Status: In Progress

Sorbet Best Served Warm

When the Girl meets the Cat

Over the next few days, I would often catch the same cat lurking nearby. It wasn't hard to distinguish it from the other cats in the neighbourhood. Its coloring was rare yet fascinating (for a cat, that is). Ever since it appeared at the nursery, it had been loitering around in this neighbourhood more frequently. So one day, I decided to approach it.

"Do you like it here so much?" I halted my bicycle beside it. It gave me a lazy glare which lasted for a short moment before returning its gaze to the path in front. I smiled. "Do you not have an owner?"

The cat ignored my questions (of course) and walked on proudly on its four legs. Smiling, I looked into the basket attached to the front of my bicycle. I was in the midst of my regular morning part-time job of delivering fresh milks and just so remembered I would have an extra bottle to spare.

I got off my bicycle and reached for a cookie jar inside my bag. After taking the jar cover off, I approached the cat cautiously. It sensed my movements and moved away from me.

"Hush hush," I assured it in a gentle tone. "I wouldn't hurt you."

I poured the milk onto the jar cover and slid it towards the cat. The cat looked at the treat before looking up at me suspiciously. Its reaction so cute I couldn't help but chuckled a little.

"It's my reward for the job. I'm just sharing with you there, buddy. It's fresh I can assure you," I winked and walked back to my bicycle.

"See you around," I smiled at the cat before taking off.