometimes she felt like she didn’t deserve them. “Thanks for your concern, but I’m doing okay, really. There’s no need for you guys to worry about me. I’ll admit, it’s been a busy couple of weeks and I’ve been nonstop running errands for my mom and trying to keep up with the house, but I think things are finally starting to look up.” She paused to sip her mixed drink. “My mom is starting to venture out and drive again. She’s even due back to work in another week. I think she’s finally getting over the shock of everything.”

“That’s great to hear,” Sierra chimed in before sipping her beer.

“I’m sure getting back into the routine of things will help ease her mind. Before you know it, she will be getting back to normal and figuring out what life is like without Brent.” Phoebe replied, her grin slowly fading. “I have to ask, are you officially moving back home or are you going back to California when she’s ready?”

The million dollar question Natalie was trying to avoid. She downed half her beverage, slumping back against the cushion as she contemplated the dilemma. “I haven’t decided yet,” she answered honestly, avoiding eye contact. “It’s complicated.”

“I don’t see what’s so complicated about it,” Phoebe argued. “Your family needs you now more than ever, Natalie. The healing process for an unexpected, devastating loss like this isn’t always linear; things may be turning around now, but they might need you again soon. Besides, you weren’t actually going to school anyway. You should move back home, it’s the right thing to do.”

“Wait,” Sierra intervened before Natalie could retaliate. Although she meant well, Phoebe was being too bossy and Sierra didn‘t want this to turn into a heated discussion. “This is about Piper, isn’t it?”

Both friends stared at her with eyes wide as they awaited her answer. Natalie cleared her throat, finishing off her beverage and flagging down the bartender for another round. She was going to need more than one drink if she was going to have this conversation with Phoebe and Sierra. She had been open with them about her growing feelings for Piper, but with everything going on lately, no one had brought it up and Natalie was grateful for the lack of discussion.

“The truth is, I met Piper at a weird time in my life. Not finding my dad was unsatisfying, to say the least, and I felt bitter, because it felt like I wasted my time. I was lonely and Piper turned out to be what I needed most at the moment: a friend that wasn’t on the other side of the country. She gave me a place to stay and helped me get a job. She even let me save up and get on my feet before accepting my help with the bills.” She paused for a minute before continuing. “I didn’t expect for her to make me feel this way. Nothing is too serious between us, but I feel like I would regret moving back home if I didn’t give things with Piper a chance.”

The two openly stared at her, as if her pouring out her heart had caught them off guard. Just when she thought they wouldn’t respond, the blonde cleared her throat and smiled. “I’m sure if Piper feels the same way about you, she would understand you taking this time to be with your family. But like you said, your mom is getting back to normal and you could be going back sooner than we all think. I think Sierra can agree that its just not the same without you here. I miss you, that’s all.”

“She’s right, we both missed you a lot,” Sierra grinned. “Let’s just enjoy our time together now while we can.”

The rest of the night went by in a blur. Natalie had drank more than she had intended without realizing it. Sierra fled to the bar to retrieve food in hopes it would help the two sober up. Natalie checked her phone for the time. It was after eight and the place was getting crowded. Phoebe excused herself, saying she was going outside to call Nicolas, but her friends knew she would sneak in a smoke.

While she sat alone, Natalie finished her drink as she scoped the place. Her eyes settled on a few guys playing pool on the other side of the room. All of them were smiling or laughing, drinking from mugs of beer and clearly having a good time. She recognized all of them but one, who stuck out from the rest of the group.

He looked to be the youngest, although he was practically taller than anyone else in the entire establishment. She took a better look at his oval face, wondering how someone could be so damn handsome. Natalie had never seen anyone that good looking and it made her wonder why he was in such a boring place like Cedar Creek. His dark hair looked soft, even from this distance, and it was perfectly disheveled. Her eyes roamed his body, noticing he was very muscular; his tight black t-shirt like a second skin to his chiseled chest. He wore dark jeans and sneakers too, making his skin appear even more pale than he actually was, almost illuminating in the bar lighting.

Her eyes had just found their way back to studying his face when he caught her staring, and he grinned. Natalie quickly looked away, not before blushing and smiling like some impractical school girl. After an excruciating long minute, she bravely looked up, relieved he was no longer looking in her direction. When they had made eye contact, she noticed his brown eyes had a glint of mischief in them; he looked like trouble and Natalie wondered if that was why she was swooning over some abnormally good-looking stranger.

