Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Fifteen

With both rooms in a near-ruined state, they spent the day on the couch. Neither one of them knew what to say to the other and the day was rainy. They watched t.v. until Annie fell asleep with her head on his shoulder. He lifted his arm and wrapped it around her shoulder, fighting exhaustion.

Once he was sure she was asleep, he laid her back on the couch and stood carefully so as not to wake her.

The last thing he wanted to do was sleep. His night terrors just seemed to be getting worse and he knew that she was right. He would likely kill her the next time.

Once he'd cleaned the rooms he'd nearly destroyed, he found a sheet of paper and jotted down a note, leaving it on the dinner table. He grabbed his book bag, threw on his jacket and with a glance at her, left.

OoOoOo

Annie woke to someone knocking urgently on the door. She opened her eyes, discombobulated. The knocking was persistent.

"April? April open up, it's Edna!"

Annie sighed and stood, steadying herself as she struggled with the locks on the door. She shielded her eyes from the glare of the setting sun. "Hi Edna, everything ok?" She asked.

Edna pushed her way inside, closing the door behind her. "Let me see."

Annie suddenly felt foolish and tried to walk away. "It's nothing big."

"The hell it isn't. Turn around." Edna demanded.

Annie, head lowered, turned. Edna tilted her chin upwards for inspection. "Has he done this before?"

"It's his PTSD."

"April-"

Annie shook her head. "Edna, I know what this looks like, but Bu- James, he isn't present when this happens. His eyes are...blank, like he doesn't know me. And he's so remorseful after...how did you know what happened?"

"He called us and told us what happened."

Annie's brow furrowed and she walked back to his bedroom. It was clean and empty, the drawers had been emptied of his few clothes. "James?" She walked back into the kitchen. "Was the motorcycle here?"

Edna sat down at the dinner table. "He's gone."

"What are you talking about?"

Edna handed her the note. "He called you Annie?"

Annie glanced at her. "He calls me that after Apple Annie...Pocket Full of Miracles is one of my favorite movies..." She replied, reading the letter.

'Annie, I can't find the words to tell you how sorry I were the only good thing in my last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt you. The only way you'll be safe is if I'm gone. Edna and John are good people and I know they'll help you. Stay with them for a while, I know you hate being alone. Don't ever forget me, because I know I'll never forget you.'

Her eyes filled with tears and she crumpled up the letter. "What the hell..." She whispered.

"He wants you to stay with us and I think it's a good idea. I don't know what went on between you two, but being alone right now isn't good. John and I will be happy to have you stay with us for a while."

Annie wiped her eyes. "I'll be alright, Edna. I feel like I need to be alone for a while."

"You can come stay with me or I'm going to stay here. I am your landlord, by the way."

OoOoOo

The next several days were difficult for Annie. Edna had left no room for argument when she told Annie to stay with her and John.

The first three days she spent in her room, dividing her time between sleeping and crying. She ate only because Edna practically force fed her.

On the fourth day, Edna drug her out the door to go to the grocery store, citing the need for a second set of eyes to read the ingredients label.

The fifth day she helped John in the yard, making small talk. She was grateful they were trying everything they could to distract her. But every night she lay staring at the ceiling, trying to figure out what to do.

On the morning of the fifteenth day, Annie sat on the front porch watching the horizon change from blue to orange with the impending sunrise. The morning was particularly cool, so Annie was glad when Edna walked out with two cups of coffee.

She pulled the sleeves of her oversized sweater over her hands, wiping her cheeks quickly.

"Oh sweetheart..."

Annie sniffled and forced a tight lipped smile, accepting the hot cup. "I just don't know what to do...James had all the answers. He was the one I looked to for...everything. I don't know what I'm going to do."

"You're going to live. I think that maybe he just needs to get away for a bit. He hurt you but you say he didn't mean it." Edna sipped her coffee. "And I believe you. That boy loves you. I can tell because of the way he looks at you when you're not looking."

Annie stared into her coffee cup. "And what look is that?" She asked quietly.

"It's the same look that I still get from John after all these years. I see it in James' eyes every time he looks at you."

