The Chosen Ones

Chapter 1

I slowly put down the book I'm reading. I glance around discreetly while walking towards the front window. I pull back the certain just enough to peek outside. I jump back. They're here! Men wearing black suits were covering my lawn. I should have been more careful. I look around for my best escape route. I hear someone shouting order and I quickly dive behind the couch just as the window shatters. Taking a deep breath I bound up the stairs in front of me. Chances are they're all over the backyard as well.
When I get to the top of the stairs I hear them jump through the broken window. I tip toe towards the door at the end of the hall, praying the flour wouldn't squeak. Inside the room I close the door quietly and lock it. I grab my backpack that I always kept ready in case of situations like this. I take one last look at the room. I hadn't been here that long. The only thing in here was a bed that consisted of a bunch of sheets on the floor. The only place I bothered to decorate was the living room so that if the neighbors insisted on coming in the place would appear normal. Just a normal young woman's home.
I walked into the bathroom locking the door behind me. I grab a few extra things I might need including the wad of cash I had behind the sink and shoved it in my bag. Throwing the bag on my back I peek out the window. I was right. They had my place surrounded. I sigh. usually they just came with a few people. I guess they realized that wasn't working for them. Today they had an army. I quietly open the window hoping they wouldn't see me. I stand in the window my eyes widening. There had to be at least fifty of them out there. This isn't good. I shake my head looking at the house next to me, judging the distance between me and the edge of the roof. I could make that. I jump but it was farther away than I thought. I sent a blast of air below me and it lifts me up just high enough to reach the roof. I hung there for a few extra seconds making sure they haven't detected me. Using that was a huge risk. They had technology to detect that kind of stuff but hopefully a gust of wind won't set them off. I expertly swing my leg over the side. When I'm up I immediately start running the length of the roof, jumping the gaps between the houses as quickly was possible.
"On the roof!" They spotted me three houses down. On the fifth house I've run out of houses. Without missing a beat I swing myself down going feet first through a window. I probably could have just jumped off the roof but I couldn't risk an injury when they were so close.
My eyes adjusted to the dim lighting of the room. A little boy stares at me wide eyed. After assessing him quickly to make sure he wasn't hurt I bolt out of the room. Thankfully I chose a neighborhood where all the houses were the same. Running down the stairs I push past the parents who were rushing up to see what the noise was. Yelling an apology over my shoulder I run out the back door. If I could just hop the fence and make it into the woods I could lose them. I'd spent weeks exploring those woods. If I kept going straight to the the river I would find my makeshift canoe waiting for me.
I ran as fast as I could jumping the fence easily. All the training I'd been doing is paying off. As I run through the woods tree limps scratched me cheeks. It couldn't be helped, if I slowed down at all they would catch me. They were only a few steps behind me. Luckily for me they weren't used to running in this area and it really slowed them down.
The river couldn't have come soon enough. I quickly uncovered the canoe and pushed it into the water. I hop in paddling quickly. The rapids were a few feet in front of me. I jerk to the side as something races past my ear and embeds itself in the front of the canoe. Fear shoots through me. They're shooting tranquilizers at me! If I get hit it's all over. I've no choice. I have to use it. I couldn't really control it so I tried not to use it that often. Before today I'd used it a few times before but I'd injured a lot of people. I didn't think it was worth the risk. I had to use it at the house but now that I know there isn't many people around I wasn't going to hold back.
I stopped paddling focusing all my attention on making the water move. I held it making it build up into a giant wave. I could hear them yelling but I couldn't make out what they were saying above the roar of the wave. Were they retreating? I tried and failed to get the water to moving. It just wouldn't budge and it was getting bigger. I panicked. If this got to big it would flood all the houses. My mind wondered back to the little boy. I couldn't let that happen. Instead of trying to move the water I shot a huge gust of wind at the wall of water. That got it going but as soon as I shot the air out I flew backwards out of the canoe leaving my stomach behind with it.
I skid across the water before going under. I quickly swim towards the surface. I'd flown a few good feet. The wave had already crashed down and I couldn't see anyone. Did it actually work? I swam to the river bank trying to ignore the stinging pain from skidding across the water. not taking any chances I keep running down river. There was a car dealership close by. My plan was to get there while they were still chasing me on foot. I'd jump into a car and drive away. They wouldn't be able to keep up on foot. I felt a little bit uneasy. They shouldn't have been able to find me. I took extra percoutions. So how did they find me? I chose a pretty secluded place and it was completely random so there wasn't a pattern in my movements. Surrounding this town was nothing but open road. Partially so if something went down there would be no one around to get hurt. I learned the hard way that they'd do anything to catch me. At my last house they'd thrown tiny bombs to get me out. I guess because there was so many this time they figured I wouldn't be able to escape. They underestimated me.
I slowed as I broke out of the woods. The dealership was right there. I jump into the nearest car and hot-wired it and peeled out of the parking lot. I'd watched this place for days. He always kept the more popular cars unlocked. Looking in the review mirror I see a good handful of them burst through the woods. They wasted no time in getting cars. I had hoped the wave would have bought me more time to put some distance between us. I floor it, but they caught up quickly and sandwiched me between them. I quickly fasten my seat belt. This wasn't going to end well. I bumped one of them sending them skidding of the road. The other sped up. As soon as he was in front of me he cut me off. I swerve to avoid him but that was a mistake. The sudden jerk of the steering wheel at this speed sent my car rolling. i hold my arms close to my body but my head slams into the window and black spot dance across my vision. No, I can't lose now!
When the car rolls to a stop I'm upside down. I groan. Everything's moving in and out of focus. I fumble to unbuckle my seat belt as cars skid to a stop all around me. No, no, no. I get the seat belt holding my hands above my head to catch my fall. Climbing out of the broken window I stand up on shaking legs. I sway on my feet.
"Don't move!" Someone shouts. I look in there direction and laugh bitterly. They've all got those stupid tranquilizer guns trained on me. So they don't want to kill me? No they want you for experiments. I stumble forward almost falling. I knew they were going to shoot so I put up a thick wall of air.
"Just leave me alone! I haven't done anything!" I keep walking forward, my head starts pounding at he effort it takes to keep up the wall. I fall to my knees, my world spins wildly. No, this can't be over. It just can't! I flip in my back no longer able to hold myself up. A young guys face appears above me. I guess this means my walls fallen. I look into his eyes glaring. He looks almost...concerned? But why? This is what he wanted. He has me.
"Get this cleaned up!" He shouts at the men surrounding me. His voice sounds miles away as my world goes black.