The Chosen Ones

Chapter 3

My whole body stings when I wake up. I mentally scold myself for not putting up a shield before running out there like that. I try to sit up but something is holding me down. I open my eyes and frown at the binds that hold me to a bed.
"Careful, you'll hurt yourself." I turn to a girl standing beside me. Her blonde hair is pulled back into a pony tail and her blue eyes stare at my arm in concentration. I look down to see her hands glowing and hovering over some of the bullet wounds. I try to pull away. What the hell is she trying to do to me! "Relax, I'm just trying to heal you, I'm a healer."
"I can heal myself." I say icily. She looks taken aback by the sound of my voice but she continues anyway.
"I know...I am helping you heal faster. You were banged up pretty bad when he brought you in here...there was so much blood..." She shakes her head.
"I don't need your help."
"Yes you do." She obviously wasn't going to stop. I concentrate on heating up the binds around my wrists. I don't like to mess with fire; I've had some pretty bad accidents with it but this seems to be the only way I can get out of these binds. The girl suddenly backs away when the binds start smoking.
"J-Jasper!" The guy that carried be in here runs into the room just as I get my hands free. I quickly put up a barrier between me and them before taking the binds off my ankles. Suddenly the bed I am sitting on erupts in flames. No not again, I can never stop the fire, never. My mind flashes back to when I was a little girl and I first discovered that I could make fire. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. My best friend and I were sitting in my room and I was trying to show her...the whole house went up in flames...
JASPER
The sprinklers and alarm go off in the room and I push Becca away from the still burning table. I know I could put it out but because air is the first thing I used around her I can't use any other element. I look to the other side of the table where the girl is just standing there staring at the fire. I take this chance to catch her and pull her hands behind her back. She immediately tries to pull away and move towards the fire.
"No we have to go in and save her! I can't leave her!"
"There's nobody there!" I shout above the alarm. She doesn't seem to hear me. She will not listen to me until I get her out of this room. Something about that fire was bothering her. I quickly pull her towards the door and by the time I got her out the fire was almost put out. I push her against a locker in the empty hallways. Thank god everyone has already evacuated the building. I wave my hand in front of her face but she still seems dazed.
"Is she ok?" Becca asks next to me. I shake the girl lightly and she slowly looks up at me. I hadn't noticed before because of the sprinklers but she was crying.
"What?" She whispers. She looks around and her face hardens. She goes to move but I pin her against the lockers. "Let me go! Why can't you people just leave me alone!" Something about her has changed. I can't put my finger on it but it isn't good. If she gets to emotional a bed catching on fire will be the least of our worries.
"Becca go! Tell all the teachers to move the students farther away from the building!" She leaves immediately. I look at the girl standing in front of me and her eyes were already starting to glow. "Look at me, you cannot do this here. There are too many people around."
"No, I just want to be left alone. I have never hurt anyone on purpose. I didn't do anything wrong!" I brace myself for the force of energy that seems to be radiating off of her.
"If you don't stop innocent people are going to get hurt!" She looks at me uncertainly but her energy keeps rising. She closes her eyes and her eyebrows knit together in concentration. She quickly opens her eyes looking panicked.
"I can't! It won't stop!" Great. I just hope Becca and the others are already moving away. If she can at least control it a little bit then the damage won't be as bad and maybe it will not reach the others.
"Keep trying!" I try to suppress her energy but she seems to be letting it all out at once. The building around us starts to groan. I concentrate harder but she is on the brink of letting go. Come on, come on.
She lets out her energy and I'm thrown away from her as every window in the building shatters.
* * * * "Jasper?" My body aches as I try to sit up but someone puts their hand on my chest. "Don't move." I open my eyes and see Becca standing next to me. I look down at myself and see I'm covered in cuts.
"What happened?" I ask pushing her hands away. I'll heal on my own.
"You two are just the same, you don't think you need help healing." She says grumpily. I roll my eyes and repeat my question. "I don't know what you did but lucky for us only the windows were blasted out...a couple students were hurt but it is nothing major. They have already been healed..." I sigh in relief. It could have been so much worse.
"Where is she?"
"She's back in one of those rooms. I wanted to heal her as well but the principal didn't think it was safe to be around her. Everyone is on clean up duty now."
"She's right. Do you know if she's awake?"
"Last I heard she is still unconscious." Maybe that's for the best.
"I should go help clean up." Becca moves in front of me.
"You'll just scare them with all that blood on you. Besides you know how easy it is to clean up messes around here. Now go get cleaned up, the principal would like to see you asap." I sigh. That's just what I need right now.