Annie squeezed her eyes shut, fighting back more tears. "Thank you Edna."

Edna nodded and sipped her coffee. They both sat in silence, watching the sun rise high into the sky until John walked out with the newspaper.

"Mornin' ladies." He said, sitting down next to Edna and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

OoOoOo

Annie was laying in bed that evening when Edna knocked on the door and poked her head inside.

"Sweetheart we're going down to the festival, do you want to go?"

Annie rolled over and shook her head. "No thanks. You guys go ahead."

"I think it would do you some good to get out." Edna gave Annie a moment to respond but when she didn't, she sighed. "Alright. If you change your mind, I picked you up a mask when I was at the store earlier. You can call John's cellular and we'll come get you."

"Thanks Edna. Good luck with your pie." She replied as Edna shut the door.

She rolled onto her back and tried to fall asleep. After tossing and turning for nearly an hour, she finally pushed herself up out of bed.

She knew Edna and John were trying to help, she figured she could at least show some gratitude. She changed into a pair of dark blue skinny jeans with a burgundy tank top and dark navy cardigan. She pulled on her brown knee high riding boots, wrapped her scarf around her neck and grabbed the mask before stepping outside.

The sun had set, leaving the sky a mix of orange and purple and the air crisp, cool enough that she could see her own breath. The town was only a mile or two down the road, she saw no sense in calling John to come pick her up.

By the time she reached the town square, the festivities were in full swing. There were carnival games, several carnival rides, food and drink booths, merchandise booths and directly in the center of it all, a large dance floor that had been erected around the fountain.

Children ran around in their Halloween costumes, going from booth to booth collecting candy. Teenage boys played the carnival games trying to show each other up or win prizes for the girls that giggled as they watched.

Annie smiled to herself under the mask. It reminded her of when she was in high school. There was nothing more fun than running around at festivals with your girlfriends, giggling and laughing, trying to catch the eye of one of the school's football players.

She walked around, looking at all of the crafts and baubles that the locals were selling. Eventually her wandering brought her directly to the pie booth were Edna sat in her green and black chiffon witch's hat next to an older woman with her hair in tight blonde curls and a crown atop her head.

Annie lifted her mask and Edna smiled. "April! I'm so glad you came! Betty, this is the young lady I was telling you about."

"Oh the one with the violin? I do love the violin. You'll have to play for us some time! Edna has talked so much about your talent." Betty exclaimed, shaking her hand.

Annie smiled. "Thank you so much, Edna and John are great. Speaking of, where is John?"

Edna waved her hand dismissively. "He and a few of the other husbands are down by the lake. It's where they park the classic cars. He'll be there all night if I don't go get him."

"Do you want me to go-" Annie pointed at the lake with her thumb.

"Oh no, not right now. I'll get him after the contest. We usually dance one or two and go home after. We beat the traffic that way. If you're hungry, Mr. Fritters makes the best food. He's just down by the ferris wheel." Edna said.

"Thanks, I'm starving actually. I'll see you in a bit then. It was lovely to meet you Betty." Annie replaced her mask and shoved her hands in her pockets, weaving around festival patrons as she followed the smell of deliciously terrible carnival food.

She was staring up at the lights of the ferris wheel as she walked, basking in the nostalgia when she ran into a solid object. The impact knocked her backwards.

"Woah there!" A pair of strong arms caught her as she stumbled.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't..I wasn't looking." Annie stammered, pushing her mask up into her head. The man was unexpectedly good looking. He towered over her as he smiled down at her, with slightly crooked front teeth. His eyes were a bright, piercing blue. The stubble that covered his face and his closely cropped hair gave him a rugged look.

"Don't mention it. There are worse looking women that could have mowed me down." His British accent brought it home and she found herself giggling like a schoolgirl. "Are you sure you're alright?" He asked with an arched brow.

She felt her face flush. "I'm fine. I'm really sorry again-"

He chuckled. "It's quite alright. It's gotten a bit cold, eh? Fancy a coffee?"

She was instantly ready to decline, but something stopped her. 'What harm is there?' She thought with a smile. "Yes actually."

He smiled and held out his hand. "I'm Dominic."