Thankfully Sierra returned with some fries and a few slices of pizza before Natalie could get lost in her thoughts. Her friend was rambling about how the bartender hit on her again, apparently it was something that happened often. Natalie only half-listened to her as she searched the crowd for the dark-haired cutie. There was something about him, something she couldn’t quite explain. It had to be how handsome he was; the guys she grew up with didn't stand out like that. He looked her way with a smirk again, and she smiled briefly before turning her full attention to her friend.

Sierra whistled, grinning wider than Natalie. The redhead resisted a groan, realizing her friend had witnessed her little exchange with the guy across the room. “I see you girl, he’s hot! You should go talk to him,” she insisted as she stuffed some fries in her mouth. Natalie shook her head before doing the same.

Phoebe marched up to them, an annoyed look on her face. “Well I would love to stay, but it seems Nicolas and Josh are inebriated, and need a ride home. Are you coming with Natalie? I can drop you off at home on the way,” Phoebe offered while gathering her coat and purse.

“No!” Sierra whined. “I can’t eat all of this by myself, I’m supposed to be on a diet.” The two girls chucked at her, knowing Sierra could never stick to a diet, not that she needed it. “We can go back to my place if you want? You know you’re always welcome to stay over any time.”

Natalie shrugged, figuring it was better than heading home early. She deserved to have a night out with her friends. “Yeah, that sounds good.” She turned her attention to the blonde. “Thanks for the offer, but I’m gonna hang a bit longer before going home.”

“Say hello to everyone for me,” Phoebe said, giving Natalie a tight hug. “Don’t let this one keep you out too late and get you in trouble. If you two need anything, don't hesitate to call me.”

Natalie chuckled. “Don’t worry, I should get home and check on my mom and sister soon anyway. Drive safe, Phoebs.”

They finished their goodbyes and Phoebe left. The two girls finished their last drink and greasy bar food before deciding to walk to Sierra’s nearby apartment. Her building was only a couple streets away from the bar, located in the center of town. It was a short walk, even in the cold. Her two bedroom apartment was located on the second floor, so they took the stairs, avoiding the slow, pointless elevator with no heat.

“I apologize in advance for the mountain of laundry in the living room,” Sierra said as she fumbled with finding the right key. “I didn’t feel like putting it away before going out tonight.”

Natalie waved her off. She didn’t care if her friend’s place was a mess or not. She was just happy to be enjoying herself for the first time since she had returned home. They finally stepped inside and tossed off their shoes at the door. Sierra immediately headed to the kitchen, announcing she would pour them drinks while her redheaded friend got comfortable.

Natalie took the chance to look around the cozy apartment, seeing very little had changed since she was here last. The living room was set up the same; brown furnishings adorned with the flat-screen television and numerous pieces of artwork that covered the off-white walls. The open kitchen and small dining room looked no different outside of a few new decorations here and there. She took a seat on the empty couch, the other adorned with the laundry Sierra had warned her about.

A few minutes later, her friend was handing her a mixed drink and flopping down on the sofa beside her. Sierra finished catching her up on the local town gossip, filling Natalie in on what she missed during her few months away. She mostly told Natalie about her recent sexual endeavors, the most current being a guy from the city she's been seeing for a couple weeks.

“Of course, I don’t think it will last too much longer,” her friend admitted, sitting her half-empty glass on the coffee table.

Natalie chuckled softly, not even touching her drink. “Does it ever? Most of them run off after sex anyways.”

“You’re one to talk,” Sierra teased. “Does Josh ring a bell?”

The redhead rolled her eyes at her friend. “That was different and you know it. We both agreed it was just sex and then he got mad when he found out I was leaving.”

“Well you must have put it on him girl, because he hasn’t been the same ever since,” Sierra giggled.
She gently pushed her friend, shaking her head as she hid her own grin. “Oh hush, I’m sure he’s just fine. Josh has never had a problem finding a rebound.” They were silent for a minute, each pulling out their phones. Sierra seemed to be texting, but Natalie was checking the time. She was surprised it had been an hour since they left the bar. “I should probably get going. Gotta make sure things are okay at home.”

“You sure you don’t want to stay?” her friend pouted.

