Sequel: Him and I

If You Could Love

He Can Hold You

Game One

James liked to think he didn't get nervous. Not anymore at least. He was a veteran after all. He hadn’t felt nervous through either of the team's two practices. He hadn't felt nervous at media day the day before. As they departed the bus that brought them to the arena though, he felt butterflies in his stomach. When they reached the visitors locker room, he shrugged out of his suit jacket and sat in his stall, taking it all in and as his teammates began to change out of their suits, it hit him. This was Stanley Cup Final was a big deal and it was his first time getting this far in the playoffs.

The feeling was a mix of nerves and excitement and right now the nerves were winning a battle waging in his head. Was he good enough? Could he show his former team's upper brass that they had made a mistake, that he was passionate, that he was an important cog in the wheel? Was his team good enough? Could their magical run continue?

He needed a minute to breathe and he closed his eyes and tried to tune out the noise of the room and the noise in his head. His fingers fiddled with the cufflinks on his shirt, the pair Alex had given him for Valentines Day and a smile crossed his face thinking about the memory. Her smile filled his mind and he began to relax a little more.

When he opened his eyes, he realized that he had twisted off the end of one of the cufflinks and he twisted his wrist to screw the end back on. Before he could, a rolled piece of navy paper fell into his lap. He looked around to see if anyone noticed him and finding everyone occupied, he unfurled the piece of paper and smiled softly at the words in Alex’s familiar, loopy cursive writing in Nashville gold.

Always beside you.

~*~*~


James slid into a seat on the bus right before the they left out the arena parking lot after the game. He pulled his phone out and checked his messages for the first time since before the game.

None of the messages surprised him. Wishes of luck, people telling them they'd take game two. The message that surprised him the least was Alex’s and he chuckled quietly at it, skipping all the others to answer hers.

You should try NOT TAKING STUPID PENALTIES sometime. Dumbass.

I'll keep that in mind next time.

Good. :b You guys were great tonight. I hope you all know that.

Even me with my stupid penalties?

Even you.

Are you at your hotel?

Yes.

I found your note before the game.

I hope you know it's true.

I do. I wish you were physically beside me right now though. I could use one of your hugs.

I know; me too. I love you.

Love you too. Thank you for always being there.

I've got your back, you've got mine.

I'll have some time after practice tomorrow...let me take you to lunch.

Just let me know where and I'll get an Uber there.

Come to the hotel and we’ll get a cab together.

Okay. I'll see you tomorrow then.

Tomorrow. Sweet dreams, Alex.


~*~*~


Game Two

All James wanted was to leave Pittsburgh and get back to Nashville, to home. He wanted to forget the first two games in the series. He wanted to put his arms around Alex and feel her against him.

He had seen her for lunch on Tuesday and he wouldn't see her again until sometime Thursday after her flight got into Nashville hours after his. The team's flight was after the game, which was just fine with James, especially given the result.

They had practice Thursday morning and after giving interviews and then showering, PK convinced him to go to lunch with him, Roman, Ryan, and Craig. When he finally made it home, he dropped his keys in the bowl in the front hall and took in a deep breath of fresh baked cookies.

“Alex?” He called out.

“Kitchen!” She called back.

He smiled as he headed in her direction and paused in the doorway as she took a cookie sheet out of the oven. Once it was down on the stove and she took a step back, James rushed forward and lifted her off the ground in his arms.

She laughed as he twirled her around in a tight embrace, and when he set her down, she leaned into him, running her fingers through his hair.

“Hi,” she breathed out.

“Hey,” he grinned. “It was lonely without you when I got in last night.”

“Poor baby,” she teased him. “Good thing I made cookies, huh?”

“Yes, but I need you to tell me everything is going to be okay too.”

