Status: work-in-progress

The Family Business

Six

Serenity’s POV

A week later, Sam and Dean were still arguing about what happened between Dean and Castiel. Dean had lied about where he was and Sam was pissed, even though we lied, too… Dean explained everything that Castiel had said to him, about God having a plan for him and how he thought Dean was one of these ‘special’ people who could perceive his true self. I kept to myself that I might be one of those special people. Especially after what I saw Sam do in the diner that night. Who knows what they would do to me. And after what Felicity told me about what Dean and Bobby did to Castiel, I wasn’t going to risk it. I kept my mouth shut and helped Bobby look through books while Dean and Sam argued in the kitchen.

“There’s no way it was an angel, Sammy. It had to be a demon.”

“That can deflect salt bullets? Devils traps?!”

“And the magic knife.” Felicity added in, jumping off the kitchen counter and crossing her arms.

“Thank you!” Sam threw his hands up and pointed towards Felicity. “See? Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!”

“Don’t you think that if angels were real, some hunter, somewhere would have seen one at some point? Ever?!” Sam looked at him as if to say ‘yeah, you just did’. Dean rolled his eyes. “I’m trying to come up with a theory here! Work with me! And preferably one with a little less fairy dust on it, please.”

“I’m not saying we know for sure! I’m just saying that I think we should look into it some more and find out!”

“That’s my point!” Dean sighed. “I’m not gonna believe something is an angel of the Lord just because it says so!”

“Hey, are you guys gonna keep arguing about religion or are you gonna come look at what we just found?” I interrupted, holding back an eyeroll. The trio walked into the living room and I placed a book down in front of them. “We’ve looked through books for a week. Lore, both biblical and pre-biblical—“

“Some of it’s in damn cuneiform.” Bobby sighed, exhausted.

I nodded and turned the page to face them. “This is what I’ve found.” I cleared my throat and pointed to a page. “All of it says and Angel can grab a soul from the pit.” I smiled down at Bobby, proud of myself.

“Okay, what else?” Dean questioned.

“What else what?”

“What else could do it?”

“Save your ass from the devil himself?” Dean nodded. “Did you not just hear me? We’ve been looking for days and this is the only thing we’ve found!” I was frustrated. Was he really not paying attention? “We’ve been through every book in this damn house, Dean! And—“

“As far as we can tell, nothing.” Bobby cut me off, patting my shoulder to calm down. I crossed my arms and plopped down in the chair next to him. Sam smiled and looked at me.

“This is good news… for once this isn’t just another round of demon crap.” Sam almost seemed too happy about this news, but Dean wasn’t having it. “I mean, maybe you were saved by one of the good guys, you know?”

“Okay, say it’s true. Say there are ‘angels’. Then what? There’s a God?”

“Does it really surprise you at this point, Dean? With everything you’ve seen?” Felicity asked and took a closer look at the page.

“Look I know you’re not all about this kind of stuff, but this is becoming less and less about faith, and more and more about proof.” Sam looked to me and Bobby for some kind of backup.

“Proof? Of what, that there’s a God that gives a crap about me personally? I’m sorry, but I’m not buying it!” My heart broke a little. I was never a religious person, but I believed in God. And To think Dean doesn’t think he’s worth caring about broke my heart.

“Why not?” I stood and leaned against the desk, waiting for an answer.

“Because why me?” Everyone went silent. “If there is a God out there, why would he give a crap about me!? I mean, I’ve saved some people, okay? I figured that made up for the stealing and the ditching chicks. But why do I deserve to get saved? I’m just a regular guy.”

“You’re a regular guy that’s important to the Man upstairs.” Sam explained.

“Well, that creeps me out! I mean, I don’t like getting singled out at birthday parties, much less by… God.” Dean scoffed and rubbed his fingers against his temples.

“Well, too bad, Dean.” Sam was getting frustrated. “Because I think He wants you to strap on your party hat.”

“Well, what do we know about Angels?” Dean cleared his throat and I smirked, dropping a pile of books in front of him.