“I really shouldn’t, I still have to walk home.” She stood up and swayed, feeling the effects of the alcohol. “We’ll have to do this again soon. I really needed it.”

Sierra stood and wrapped her in a loose hug. “You know you’re welcome here any time, Natalie. It’s good to have you back, no matter how long you plan on staying.”

Natalie thanked her, promising to text her that she made it home safe as she slipped on her coat and shoes. With a final goodbye, she left the apartment and maneuvered her way through the small complex. Once outside in the cold, she picked up the pace as she started her journey home.

A few minutes later she passed the bar, noticing a couple people standing outside enjoying a smoke. One of them was him, the cutie she laid eyes on earlier. The attractive stranger caught her eye from afar once more and she found herself growing even more curious about him. She wanted to know his story and to figure out why she was so drawn to him. If her friends had known him, surely they would have said something, especially Sierra, who saw them exchanging smiles in the bar earlier. She smiled at him once more, whether he could see it or not because of the distance, and continued her walk home.

She didn’t mind the walk. It gave her time not just to herself, but to ponder everything that happened recently. She mostly reflected on the night out with her friends, considering it a real treat. Natalie had been so focused on being there for her family that she left little time for herself these days, and what little time she had, she mostly spent it missing Piper and trying to figure out when would be the right time to leave Cedar Creek again.

She exhaled loudly into the night, staring at her breath in front of her. Natalie knew she was being selfish about wanting to leave town again so soon. When she thought about how she had spent the past few months of her life, she felt downright guilty and almost ashamed of herself. How could she think about moving back to the west coast when her mom, and especially her sister, clearly still needed her?

Natalie was torn from her thoughts when the sound of crisp leaves behind her filled her ears. Her heart immediately began to race as she quickly spun around. Her eyes frantically roamed the street, but she saw no one. She was all alone, not even the wind accompanying her. She took a deep breath and chuckled to herself for being so jumpy. It was probably just some animal, she concluded. Just as she started walking again, she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. Natalie couldn't contain her massive grin when she saw Piper's photo on the screen.

"Well this is a nice surprise," she answered with a smile. "I wasn't expecting to hear from you until later."

"I'm sorry, I hope I'm not interrupting your night out. I just had some extra time before I have to leave for work and just wanted to at least say hi. So, hi." Piper chuckled on the other end, causing Natalie to smile like an idiot.

"Hi," she laughed before clearing her throat."You're not interrupting anything, I'm actually walking home now."

"All by yourself? Natalie you shouldn't do that when you've been drinking, you know that can be dangerous."

"There's no need to worry. Cedar Creek is absolutely safe, it's nothing like you're used to Piper." She paused for a moment before changing the subject. "I hope you haven't killed my plants yet. Are you following the directions I left you?"

Piper scoffed on the other end before they shared another laugh. "Your plants are fine, although you probably already know that. I hope you had a good time tonight, you really deserve to take time for yourself and do what makes you happy Natalie."

She was silent. Being with Piper is what truly made her happy, but she couldn't just leave her family behind. Her mother was barely holding it together at best, and her sister still cried herself to sleep at night. To leave and be happy would be selfish, and Natalie refused to do that. "Thanks, Piper," she said, trying not to tear up. "I miss you so much. Talking to you is the only thing that gets me by these days."

"I miss you alot too." Her blonde friend sighed heavily. "But you're where you need to be right now, Natalie. I should get off here, I'll text you later?" The redhead stopped in her tracks. If she didn't know better, Piper almost sounded disappointed.

"Yeah, I'll be up. Good luck at work tonight."

"Thanks. Goodnight Natalie."

They ended the call and she stared at her phone wondering where the conversation went wrong. Perhaps she was too open about how much she missed Piper. After all, it's not like they were in a committed relationship or anything. Maybe she put too much of a burden on her friend. She was on the other side of the country for an undisclosed amount of time and whenever she talked to Piper, it was always about what was going on with her family. Now that she thought about it, Natalie had been so caught up in her own problems, she rarely asked how things were in California.

Her head snapped up as she heard more leaves crunching down the street. Like before, she saw nothing. She could feel her hear pounding in her chest as she began to walk again, this time much faster. What if Cedar Creek wasn't as safe as she remembered? She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. Piper had managed to make her paranoid and instead of being rational, thinking it was an animal, she had convinced herself it was a person lurking nearby.

