Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Eighteen

Once the breakfast and small talk was over, Fury stood. "Let's take this to a place where we can actually talk."

They stood and followed him down a hallway, stopping when an agent stepped out of the room and greeted them.

"Miss Pierce, I'm agent Kee. If you'd step inside and have a seat." She held her hand out, gesturing towards a table with chairs.

Annie entered and sat down with Bucky in tow. "Sergeant Barnes, we have a separate room for you."

Bucky glared at her. Sensing his tension, Annie grabbed his arm. "Bucky, it's ok." She whispered.

"Why separate them? I don't see the need." Steve said, entering the room and taking his seat across from Annie. Bucky stood directly behind her.

Fury entered and nodded. "I suppose that settles it. Thank you agent Kee, we won't be needing the second room."

Agent Kee nodded, closing the door as she left. Fury leaned against the wall, crossing his arms. "I'll get right to it, we are in the midst of a proverbial shit storm. Hydra," he glanced at Bucky. "Managed to infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D. at practically a molecular level. You two have been on the run while we have been working around the clock to regain what we can of our operation."

"So why do I feel like we're being interrogated?" Bucky asked.

"You're not. But pay close attention unless you want to wind up as Hydra's puppet again." He looked at Bucky. "We're here to discuss the events of the past few months. They affect every one in this room." Fury replied.

"How so?" Annie asked.

"To stop Hydra, we had to make a drastic move. We dumped all of our files into the internet, giving the public complete transparency."

"Ok. Transparency is good. But what does it have to do with me?" Annie asked.

"Annie, by now, I'm sure you know that your father wasn't..." Steve struggled to find the words. "He wasn't on our side. He was a chief officer of Hydra."

She nodded. "I know. I'm still trying to process it all...What exactly is Hydra?"

"A terrorist group. They started out as a branch of the Nazis, captain Rogers and your new bff here, fought them up close and personal during world war two."

Bucky's brow furrowed and he brought his hand up to push his hair out of his face. Annie glanced at him. He looked to be struggling with something, but remained silent.

"Do you have any recollection of that, sergeant?" Fury asked.

Bucky stared blankly at the table. He could hear urgent voices, screaming. He saw scenery flying past him in a blur as he fell. Suddenly he felt a chill.

"Bucky?" She asked.

"I remember being cold...And being in a white room with bright lights...but that's all." He replied quietly.

"Maybe this will jog your memory?" Fury replied, tossing three thick, worn brown folders onto the table.

Steve jerked his head to the side, locking eyes with Fury. "Nick! I thought we agreed-"

"We don't have time to waste. We can't tip toe on eggshells waiting for him to remember. How did you learn to swim, Rogers?"

Steve's brow furrowed. "What?"

"How did you learn to swim?" Fury repeated.

"I don't remember...?"

"I learned when my father threw me into the pond down the street, because I wanted to go to summer camp. But I couldn't, because I couldn't swim. He took me down to the pond, picked me up and threw me in. Told me to sink or swim." Fury looked at Bucky. "It's time to sink or swim. The information in that folder will make or break you. But it's time to face it."

Bucky looked down at the folder. Annie watched him open a folder as one would diffuse a bomb.

"Bucky..." Annie laid her hand on his metallic arm.

"Buck, you don't have to." Steve replied.

He looked at Annie. "Yes I do..." He closed it and walked out.

She felt uneasy as the door shut behind him. "What's in those folders?" She asked.

"Everything Hydra had on him. Every test, every job, every kill-"

"Wait, what?" Annie looked at Fury. "There's a list of the people he's killed in there? Why would you let him look at that?"

"He's going to find out soon enough weather he reads it or not. Everything-" Fury was interrupted by the beep of the intercom on the wall.

"Sir, Mr Stark has just arrived." The female voice stated.

Fury cursed under his breath. "Have him wait for me in my office."

"I would sir, but he's brought the suit." The female agent said.

"Son of a bitch." Fury sighed.

"Stark? Tony Stark?" Annie repeated. She looked at Steve. "What is he doing here?"

"I was just wondering the same thing." Steve replied, turning to look at Fury. "You know I have trust issues, right?"

"I'm not hiding anything Rogers. I just found out this morning." Fury said.

"What exactly did you find out?" Steve asked.

There was a commotion out in the hallway. "Two of those people Barnes assassinated, were Maria and Howard Stark. Tony's parents." He replied before walking out.

Annie felt her jaw drop. "Oh my God..."

"This isn't good." Steve said quietly. "You should probably go back to your room until this dies down."

"I still don't know what any of this had to do with me." She said.

"Truthfully, neither do I. But the only way we could get Bucky out of his room was to assure him you'd be there too." Steve said, standing up.

OoOoOo

Annie was on her way to her room when she heard commotion coming from the room across from hers.

She knocked on the door. "Bucky?" When he didn't respond, she pushed the door open and walked in. "Bucky?"

The room was destroyed. The lamps were shattered on the floor. The mattress lay haphazardly on the floor, the bedding in tatters. She stepped cautiously over broken glass and tipped over chairs. On the dresser, lay the open folders.

"Bucky?" She pushed open the bathroom door. He sat with his back against the bathtub staring blankly at the opposite wall. Beads of sweat decorated his brow. "Are you alright?" She asked, leaning against the door frame

It was a moment before he answered. Almost certain he hadn't heard her, she was about to repeat the question, when he spoke.

