Sequel: Him and I

If You Could Love

Never Let My Feelings Show

Alex was laughing at something Pekka said as she turned her key and let them inside James's house. She led the way to the kitchen and Pekka followed with the bags from their grocery trip. He set them on the island in the middle of the kitchen and excused himself to use the bathroom.

“You're home,” James said happily, entering the kitchen just as Pekka exited, scooping Alex up into a hug. “I need your help.”

“Put me down, James,” she protested.

“What would be the fun in that?”

“James!” She laughed. He set her down and leaned against the counter, hooking a finger through a belt loop and tugging her towards him. She swatted at him. “I'm not going to make you dinner if you don't stop.”

He released her with a heavy, dramatic sigh and a teasing smile. “Well I don't want to starve.”

“That would be bad for your team's business.”

“True.”

He turned at the sound of footsteps and his eyebrows raised as Pekka stepped into the room and she took three giant steps away from him. “Hey, Peks. Good summer?”

“It was relaxing. You?”

“Lots of training.”

“Pekka came by the bakery while I was there so I invited him to dinner," Alex explained quickly.

“Cool,” James nodded with a tight smile. “When did you get back?” He asked the other man.

“Three days ago,” he replied. He pushed up the sleeves of his light cotton button down shirt. “What can I do to help, Alex?” He smiled and Alex pushed her hair behind her ears. James did not miss the way she looked away from him and then back with a soft, shy smile.

“Can you start making the meatballs?”

“Of course.”

“Thank you, Pekka.” She turned to James. “So, what did you do in the three hours I was gone to require my help?”

“It's nothing,” James said flatly.

“Tell me,” Alex prodded him as she grabbed a pot and filled it with water and set it on the stove.

“I, um, well...I turned my clothes pink.”

Alex snorted before bursting out in laughter. “How do you turn your clothes pink?” Pekka asked.

James rubbed the back of his neck. “Can you fix it?”

“Probably not,” Alex replied. “Show me.” She turned to Pekka. “We’ll be back in a minute.” He nodded as Alex headed out of the kitchen and James followed her just around the corner.

“What in the world possessed you to do your own laundry?” Alex asked as she stared at a basket of shirts, some previously white now a faint pink color.

“You said you would do it but I felt bad. I don't expect you to do my laundry. You're my friend, not my housekeeper. I just didn't want you to think you had to do it.”

“James...” Alex said softly, hugging him tightly. “I do your laundry because I don't mind doing your laundry. I cook and clean because I like cooking and cleaning. I don't think that you think I'm your housekeeper. You're my best friend, and I'd do pretty much anything for you, not because you're helpless, but because we’re friends.”

“I'd do anything for you, Alex,” he whispered. “Anything.”

“I know, because we’re friends,” she smiled as she kissed his cheek lightly and moved away from him to look at his clothes.

Because I love you he thought to himself but couldn't find the nerve to say out loud. Instead he just nodded before answering, “yep, because you're my BFF.”

“We can go shopping on Thursday and replace these,” she smiled.

“Why not tomorrow?”

“I have to work tomorrow.”

“All day?”

“No.”

“Then I can pick you up and we can go after you're done, get something to eat.”

“I have plans after work.”

“Oh.”

“But on Thursday Kathryn and Chrissy are running the shop so I can spend the whole day with you.”

“The whole day? Whatever will we do?” He teased, stepping closer to her, his voice dropping as a sexy glint came into his eyes.

Alex shivered at the look and stepped back from him, backing into the washer. “James, earlier...we shouldn't have. I haven't been with anyone since Cooper and we got too carried away.”

“I haven't been with anyone for just as long as you have and I don't think we got carried away.”

“You haven't?” She said with surprise.

“I haven't. I had playoffs and then I was focused on training all summer.”

“Oh. Well, it doesn't change the fact that things never end with us in a good place when we sleep together.”

He felt his anger starting to burn and as much as he knew he should bite his tongue he couldn't. “What exactly makes a good place because I was in a great place up until about five minutes ago when you brought home my goalie and we started having this conversation,” he shot back hotly.

“Don't be like that, James. We’re friends. You don't sleep with Steven so why should I be any different?”

“You’re not.” But you are.

“Then don't make this weird. I invited Pekka because he's your teammate and you're the only two guys back in town. I thought it was nice.”

“It is nice,” he relented. “Thank you for being a nice person and making me look good to my teammates.”

“You’re welcome. Do you want to chop lettuce for a salad?”

“Yeah, I'll be there in a minute.” She nodded and squeezed his shoulder as she passed him on the way back to the kitchen.

When she rounded the corner, James hung his head as he sank down to the floor. He rubbed his face in his hands and sighed, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

I screwed up.

You just got home. How could you screw up already?

I don't know how Paulie but I did.

What happened?

I came home and I don't know, it just happened.

You slept with her.

Yeah.

Did you talk first?

No. She was in front of me and my brain stopped working and I just acted.

Ok, what happened after?

She had to go to work. And then she came home and brought Peks with her.

Your goalie?

Yep.

Are they?

I don't know. But she likes him.

She said so?

She doesn't have to. It's the way she looks at him. It's how she looked at Cooper and all the others before him.

I'm sorry, James.

Yeah, me too.

I still think you need to talk to her. Maybe she feels the same way you do but doesn't think you ever would. Did you ever think about that?

She doesn't, Paul. She says we’re better friends, that we always end up mad and hating each other when we do this.

