Two Hearts, One Love

Six

“If that’s a joke, it’s not funny.”

My mom rolled her eyes as she finished rearranging the furniture in the living room. I had returned from a meeting with James, paying him to pretend he was still my manager in case my mom called him. Turns out it was a good thing since she did call him, demanding information only minutes after agreeing to it. For now she was under the impression I was about to be hired by an agency in England.

“You’re going to have to tell her soon,” James said, pocketing the five grand I had given him. “I don’t feel comfortable lying to her.”

When I got back, I found her changing everything in the living room. That was a sure sign that she was upset about something. The couch was now on the other side of the room facing the television. The armchairs were on either side of the big bay window and my shelves with my gaming systems and games were situated under the TV. The only thing she hadn’t moved was the bookshelf and that was because it was full of more books. I had tried to make her stop but she was obsessed with the pillows on the couch now.

“You know I’m not joking,” she snapped. “Who would joke about something like that anyway?”

“So what do we do?” I asked as I sat down on the couch.

She glared at me as the pillows all bounced and got crooked. I gave her my winning smile which made her smile, regardless of how she fought it. She reached around me to fix them again.

“I’m not sure,” she said. “I really want to get her help but I know she won’t take it. I’m not a therapist, Ian.”

“Surely you can do something.”

She shook her head. “That young woman needs someone who is trained in this kind of thing, not an old woman who is helping her son keep her under suicide watch.”

I shifted on the couch, shoving my hands in my designer jean pockets. Just as I did, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and grimaced.

“As good a time as any,” my mom said. “Answer it. I’m going to the store to get some new curtains.”

I just grunted and dragged to the right on the green phone icon. I took a breath and lifted the phone to my ear.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hi, baby!” Annie shouted and I moved the phone away from my ear. “Why haven’t you called me?”

It was clear she was drunk. This wouldn’t end well.

“I’ve been a bit busy,” I said vaguely. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m a little tipsy,” she said. “Can I come sleep it off?”

I hesitated. Normally I wouldn’t have a problem with it. But she was with her friends; I could hear them laughing and singing off key in the background. Why couldn’t she go there? And with Celeste here….

“Sure,” I said with a sigh. “You got a ride?”

“Becky is bringing me. We’re turning into the parking lot now.”

I grit my teeth. If there was one thing I hated more than anything else, it was being expected to cater to someone last minute. She knew this but, when she was drunk, Annie lost all common sense. I wasn’t too surprised to hear loud laughter and the door burst open. Annie was leaning on Becky, her platinum blond hair messy and tangled. Her green eyes were hazy and I let Becky deposit her on the couch beside me.

“She’s a little….” Becky trailed off as Annie started to laugh at one of my pillows, holding it in front of her.

“She lost a contract, didn’t she?” I asked and she nodded sympathetically.

“Vogue.”

I whistled and she waved as she left. Annie stretched, smacking me in the face on accident. She grinned and threw her arms around my neck, kissing me roughly. I shook my head and gently pushed her off.

“Not when you’re this drunk,” I said but she scoffed.

“I’m not drunk,” she slurred. “C’mon. It’s been too long.”

“I’m not in the mood, Annie.”

“Well I am.”

She straddled me and I groaned quietly. She was struggling with my buttons when Patty walked in, a full plate of food in her hands. She hadn’t noticed Annie.

“She still won’t eat,” she said. “I don’t know why you’re- Oh.”

Annie blinked at Patty.

“Who’re you talking about?” Annie asked.

“You didn’t tell her?” Patty asked me and I glared.

She left sheepishly and Annie stumbled to her feet. Her eyes were wild with anger.

“Take a breath,” I said. “It’s not what you think.”

“Are you cheating on me!?” she screeched anyway.

“Of course I’m not,” I snapped. I stood up and straightened my shirt. “I’m not a cheater Annie. I can’t believe you’d think that.”

She cried, her tears large and fast. And completely fake.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been a good girlfriend,” she whimpered.

“You haven’t-.”

“But I don’t want to lose you,” she said. “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“More like my wallet is,” I said before I could stop myself.

I hadn’t meant to say it but perhaps it was a good thing. It stopped the fake tears and even sobered her up a bit. She matched my gaze. Her eyes darted around the room and her voice dropped.

“Don’t even think about it, Parker,” she hissed. I clenched my hands into fists. “You need me. Your career will fall apart without me.”

“Maybe I don’t need my career anymore.”

She tossed her head back and laughed. “Don’t be an idiot. You think you can make it out there on your own? Not a chance. Your pretty face belongs on magazines and billboards right next to mine.” She strode up and pinched my cheek. I smacked her hand away. “We’re perfect for each other. One image projecting another. Now who is this broad?”

“Just a girl that was hurt,” I said. “Go to the room. Sleep it off. I’ll have your driver come get you when you wake up.”

She narrowed her eyes dangerously.

“Why is she here? Why not the hospital?”

“She’s my cousin.”

The lie came out easily and without any prior thought. Her eyes searched mine for a few minutes before nodding and walking away, bumping into the walls a few times. I took a few steadying breaths before sitting back down. That was going to bite me in the ass, I knew it.