“James....” She hugged him tightly. “You know things are going to be okay. There's plenty of hockey to be played and the next two are here. And even if this doesn't end up the way you want, it will still be okay.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

~*~*~


Game Three

Bridgestone Arena was electric. It was the only word that could even begin to describe the energy that coursed through the building. Alex was pretty sure she had lost her voice from screaming. At the very least she was going to be hoarse the next day but she did not care. They had won. James had scored. Everything was right in the world again.

When the team finally emerged from the locker room, Alex was bouncing with anticipation. “You were so good tonight, oh my god!” Alex squealed as she barreled into James arms. “And your goal! So fucking sweet!”

James laughed as he lifted Alex off the ground. “You have a way with words Miss Gates.”

She giggled and hugged him tightly around the neck as he set her down, nuzzling her face in his neck. “I have never in my life felt the energy this building had for a hockey game before.”

“Me either. It was pretty amazing.”

“Hey, hey!” PK greeted Alex enthusiastically in the hall.

“PK! Oh my gosh, please tell me you gave Sid the business at the end of the game.”

He laughed loudly. “Words were said,” he answered mysteriously.

“You're not going to give me anything, are you?”

“The air of mystery is what keeps me interesting.”

“A lot of things keep you interesting but an air of mystery ain't one of them,” Alex laughed.

“You still love me though.”

“That I do,” she agreed. “But I love this guy just a little bit more,” she said, wrapping her arms around James’s middle and squeezing. He smiled broadly and hugged her back.

“You hear that, Subby?” James started. “She's all mine. Get your own girlfriend.”

“Next season. Alex already promised,” he replied.

“Next season,” Alex agreed. “For now though, let's go and enjoy this win.”

“Let's go!” PK hollered.

~*~*~


They spent over two hours after the game in the private room of a nearby restaurant to celebrate the team's first win in the Stanley cup final. There was lots of laughing and smiles from everyone there.

When James and Alex finally made it home, they both discarded their clothes in messy piles in the floor. Alex pulled on a t shirt before burrowing under the covers. James chuckled as he slid in after her, pulling her back to him and holding her against him.

The excitement of the game and the win finally began to be replaced with a sense of calm as he heard her breathing even out. His eyes fluttered shut and he kissed the back of her head softly.

“I love you, Alex, with everything I have.”

~*~*~


Game Four

If it was possible, game four was louder and the arena was full of even more energy than game three. James wasn't sure how they hadn't blown the roof off the building to be honest. It was a great feeling, all the love and support from their fans.

It was an even greater feeling taking the two wins and evening the series. For the first time since the trade, he was looking forward to a game back in Pittsburgh. He hadn't thought that he would ever feel that way.

They had a day off before they would leave again for Pittsburgh and he and Alex had spent the day on the couch.

He never knew how perfect of a day a movie marathon could be. It had become one of his favorite things in the world to spend the day with Alex beside him in blissful silence as they just enjoyed each other's company. He wished he had realized sooner that what he was really missing out in life was simple cuddling all day on the couch with his girlfriend.

In the midst of everything that came with playing in the Stanley cup final, it was just really nice to have someone at his side, who believed in him, who loved him. He felt like a real idiot for not seeing it sooner with Alex.

Shortly after six in the evening, Alex leaned up to kiss James’s cheek. “I'm gonna make dinner; wanna help?”

“If by help you mean watch, sure,” he replied lazily, pulling her into his lap.

She giggled as she got to her feet. “Love you, Neal,” she called out over shoulder as she made her way to kitchen.

“Love you too, babe,” he grinned as he got up to follow.

~*~*~


Game Five

Alex was not above begging to get what she wanted as the last five minutes of the third period ticked down for game five. She needed to see James, and come hell or high water, she was going to see him. She hugged the other girlfriends she traveled with at a whistle with four minutes left and promised to meet them back at their hotel before setting off in the direction of the section she knew the Penguins WAGS would be sitting.

She made her way around an emptying concourse and waited just inside the entrance to the section as the game came to its merciful end. She stepped back against the wall as people left, watching for a familiar brunette she hoped would help her. A few people gave her looks as she waited in Predators colors and she ignored the ones who shouted “let's go pens” as they passed. Finally she spotted the woman she was looking for.

