Homecoming

Chapter Two

The next morning Natalie awoke and immediately cursed herself for drinking so much the previous night. A quick glance at her alarm clock showed it was almost ten and she let out a small groan. She pushed off the blankets and made her way to the bathroom down the hall for some aspirin.

After fumbling to get the bottle open, she popped two in her mouth and washed them down with water from the faucet. She cringed when she looked at her reflection; the messy hair and smudged makeup she forgot to take off before bed made her look worse than she felt. The only way she was going to feel better was by taking a shower and drinking a cup of coffee.

Natalie emerged from the bathroom almost twenty minutes later, returning to her room to get dressed in an oversized sweater and leggings. She finished brushing her hair and decided to make her way downstairs for coffee and maybe even something to eat.

She walked into the kitchen, strolling over to the Keurig and turning it on after choosing from what little coffee selection she had left. Deciding on a light breakfast, she made a bagel. Natalie had been so caught up making her breakfast she almost didn't see the note her mother left on the refrigerator. She grabbed it and read it over as she grabbed her coffee and made her way to the small table.

"Shit," she mumbled to herself. She had completely forgot about her mother asking her to pack up Brent's stuff from their closet and relocate it to the attic. Her mom had asked her to do it while she took Lena to therapy and lunch, so Natalie could take her time if she wanted.

Natalie ate and savored her coffee, the dark brew making her feel more like herself with each sip. With her hangover finally gone, she cleaned up and decided to get things done before her mom and sister returned.

She had always been jealous of her mom and Brent's walk-in closet. Now that she stood in it, she didn't like it. She could still smell her stepfather's scent on his clothes and she finally understood why her mother wanted her to pack it all up. Natalie took a deep breath to stay calm and began pulling the clothing from the racks.

Even though he wasn't her biological father, Brent had raised her like she was his own from the moment things got serious between him and her mother. He never treated her any differently than Lena and she was grateful to have such a positive relationship with him. He was a good man, something that was rare these days.

Her mind drifted to the last time she talked to him. It was two days before the accident. Brent had called her to check in, something he did every week. It was a normal conversation. He asked if she needed anything and of course she told him no. Then he asked her about school and she lied to him. She told him everything was going fine and she couldn't wait until winter break. They talked about a couple other things before saying goodbye. It wasn't the one Brent deserved from her.

A tear fell and she quickly wiped it away. Since returning home, she hadn't allowed herself to truly feel his loss and being in the closet was overwhelming. She finished packing his clothes in totes as fast as possible and moved them upstairs. She returned to the closet to gather the last items of Brent's.

One of the boxes wasn't shut completely and her curiosity got the best of her. At first glimpse, it looked like the box was filled with just papers but as she dug through she found Brent's high school year books, a folder filled with information on his family tree, old pay stubs, and more papers she didn't feel like going through.

The last thing buried under everything else was an old journal. The cover was a dark green and worn out all over, like it had been read over and over again. She picked it up and ran her fingers over the material. This couldn't have belonged to her stepfather, it was older than he was. Natalie opened it, surprised to see the old cursive writing on the page. Apparently it belonged to a woman named Abigail Dempsey. She had to be a relative of Brent's, although he never mentioned her.

September 10, 1947

I did not sleep well last night. Although equipped with a massive fireplace, my new bedroom is much colder than what I'm used to. Of course I suspect even if the room was the perfect temperature, I would have still had trouble sleeping. I always do the first night in a new house.

This time we get to call Cedar Creek our new home while Father and my brothers hunt. It is a quaint little town with breathtaking views of mountains and if we were not here on family business, I would rather like the place. But the reality is, we are here on family business. Family business that Father said I'm not allowed to be a part of. I suppose he forgot who helped him hunt while my brothers were away at war?

Mother agrees with him, not that she would speak up if she thought otherwise. She says I should be grateful for not having to put my life at risk like Joseph, Connor, and Maximus. I just think she is relieved I will not be in any danger because the one thing Mother is good at besides following orders is worrying. I know she worries for her sons and Father as well, although she would never admit that either.

