Home Library

Hmm

The air inside the home library was warm, but pleasantly so. It smelled of firewood and old books, a smell the dark haired man found comforting in an intimate kind of way. His coltish, well built body was fitted to the cozy chair he sat in, a book perched in his rough artist’s hands. It was always such an easy thing for him to become lost in a book, no longer a part of the world that truly owned him. This very fact is why he ceased to notice he was no longer in the room alone.

After another hour of reading his eyes were beginning to become heavy with sleep, and so he decided to give them a break from the world he enjoyed so much. That’s when he notices her, luxuriously sprawled out on the rug in front of the fireplace across the dimly lit room; her legs crossed behind her in the air and a green covered book in her small feminine hands. Her silky hair was tied messily atop her head, a few strands resting gracefully on her relaxed eyebrows. Her freckle covered nose was scrunched as if confused by the happening of the book, her moon soaked blue eyes wide with curiosity. The man knew without a doubt that the picture before him would be etched into his mind for the rest of his life. She was the definition of beauty, the pure image of his perfection.

“You’re so alluring.” He says, admiration notable in his gruff voice. She looked up, startled. A fine blush lit her cheeks, though whether it was from his words or the warmth of the fire, he wasn’t sure. “If you say so.” She says, blinking her doe like eyes at him. He didn’t understand why she couldn’t see her own beauty. How could she look in the mirror and not see what he saw? How could she not realize just how intensely charming she was? He found it heartbreaking.

He set his book down on the chair arm, walking over to her and offering his hand. She glanced at it, an inquisitive look about her face. “Come. I want to show you something.” His voice is softer now. Cautiously, she takes his hand and allows him to pull her up. He turns her so that her back is against his chest, covering her eyes with his hands. “What are you doing?” She asks. He can feel a playful little smile on her lips beneath his hands. He doesn’t answer, instead simply leading her to the small library bathroom.

The bathroom was brightly lit and had a drastically different feel than the library itself. A room that had been added to the decade old library only a few months back, it smelt of cleaning product and mouthwash, a smell that was somewhat unsettling. A cold draft sweeps through the bathroom from the open window placed above the bathtub. The walls of the bathroom were a clean white, the floors tiled in two shades of blue. Above the old Victorian sink is a blue medicine cabinet, and against the wall across from that was a large brown framed body mirror. This is where he positions her, right in front of the mirror. He can see her warm smile now, see the sweet dimples in her cheeks. Her curvy body fit so perfectly against his, the mirror clearly conveying that. With one last look at the two of them, he removes his hands and places them on her soft shoulders.

Slowly, her smile fades, dies and leaves no trace behind. His heart pangs with sadness, hating he could almost see the sinister beast of self-hatred in her eyes, clouding her mind and judgement with turmoil. “Now look. Really look at yourself, Tess. Do you not see the strength and integrity in your eyes? Do you not see the softness of your lips, the ones that speak such genuine, sweet words. How do you not see your own beauty?” A single tear escapes her sparkling eyes. “You are so beautiful Tess, so unbelievably gorgeous inside and out. It kills me that you cannot see it. That you truly don’t know. What can I do to prove this to you?” She turns then, sort of falling into his arms, her face finding the crook of his neck like it always does. “I’m so sorry.” She mumbles through tears. “Don’t be. Never be sorry. I love you.” He kisses the top of her head, deciding that there was not going to be another day for the rest of his life that he wouldn’t remind her of her beauty. She would realize how perfect she was someday, even if it killed him.