Natalie was relieved to see her childhood home come into view as she rounded the corner. She quickened the pace, almost running home. It had been a long day and she was eager to be safe insider her warm bed. She turned her head, checking to make sure she wasn't being followed once more. Satisfied to find herself alone, she bolted up the front steps and quickly made her way inside.

As she locked the front door, she caught a glimpse of her aunt sitting on the sofa. Natalie must have startled her, because she stuffed something between the couch cushions as her niece joined her in the living room. She pretended she didn't notice as her aunt offered her a smile, which faded as Audra looked her over.

"Are you alright? Wait, did you walk home in this cold? You know you could've called me for a ride."

Natalie shrugged, not seeing what the big deal was. She got used to walking everywhere in California. "It wasn't far, I didn't see a reason to bother you."

Audra nodded slowly, still staring at her with a worried look. "You seem flushed," she noted as she stood. She reached her hand out to touch Natalie's forehead, but she backed away.

"I'm fine, it's probably just from the cold." Natalie didn't want to scare her aunt by telling her she ran home because she was spooked. Audra seemed worried about her enough as is. "Mom and Lena asleep?"

"Yes, they both went to bed about an hour ago. Well, I should probably let you go warm up and rest. I need to go anyway, an old friend heard I was in town and wants me to visit. Not sure if I'll be back tonight, so I'll see you in the morning."

Natalie forced a small smile before saying goodnight, turning on her heel to head upstairs. Her aunt was acting weird, making her wonder if it had anything to do with what she hid in the sofa. She stepped into her old bedroom, a loud yawn escaping her before shutting the door. She hadn't realized how tired she was. As she picked out pajamas and changed, her phone began buzzing. She didn't have to look at it to know it was Sierra checking up on her.

She reached for her phone to respond, but froze when she heard the front door open and shut as her aunt left. Her mind drifted back to Audra's odd behavior when she first got home. Natalie was curious about what she hid, so she quietly went downstairs and into the dark living room. She felt around the cushions but didn't find anything. Aunt Audra must've taken whatever it was with her.

Oh well. She was being nosy anyway. It was none of her business what her aunt wanted to keep from her. Everyone was entitled to their secrets, she certainly had hers. Natalie returned to her room and climbed into bed. She was almost asleep when her phone went off again. Grabbing it off the bedside table, she finally responded to Sierra, letting her know she was sage and turning in for the night. Natalie drifted off to sleep before her friend could respond.

____________


Audra stood on the bottom step of the stairs listening for her niece to shut her bedroom door. Once it was clear, she grabbed the spell book from the couch cushions, and her keys and phone. The brunette quickly left the house, locking the front door with a flick of her wrist. her eyes gazed the quiet street as she looked for whatever spooked her niece. Natalie could lie all she wanted, but Audra could sense she was scared when she returned home.

When she was satisfied that no one else was around, she climbed into her car and began driving across town. To say she was nervous would be an understatement. Technically, her kind wasn't supposed to be anywhere near where she was going, but Audra wasn't much for following the rules. Hell, that's why she had to move away in the first place. But desperate times meant stepping out of your comfort zone, and was desperate.

She parked a blocked away, hoping it was a safe enough distance from the house. Audra took a deep breath before exiting the car. She avoided the sidewalk, sticking to the shadows where her dark clothing helped her blend in without being seen. As she reached the back property line, she noticed the magic heavy in the air. A smile crept on her face as it felt familiar. Audra held her hands out and closed her eyes, mumbling a few words. With the protection spelled lowered, she made her way through the backyard and to the sliding door. Another flick of her wrist and the door was unlocked.

Audra cautiously stepped into the empty house although she couldn't sense anymore magic. Feeling the wall for the light switch, she flipped it on and let her eyes adjust.She snapped her fingers to close any open curtains, not wanting any nosy neighbors to see her. She navigated through the familiar structure, finding herself in the living room. A wave of nostalgia hit her as she stopped and gazed at the framed photos on the mantle.

Her eyes settled on a picture of a young couple, both smiling from ear to ear. She picked it up, admiring how ecstatic they looked, like nothing in life could drag them down as long as they had each other. But Audra knew all too well that life always had a curve ball up it's sleeve and would throw it when you least expect it. She frowned as she looked at the younger version of herself. It had been so long since she had been content with life.