I spent my morning unpacking all my belongings. Aside for being chilly at night, my new room isn't that bad. It is easily the biggest I've had to date and I even have a private bath, something I've never had before.

Mother, Father, Maximus, and I all went into town after lunch while my other brothers decided to explore around town on their own. After a bit of sightseeing, our driver met us in the middle of town and took us to the south side of Cedar Creek. It was much different than Town Square, although they both were home to many people and businesses.

Our driver stopped on a busy street in front of a small shop. It had many plants in the display window and I finally understood why we were here. Father was meeting a witch, perhaps the very one that invited us to Cedar Creek. I insisted on joining him, earning a disapproving look from both parents. It wasn't until Maximus spoke up and said he'd rather wait with Mother that Father agreed I could go inside. I was happy, even if he told me to not speak unless spoken to once inside.

The shop reminded me of every other one owned by a witch. It had too many herbs and the smell was overwhelming. This particular one smelled so strong, I got an instant headache. Father went over to the counter to speak to the middle-aged man standing behind it. I browsed the nearby displays, trying my best to look occupied while eavesdropping on their conversation.

It didn't last long before my head throbbed and I winced in pain. Out of nowhere came a young woman around my age who placed her hand on my shoulder, mumbled a few words, and just like that, my headache was gone. I stared at the witch in amazement, wondering how she knew. I quickly minded my manners and mumbled a thank you.

"No need to thank me. I know all too well about pungent smells and how they can affect you," she said, absentmindedly rubbing her small, growing stomach. She was pregnant and not too far along. "I'm Josephine, you can call me Josie if you like."

"Abigail."

"Nice to meet you, Abigail. However, I wish it were under better circumstances." She turned her attention to Father and the shop owner, who introduced her as one of the witches that opposed our presence in town. "Mr. Dempsey, I insist you hear me out before you make any brash decisions on how to handle this unfortunate situation. "

My jaw dropped at how open she spoke. Father looked furious and this made the other man look very uneasy. No woman had ever spoken to him with such disrespect. He huffed, turning to the male and ignoring Josephine. "Is there someone else I can speak with? Maybe someone who knows their place."

"Mr. Dempsey, I know she's unorthodox but Josie is one of the most respected witches in town. Please hear her out."

Father was being stubborn and remained quiet. I watched as Josephine stepped closer to him. I have to admit, I admire her bravery. "Mr. Dempsey, I promise I won't take up much of your time. You and your family will be on your way before you know it."

Even Father couldn't resist her smile. He simply nodded. "I suggest you use your time wisely, Miss."

"I'd like to offer you the guilty wolf and for you and your family to take your leave," she said with such confidence that I don't think she was negotiating. "The whole pack shouldn't suffer the consequence of one man. You cannot exile them. I will not let you condemn women and children to their deaths."

"That is not up to you," Father snapped. "I was brought here to make sure the people of this town are safe, not show mercy because a witch, that didn't even pay me to come here in the first place, decides she doesn't agree with my methods. Now, stay out of my family's way or I will not hesitate to put you down as well."

I couldn't handle him threatening a pregnant woman's life. Before I could stop myself, I stood up for Josephine. "You will not lay a hand on her," I hissed, stepping between the two. "She has brought up a plausible point and I think we should take up her offer. No one has to be collateral damage, Father."

The room was silent for several minutes. I waited in fear for my father to respond. "Fine," he finally agreed. Father turned to face the young witch. "We will take the guilty wolf. But if anyone tries to get in our way, I can't guarantee what will happen."

Josephine didn't look exactly pleased but she forced a smile anyway. "Very well. I would also like to offer my expertise shall you need it. Ask ol' George here, I'm the most talented witch in town. If we work together, well, imagine what all of us could get done."

Father turned and whispered quietly to George. I remained silent as they finished their private discussion. I saw Josephine move out of the corner of my eye and I snuck a glance at her. Almost immediately she met my gaze and offered a smile and a quick wink.

