Status: In Progress

Sorbet Best Served Warm

Take a Stroll in Twilight

Deo’s ears twitched at the sound of vibrations. Lazily did he raise his head from the floor as he followed the source of disturbance. A tiny collar was on the coffee table so he stood on two legs to angrily pawed at it for disturbing his twilight dreams. A holographic screen flashed a new message from Kaer.

“Really, boss? The moon is still waning,” Deo grumbled as he stepped into a messy pile of black cloths. Night jobs calls for stealth and his orange fur stood out.

He pushed the window slider upwards and slip into the emergency staircase of the quiet new apartment building. With light footwork, he looked like a black cat jumping over the crescent moon as he leaped block to block. It was the usual dark alley pick up parcel with no clients involved and then the location would be to one of Kaer’s many warehouses. The package was unusually heavy this time but Deo had been conditioned to think naught of its contents. His only mission was to tuck the parcel safely in the bottom cabinet of his Boss’ mini office. On his way back, Deo dropped by his favorite 24-hour convenience store with the usual sleepy owner and grabbed the Deer Sorbet Suave Kiss Strawberry; Cheap reward for an odd hour labor.

Deo pranced homebound but took a detour to finish the melting heavenly goodie. “A new route everyday” - his personal motto to stay tip top in his trade. That night was different – he dropped the peachy stick before licking its last bit. His new route had led him through a half opened window of a familiar girl.

“Oops.”

Deo was about to get out of what-could-be-a-misunderstanding-situation when he heard a sniffle. Reluctantly, he cast a wary eye at the scene. The kindergarten school teacher had a tear rolling down her smooth pale cheek. Deo cautiously crossed the room to check on her breathing. She was asleep.

“Poor girl,” he whispered as he raised a paw to wipe her tears. “What could be hurting you so badly?”

Suddenly, he took a leap back and almost scratched himself. What am I doing? I need to get out of ere! No human contact!

He fled through the windows and yelped as he landed painfully on uneven grounds. He took off without a second glance. Upon reaching his house door safely, he heaved a huge sigh of relief. He was finally breathing normally.

“Could it be…”he pondered on is recent encounters. “I should watch her tomorrow.”

The next day, he dutifully perched on the school's walls again, scanning the clearing of the crime scene as the last police car pulled away.