Veronique Fleury was queen of the WAGS in Pittsburgh and Alex was very fortunate that Vero had always liked her and included her as a part of the family whenever she visited James. Beside her as she approached was a blonde she also recognized, Catherine LeTang.

It was Catherine that spotted Alex first, nudging Veronique. “Alex!” Vero exclaimed. “It's been a long time,” she continued, stopping to pull her into a hug. “I always knew you and James would figure it out one day.”

Alex blushed. “Yeah, it was a bit of a bumpy road to get here.”

“What are you doing over here?”

“Just wanted to say hello...and see if maybe I could call in a favor?”

Veronique’s eyebrow quirked. “A favor?”

“I was hoping you could get me downstairs with you. So I could see James. They fly tonight but I don't fly back until tomorrow.”

“I think I can help with that.

“Thank you; you have no idea how much I appreciate this.”

“Anything for a fellow WAG, especially one I actually like. God, James used to bring the worst girls around,” Vero recalled as they set off. “Just terrible life choices. The first time I met you I was so pleased that he had made a good choice, and then Mark told me you were just friends and I was so disappointed. How could he not see what he had right under his nose?”

“It turns out that a lot of people have wondered that about us over the years. Too bad it took me dating Peks for us to finally figure it out.”

Veronique stopped in her tracks. “You dated the goalie?” She whispered in shock.

Alex nodded. “For four months.”

“No.”

“Yes. Long story short, Pekka asked me out, I said yes, James said nothing, we had a huge fight, he kicked me out, he sent me a letter at Christmas and told me he was in love with me, we fought again, we kissed on New Years, I was still dating Pekka, but I definitely knew I had feelings for James, he made up a story about having a date to see how I would react, I reacted by getting very jealous, and then I couldn't deny it any more. Pekka and I broke up, James and I became official and now here we are.”

“Wow...that sounds intense.”

“It was, but it was also all very worth it.”

“He is your one,” Vero said wisely as they began to walk again.

“I think he's my one,” Alex agreed with a happy smile. They reached an elevator that would take them downstairs and they made small talk catching up with one another. They rode downstairs and Veronique worked her magic on the security guard checking passes, getting Alex a temporary pass for the rest of the night.

After they were past security, Alex stopped to hug Veto tightly. “Thank you so much. You didn't have to do any of that and I just appreciate it so much.”

“I am happy to help. I'm just so thrilled you and James got together and you better remember this when you send out wedding invitations.”

Alex blushed and Veronique laughed. “Do you remember your way around?”

“I think so.”

She nodded. “I'll see you in a few days then.”

Alex nodded. “See you in Nashville. Thank you again.”

“You're welcome.” They waved goodbye and Alex started to the left while Veronique and Catherine went right.

Alex followed the hall and when she spotted the familiar backdrop for Fox Sports, she knew she was in the right path. She smiled and showed her pass to another security guard and made her way further down the hall. She spotted a door with a sign identifying it as the the visitor’s locker room and she stopped just down from it, leaning against the wall.

She had no idea how James would feel about her waiting for him. She hadn't done it before but she knew in her heart that she needed to do this.

Alex pulled her phone out and scrolled through social media to pass the time. Slowly a few players started to trickle out of the room silently. Alex smiled at them and when PK came out, she hugged him tightly.

“He should be out in a minute. He’ll be glad to see you.”

“Thanks.” She hugged him again before he continued towards the bus.

After a couple more minutes, James came out the door. Alex pushed off the wall and James looked up then, his eyes locking on hers.

“Alex?” He said in disbelief. “How did you...”

She smiled and walked towards him. “I asked Vero for help.”

He chuckled. “She always liked you; every time after you left from a visit she'd ask me when I was going to stop letting you get away. I'd brush it off and she’d mutter away in French. I'm pretty sure she was cursing me out of the sad look a Flower always gave me was any indication.”

