Status: Complete ♥

There Was a House

1/1

There's a house on a street with four walls and a roof, which holds many happy memories for its residents. Memories of cooking and reading, of doing jigsaw puzzles by the fire with music playing from the old CD player in the background.

Memories of before devastation struck, back when the days were filled with laughter and the nights were spent in a peaceful stillness. Then things changed and the house seemed to change too, but those memories shone brightly above the bad. Even as she got worse... even when she couldn't remember the people that loved her, those memories kept them strong and reminded them that things had once been different.

In the house, there was a young girl, who loved spending time with her best friend and had learned a great deal from a woman that she adored. That woman was her nan and she thought that their bond was unbreakable, until she too was forgotten like the others.

It hurt, watching as he nan deteriorated and became a shell of the woman she had been. Her grand-daughter didn't turn her back though, she stayed strong in front of her best friend and showed her every time she saw her that she was loved. Her nan didn't remember the memories they had shared, she didn't know who the people were around her and that alone must have been terrifying. Waking up each morning to a bunch of strangers and not understanding what was happening or where she was.

Then the phone call came, her nan had been admitted to the hospital and it wasn't looking good. The young girl visited, she held the old ladies hand and smiled even though she was crumbling inside. She was on her way to visit again, when she received the call to say that her nan had passed away and in that moment the girl's world fell apart around her. She didn't cry though... not as she hugged her family, not even as she gave her nan one final kiss and held the hand that had been a lifeline many times in her life.

She held it together, when her granddad spoke about funeral arrangements and asked to leave. In the car on the way home, she thinks back to those happy memories... but this time they don't outshine the darkness and the young girl finally breaks.

Now, that house will belong to someone new and will soon be filled with memories of their own. The house was not just a house to that young girl, it was everything she had left of her nan and saying goodbye to it felt like she was losing her nan all over again. The pain runs deep and her heart breaks for the loss of something so important, but somehow those memories will remain with her... somehow she will preserve them within her thoughts for the remainder of her life and she knows that her nan will never truly be gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Needed to vent...