I guess you could say I made a new friend today.


Natalie stared at the journal with wide eyes, going back to read the entry once more. She had to make sure she had read it right, and yes, she did. Why was Brent's distant relative writing about witches and hunting wolves? Was this a work of fiction or did Abigail really believe in these creatures? Natalie was intrigued so she kept reading.

September 21, 1947

Life in Cedar Creek is turning out to be quite peculiar. I never thought I'd see the day Father worked with a witch, a woman at that, but he didn't even wait a week before contacting her. Josephine seemed surprised as well when we had her over for dinner so Father could properly announce his agreement to work with her. Even though he disrespected and threatened her before, Josie didn't seem to hold that against him once joining forces.

I really like Josephine. She's not just a strong, powerful woman because of her magic. She's also gentle and compassionate. She went out of her way to help those in need, which is something admirable in a person. I also approve how she only uses her magic for good. It was comforting to know not everyone abuses their power.

Even with her help, my family has had no luck at finding the guilty werewolf. Josephine visited the pack first, telling them to give up the guilty one so peace could remain. No one gave him up. He now knows hunters were called in, so we didn't have the advantage of surprise anymore.

Father's furious and I'm not sure how much longer he will work with her. It makes me sad to think about not having her around. Josephine's the first genuine friend I've had in years and of course my family is about to scare her away.

Sometimes I hate the hunting life. Having to uproot your life time and time again with the only constant people in your life being connections to your job is... tiring. No wonder Mother insists I marry a nice man so I don't have to carry on with this life.

But then I remember all the people we've saved. A lonely life is worth it if it means stopping monsters from hurting people.

October 2, 1947

Father sent Joseph and Connor out to look for the wolf after dinner with strict instructions of harming him only. Unless, of course, someone intentionally got in the way. The full moon is in just a couple days and everyone is on edge because the werewolf hasn't been dealt with.

Father keeps insisting on talking to the pack himself, but Josephine refuses to agree to it. Even Mother tried to reason with her but Josephine told her to stay out of it. The three argued for some time in our parlor, Maximus and I remaining quiet nearby.

"Let me bring Abigail, she can speak to the pack. That is my only offer, Mr. Dempsey."

"Absolutely not," Mother spat out, shocking everyone in the room. "My daughter will not be put in danger."

"I'm aware she helped hunt with you before." Josie ignored my mother, knowing she just had to convince Father. He is the one with the final say. "She's alive and well, perfectly capable of protecting herself if anything were to happen. But nothing will happen because we're both going there as friends. They will trust Abigail more than you or your boys."

Father looked torn. I knew he agreed with Mother, wanting to keep me safe just as badly as her. But he also knew a different side of me. I exceeded at hunting, just like the majority of my bloodline. But the best part was, I didn't look like a hunter. An innocent young woman like myself would never be able to kill a beast, or so everyone seems to think. The pack would probably think that as well, even if I came from a family of hunters.

I held my breath as Father's eyes met my own. "Looks like you get your wish about being out in the field after all, Abigail. You'll accompany Josephine and talk to the pack. Let them know so much damage can be prevented if they just hand over the murderer."


Natalie let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding in. She closed the journal, her head swarming as she thought about what she just read. No wonder her stepfather never mentioned his distant relative. Abigail Dempsey was crazy. Witches and werewolves didn't exist, neither did these hunters that went after them.

What really blew her mind was this Josephine lady. Natalie's great grandmother's name was Josephine and she lived here in Cedar Creek. Now that she thought about it, probably around the same time as Abigail....

Natalie shook her head. She was reaching. Her great grandmother wasn't a witch and there was no way her family crossed paths with this Abigail Dempsey. Why was this bothering her so much? It was evident the journal was a work of fiction. Abigail clearly had a wild imagination and needed to get it out somehow.