The front door suddenly burst open, tearing her from memory lane. Viktor's angry expression softened as he recognized her, quickly closing and locking the door. "Audra," he spoke as if he couldn't believe she was standing in his living room. "What are you doing here? If my uncle knew you were-"

She chuckled softly, returning the picture to it's proper place as she interrupted him. "Don't worry, I was careful and made sure no one saw me. You used that old protection spell I taught you, it was kinda easy to get in."

Viktor took a few steps closer. She noticed not much about his appearance had changed, except for the stubble and the stern look on his face. "Yeah, well, I couldn't use one of my family's spells if I wanted my privacy. Seriously Audra, why did you break into my house?"

The brunette stared him over for a moment. Perhaps Viktor had changed over the years. He was no longer that bright-eyed young man who thought he could help save the world. Now he seemed cold, making her wonder what could make Viktor turn into this. If she didn't know better, Audra would guess it had to do with him being under his uncle's wing for so long.

"We need to talk. Mind if we sit?" she asked, gesturing to the couch. Viktor took a seat and she sat on the opposite end, not wanting to sit too close and make it more awkward than it already was.

Audra and Viktor's relationship had always been quite complicated. Viktor's family was part of a coven while Audra's family had never really belonged to one. They preferred to practice on their own and stayed out of the way of the other covens, occasionally helping others when asked. Although they were civil to those they encountered, they, like many others who practiced the craft on their own, were considered outsiders.

The majority of the covens in Cedar Creek eventually became so paranoid of the 'outsiders'. Many of their leaders were sure the outsiders were plotting against them, causing high tensions and the division of the witches. Most witch shops that were owned by coven members vowed to only serve those also in covens. Things eventually got so bad, there were rumors of war.

None of this stopped them from seeing each other. They continued even after Viktor's uncle, who also was the leader of their inner circle, banned his coven from associating with their so-called enemy. Henry even went as far as threatening to punish those affiliated with other witches and strip them of their power.

Henry Michaels was well known around town, and not just because he was a skilled warlock. He came from old money and increased his wealth by owning several businesses in Cedar Creek, including the only casino in town, a bar, and he even dabbled in real estate. Henry was also close friends with the mayor, who he publicly endorsed and attended many political evens with. Perhaps what people know about him the most is how he took in his nephew when his only sister died.

To many, he seemed like an outstanding member of the community. But those who were close to him knew he wasn't as he presented himself. Henry was ruthless and cruel, and someone you definitely didn't want to cross. There were few in the witch community who didn't fear him. No one challenged him either, because if they didn't end up dead, their family certainly did.

And that's how he threatened Audra into leaving town all those years ago. Henry had found out about his nephew's plan to leave Cedar Creek with her and he couldn't have that. Before they could leave, he approached Audra and threatened to harm not just her family, but even Viktor, if she went through with their plan. Although it was a heartbreaking decision, she agreed to leave town and uproot her life.

Her and Viktor still kept in contact at first. Of course he blamed himself for her having to leave and promised to make things right. He promised she would be able to return home one day, and in the meantime, he would protect her family. Viktor made good on that promise, but still couldn't reason with his uncle about her wrongful exile.

As time passed and it was clear Henry wasn't going to change his mind, they spoke less and less. Viktor would still send her updates about Victoria and her nieces, but even those slowed down unless something was wrong. Every time they talked was a reminder they would never be together and it was too painful for the both of them.

Audra eventually gave up hope. She was never going home. She would never get to reconcile with her sister. She'd never get to know her nieces. She was never going to be with Viktor again. That hurt the worst. She always thought her and Viktor would be married by now, maybe even have a kid or two. She never thought this is how her life would end.

"Remember when Victoria had me store my niece's magic?" Viktor nodded. "The spell I used is fading and I only have a few days to give it back." Audra picked at her black fingernails. "Amy was able to get all but one of the ingredients and since your uncle still hasn't lifted that ban, I just can't go in any store and buy it."

"You need me to get it for you," he concluded.

Audra nodded as she pulled a piece of paper from her back pocket and handed it to him. "You can drop it off at Amy's store and I'll pick it up in the morning. I hate to rush, but time is limited."

He nodded, standing up. "No need to apologize, I understand."

