‹ Prequel: Accept this confession

Lies Will Come Back to Haunt You

In a crooked little town

Ben walked steadily along the pathway in the park. He kicked up a few rocks and whistled a melancholy tune. He used to be happy. He used to live life to the fullest. After Maggie had been sent away he hadn’t been the same. Ben now wore nothing but dark clothes, rarely smiled, and been in deep depression.

On his walk he passed a bench where a crying girl sat. Ben stopped and stared down at the girl.

“You okay?” he asked. He really didn’t care. He just figured he’d be polite. I mean, she was making a river!

“I’m fine!” the girl snapped not even looking up.

“You don’t look fine. You look like a sprinkler,” Ben replied.

“Well, you’re nice,” the girl sniffled.

“Hey, I was just trying to help.”

“Who cares?”

“I kinda did.”

The girl looked up at him with her eyeliner running.

“Really?” she asked.

“Why else would I ask?” Ben asked rolling his eyes. She was a wreck, a helpless case. He really didn’t even have time for her.

“You don’t seem to,” she said.

“Fine then. I don’t care,” Ben replied. He spun around on his heel and began to walk away.

“Wait!” she screamed.

What does she want?

Ben spun back around.

“What?”

“Can you take me to the hospital?”

“Why? You look fine.”

“I’m not.”

“You said you were.”

“I was just..well...being...uh...never mind! Just look!” She rolled up her sleeves. They were covered in deep blue and black bruises.

“HOLY-,” Ben jumped back and covered his mouth in shock.

“I told you,” she said.

“Fine. I’ll take you,” he began to walk toward the exit and motioned for her to follow him.

—Ben’s POV----

I decided to take the girl to the hospital. She looked scared. She kept looking back like someone might be following her. I figured I’d make small talk.

“So, what’s your name?” I asked.

“What?!” she jumped.

“I asked your name, dufus,” I replied.

“Oh, it’s...um...Veronica”

“Awesome.”

“What’s yours?” she asked looking back.

“Ben,” I said. Her eyes became wide.

“What?” I asked.

“I just knew a Ben. A long time ago.”

“Wasn’t me. You’re the first Veronica I know.”

“Do you have a car?” Veronica asked quickly changing the subject.

“Yeah,” I replied, “why?”

“I just wanted to know if we were walking or driving.”

“We’re driving” She let out a sigh of relief. It was either, she was too tired to walk that far or she needed to get away from someone...fast.

We reached the entrance of the park where my car was parked and let her in the front seat. I took the driver’s seat and we drove off heading towards the hospital. We remained silent for awhile.

“How’d you get the bruises?” I asked. Probably a sore spot but I was curious and I had nothing else to talk about it. She just shot me a look. I left it at that and we went back to the awkward silence. She’d have to at least tell the doctors what had happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
New character! Ben isn't. He was going to be here again eventually.

Chapter title: Fallen Leaves.