Sequel: A Life Again

A Life Cycle Reborn

A Routine

I am the first to wake. I quietly roll out of bed, wash and go down to start breakfast for my sisters. Before long, I hear the light footsteps of Saydira descending the spiral stairs followed by Ashlea.

Ashlea rubs her eyes. Her hair is as dark as the night; she hasn't been awake for long. "What are you making?"

I smile; for once, I am not the sleepy head, "Fresh fruit with cocoa."

"Oh, you have read my mind, cocoa." When Ashlea says cocoa, she drags out the word cocoa so that it sounds more like coooooccoooooaa! She smiles sleepily. I bring the food over to the table and sit down with my sisters; Ashlea asks, "So what is the plan for today?"

Saydira ponders aloud, "Well we can hit up the forest today and look for fruits and nuts, Mom is selling the two fish, that we didn't eat last night, and she is also displaying the five pearls later this morning."

Ashlea nods, "Sounds like a plan. Not sure about you guys, but a day of swimming really tires me out; this will be a bit of a break if we decide to go to the forest today."

I speak up, "I don't mind, the forest seems like a good plan, my body could use a bit of a break." We all agree on the forest. Fortunately, our lunch and tools from yesterday are still packed, and before long, we are off to the woods for gathering. An hour, or so later at the house, Mom wakes after we have been gone.

She is a beautiful woman and even though she is older than we are, here on Airus, the body ages differently and she doesn't look it. Her skin is just as ours, and her eyes capture the most vibrant of colors that reflect in her long gorgeous silky hair. The only thing that really sets her apart from my sisters and I is that she keeps her hair much longer than ours, down passed her waist, and I think it is simply because she can. She works almost every day at the storefront, but because her job doesn't require a very high activity level as my sisters and I, she can manage to keep her hair long.

Mom is just setting up her storefront, which is about a ten-minute walk from our home and it is on an ocean front boardwalk, where other vendors also set their shops. She displays the five pearls. She writes on the display board that she has fish for sale. It is another beautiful day and she suspects that all the pearls in her display will sell today. She just has that knowing feeling.

The morning soon turns into the afternoon. The fish are sold, and only the five pearls remain. It has been disappointing. She had some who were curious but it ended in them continuing along the boardwalk. It is now the late afternoon and mom is contemplating on closing up, but immediately puts that thought to rest as three women walk up to look at the pearls. They are dressed in brightly colored sundresses, blue, orange and yellow with gold bangles and uniquely designed earrings. Each woman is wearing a different design, but they all seem to be coordinated. They gaze down at the display to view the five pearls, all with yearning expressions, which tell her, that she has buyers.

One of the women whispers with a noticeable accent, "Oh these are beautiful." The way that she articulates her words, sounds like song. Her voice is like velvet.

Another one says to the other two, "I don't think I have seen such pearls. These would be ideal for your collection."

My mom, Nafeeza waits behind the display. She isn't interrupting; instead, she is carefully letting them admire the pearls. Nafeeza quietly asks, "Would you like to touch them?"

The one in the blue dress smiles and says, "Yes please."

Nafeeza takes them out of the display and onto the counter.

The one in orange says, "Oh these are exquisite. Where did you acquire them?"

Nafeeza answers, "These were found in a reef just off the North Shore."

The one in yellow, surprised says, "Oh these were grown in the wild?"

Smiling, Nafeeza answers, "Yes"

The woman in blue says, "I really like these, what would be a fair price for them?"

Nafeeza is used to bargaining on goods, but a fair price for such rare finds; she isn't sure where to begin. She answers the woman in blue, "You have a good eye, these are rather rare finds, and we can do a couple of things, a trade, or cash. I suppose if it was money alone, I would feel that two-hundred kiros would be fair per pearl, that price would include setting the pearl in a jewelry piece that I have on hand of your choice, but I am also interested in a trade." The woman in blue is listening to Nafeeza as she proceeds with her proposal. Nafeeza continues, "Your clothing, the fabric is so vibrant in color and looks to be of a high quality, and I know that what you are wearing is not something that is readily available. Are you a dress maker; are you in the clothing trade?"

