The Chosen Ones

Chapter 4

JASPER
"It is too dangerous to keep her here!"
"You can't just send her away! That would be even more dangerous!" I tired, we have been arguing like this for hours. The principal straightens in her chair when she get a phone call. I sigh as she answers.
"Perfect, I will be sending them right away." She hangs up and looks at me funny. "I will not just be sending her away, you will be going with her." My mouth falls open. "I have arranged for one of the houses we own to be cleaned so that you may train her there. It is perfect because it is in the middle of no where. She will not be able to hurt anyone there."
"I-"
"There will be weekly check ups to see what kind of progress she is making. As soon as she is ready you may come back. This conversation is over. I expect you to be packed within the hour." I stand up and leave the room in a daze. I'm being sent away?

EMILY
I can't believe I lost control. I told myself I would never let that happen again. I think as I stare out the car window. I didn't object when Jasper told me they were sending us away. I didn't try to run either. I saw the damage I had done to that place. Jasper reassured me that no one got hurt. I was lucky this time.
"We're here." He says getting out of the car. I slowly get out and look up at what seems to be an old plantation home. Jasper moves to the trunk and pulls out our bags and I follow him into the house. Sheets cover all the furniture. "Alright, they gave us two weeks to settle in before we start your training, I guess we'll start with cleaning up the place..." He looks at me.
"Alright." I don't know what he did today when I was losing control but he helped me suppress my powers and if he hadn't done that a lot of people would have been hurt. I figure now I should at least give him a chance to help me.
The house was pretty far away from that place and we really only had time to clean up the living room so we had a place to sleep for the night. I was hungry but Jasper said they were coming with supplies tomorrow and we aren't allowed to leave the property. I glance to the other couch where he is already asleep. How was he able to help me? He doesn't really seem to be that special but the school did send him with me. I stand up and walk toward the back door. I could just leave if I wanted to, there's nothing that can stop me here. So why don't I?
JASPER
I woke up the next morning as the sun light shines through the curtains. I slowly sit up and look around. My eyes fall on the empty couch next to me. Crap! I jump off the couch and run through the hose looking for her. I sigh in relief when I find her in the kitchen putting away food.
"Hi." She glances at me but continues to put things away.
"They already came by with the supplies." She mumbles. Obviously. I take a quick peak at the groceries that are still sitting on a table. Then I help her put them away. I'm usually pretty good at talking to people but with her I just feel awkward. Maybe it's because she is the only person like me left. I glance around the kitchen and noticed it was spotless.
"When did you clean this?"
"Last night...I couldn't sleep." She was up all night? We finish putting the groceries away and take a quick break to eat some breakfast. After that we headed upstairs to clean the rooms. We decided only to clean two and by the end of our first day here we'd finished cleaning those and the bathrooms.
EMILY
After we finished cleaning I locked myself in my room and put away the clothes they had brought me this morning. It's so awkward being around him and he keeps looking at me funny. I look out my window which has a view of the backyard. It's a huge field with tall grass. Jasper says we will be doing yard work tomorrow and this field is where we will be doing my training. I still don't see how he can train me with just being an air user and all but I am willing to find out. There's a knock at my door.
"Hey." Jasper says when I opened it.
"Hi."
"I made some dinner. You should come down and eat...there's a lot we need to talk about." I nod and follow him down stairs. It was just pizza but it smelled so delicious. I sat down across from him at the small table. We just sat there quietly eating until he finally decides to speak. "Before we start the training and all that I need to tell you something..." I put my slice of pizza down and look at him. "You aren't the only one of your kind left..."
I stare at him. He must be kidding. My parents told be that everyone was hunted and killed. There is no possible way that there is someone else.
"You're lying." I say angrily. This isn't something someone should joke about.
"I'm not...I'm like you." He lifts up his hand and conjures fire and continues on to show me that he can use all of the elements. I stare at him emotionless for awhile. This whole time he was with me he knew who he was and didn't tell me.
"Did it ever occur to you that maybe I wouldn't have tried to run away if I had known?"
"It did but I was told not to tell you yet...they wanted you to learn the way all the other students did. That school back there is filled with people like us, but they can only wield one element." I see. I guess I should have guessed that he was like me. I've had this weird feeling ever since I met him. Maybe it is because he is the only other person like me.
I wanted to be mad at him for lying to me but I feel so relieved that I'm not alone anymore.
"Well then I guess you are the only person that can help me...I'm tired. I think I'll turn in for the night."
"Goodnight." I glance at him and find myself surprised at how handsome he is. I never noticed it before because I was just focused on getting away. I shake my head and head up to my room.