Status: I will be publishing this book for sale. These chapters are only previews to give you a free looksie. Chapters will be posted once a week on Fridays.

Better Safe Than Sorry

Ace (Chapter 2)

It was a silent morning. I had the house to myself and I was actually getting to do my hobby: carving wood with one of my many knives. For once, I had some time alone. Than as if I jinxed myself, a knock came upon the front door. I paused and took a deep breath. Maybe if I ignored them they will go away. Or at least that’s what I hope. I go back to carving only for another knock to ruin my progress.

I groaned. Couldn’t people take a hint? Another knock got me to glare at the door before yelling “I’m coming! Hold your horses! Keep your pants!” I put my creation down on the small end table near me before jumping from my chair and peeped out the peep hole to see who had decided to interrupt my peaceful day.

It was none other than Linda’s mom, Sandra, standing at the door smoking a cigarette with Linda’s two girls, Izzy and Jess. I opened the door a crack and she flashed me a smile. “Hey Ace. Can I possibly get some help from you? Linda left her two girls with me.”

“Again?” She shrugged which earned a sigh from me before standing to the side to allow her and the kids in the home. The girls quickly ran to the couch and climbed on it to watch the mute television. I picked up the remote and turned to a cartoon after un-muting the sound. Sandra walked in the next room, the dining room, and took a big puff before puffing it out. I followed her in the room and sat at the table with her. “I’ve been waiting for her for three days now. She hasn’t showed. I tried to call her, but her phone has been disconnected. I went to her home which was a crime scene so I didn’t even stop. I just kept driving. I think she’s done something real bad and is on the run.”

I looked at the table quietly. Sandra knew I would do anything to help the girls out. They didn’t exactly have an easy childhood. “I’d be glad to help you, Sandra. I’m sorry she’s abandoned the girls but maybe she’ll be back.”

Sandra shook her head and pulled a paper from her purse. She unfolded it to reveal it was indeed a newspaper before sliding it across the table to me. “No I think she’s gone for good until everything cools off. If it ever does.” Confusion fell on my face as I picked up the newspaper than looked at it. I quickly understood what she meant.

Headliner read in capital letters: girlfriend and mother Linda Anderson suspect in homicide. I further read the first line stating that the father of her children was shot. I looked up at her. “Do you really think that Linda could have done this to him? I mean I know she’s a tough girl and she’d do anything to defend herself, but killing is always a last resort for her and she would try to avoid it all cost.”

“It’s the only explanation why she abandoned her kids with me without telling me she planned on leaving.” Sandra shook her head before putting her cigarette out in the ash tray. “Either way she is a girl who knows how to get out of trouble.”

I looked at her than back at the paper in my hands before sighing. “Well I’ll help you with the girls, but you have to try to track your daughter down.”

She nodded. “Yeah, yeah. Of course. Well I guess we’ll get going. Just let me use the bathroom real quick.”

“Alright that’s fine. I’m going to make the girls sandwiches to go.” Sandra nodded and got up from the dinning table and disappear into the bathroom. I got up and grabbed some spare sippy cups from the cupboard I had for when they use to come over all the time. I poured juices in each one before going over to the girls. I squatted in front of them and gave them each a cup. They smiled and took them from my hands than gulped down their beverages. “Are you hungry?”

They both put their sippy cups down. Jess nodded. “Hungry,” she said hugging her stuffed animal.

“Me too,” said Izzy. I nodded and went into the kitchen as they continued watching their show. I made their sandwiches. I couldn’t believe that Linda could leave these two. Did she really kill her baby daddy? Why would she kill him? Even if so, I still can’t believe she left her kids. I guess she made her bed either way. She chose to go rogue and now she has to be under cover. I looked at the bathroom door and noticed it was taking Sandra an awful long time.

I decided to let the girls gone ahead and start eating since Sandra was still in the bathroom. After I gave them their sandwiches, I went and knock on the bathroom door. No answer so I knocked again. Silence. “Sandra are you okay?” Still no answer. I placed my hand on the doorknob and froze for a second taking a deep breath. “Please lord don’t let me see something I will regret,” I whispered. I quickly opened the door and, to my disbelief, she was gone. I groaned angrily. How could she do the same thing her daughter did to her to me? Dumb question. Because mother like daughter of course. Just worse. I went back into the living room and picked up Jess. “Come on Izzy. We are going over your grandmother’s. You can eat in the car.” Izzy slid off the couch than grabbed her sandwich and followed close behind me.

After securing the girls in the backseat as securely as possible since I didn’t have car seats, I got into the car and drove to the home. “Stay here you two. I’ll be right back.” I closed the driver door and walked up the to the house. I pounded on the door yelling, “open the god damn door Sandra! You can’t just abandon these two girls too! Their mother already left! You can’t too! This is your second chance to make raising children right!” I gave her a few seconds but she didn’t respond. I pounded again. “You can’t hide Sandra! I have a fucking key to your god damn door!” Still no response.

I took my keys out and looked for the key to Sandra’s house. I opened the door and to no surprise it was such a mess as usual. Trash was everywhere. I sighed and walked to her room. She had pulled a fast on me and planned ahead. It looked like she had left town. Her drawers were left open. Her closet was open. She must have planned ahead and had her bags already packed ad in the car so she could get a fast head start.

I sighed and went back out and got into the car. “Where’s grandma,” Izzy asked as I put my seatbelt on.

I looked in the mirror at her. “She went on a vacation sweetheart. You’re going to stay with me.” I started the car and started driving back home as I tried to think of what to do next. I guess the only thing to do was to ask my neighbor for help.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I didn't post this yesterday. Had alot going on. Here's chapter two. Hope you like it. What do you think about Grandma and the mom, Linda.