She could be lying, saving herself.

From me?

Yeah you. I don't know if you missed the memo or not but you're kind of a slut.

You think I'd break her heart.

Actually, I think you wouldn't. I think you'd be a better man than even you think possible with her. But maybe she doesn't know that. And she's not going to know that unless you say something.

I can't. Not now.

You can but you won't because you're a chicken shit.

I'm not.

You are and until you man up and talk to her, you always will be.

Why do I even talk to you?

Because I'm your friend and you need me to guide you. I'm like your patronus or some shit.

Fuck you, Paulie.

Just talk to her.


James sighed as he flipped his phone over in his hands. He stood up and slipped his phone into his pocket, pasted on a smile and walked back to the kitchen.

~*~*~


Alex knew Pekka had entered For Goodness Cakes the next afternoon because she heard Chrissy gasp and her breathing pick up as she muttered about the Greek god that had walked in. She nudged Alex. “I bet he tastes delicious. I mean, he could have me any way he wanted,” she whispered. She straightened as Pekka smiled and headed towards them.

“Hello, welcome to For Goodness Cakes. How can I help you?” Chrissy asked brightly.

“I got this one, Chrissy,” Alex said.

Chrissy shot Alex a dirty look as she stepped around the case and approached Pekka. She hugged him and he leaned down to kiss her cheek. “Pekka, this is Chrissy. We hired her this summer so you haven't met her yet.”

“It's nice to meet you, Chrissy,” Pekka smiled politely.

“Pekka is one of our long time customers. And we go back a few years,” Alex told the frowning younger girl. She was unaware that Alex's best friend played for the Predators and she wasn't about to let on now. “I'm going to head out for the day. If you need anything, call me, okay?”

“Sure thing, boss,” Chrissy answered sweetly.

Alex rolled her eyes. “I'll be right back,”she told Pekka as she slipped off her apron. He nodded and she disappeared into the back to hang up her apron and grab her purse. She caught sight of herself in a mirror in her office and she pulled her hair out of it's ponytail and shook it loose, running her hand through it. She smiled at her reflection and went back out front.

“I'll see you Friday, Chrissy,” Alex called over her shoulder as Pekka held the door open for her to pass. He took her arm and threaded it through his as they made their way down the street.

“There's a great little Italian place around the corner I thought we could go to.”

“Sounds good to me,” Alex replied.

He squeezed her hand and kept his fingers wrapped around hers as they walked.

“Pekka?”

“Yes?”

“Umm...is this really a date?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Because I've known you going on two and a half years and you’ve never been anything but kind and friendly to me.”

“I also was not single at the same times you were.”

“Oh.”

“I'm attracted to you, Alex, and I have been for awhile. I know you and Cooper broke up a few months ago but I am hoping you're over him enough to give me a shot.”

She blushed. “You could date anyone. I mean, have you seen you? Chrissy was practically drooling when you walked in.”

“Have you seen you? You're beautiful, Alex. You're kind, and smart, and funny, and did I mention beautiful? And I wanted to take you out to see if you felt the same way I did. Unless there's someone else.”

“There's not,” she answered quickly. “You're just really handsome, Pekka.”

“So I’m just eye candy for you?”

“No,” she blushed. “I also enjoy talking to you, and I've always appreciated that you've never treated me as just James's friend or some girl to randomly hook up with.”

“You know that James has made clear to every guy in our locker room that has ever passed through that you are off limits, right?”

“Of course he has.”

“He's protective of you.”

“He's my best friend.”

“That's all?”

“That's all.”

“Hmm.

“Hmm? What hmm?”

“Nothing. Forget I even hmmed. Let's talk about how you ended up in Nashville I know you're from Dallas, but I don't know what brought you here.”

“You don't want to hear that story.”

“I do actually. I want to hear all your stories?”

“That might take awhile.”

“I have all night.”

“You think this date will last that long?”

“I hope so,” Pekka answered stopping in the sidewalk and pulling her into him, bending down to capture her lips in a hot, searing kiss. Alex stood on the tips of her toes to meet him and grabbed the front of his shirt, fisting it in her hands as desire spread through her, pushing against him.

“Wow,” she breathed out when they broke apart, still holding onto his shirt. She slowly let go and smoothed the fabric over his chest.

He touched her cheek, running a finger down to cup her chin. “Do you have plans after lunch?”

“No.”

“How about a movie, and dinner later?”

“I think I could clear my schedule.”

“Good. I'm very glad to hear that.”

~*~*~


It was after midnight before Alex got home and Pekka had insisted on walking her to the door, where he kissed her again. She had closed the door behind her and leaned against it with a dreamy sigh and then a giggle to herself, dropping her keys in the bowl and bounding up the stairs. She fell into bed and as she did, her phone buzzed.

I had fun today. I enjoyed spending it with you.

I had fun today too.

So what are you doing tomorrow? I was thinking that we could maybe hang out at the Riverfront Park.

I already have plans but what about dinner? I'll cook.

What if we both cook, at my place? Six?

Six.

I’ll text you my address. I can't wait to see you.

Pekka.....

Get used to it, Alex. I like you, you like me. This is happening. Okay?

Okay.

I'll see you tomorrow.


Alex plugged her phone into it's charger on her nightstand and changed out of her clothes and into an old t shirt of James that she had stolen from him years ago. She fell back on her pillow and curled on her side under the covers, falling asleep with a smile on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
That game last night! A shut out AND two assists? Go Peks! ;)