"Thank you," she mumbled. They were quiet for a moment too long. She pushed herself off the sofa and headed towards the back door. "I'll just see myself out."

"Audra, wait." He grabbed her arm gently so she'd turn and face him. "Please stay for a drink. There's some wine in the kitchen and I'd like to catch up alittle. It's been too long."

Audra knew she should take herself right back to Victoria's house, but she was hesitant. This was Viktor, the man she had missed so much and she finally had a chance to spend time with him. This was something she had dreamed of for more than a decade, how could she say no?

"I suppose one drink wouldn't hurt," she grinned. "But after that I need to go."

Viktor smiled as well. "Fair enough. Go ahead and have a seat, I'll be right back."

Audra returned to the couch and glanced around the room, paying attention to more recent pictures of Viktor. There was one with him, his uncle, and the mayor at some fancy event. Another showed him at his uncle's casino with a small group of men. Her favorite was a tourist shot of him in the city.

Viktor returned with two wine glasses and an unopened bottle. He joined her, quickly opening the wine and pouring them each a glass. He passed her one. "So, how have you been? Amy said you've finally settled down somewhere after traveling for awhile."

She took a sip, savoring the flavor. Of course her best friend kept him up to date on her life. "I've been living in New Orleans for about six months now, and I like it. It's pretty easy to find work there, plus I work closely with a local coven that used to know my grandmother." She took another sip before turning the focus on him. "What about you, what have you been up to recently?"

"That's great, I'm glad you found somewhere you like." Viktor cleared his throat. "I mostly help manage the casino and I also assist the police with crimes involving the supernatural."

She was surprised to hear about the latter. "Sounds like you keep yourself busy."

He shrugged. "More like Henry keeps me busy. Things aren't like they used to be, it's different now. He trusts me with a lot." There was the silence again. "How are you and your family holding up?"

This struck a nerve. "I'm surprised to hear you ask, considering you didn't show up to the funeral," she replied with a sharp tongue. She sighed, knowing she had no right to be angry. "I'm sorry, I guess I figured you'd be there, if not for me at least for Natalie."

Viktor sighed heavily. He didn't want this to end in a fight. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for the two of you. I know it wasn't much, but I did send a donation and flowers. You never told me how you're holding up."

"I'm fine," Audra insisted. "Not sure if my sister is or not. That's why I'm still in town, you know. I had planned to leave after the funeral but she asked me to stay and I couldn't say no. Then I realized the spell was wearing off for Natalie's magic, so now I guess I'm here longer if she decides to keep it." Audra paused for a moment, her lips breaking out in a smile. "I'm sorry for complaining. It's just been one thing after another for my family lately."

Viktor sat his empty glass on the coffee table. His other hand rested on her leg. "You don't have to apologize to me. Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help."

They locked eyes and Audra could feel those old feelings she was trying to ignore come to the surface. She knew she should've went back to her sister's. He leaned in for a kiss and just when she was about to give in, Viktor's phone began to ring.

He cursed under his breath as he checked to see who was calling. He groaned, looking at her with sad eyes. "Excuse me, I have to take this."

She nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat. Viktor stepped into the kitchen and she let out a sigh. She had almost gave in and she couldn't do that again. Being with Viktor meant putting her family in danger and she wasn't about to do that after all these years on the run.

Audra finished her wine and sat the empty glass next to Viktor's on the coffee table. She stood up as he returned to the room. "I hate to rush you out, but I have to go. It's work." She detected disappointment in his voice.

"It's fine, I was about to leave anyway." She stepped closer and wrapped her arms around him in quick hug. "Thank you for the nice time and for the help."

"You know I would do anything for you and your family."

Her heart sank because she knew it was true. She nervously tucked her hair behind her ear. "Viktor, as much as I enjoyed tonight, it can never happen again. Henry will be pissed enough when he finds out I'm in town, we don't need to make it any worse. I wish it didn't have to be this way."

Viktor was silent and for a moment she thought he wasn't going to respond. "You're right," he finally said, his eyes meeting hers. "Take care of yourself, Audra."

She curtly nodded. "Goodbye Viktor."
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, it has been awhile! Over a year, as a matter of fact. I apologize for the lengthy hiatus. I got pregnant and took a break from writing, but now I'm back at it whenever I have free time.