Annie shook his hand. "April."

He bought their coffees and they walked around the festival for a bit, making small talk. Their walk eventually brought them to the town center dance floor. They stood sipping their drinks, watching the couples dance.

"Are you here alone?" Dominic asked over the music.

Annie felt her heart rate speed up slightly at the thought of Bucky. She shook her head slowly. "No. I'm here with my neighbors." She pointed to Edna in her witch's hat being led around the dance floor by John who was wearing a headband that had the illusion of an arrow going through his head, dancing to Chattanooga Choo Choo by the Andrew Sisters.

Dominic smiled crookedly. "Care to dance?"

"Oh no, thanks, I don't dance too well right now. I hurt myself working around my cabin, so I'm going to take it easy."

He licked his bottom lip and smiled again. "Well that's too bad. You look like you could put quite a move on me." His cell phone rang. Annie used that brief moment to remind herself to breathe.

Dominic looked down at the phone, swiping to answer. "Excuse me." He whispered.

Annie nodded, gesturing for him to go ahead. He walked off, leaving her to watch John drag Edna around the dance floor. Then the song was over, and in its place the mellow chords of Toad the Wet Sprocket's Little Heaven began to play.

She watched the couples slow down their moves, some looking at one another, some resting their heads on their partners shoulders.

'Opened my eyes

The fire had come

Not for the end of days

Not for the faithless ones...'


Annie watched Edna and John dance, staring into each other's eyes and smiling, and her throat tightened. She pushed her mask back and held a napkin to her eyes to catch the tears before they could ruin her makeup.

"It can't be that bad, can it, princess?"

She looked up with a slight start.

'Breathe in waves of doubt

Bitter in your mouth

You will exhale cinnamon clouds...'


A man with familiar eyes and an all too familiar voice stood before her. He wore a dark leather jacket over a burgundy v-neck shirt and dark blue jeans with a pair of gray shoes. His hair was slicked back and he wore a simple black mask over his eyes. He held out his gloved left hand.

Annie felt like she was in a dream as Knights in White Satin began to play and she took his hand. He pulled her onto the dance floor and she stared up at him, struggling to find her voice. "Bucky?" She whispered.

'Beauty I'd always missed

With these eyes before

Just what the truth is

I can't say anymore...'


He smiled. "Wow. First guess? I'll have to do better on my costume next year."

She punched him in his right shoulder. "You ass! You left me!" She hissed.

The hit didn't hurt, but he winced at her palpable anger. "I did, and I'm sorry. I didn't know what else to do."

"You could have talked to me!"

"I could have killed you." He replied.

"Fifteen days and not a word! I've been worried sick!" She said, slapping his arm.

"I said I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd be so angry.."

"Why shouldn't I?! How was I supposed to know what happened to you? How was I supposed to know that Hydra hadn't recaptured you?! You abandoned me, not the other way around."

He glanced around, noting the few people who'd begun to stare at them. "Would you calm down, the point of tonight was to not be noticed. Who was that guy?" He asked, voice lowered.

She narrowed her eyes. "Why? Jealous?"

"Maybe." He replied.

"Why did you come back?" She demanded.

'Cause I love you

Yes, I love you

Oh, how I love you...'


He looked her over for a moment before lifting her arm up to rest around his neck while holding her other hand in his left as they danced. He pulled her close, his cheek pressed against hers. "Everything changed the second I made that decision to save you from that speeding car."

Annie new it sounded cliche, but she needed to say it. She needed to know. "Why did you come back?" She whispered.

'Beauty I'd always missed

With these eyes before

Just what the truth is

I can't say anymore...'


He let go of the breath he'd been holding in a quiet chuckle and planted a soft kiss on her jaw, just under her ear. "I love you." He whispered.

'Cause I love you

Yes, I love you

Oh, how I love you

Oh, how I love you..'


He pulled back to look at her when she fell silent. Just as he began to fear the response was not what she'd wanted, she placed both hands on his face and kissed him on the lips, taking him by surprise.

She pulled away. "Don't ever leave me again." She said, breathlessly.