She returned the journal to the box and picked it up, taking one last trip to the attic. With a sigh of relief, she made her way back down to her bedroom. Between gathering her dead stepfather's things and the creepy journal that belonged to his relative, Natalie felt like she couldn't breathe in this house. She needed to get out and clear her head.

She threw on some eyeliner and mascara, and quickly fixed her red mane. Just as she put her coat on, her phone began to ring. She was surprised to see Phoebe calling her so early in the day and for a second, her stomach dropped. She hoped nothing was wrong.

"Hey, is everything alright?" she asked before Phoebe could even say hello.

"Of course, why wouldn't it be?" Phoebe didn't wait for her to answer and continued. "I have the day off and wanted to see if you'd like to grab some coffee? I just feel like I had to rush out early last night and we didn't get to hang out much."

"Coffee sounds great," Natalie lied. She was still feeling wired from hers earlier but atleast it was an excuse to get out of the house. Plus she wouldn't be alone, so she would definitely be able to get things off her mind. "I just have to throw on some shoes and I can meet you there. Our usual place, right?"

"See you there."

When Natalie arrived at the coffee shop, Phoebe was sitting down at a table by the window, two drinks in tow. Her blonde friend smiled when she spotted her, doing her best to wave without dropping anything. She smiled in return as she sat across from her.

"I hope you still drink your usual," Phoebe said while passing her the coffee.

Natalie happily accepted it although she wasn't in the mood for it. She took a swig not to be rude. "You know me too well, thank you."

Her best friend shrugged as if buying it was nothing. "The main reason I asked to see you is to apologize for last night," Phoebe admitted. "What I said made it seem like I don't support you and Piper, and that's not true. I'm so happy for you, Natalie."

"I'm sensing there's a 'but' coming."

Phoebe sighed into her cup. "But when I think about you wanting to move so soon... I can't get the image of how broken your mother was when she found out about Brent out of my head. I'm worried for her, and for your sister. I know I have no right to tell you what to do, I just wanted you to know my reasons for pushing you to stay. I hope you can forgive me."

How could she be angry with her best friend when all she did was care about not just her, but her family as well? "I understand, Phoebe, I really do." Natalie slumped back in her seat, her lips arching into a frown as she placed her drink on the table. "Even Piper thinks I'm where I should be for the time being. I suppose you're both right."

Her blonde friend arched an eyebrow at her defeated tone. "Natalie, what's wrong?"

"I don't know, I guess I didn't expect Piper to sound so sad and hurt when she told me."

Phoebe stared at her for a moment, a smile creeping on her face as she shook her head at her friend. "I can imagine she is sad and hurt. I know I would be if Nicolas ever had to stay with his family for an undisclosed amount of time like you are now. She must feel like she can't be there for you because of the distance. Have you ever thought about how hard this must be for her?"

Natalie knew her best friend was right. She was so caught up in her own feelings, she completely disregarded Piper's. "Thank you, Phoebe. You have been quite insightful," she grinned.

The blonde chuckled. "What are friends for?" she asked rhetoricly. While they finished their coffees, they caught each other up on their previous evenings. It wasn't until they were leaving and stepping outside into the chilly afternoon that Phoebe turned to her friend. Her mischievous grin worried Natalie.

"What is that look for?" she asked, hastily walking to her car.

"You deserve another night out," Phoebe insisted as she followed her. "Come with me and Nick to the casino tonight. His work is having this get together thing and it will be so much more fun if you go along. I usually just stand next to him while he talks to everyone for hours about finances and honestly, it's boring."

"So why subject me to the boredom?"

"It won't be boring if you're there. We can go off on our own and they won't even notice."

"I'm sure Sierra would love to join you," Natalie suggested, not really feeling up to going out again. "She'd be better company anyway."

Phoebe shook her head. "She's going to the city tonight. Please, Natalie. I promise it will be fun." She threw on the best pout she could.

"Okay, okay. I'll go," she gave in. "What time should I meet you guys there?"

"It starts at seven," Phoebe grinned, wrapping her in a hug. "I'll see you later."

