Status: Still going :)

The Mysteries of Death

The Dare

The campfire glowed a variety of colours - red and orange and yellow in an ever-changing shape, and the light from it reflected on the five girl’s eyes and clothes.

The first girl, Ferrari, had her black hair coiled into two tight pigtails that trailed over her shoulders and down her back. Her eyes twinkled in the darkness as she peered at the dancing campfire flame. It was cold, and she leaned in to the flame as her jacket flapped in the sudden wind. She traced the words on the jacket, which said: BEST FRIENDS PICK YOU UP WHEN YOU FALL DOWN. . . AFTER THEY FINISH LAUGHING. It was comfortable, and her black leggings warmed her legs as she sat on the log cross-legged.

Beside her was Ing Ing, who had a smooth ponytail which spiralled to her shoulders. Her eyes were narrowed as she stared intently at her left hand, which was clasped around four dice. Her shiny pink shirt had an orange phoenix on it and her matching leggings had flames reaching for her knees. Her coarse grey sandals thrown carelessly beside her - she was barefoot.

Across from her was Jiyoon, a girl with a striking top and a leather jacket on top of it. She wore layered jeans that were successful in warming her due to their thickness. She also had her feet encased in blue trainers that had pink shoelaces knotted on top of them in perfect bows. She sat with her elbows in her lap and her hands on her cheeks as she leaned forwards to watch the leaping flame.

Near her was Ida, who was talking to Lily. Ida had hair to her shoulders and a friendly face. Her shirt was a cool blue and had a mandala on it - she’d bought it at Mandalas™. Her pants were multicoloured as a rainbow of colour streaked them and she wore black slip-on shoes that weren’t designed for running. In her right hand she held a can of mosquito repellent and in her left a small camera that they’d already used for a selfie.

Lily, beside Ida, was easily the most recognisable with her blonde hair and her greeny-blue eyes. Her shirt read: Be you; everyone else is already taken in yellow lettering, and the background of the shirt was purple. Her skirt was black, and a flower garland of purple and yellow pansies lay immaculately on her bent head. As she listened to Ida she wrote one of her infamous stories. Her feet were unseen as closed-toe sandals hid them, easy to move around in. Next to her feet was a small tower of three notebooks and two books (Lily read and wrote swiftly).

“I’m rolling.”

Though Ing Ing’s words were spoken softly and the roar of the wind obscured them, the effect of them was immediate.

Ferrari shot into an upright position, ignoring the wily wind, Jiyoon gasped, Ida broke off in the middle of her sentence and Lily put a full stop in her notebook with a flourish.

All eyes turned to Ing Ing, who was grinning like the Chesire Cat.

The girls were playing Loyalty, where a number of dice were rolled. The players picked a number between one and six, and whatever numbers came up were the people doing the dare. The person/people whose number hadn’t come up gave the dare, and it had to be something scary, tiring or eerie, as it was to prove your loyalty to the group.
They sat in complete silence for a full minute, all lost deep in their own thoughts, then Ing Ing suddenly flung the first die down.

It spun for what seemed like a century, then rolled to a stop.

“One.” Ing Ing said the number out loud, as some of the girls couldn’t see it.

It was Jiyoon who nodded, with a grim smile. She stood, and walked to a tree to the left of the campfire and leaned against it.

“Six.” While Jiyoon had been doing that, Ing Ing had rolled the next die.

Ida joined Jiyoon with a grimace that was unlike her usual happy grin.

“Three.”

And now it was Lily who stood, her notebook in one hand as she reached for the pile of books at her feet and picked up one - Cassie Caramel’s Guide to Survival - in the other.

The last die spun slowly across the grass and Ing Ing and Ferrari looked at each other, glowering, as they watched the die slow to a stop.

“Five.” It was Ferrari who said it this time, and her shoulders tensed. Her eyes glinted as she stood as well. “You’re daring, then, Ing Ing, I suppose.” She said.

Ing Ing smiled with relish.

The girls waited as Ing Ing began.

“I dare you to hold a seance at Soo Yeon and Sabah’s grave.”

The words took seconds to sink in, and the reactions were as expected.

“Huh?” Ferrari stuttered, as if she hadn’t heard Ing Ing’s words.

“But-” Lily began, only she stopped, at a loss of what to say.

Jiyoon’s face said it all, really, as her eyebrows were raised so high they crept into her hair and her eyes bulged like a bullfrog’s, her mouth a complete O of disbelief.

“Is that even allowed?” inquired Ida.

Ing Ing glared at them cunningly. “I don’t know if it’s allowed, but I know one thing. This is Loyalty. You HAVE to do the dare. You have to. And if you don’t. . . remember our rules. . .”

And that was that. The four girls had to do it. They were powerless.

“Ready for adventure?” Jiyoon asked them.

“Adventure!”

And they set off.