The one in blue smiles and replies, "You are kind and also have a good eye," she smiles, "this is Ashanthian silk. I am not a dressmaker, but I do employ tailors to clothe me as well as my servants. I can have my tailor see to you if you wish for clothing?" Nafeeza realizes whom she is speaking to, and her excitement of selling the pearls to these women quickly fades and becomes a nervous fear, however she manages to conceal her fear.

The young princess of Thresolon is the daughter of King Wolfrim who rules this area, which also includes the middle continent. She is right here, right now, and Nafeeza knows that this could be the end to life with her daughters.

"I am sorry Princess. I didn't realize who you were. You are so kind to offer a tailor to make me a dress, but what I am interested in is a trade for the fabric that you use." If a tailor is included in this negotiation and as a result brought into her home it will surly raise the odds that her daughters will become known to these visitors and will likely be called upon to serve.

The princess is pondering her proposal and with some resolution to her demeanor she suggests, "I want all five pearls, divided into three necklaces. I want three pearls incorporated into one, and the two remaining pearls are to be set on individual necklaces for these women who you see with me. I will give you one-hundred kiros per pearl and for three settings, and I will do a trade of Ashanthian silk, enough silk to make three dresses, and I insist that my tailor sees to you for a proper dressing."

Nafeeza smiles, she can't refuse the princess of her kind offer. It could be viewed as an insult. Nafeeza accepts. "My princess we have a trade. Thank you so much, you are so generous." Nafeeza touches Princess Rosaleen's hand and bows here head to her.

The women continue to chat and work out the details of their trade with the decisions of the settings for the pearls. The princess's tailor will see her tomorrow to take her measurements and also to pay the five-hundred kiros and accept the finished jewelry on the Princess's behalf. By the end of the day, the tailor will deliver the remainder of the payment being the three finished dresses.

Towards the late afternoon, my sisters and I are now on our way home from a day of gathering in the woods. We actually didn't meet any other gatherers, which is a little out of the norm, considering that we weren't too far from home. Ashlea and I are leading the way, side by side along the dirt path, and Saydira is trailing not far behind.

"Do you think Mom sold the pearls?" Ashlea asks me.

"Um, I am not sure. I am not even sure what she would ask for them; let alone how much interest they would receive since they are nothing more, but fancy trinkets."

"Taylan, fancy trinkets, you should talk? Hey how does that pearl feel around your neck?" Ashlea teases.

I laugh, "It feels quite nice actually. I never said that I didn't love trinkets." I wink at her.

We enter our home. Mom is already in the kitchen cooking dinner. The table is set, and she is putting the final dishes out so that we can all sit down and eat. There is a spring in her step. Her hair is shining in a warm brown shade and flowing like ribbon behind her as she moves about.

Ashlea concludes, "You sold the pearls, didn't you."

Mom smiles, "Of course"

I ask, "All of them?" Mom nods and smiles.

We all sit down and eat. Saydira asks what we are all wondering, what the price was and who the buyers were. Mom shares all the details.

Ashlea is blown away, "How exciting, a Princess, and you get to have a few dresses made for you with the same fabric that a princess wears! Mom you are so lucky! I can't believe it."

Mom is beaming from ear to ear. The trade was good. The kiros will go a long way, not that we were starving for kiros, we have made a comfortable life for ourselves. It is just great to have that extra breathing room and the dresses, what a treat for all her work.

Saydira sort of asks and suggests, "So the tailor is to see you tomorrow. We should leave while the visitor is with you. I was thinking that we have gathered food for the last two days, the berries and nuts today and the fish the day before, perhaps we should head back to the forest and collect some wood. That will keep us busy for the morning, and we can take the afternoon off to relax. We will make sure to stay away from home until the evening."

"That would be best."

We know what could happen if we are seen by the Princess's servants.