Let Love Loose

Eight Months Earlier

“I love your hair,” a low voice speaks.

I look up from the gripping words on the page and follow the sound of the voice landing on a bearded face standing at the bookshelf two feet away from me. He cracks a wide smile at me and I can’t help but return it.

I nod, my braids shift partially covering my face, “thank you,” I softly reply.

Quickly I’m back in my book, curling further into myself as I sink deeper into the beanbag chair, my back against the space where the walls meet, this is the best corner of the library.

I don’t know if he knows that I notice him taking quick glances at me. My hair is still covering my eyes so maybe he thinks I’m staring into my book still. I wonder how long he’s been standing there and I hadn’t noticed.

His hand goes to his beard, he starts scratching at it and then he looks in my direction again, starts to say something then shuts his mouth, shakes his head and begins walking away.

I start chewing on my lip, my eyebrows knit together. I wonder what he was going to say, I watch him as he goes down and around the corner disappearing behind the bookshelf. I find myself staring after him for a couple more seconds then shake my head free of daydreams and return to my reading. My eyes quickly scan across the page, the two main characters are having a heated argument and with every word it sucks me in more.

There’s a clearing of a throat and it breaks my concentration, annoyed I shoot my eyes in the direction of the noise and am startled when I see the bearded guy is standing close, almost over me. He takes a couple faltered steps back when he notices my jumpiness and starts shaking his head.

“I didn’t mean to scare you, I’m sorry.”

He’s turning red, is he embarrassed? I’m the one who should be embarrassed, getting freaked out by students in the library. I clear my face free of braids and give a small smile.

“It’s okay, you’re good.”

He smiles again and moves his booted feet the couple steps forward again. When the silence begins it’s like the guy remembers that he’s the one that came to me so he should probably say something soon.

He extends a hand, “I’m Frank.”

I stare at his hands for a millisecond then extend my hand, “I’m Noella,” and why are we shaking hands?

“Noella,” he repeats in his husky voice.

The way he says it gives me the chills and when I shiver he drops my hand.

“That’s a beautiful name,” he continues.

I blush, if I were a lighter complexion I’m sure I’d be as red as he just was.

“Thank you.”

He runs a nervous hand through his hair, “would you like to go for dinner or to a bar sometime?”

I gnaw on my lip and my eyes enlarge, what the hell? Is this a joke? My heart rate increases, my chest tightens and I start scoping the area for the girls that enjoy tormenting me. Although! We three were best friends since we were six, now they have each other and I have myself. But what the hell, we’re in college now, in fact we’re all at the same college so they’re no better than me. We’re supposed to be adults, why are they being immature?
I slam my book shut and stuff it into my bag, zipping it up I rise to my feet in a huff.

“Ha ha, fucking hilarious.”

He has the most confused expression on his face, but I don’t care to be embarrassed and I push by him making my way to the doors.

The guy catches up to me and taps my shoulder, “hey what? What was that?”

I roll my eyes and realize that I must check this book out before trying to escape. I groan quietly, ignoring my tagalong and search my messy backpack for the book. I pull it out and place it on the desk for Ms. Roster to check out.

She smiles at me, “Noella, how are you dear?”

“I’m good,” her tone always brightens my day. Ms. Roster is the most pleasant person I know. “How are you?”

“I’m splendid honey, let’s see what you’ve got here.”

She scans my book, glances over her computer then I pass her my library card to be scanned.

“You are going to love the ending, this book is amazing,” she passes the book and card back to me.

I smile and stuff it into my bag, “I’m happy to hear that, I’m already hooked and I’m on page 52.”

Ms. Roster glances at the guy behind me and I’m reminded of the pest I have attached to me probably wanting to end this as soon as possible because those ex-best-friend bitches promised to pay him.

“You guys doing some studying?”

I huff, “no ma’am. This is Frank he had some questions he wanted to ask you.”

Her ready to help attitude springs up and she eagerly asks Frank what she can help him with. He begins stuttering, caught off guard. Stifling a giggle I tell Ms. Roster bye and leave the library.

As I’m going down the hall I hear footsteps quickly squeaking towards my direction on the laminated floor. I look over my shoulder and here comes Frank.
He takes a breath, “thanks for that. She didn’t look very happy when all I could think to ask was, where’s the bathroom.”

I raise my eyebrows at him, “smooth.”

He adjusts his jacket and clears his throat, “what’s with you? Is this how you treat every guy that wants to take you out on a date? You’re real popular huh?”
I roll my eyes again, “yeah man I’m the hottest thing on campus, didn’t you know?”

He laughs now matching my stride beside me, his laugh is warm, makes me smile.

“Seriously though, why’d you say what you did? You think I’m pranking you?”

I squint my eyes at him, “obviously. I know Lidia and Rose put you up to this, what, is your phone recording our whole conversation?”

He raises an eyebrow and without looking away from my face, pulls his phone out to show me his blank black screensaver with the time. I dart my eyes straight ahead and increase my pace, even if the girls didn’t hire him, this is equally as embarrassing.

“Paranoid much?”

I sigh and try burying myself into my jacket and hair. Dude just leave.

He continues, “Well I don’t know what you’ve got going on with these girls and I’m sorry if they tricked you with doing something like that, because that’s fucked up and I wouldn’t do anything like that to a girl. Especially one as beautiful as you.”

I smile a little and shake my head not responding.

He’s silent, I glance over to make sure he’s still here when I see he is, I go back to staring down the long hallway not dreading as much now, the long distance I have to get down this hall.

“You hurt my feelings, I thought I had bad breath or my fly was down, I know I’m not the most handsome guy.”

“Aww, no!” I laugh, how can he say that? This guy is gorgeous, it’s why I thought this was a prank. “I’m sorry I hurt your feelings.”

He makes a face as if he’s on the verge of crying, “I guess you can make it up to me by going out with me some time.”
I bite my lip to mask that I’m blushing again, I look at him again and he’s smoldering me with those golden-brown eyes.

“Okay, but only because your forgiveness matters that much.”

He chuckles, we exchange numbers, he offers me a ride home but I decline and instead of leaving me he sits at the bus stop with me until it arrives fifteen minutes later.

Damn, I think I’m already in love.