Status: work-in-progress

The Family Business

Two

“So… let me get this straight,” Felicity said as she stepped out of her car and meeting me at the payphone. “You let this Dean guy take your car? Which you just so happened to leave your cell phone in?”

“I didn't let him take it… it just kinda happened, you know? I tried to chase him down, but I couldn't catch up to the car.” I shrugged.

“Why don't you just call the police to help you track it down?”

“Yeah… I don't have a license… or insurance.”

“Serenity!”

“I know, okay?! Look, I was gonna renew my insurance and license last month, but then I got crazy busy with finals and--”

“You know what? Fine. We'll go track down your phone and get your car back, but we're leaving right after we get it. Clear?”

“Crystal! You're the best and I love you.” I smiled and got into her car's passenger's seat. Felicity pulled up the tracking app I told her to download and punched in my phone number. “Follow that car!” I had always wanted to say that.

We spent most of the day driving, but we finally crossed into South Dakota and followed the GPS to a junk yard near Sioux Falls. “My car!” I jumped out when Felicity parked the car and hugged it. “Oh thank God you’re okay. Did the mean man hurt you? We’re gonna get you all fixed up.” My head snapped up as we heard knocking on a door.

“Surprise.” Dean’s voice said from far away just before someone yelled in the distance. Felicity and I looked at each other and ran towards the fight. We crouched beneath a window and peaked inside.

“Shit, he’s gonna kill him!” Felicity panicked as we watched.

“I’m not a shapeshifter!”

“Then you’re a revenant!”

“Dude, these guys are crazy.” I whispered.

“If I was either, would I do this with a silver knife?” Felicity gasped audibly as Dean slid the blade across his skin, cutting his arm.

“That is so dangerous. He could have killed himself. Or he could get an infection. Or die from the infection!” Sometimes it was irritating having a best friend studying to be a nurse.

“Dean?”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.” The two embraced for a hug.

“It’s… it’s good to see you, boy… but how did you bust out?” The older man in the trucker hat asked, looking Dean up and down.

“I don’t know…” Dean turned away from him, looking around. “I just uh, woke up in a pine box-“ Dean was cut off by water being thrown in his face, causing Felicity and I to let out a laugh at the same time. Their heads snapped towards the window we were looking in through and spotted us. “Hey!”

“Serenity, run!” I looked over at Felicity who was already running away.

“Wait for me!” I called after her and ran as fast as my legs could carry me. I heard the door open behind me and looked back to see Dean running full speed in my direction. “Shit!” I pushed harder and reached for my keys, hoping my doors were unlocked to just slide into my car. I screamed as Dean somehow managed cut me off and I slammed right into him. He effortlessly picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. “Put me down!” I beat my fists against his back as he carried me back to the house. “I know a cop!” Confession: I don’t really know a cop.

“Shut up.” Dean groaned as he kicked the door open and dropped me in a chair. “Stay.” I looked towards the open door as he walked into the other room. If I made a run for it, I could make it. As soon as I stood up, I felt a hand on my shoulder pushing me back down. “I said stay.”

The older man walked in with Felicity over his shoulder and sat her in the chair next to me. “What’s going on?” She whispered as they brought rope in.

“What are you doing?!” I yelled as they began to tie us down. “This is illegal on so many levels! We just came to get my car back that you stole!”

“That piece of crap?” Dean scoffed.

“It’s not a piece of crap… it’s just got character.” He rolled his eyes and they dragged us into the living room.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Felicity, this is my best friend Serenity. She saw you crawling out of the ground and got too curious and followed you. You stole her car, and we’re here to get it back. That’s it. I swear.” My red headed best friend explained as I nodded along.

“Bobby, get the water.” The older man, we now knew to be Bobby, nodded and grabbed a small flask of water, a silver knife, and some salt.

“That’s a lot more than water, old man.” I pointed out.

“Will you shut up?” Dean rolled his eyes and opened the flask, splashing some in our faces as Bobby made a salt circle around our chairs. When he saw the water had no effect on us, he walked up to me and pressed the knife against my skin.

“Please don’t.” I felt the panic rising in my chest as he pressed the blade against my arm. “I just want my car back. I won’t tell the police… I won’t tell anyone…” Tears formed in my eyes as he swiftly cut my arm. “Shit!” He did the same to Felicity, who stayed silent the whole time.

“Huh… okay obviously, there’s been some kind of mistake.” Bobby sighed and began to untie us.

“No shit, Sherlock!” Felicity yelled, catching me by surprise. “We came here to get my friend’s car and you tied us up and cut us with a knife!” She stood up and slapped Bobby across his face. “I should go to the police.”

“Felicity!”

“No sweetheart, it’s okay. I deserved that.” Bobby said and placed his hand on his cheek. “Look, Dean must have hotwired your car. It’ll be a few days before it’s fixed. You’re welcome to stay here… or we can get you a hotel for you to crash in.” I was almost offended. First, they tie me and my best friend up, and now he’s offering for us to stay here? What kind of backwards shit was this?

“Bobby… are you sure that’s such a good idea?” Dean asked from the other room. “I mean, we don’t know if these girls are witches. There’s not really a way to test that. Plus they could go off and call the cops.”

“Son you just came back from the dead. I think I can handle a couple of college girls. Witches or not.”

“If it helps, we’re not witches.” I butted in. “The only spells I know are from Harry Potter.”

“Who said we even would!?” I could tell Felicity was getting irritated. She was usually the calm, cool, and collected type.

“Hey look. It’s been a long day. I’m tired. I could crash here for a day or two.” I shrugged.

“You trust these people!? One guy apparently just came back from the dead, robbed a gas station, stole your car, tied us up, and cut us with a knife[i/].”

“Look Cici… I’m tired. I could just really use a nap right now.” It was the truth. And for some reason, I did trust them. Was it a mistake? Probably. Besides… what’s the worst that could happen?