His lips twitched upwards into a light smile and he dipped his head in a nod. "Yes ma'am."

The music was cut and the speakers squeaked with feedback. "Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to announce the winners of the pie contest!" The announcer said.

Bucky wrapped his arm around her shoulder protectively as people gathered on the dance floor. The contestants stood at the front of the crowd.

"Third place goes to Gillian Murpy for her cinnamon peach pie. Let's give her a round of applause!"

The crowd cheered and clapped as red headed Gillian Murphy stepped up on stage to receive her ribbon and certificate.

"Second place, with an apple pie to die for, goes to Mrs. Betty Hillsby!" The applause was a bit less than before as a clearly astounded Mrs. Hillsby walked on stage to reluctantly claim her red ribbon.

Annie could see Edna and John whispering to one another and smiled.

There was a loud drum roll as the announcer spoke. "And this year's Cypress Lake Pie Queen is..." He looked on his index card. "Edna Turner for her Blueberry Rhubarb pie!"

Annie shouted with excitement as Edna glanced around in shock. John ushered her towards the stage and she made her way to the platform.

"Edna, congratulations! What was the secret to your pie?"

Edna leaned in close to the microphone. "Lots of whiskey!"

Bucky snorted and they both burst out laughing with the crowd. Betty held up her blue ribbon and bottle of wine victoriously and the crowd applauded.

Bucky placed his thumb and index finger in his mouth, emitting an ear splitting whistle. Edna find Annie in the crowd and waved happily, pointing at her blue ribbon. Annie responded with two thumbs up and pointed excitedly at Bucky who raised his mask for her. Edna's smiled widened and she gave them both a thumbs up.

OoOoOo

As the night drew to an end, Bucky helped Annie off the ferris wheel and they wove their way through the exit line.

"This is the most fun I've had...since I can remember." She gushed, looking up at him. "Thank you."

He brushed her hair out of her face. "It's almost midnight. Want to get out of here?"

She nodded, looking up at him. He dipped down to give her a kiss when they were interrupted.

"Oh I'm so glad to see you kids worked things out!" Edna cried.

Bucky stood up straight and smiled. "Thanks for looking out for her Edna."

She stood on her tip toes and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Goodnight you two." She patted Annie's arm as John led her to their truck. They watched as the couple drove off, leaving them nearly alone in the parking lot.

"Can I take you home?" Bucky asked, looking down at her.

Annie blushed. "Only if you promise to stay the night."

He pulled her against him so that she had to arch backwards slightly to look up at him. "I think that's the best idea you've had all night." He whispered, giving her a kiss that literally took her breath away.

"Where's the bike?" She asked.

"At the cabin. I figured I'd better walk to give me a chance to think about what I was going to say to you." He replied, lacing his fingers with hers.

They walked in silence for a bit, the bright moon lighting their way. Annie could feel the solidity of his metal hand in hers and she couldn't help but smile.

"I'm glad you came back, Bucky."

"I tried not to. I came up with a hundred reasons not to. I figured it was the best way to keep you safe."

"You mean safe from you?"

"Especially me. I don't know who I am when those nightmares happen. And when I came to that morning and saw you laying there-" his voice shook slightly and he shook his head. "I thought that I'd killed you."

"But you didn't."

"But I could have."

She stopped at the bottom of their driveway, grabbing the lapels of his coat. "I trust you, even if you don't trust yourself. You're a good man, Bucky." She stood on her tip toes and kissed him.

He deepened the kiss, pushing her gently against a nearby tree. He tangled his hand in her hair, pulling her head back and receiving a moan from her in response. She broke away with a gasp.

"We're home.." She said awkwardly. She rolled her eyes at herself and quickly bound up the steps of the porch.

Her hands were shaking as she tried to open the door. His lips were pressed against the back of her neck, making it nearly impossible for her to concentrate. She finally got the door open and they stumbled in.

He cupped her face in his hands as he kissed her, kicking the door shut with his foot. He backed her towards the couch and stopped. Something was off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please drop me a comment! Please note that the lyrics belong to Toad the Wet Sprocket and the Moody Blues. Nor do I own any of the characters save for the OCC.