“Start reading.”

“You’re going to get me some pie.” Dean jabbed Sam in the chest before grabbing a book on top of the pile.

“Right.” Sam sighed and grabbed the car keys.

Not long after Sam left, Bobby had us packing up one of the cars around back to go and check on one of his friends a state over. “Remember what I said about you guys driving a lot?” I rolled my eyes as I tossed a duffle bag in the trunk. Dean scoffed as Sam pulled up.

“Keep the engine running. I got a hunter friend one state over, Olivia Lowry.” Bobby explained as Felicity climbed into the back of the Impala. “I’ve been trying to reach her for three days on this Angel thing. It’s not like her to ignore this many calls. We’re gonna go check on her. You guys follow me.” Sam nodded and I followed Bobby to his car.

A few hours later we pulled up to an old house and slowly walked in. “Olivia?” Bobby called out through the seemingly empty house.

“Stay here.” Sam told us as they walked around the corner. Soon after, Bobby walked out. “Salt line…”

“What’s going on?” I was anxious to walk around the corner and see what was happening. The boys were quiet as they investigated. “Guys?”

“Olivia was rocking some serious E.M.F. equipment.” Dean explained.

“So this was probably a spirit.”

“Yeah, if it was on steroids. I’ve never seen a ghost do this to a person.” Dean sighed as some metal clanked around.

“Oh my god there’s a dead body in there.” Felicity said and bent over with her hands on her knees trying to take deep breaths.

“Shouldn’t you get used to this? You’re wanting to be a nurse. In a hospital. People die all the time there.” She glared up at me. “Sorry, right. Not comforting.” Bobby walked past us with his phone in his hand. “Hey, are you alright?”

“I called some hunters nearby.” Bobby sighed and put his phone in his pocket. “They’re not answering their phones either.

“Something’s up, huh…” Sam sighed as he stood up, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Ya think?”

Over the next few days we called other hunters from different areas and checked in on them. Every one of them were laid out in their house with their hearts ripped out. It became too much for Felicity and I, so Bobby took us back to his place to try and find more information about angels. “This is getting exhausting.” I sighed and slammed another bible shut. “I’ve been through all of Bobby’s books and I can’t find anything.”

“Just keep looking. There’s gotta be something.” Sam sighed over the phone. “We’ve gotta figure out what’s happening and Dean is still refusing to believe it’s an angel.”

“He’s gonna have to put on his big boy pants and learn to deal with it. I get that he doesn’t understand what’s going on or why God would choose him, but obviously there was a reason.” I took him off speaker phone and held the phone to my ear. “We just… have to find out what that reason is.”

“That won’t be good enough for Dean. He needs a logical explanation for everything, and Angels aren’t logical.” I could almost picture Sam running his hands through his hair out of frustration, and I did the same.

“We’ll find something, Sam.” I promised and looked over at Felicity sleeping on the couch with her headphones in and three books open on the floor. “But for now, I’m gonna turn in for the night. I’ll keep trying in the morning.”

“Alright. Sweet dreams, Ser. We’re on the way. We should be there in the morning.”

“You, too. See you in the morning.” I smiled and hung up the phone before shaking my best friend awake. “Hey, take the bed tonight. I’ll take the couch.” She nodded and dragged herself off the couch and slowly walked back to the guest room Bobby set up for us. We were so close to figuring this out. I could almost feel it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Three things.
1) I AM SO SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO UPDATE PLEASE DON'T HATE ME. School and life and work got in the way and I just haven't had the time I'm so so sorry.
2) I have to kind of differ from the show. I tried writing right along with it and getting it as close to the show as possible, but in order for the story to go on as it needs to for everything to go the way I'm planning, I have to wander away from exacts of the show.
3) I really enjoy writing in Serenity's point of view, so from now on, most of the story is going to be from her viewpoint. I will still write in Felicity's point of view, but it won't be as often as it has been.

Thank you so much for sticking with me so far guys! I hope you enjoy this chapter! I'm sorry it's so short.

x