_______


Audra cursed loudly as she tugged on her sneakers. She was running late because she just had to clean her entire apartment last night to get her mind off her encounter with Viktor instead of going back to her sister's house and getting a decent night's sleep.

Her father had purchased the place so he could practice magic in peace after he married her mother, someone who didn't even know about the supernatural. When her own powers surfaced and her mother's knowledge was inevitable, she banned magic under their roof and the apartment was where she was tutored by her father and grandmother until they both died.

At a young age, she was left in charge of the place. When the building's owner decided to renovate, the apartment was redone as well. It happened not long before her exile so Audra never really got to enjoy it.

It was a cozy two bedroom with an open floor plan as you stepped inside. The living room was adorned with two sofas and a television, something that needed to be upgraded. The windows were wide, letting in plenty of sunlight to the numerous hanging and potted plants scattered about on the floor.

The kitchen was small. There wasn't much counter space and the stove and refrigerator were the only appliances. The adjacent dining room was bigger, featuring a table with four chairs and multiple bookcases, all filled with books passed down by her family along the years. It was where her family had practiced the most, easily making it her favorite room.

Just off the kitchen was the laundry room. The room was so small, it was more like a closet and could only fit a stackable washer and dryer. She was happy to find they both worked like brand new when she washed the sheets she found in her closet while cleaning the previous night.

Through the dining room was the hallway which lead to the only bathroom and both bedrooms. The bathroom had a standard tub and shower, leaving little space for anything besides the toilet and sink. Atleast she was short enough to comfortably enjoy a bath.

The guest bedroom was minimal with only a bed and dresser. The closet was used for storage, which didn't house much besides old holiday decorations and pictures. Once upon a time, it had been Audra's room when she stayed over with her grandmother. Now that she was older, the room had too many joyful memories of a time she missed dearly, before her life fell apart.

The master bedroom was much larger than the other, with wide windows like the living room. She had a queen sized bed that was so comfortable, it was the reason she was late. The room was bare besides the bed, since she took as much stuff as she could when she was exiled.

Audra grabbed her keys and headed out, mumbling a spell under her breath to lock the apartment door. She practically ran to the elevator, eagerly pushing the down button as if that would make it appear faster. Luckily no one else was using the elevator at the time, so she was walking through the lobby and out of the building in less time than usual. If only traffic could be just as sparse.

It had been years since she had been to Southside. According to her family, it became a safe haven for witches in Cedar Creek when the town was newly established. When she was growing up, Southside was still a crucial part of the town. Businesses flourished, musicians pan handled on warm days, and new graffiti seemed to pop up somewhere every week. Things were fine until Henry started using scare tactics to divide the witches.

Her lips formed a frown as she pulled off into Southside. The place was so run down, it looked nothing like it used to. Many buildings were boarded up as the majority of businesses had closed. The people roaming the streets wore tattered clothing, evident they had seen rough times. Was this all because of the brewing civil war between the witches?

She parked behind Amy's shop, The Binding Candle. After scoping the area for any lurkers, she exited her car and made her way to the backdoor. Once inside, she smiled as the aroma of the shop filled her nose. Atleast this place hadn't changed.

Audra locked the backdoor and walked down the narrow hallway, passing the storage room and the stairs that led to the apartment above the shop. She stopped at the doorway to the main floor, relieved to see her best friend alone as she restocked behind the counter. Audra gently knocked on the wooden doorframe so she wouldn't startle her.

"Hey Amy."

Amy turned around with a smile plastered on her face. She squealed, dropping what she was holding and jumping over the counter before wrapping her best friend in a hug. "Oh my god, Audra! I can't believe you're really here. You look great. Your hair is getting so long," Amy rambled, letting her go.

She smiled at her friend in thanks as she looked her over. Although they kept in touch over the years, a face to face conversation never happened, even with technology. Amy pretty much looked the same, her hair much shorter than she recalled. "Thanks, you look good too. I'm sorry it took so long to get over here. Been trying to keep a low profile, ya know?"