Alex laughed. “Yeah, that sounds like Vero.”

“What are you doing down here?”

She shrugged. “I needed to see you. I had to.”

He pulled her into his arms and held her. “I'm really glad you're here,” he whispered.

She squeezed him tightly. “That fucking suck.”

He blew out a breath. “Tell me about it.”

“You'll get the next one at home.”

“I hope so.”

“Hey,” she said softly, leaning back to brush the hair from his face. “It's okay. Win or lose, you guys played your hearts out.”

“I just want to beat them so badly.”

“I know you do. But I'm proud of you either way so don't forget that.”

“I never do,” he smiled, lifting an arm and flashing his cuff link containing her note that he had found before game one.

“I love you,” she whispered, riding onto her tiptoes to press her lips against his. When she pulled neck, he tugged her back for another.

“I love you too,” he said softly, touching his forehead to hers.

“You need to go before you miss the bus.”

“I know.” He sighed dramatically as Alex took a step back from him. She laughed.

“Call me once you land, okay?”

“I will. I'll see you tomorrow.”

She nodded in agreement. “We get in around 11.”

“I'll bring lunch home after practice.”

“Sounds perfect.”

James adjusted the backpack on his shoulders and waved before setting off down the hall. Alex watched him go until he disappeared around the corner. She turned to head out herself and stopped when she saw Veronique approaching.

“I thought you might need a ride to the hotel,” she said.

“I would like that very much, thank you.”

“Just don't tell anyone I was fraternizing with the enemies girlfriend.”

Alex laughed. “Your secret is safe with me, Vero.”

~*~*~


Game Six

James had never felt as dejected in his life as he did when he sat down in his stall after the conclusion of game six. The room was completely silent and as he looked around, he realized everyone had the same stunned look on their faces. Nobody was moving, everyone was just sitting, staring into space.

Coach came in a short while later and a few of the guys had pulled off their jerseys but for the most part, they were all still fully dressed for battle. There was a speech given, James couldn’t say what was said, and then they were alone again and slowly, people starting getting to their feet and undressing.

Some forty five minutes after the game had ended, James shuffled out of the locker room and out to his car. He had texted Alex to go ahead home and that he'd see her there. His body was on autopilot as he drove home and let himself inside, locking up and dropping his keys in the bowl on the table as he made for the stairs.

He was surprised to find Alex still awake when he reached the door and he stood a minute and watched her before she looked up from her book, a smile crossing her face. She put the book aside and got up, crossing the room to embrace him.

“I'm so proud of you,” she said softly as his arms went around her and pulled her in tighter.

“We lost,” he said flatly.

She looked up at him and he saw so much love in her eyes. “Doesn't matter. I'm still so proud of you.”

“I broke my hand.”

“And you played eleven games of hockey with it broken you damn fool...and I'm still proud.” She kissed him, a gentle brush of her lips against his but James needed more.

He pressed his mouth to hers and swept his tongue across her bottom lift. She sighed and he took the opening to explore her mouth, picking her up and walking towards the bed. He pulled himself away from her long enough to set her on the bed.

She smiled up at him under lowered lashes and watched him intently as he took off his suit, leaving it in a crumpled heap as Alex moved back against the pillows, inviting him in beside her.

As she looked at him, lying back against the pillows in panties and one of his t shirts, he realized that she was the best thing to ever happen to him. And he was determined to never screw it up.

“Are you just going to stand there all night?” She asked, breaking him out of his thoughts. “Not that I mind,” she continued, her head tilting to appraise him. He flexed and she giggled. “The view is quite nice,” she admired. “And those boxer briefs leave very little to my imagination.”

He smirked and grabbed himself through the black cotton. “And do you like the view?”

“Very much,” she replied, licking her lips. “Now get over here so I can show you how much.”

James didn't need any further invitation.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry y'all! This took me forever. Writing parts for games five and six was hard! Thanks for being patient! Hope this makes up for the wait. :)