Status: In Progress

Sorbet Best Served Warm

Fated Encounter

"I sincerely doubt so," I replied wryly.

And I regretted immediately after. The girl froze. Wait...can she hear me? impossible. Whatever. It is high time I slip away. I have no lucrative business here.

"Did you...could you..." her shaky voice escaped through those thin lips.

"meow?" I tried with a wince.

Did it work? I guess not.

The girl had collapsed against the wall and slid down to the ground unconsciously. Feeling that obligation and guilt, I leaped down from the wall and approached her cautiously. Pressing a paw on her human artery, I waited.

"That's too bad. You are still all alive," i heaved a dramatic sigh in no particular presence. "Looks like you are going o put my apartment in good use. You owe me one for calling a troublesome guy."

It was a hectic process of transporting a live person unseen. Body bags were not appropriate for living humans, according to Kaer. Personally, it would have saved us lots of time.

"She heard you?" Kaer's ears perked in excitement at his rhetorical question. "That's quite something. I wish I was there."

"No. I did not mean it's certain. I could be confused too. The rain got into my ears," I flicked my tail in annoyance.

"Oh push off! She would not have passed out in shock if not for that magical moment!"

"She was exhausted. The missing child's case might have taken a huge toll on her health. Not to mention some half-baked detectives snooping at the wrong places," I spoke up in a slight shrill, hoping confidence would reassure my secret was not exposed.

Kaer's suggestive grin was killing my mood.

"I'm heading out, Boss. I have one more assignment," and I turned to the fire escape adder outside the window.

"Oh, Deo! that can wait. You must attend to this poor sick girl. I should be the one leaving. I'm an uninvited guest," he teased and snorted in amusement.

"Hush there! She might wake!"