Amy shrugged. "I understand." She paused for a moment. "So, how'd things go with your surprise visit to Viktor? He wouldn't give me any details when he stopped by last night, just said you'd pick up this package today."

"There's nothing to tell," Audra spoke softly. She didn't want to tell Amy about the two almost kissing. Her friend would just encourage such behavior and she couldn't put her family at risk anymore than she already has.

Amy rolled her eyes as she returned to her spot behind the counter, rummaging around as she looked for the herb Viktor had left. "Oh come on, you're telling me he did this favor for you after all these years without expecting or getting anything in return?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"He's still in love with you then."

"Just stop," Audra demanded, her volume surprising them both. She took a moment to breathe, lowering her voice but also keeping it firm. "You know it's been over between Viktor and I for a long time. If it wasn't for the favor, I wouldn't have reached out to him. Now, can we please drop it?"

Amy nodded, handing over a small jar. "Okay, let's discuss something else. Why are you still in town? I thought you were only staying for the funeral because of Henry."

She sighed heavily, wishing her friend would stop asking so many questions. She could only tell Amy the partial truth, not wanting to involve her in what was going on. "Victoria asked me to stay."

"I bet that's going well."

Audra smiled at her best friend's sarcasm. "She's grieving, I understand it's easier for her to take it out on me. After all, I am the sister that abandoned her. Her words, not mine, obviously."

"Victoria wouldn't think that if you actually told her why you had to leave. Who knows, you two might even get along." Audra snorted, causing the two to laugh. Once they regained their composure, Amy's face turned serious. "So what's with the rare herb? And don't lie to me, Audra. I remember you buying it a long time ago for an important spell before your exile. Talk to me, please. Maybe I can help you."

A heavy sigh escaped the brunette. The last thing she wanted was to get her friend involved in her never ending drama, but she knew Amy wouldn't let it go. "The spell is for my niece," Audra finally admitted. "Victoria asked me to take her power away when she was seven, but time is running out for me to give it back."

___________


The moment she stepped out of the cab, Natalie regretted agreeing to go out. She nervously tugged on the hem of her long-sleeved, black dress before taking a deep breath and forcing herself to go inside. She was greeted by the loud, constant noise of slot machines going off and faint jazz music played throughout the area.

Besides the bars around town, the casino was one of the most interesting places for the night life in Cedar Creek. With plenty of slots and card tables to choose from, it was sure to keep you entertained. If gambling wasn't your thing, there was the restaurant towards the back of the building that always had a long line, but it was worth the wait. The food was exquisite, making it a main attraction during the summer season with tourists.

Natalie enjoyed the bar the most. Like the restaurant, it was more secluded compared to the rest of the casino. It stayed well stocked, even with top shelf delicacies, and the bartenders always made the drinks worth the cost. It was the perfect place to drink and dance and just have a good time. That's where Nick's work party was taking place and the main reason she agreed to join her friends tonight.

As she made her way across the room, a server holding a tray topped with champagne stopped her in her tracks. She gracefully accepted a glass with a smile before gulping down the whole thing and returning it for another as she continued. She was here now, so Natalie decided to try to make the best of it. After all, it was okay for her to have fun.

Natalie happened to glance at the Blackjack table nearby and she froze. There he was, the attractive guy from the previous night. He wore a white dress shirt and black pants, a contrast to his casual attire the night before. She watched as his perfect lips tugged back into that troublemaking grin while his eyes focused on the cards in his hand. As if he could sense her stare, his dark eyes flashed up to meet hers. Before she could revel in embarrassment, her blonde friend blocked her view from him.

"You are," Phoebe paused as she looked over her friend's attire. Natalie was surprised to see her smile. "You're fashionably late."

"Only by a half hour. How much could I have missed?" She shrugged, finishing her second glass of champagne. Natalie tried her best to get another glimpse of the stranger, but he wasn't looking at her anymore. "I'm sorry," she turned her attention back to Phoebe after discarding the glass on another tray. "I had trouble finding something to wear. You know how that can be."

