Sequel: Him and I

If You Could Love

Tough Gets Tender And Pride Gets Humble

The end of the Predators five day bye week in February would find the team with two away games before returning to Nashville for a four game home stand. James and Alex flew together to Nashville and parted at the airport, with James flying on to Minnesota and Alex returning home.

Home in Nashville was once again James’s house. On the Friday of the All Star weekend in January, James had pulled up in front of her apartment building in a moving truck. They had haphazardly packed her things and moved them back to his place by the end of the day, proceeding to spend the rest of the weekend in bed.

Moving back in with James but now sharing his bedroom had made their relationship very real. Telling his teammates they were together was a logical next step for them but Alex had been hesitant to do so since her breakup with Pekka was still fresh. James understood and was happy to let her come to the decision in her own time but was definitely thrilled she had decided she was ready.

Next would be telling their families, but they had decided to hold off on that until summer when Alex visited Whitby to tell the Neal clan.

Once Alex reached their home and went inside, she immediately dropped her luggage outside the laundry room and headed up the stairs. She filled the bathtub and after a long soak, got out and dressed, and headed for her bakery.

“You're back!” Kathryn called out when Alex crossed the threshold of the shop. “Tell me everything.”

Alex laughed at her friend's enthusiasm. “It was just a vacation. No big deal.”

“No big deal?! Not all of us vacation with our mega hot athlete boyfriends you know. So tell me everything, especially about Valentine's Day.”

Alex studied her friend's face for a moment. “You helped him, with the dress.”

“Did you love it? How did it look? Do you have a picture?”

Alex pulled out her phone and showed Kathryn a picture of her and James, his arm around her shoulders and holding her close to his side, her hand resting on his chest. Kathryn sighed.

“You look so good together. And happy. Alex, I swear I've never seen you happier.”

“I am happy, really and truly happy. I just didn't think it'd ever be James.”

“Why not though? I've seen you two since he moved here, the way you interact with each other, the easiness, the level of comfort. Why did it never cross your mind to date the guy?”

“I never said it didn't. It's just that the first time I realized I maybe felt something more was when James got traded from Dallas to Pittsburgh. And in the end I chalked that up to just being sadness that my best friend was leaving and moving a thousand miles away. When James was in Pittsburgh, I went and visited a few times but mostly we texted or talked on the phone once or twice a month. And then I picked up and moved to Nashville for a guy who left me high and dry and I found Mary and For Goodness Cakes.”

“And when James got traded here?”

“I got butterflies when he called and told me. I got butterflies when he came into town to find a house. I got butterflies at his first home game. But I couldn't say it out loud and I committed myself to here, to building the shop after Mary passed. James threw himself into being a Predator and proving himself all over again. When he asked me if I wanted to live with him to save money, we were roommates and roommates only that first year.”

“What changed?”

“James is hard for me to resist when he charms me with his smile. And he knows it. But I met Cooper when James was gone for the summer and nothing changed. Not until we broke up and James took care of me, and cheered me up. I thought that maybe something was going to happen but he didn't make a move and went home for the summer. And when I visited him, he introduced me to his friends and he didn't do anything other than be my friend.”

“But when he came back to Nashville, early I might add, something did happen,” Kathryn pointed out.

“Yeah but I was naked in his bedroom. And James is a manslut. Of course something happened. I didn't think it meant anything. I was past the crush again.”

“So when Pekka showed up and expressed interest, that's why you went out with him?”

“I didn't go out with Pekka to spite James. I liked Pekka. He never treated me like I was just some hanger-on of James’s. He treated me as an equal, and with respect. He's one of the only guys that took the time to get to know me, that I would call a friend. I was surprised when he asked me out but I did genuinely like him. Everything that happened after was never my intention. I never thought James would tell me that he loved me, or kick me out of his house. I never thought I'd be torn between two guys I cared about. I never thought I'd be standing here right now having just come back from the most amazing getaway of my life with the most amazing guy.”

“When's the wedding?” Kathryn teased.

“We've only been dating for six weeks you know.”

“You've known him for seven years. I think it gets a pass.”

“Eight years next week, and regardless, we didn't talk about that.”

“He’s thinking about it, I guarantee it. You're going to come back for the start of next season engaged to him.”

“Whatever,” Alex blushed.

“Oh my god! You want to be engaged! You want to be Mrs. James Neal! You want those smiles for the rest of your life.”

“They're pretty great smiles.”

The two girls continued to talk about Alex’s trip and Kathryn’s week at the shop as they closed up the for the day. They parted ways in the parking lot and Alex returned home after stopping for some takeout. She was just settling onto the couch when her phone began to ring with an incoming FaceTime call.

James smiled at her as her face filled his screen. “Hey; I’m sorry I didn't call sooner. We had a team meeting as soon as we were all here and my flight got delayed leaving Nashville so I was one of the last guys to get here.”

“It's okay; I've been at the shop with Kathryn catching up.”

“Girl talk,” he smirked.

“Is that Alex?” She heard PK yell out, his face appearing over James’s shoulder a moment later. “Hey, Alex!”

“Hi, PK!” she waved.

“Dude, get out of here,” James said, shoving at the other man. “How did you even get out of here?”

“I told the housekeeper lady I forgot my key and she let me in; real nice lady. Gave me some extra shampoo too.”

James rolled his eyes at him as PK lingered behind him. “Do you mind?”

“No. Do you?”

“Yes.”

“Are you going to have phone sex?”

“Get out, Subby,” James growled as Alex blushed.

“How was the break, Alex?” PK asked instead.

“It was very nice, thank you. How was yours?”

“Fantastic,” he grinned. “I am recharged for the final stretch. I hope Nealer is too,” he winked.

James stood abruptly. “Go away, PK,” he said, pointing to the door.

“See ya back in Smashville, Alex!” PK grinned.

“Bye, PK,” she laughed as James ushered him out of the room, throwing the lock.

“I hate my teammates,” he grumbled.

“I like them.”

“Because you're nicer than me. Which is a good thing otherwise they might all hate me.”

“Assuming you're scoring goals, I don't think they would hate you.”

“Except I'm not scoring goals right now.”

“You will; it'll come. You are the Real Deal after all.”

“Enough about hockey. I was calling to say that I missed you.”

“I miss you too. It's a short road trip though.”

“Yeah but the California trip is in like two weeks.”

“Maybe I should go out to San Jose and stay with Paul.”

“You should definitely come out to California but you shouldn't stay with Paul. I'll sneak you in and out of my hotel rooms.”

“That doesn't sound like fun.”

“Well Paul isn't fun either.”

“That is a lie and you know it. I've hung out with Paul; he's plenty fun. As a bonus, he's smart and practical.”

“So everything you like about Tavares plus what you like about me. Nope. Ain't happening.”

She giggled. “You're so easy to wind up. And that I know it's because you're jealous I'll enjoy it more.”

“I am not jealous.”

“Bull. Shit.”

He stuck his tongue out at her and she did the same back. James sighed as his eyes slid to the digital clock by the bed. “I gotta meet the guys for dinner. I'll talk to you tomorrow?”

“You better.”

“Love you, Alex.”

“I love you too, James.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Stanley Cup Final, AHHHHHH!!!!