Status: In Progress

Sorbet Best Served Warm

Don't Close Your Eyes

“Strange. To see you lurking in one place for a long time. I had ahard time finding you, Deo.”
The orange fur animal perked up at the last words to see who had come to interrupt his overly comfortable afternoon nap. He sank with a apparent disappointment into his tight fur ball curl at his first glance of the ‘intruder’’s empty hands.

“Oh, it is just you, Mr Kaer,” the cat spoke lazily. “if it’s not a job, I’m not interested.”

Mr "Kaer" Dwygion stood tall and lanky at five feet seven and a brilliant set of glistening eyes which reminded Deo of the Daffodils he used to lie on in a long past. His fair, slim face was framed by grey blond hairlines which shone translucently in the afternoon sun. And it was always plastered with a small, discerning smile. His full name and background were still unsolvable mysteries to even his closest aide, Deo.

“Now, now, Deo. I was concerned about your welfare. I am your guardian after all.”
“I am seventeen by the coming week. Leave me alone unless it’s business-related. Now, I am full from a nice warm glass of milk. No sorbets, no closers,” Deo snapped.

Dee raised his right arm in a bend with expectations. “How about the new dessert store downtown? And you can tell me all about this new lady friend who enraptured my precious boy recently.”
With a haughty flick of tail, Deo stood up taller on the ledge above Dee.

“I am not enraptured by a human girl. She is just different. She knows beauty when she sees one. She actually sees the fine cat in me!” Deo began to get excited as he jumped of the ledge, onto Dee before hoping to the ground. “She could see me as me! And she is no pesky kid!”
Kaer's laughter rippled through the quiet afternoon like wind chimes in the breeze. Deo paid no heed as he was used to it and continued rambling on towards the store.

“So, it seems you have found a new home. I guess my proposal belongs to the trash bin now,” kaer spoke with a heavy heart and sat the sundae spoon purposefully on the glass table many sorbet scoops later.

Deo, who was rolling around with a huge tummy, immediately sat up (not without much difficulty and almost throwing up).

“What! You were actually helping me? Why did you not mentioned earlier! Did you know how much rain and cold nights I had to endure till today!” Deo yelped indignantly.
Kaer looked down at his hands in mock humility. “You know I fear promising something I cannot do.”
Deo growled wth bare teeth. “Don’t you dare show that fake expression. I accidentally discovered your full assets the other day! You owned an enterprise, man! And I am still struggling to understand the King’s ransom for meager messenger like me.”
“Trust me when I say a messenger’s work can be the least rewarding job in terms of compensation,” Kaer smiled wryly. “Which reminds me – this is your new hose deed. Of course, I can take it back if you need it no more. It’s just missing a blank for your name.”

Deo huffed and sank back into a drunken stupor. “I will not take refunds,” he said between burps. “So much pay for sending just letters and stealing items.”

“It’s not ‘stealing’, boy. It’s taking back what does not belong to them.”

“it’s the same thing. And for the last time, I am a cat! You adopted a cat not a boy. I cannot be bothered with human habits.”

Kaer grinned mischievously. “I am beginning to worry who adopted you now. Me or the nice kindergarten teacher?”

Deo rolled over immediately and with a cat’s graceful gait and high tail, he swept out of the parlor without a backward glance. His legs took him unconsciously back to the nursery as he watched in the distance as the staff prepared to send the last child off and close the school for the night.
Just a few blocks behind, a lone child was walking home alone, her eyes glued to the screen of the tablet her mother gave her on her birthday. It was pre-loaded with kids-friendly game. A rainbow icon popped on the screen with a winking bird eye picture. The intrigued child pressed her chubby finger and began following a series of huge stuffed animals in a new game. She was an attentive player and lost focus as she crossed the road out of earshot of any habitable buildings. The next day, gossips and news reporters flooded the otherwise peaceful and sleepy suburban town. The elementary school had announced a day off and the police swarmed the nursery. This sudden attention on a quiet town was unbeknownst to the feline messenger who was away on property viewing.