Phoebe nodded, grabbing her by the arm. "C'mon, let me introduce you to a couple people and then we can hang out at the bar or something."

Truthfully, Natalie wasn't worried about Nick's employer or coworkers. She wasn't even sure why Phoebe was making her meet them if they were going to ditch the 'boring conversations' anyway. She stole another glance at the handsome stranger before they joined Nicolas and his boss, who were seated across from each other in a booth.

Both men stood and Nick introduced her to Mr. Jefferson, or Neil, as his boss insisted as he kissed her hand. Neil was younger than she imagined and quite good looking too. But Natalie could tell he was a flirt by the looks he gave her while her friends weren't paying attention. She was glad her and Phoebe would be doing their own thing soon.

He tried to make small talk with her as Phoebe and Nick briefly spoke amongst themselves. Natalie tried her best not to be rude, but she wasn't interested in chatting with the guy. She just wanted to spend time with her best friend and have fun for a few hours before getting back to reality.

After a few excruciating minutes of lying about attending school, Phoebe finally gave Nicolas a kiss and excused them. She grabbed Natalie by the arm again, dragging her over towards the bar. Not without Neil telling her how lovely it was to meet her before they were out of hearing range.

"What is that guy's deal?" she asked as Phoebe let go of her. "Please tell me he's like that with all the girls."

A laugh erupted from the blonde as she sat down on one of the barstools, motioning for Natalie to join her. "Oh, you should be thanking me. It was only a matter of time before he'd overshare details of his job and spend alot of money in hopes he'd sleep with you. It's classic Neil behavior, he does it every time he visits town."

The redhead sat next to her, giving her a pretend glare. "And yet, you thought it was a good idea to introduce me to him."

Phoebe rolled her eyes, her lips pulled up in a playful grin. "He's Nick's boss. I was trying to be polite, I'm sorry if things got awkward." She turned her head, searching for the bartender. "Don't worry, there's just one more person I want to introduce you to, then we can do whatever you want."

Natalie thought that was fair. The two chatted until the bartender finally made her way to their end of the bar. Natalie instantly recognized the girl from school awhile back.

"What will it be tonight ladies?" the girl asked in a professional matter.

"Water," Phoebe answered immediately, turning her gaze back to Natalie.

"Whiskey and keep 'em coming," Natalie replied. The girl scampered around and fulfilled their order, walking away after placing their drinks in front of them.

"Now this is a girl I can get along with."

A smile spread across her best friend's face as she turned around to meet the owner of the voice. Phoebe hopped off the stool and hugged the woman. "Simone! I thought you weren't gonna be here until later?"

When they released each other from the hug, Natalie got a better look at Simone. She was beautiful and clearly their senior by a few years. Her straight dirty blonde hair flowed just past her shoulders, some strands hanging in her hazel eyes. She was tall too, towering over her and Phoebe, even though they wore heels and she didn't.

In fact, Simone was not dressed up at all. She wore a plain long-sleeved white shirt and dark blue jeans. Her feet were covered in black ankle boots. Compared to everyone else, she stuck out.

"I decided to stop by my parent's house in the morning."

Phoebe turned her attention back to her friend as she returned to her seat. "Natalie this is Nick's cousin, Simone. She's in the process of moving and going to be staying with Nick and I this week."

Simone flashed a smile of perfect, white teeth, snagging the stool on the other side of Phoebe. "You must be the best friend?"

She chuckled softly, nodding. "That would be me. Nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Simone looked around the room. "Where is my little cousin anyway?"

"Schmoozing corporate," Phoebe said with a grin. "That's why we ventured off for girl time. You should join us! Natalie needs a drinking buddy anyway."

Simone glanced her way. "Hope you don't feel like I'm intruding."

Natalie shook her head no, flagging the bartender over. "Not at all. What's your poison?"