Sequel: Him and I

If You Could Love

The Man in Black Kind, Yeah You Know That Kind

Alex rushed into her bakery more than a little breathless as she hurried into the back of the shop to drop her things and pull on her favorite apron. When she went back into the front of the shop, Kathryn watched her wordlessly and Alex flushed under her gaze.

“Your hair's a mess. Did a tornado whip through Nashville and I missed it?” Kathryn finally asked. “Or did you just have sex? And with who?”

“How has business been today?” Alex asked instead.

“Normal Tuesday business. Who is the guy?”

“There's no guy. You know I'm not seeing anyone.”

“Then who is the fantasy because you definitely got off in the last half hour.”

Alex pulled her hair back, using a hair tie on her wrist to secure it back. “James got back in town today.”

“Your hot ass roommate that you're just friends with? I thought he wasn't coming back for two more weeks.”

“He changed his plans.”

“And?”

“And that's it.”

“Bullshit.”

“Don't you have a date to go get ready for?”

“I'd rather hear about you fucking your hunk of a best friend.”

“It's just sex,” Alex said dismissively.

“I don't believe you.”

“Well you should because that's it. James and I are just friends.”

“With benefits.”

“No, not with benefits. Just friends. We just happen to sometimes end up in bed together, like today.”

“So you're telling me it was an accident?”

“It doesn't mean anything.”

“Benefits.”

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Look, James is James. He's always picking up different women and he doesn't settle into a relationship ever.”

“Have you ever wondered why not though?”

“No, because he's a man whore.”

“Or he's in love with you.”

Alex laughed. “James is not in love with me.”

“How do you know?”

“I just do. We're two people who get each other and allow each other to live our crazy lives without judgement.”

“If you say so...”

“How is Chrissy working out?” Alex asked to change the subject.

“She's a good fit, and she's picked up on everything very quickly.”

“That's good. We haven't had much luck with new hires.”

“I have a good feeling about her.”

Alex nodded. “Anything I need to know for the rest of the day?”

“Nope. I expect it to be pretty quiet until you close. You're coming in tomorrow?”

“Bright and early.”

“If I need an out on this date, I'm texting you.”

“I'll send James to save you.”

“Please do; the man is sex on legs. I won't mind a bit pretending to be involved with him.”

“Please don't blow up his ego; he is not all that.”

“Says the girl who bangs her best friend.”

“Shut up. I'll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye girl!” She waved as she headed out.

Alex shook her head as she began tidying the front of the shop. Opening a bakery had been Alex's dream for as long as she could remember. She had hoped to do it in Dallas but then she met Adam and ended up following him to Nashville. When they broke up two weeks after the move and he took off for Montana, she was left to fend for herself and make her own way because going home and admitting defeat was not an option.

She had taken a job in a bakery to make ends meet and when the owner of the shop unexpectedly passed in a car accident nine months after she began the job, she was surprised to learn that the childless woman had willed the shop to her. She was even more surprised to learn that the shops mortgage was fully paid off and she owned For Goodness Cakes free and clear.

She closed the shop for two weeks following Mary’s death and in her cleaning out of the shop, found a letter written to her from Mary, explaining her decision. Mary had started the shop when she was in her twenties and loved every part of the job, from the baking to interacting with the people. She saw in Alex the same passion and drive and knew if anyone could carry on her legacy, Alex was the person for the job.

Alex had always felt a special kinship to Mary, ever since she had taken the job. She was honored that she had left her bakery to her and she vowed to grow Mary's legacy while also creating her own. She hired Kathryn to help with the baking and day to day operation of the shop, and they employed interns from the local culinary school often. Alex had grown the shop in the two years she had owned it from cakes to cakes, cookies, pies, and every other type of tasty treat one could imagine.

Of course it helped that James had given an interview within his first three months of joining the team while holding a bag from the shop and word had gotten out that several of the Predators stopped in for the occasional cheat on their otherwise healthy eating. It was free publicity that Alex greatly appreciated.

The chiming of the bells over the front door had Alex lifting her head to greet a customer. Her face broke into a grin at the tall, blonde goaltender crossing the threshold.

“Hello, Pekka,” Alex greeted him, coming around the counter to hug him. “I didn't know anyone else was back in town. It's so nice to see you.”

Pekka Rinne was one of Alex's favorites amongst James’ teammates. She appreciated his sense of humor and the fact that he had always treated her as an equal, and not like a puck bunny or dismissing her as just James's friend. He had taken the time to talk to her and get to know her on a personal level and for that she counted him amongst her friends.

“I think I am the only one back,” he chuckled as he hugged her a moment longer, not minding at all the pretty woman close to him.

“James got back today,” she told him.

“Nealer is here?” He asked as she stepped back.

“Yeah, he got home a few hours ago. When I left him, he was unpacking. I'm making dinner later; do you want to come?”

He shook his head. “No, I shouldn't. I don't want to intrude on Nealer’s first night back.”

She laughed. “Intrude on what? It's just James. I insist you come to dinner, Pekka.”

“Well, if you insist,” he smiled at Alex.

Alex felt her insides tingle at Pekka’s smile and the timber of his voice. His tone was slightly deeper than James and she had always secretly enjoyed listening to the goalie speak, his Finnish accent rich and what could best be described in one word: delicious.

“I close in a half hour and then I have some prep work for tomorrow. I'll be back home around seven if you want to just come over.”

“Do you need any help here?” He asked. “I wouldn't mind staying to help you.”

“You don't have to do that,” Alex told him.

“But I want to,” he replied as he took a step closer to her. “I like being around you.”

“Oh,” she said, at a loss for the look Pekka gave her. “Um,” she chewed her lip nervously.

“If you tell me to leave I will. If you don't then put me to work and tell me when I can take you out for dinner.”

“You could take me to lunch tomorrow,” Alex offered shyly. “I have to be here in the morning to bake but Chrissy is coming in to close so I'll be done here around one.”

Pekka nodded. “It's a date.”

“It is?”

“I would like to take you on a date, Alex. Is that okay with you?” She nodded. “Good. Then tomorrow, I'll be here at twelve thirty and we'll go get lunch after you're done working.”

“Okay.”

“Now, what can I do to help in the meanwhile?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm in a really great mood right now so another chapter it is. :)