"I killed them all." He whispered.

"It wasn't you...it was Hydra." Annie replied.

His face scrunched up in disgust. "You don't even know who they are. I'm the one who pulled the trigger."

"I can't believe this much guilt is coming from someone who intended on killing innocent people. It doesn't work for me. You said it yourself: you were supposed to kill me. So what stopped you?"

He closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. "Annie-"

"No! Bucky, you're a good man. I know it. I've seen it first hand."

There was a loud crash that sent Annie tumbling backwards as she tripped over the debris in the room. Scrambling to her feet, she came face to face with Iron Man.

"Where's is he?!" Stark demanded.

"Mr. Stark wait!" She cried, throwing herself between him and the bathroom. She pressed her hands against each side of the doorway, making herself a barrier.

"Step aside!" He demanded.

"I won't!" She stood up straight, looking him in the eye. "I don't know what you think you know, but that man in there is not what you think he is. He's in pain."

"He hasn't even begun to comprehend the term. But he's about to get a crash course. Now move!"

"I'm not going anywhere! He's an innocent man and he's my friend. I won't let you hurt him!" She snapped. She felt a hand on her waist and breath on her neck and turned.

"Annie, it's ok." Bucky said quietly.

Annie turned to him. "No it's not. It absolutely is not ok!"

Stark aimed his hand at her. "Move outta my way kid. 's got nothing to do with you, but if you get in my way-" His threats were cut off as his arm was knocked back by an unseen force.

"STARK!"

They both turned to see Steve, with Fury in tow, entering the room. Annie understood now that the object had been Steve's shield, which stuck out from the wall beside her.

"Have you lost your mind?" Steve asked.

"Cap, I really don't feel like listening to your hero bullshit right now."

"You're not thinking clearly! You just aimed your weapon at this girl for what? Because she was in your way? Stop and think!" Steve replied.

"See that's the problem. I've been thinking. Matter of fact, that's all I've been able to do since I left L.A." the helmet opened, exposing Tony's face, a torrent of emotions. "My life was changed permanently the night my parents died. And it's all because of him!"

"It's all because of Hydra! I understand your pain-"

"You don't know anything about my pain!" Tony snarled.

"Don't I? Because of Hydra, I was frozen in time. I lost seventy years!" Steve snapped, stepping forward. "SEVENTY. YEARS. When I woke up, everyone I'd ever known was either dying or dead. The only woman I ever loved doesn't even remember my name because dementia has destroyed her mind. So don't tell me I don't know anything about pain!" He shoved Tony hard, making him stumble backwards.

Tony swatted his hand away. "Don't touch me again." He warned.

"Then don't threaten innocent people." Steve replied. His nose scrunched up and he leaned forward, sniffing. "Are you drunk?"

Tony rolled his eyes. "I've researched it thoroughly, there are no laws against flying the suit while intoxicated."

Annie watched them bicker back and forth like a tennis match.

"Gentleman, let's take this downstairs. Outside if you're going to fight." Fury said.

"Looks like the party started without me." Everyone turned at the voice.

"Not now, Romanoff." Stark said.

"Natasha. We weren't expecting you back until tomorrow." Fury said.

Annie felt Bucky stiffen behind her and turned. He was staring at the buxom red head. "Bucky?"

His eyes were blank and she was beginning to understand it was a sign of him remembering something. She took his metal hand in hers and squeezed. The sensation took him by surprise and he blinked rapidly, snapping out of it. He looked down at her.

"Are you ok?" She whispered.

"For now." He said.

"Давно не виделись, любовника." Natasha said.* long time no see, lover.

Bucky's eyes flashed. "Рад видеть, что вы сделали его живым."* glad to see you made it out alive

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "В какое время?"* which time?

Bucky's hand gestured to his abdomen. "К сожалению об этом , кстати."* sorry about that by the way.

"You two know each other?" Annie asked.

"You could say that." Natasha replied.

"Yeah. You could say that." Bucky repeated, crossing his arms.

Annie's mind was racing, trying to keep up with all of the events.

"Well that's just...that's just great. Glad you two got your reunion." Tony snapped.

"Alright. Outside." Steve and Fury led him out of the room. "You too, Romanoff." Fury ordered. Natasha stared at Bucky briefly, before following them.

Annie whistled. "The sexual tension between you two is insane." Annie said.

Bucky cleared his throat. "Um, what?"

"You two have history, and it's not just that you tried to kill her, apparently." She said. "You obviously remembered something. Did the two of you used to be a thing?"

His brow furrowed. "A thing? Like a couple?"

Annie nodded, stepping carefully over debris as she made her way back to her room.

Bucky stopped in her doorway, pausing thoughtfully. "In all honesty, I don't know."

"But you did remember something, didn't you?" Annie asked, sinking down on bed.

"I did. I remember killing this engineer she was protecting. I shot through her to get to him." He said quietly.

"Shot through-like literally killed him by shooting through her?" Annie exclaimed. He nodded slowly. "Oookay then." She suddenly stood and squeezed past him as she went back into his room. She re-emerged clutching Bucky's files to her chest. "Come inside and get comfortable."

"What are you doing?" He asked, shutting the door behind him.

"Director Fury wants you to go through these, to regain your memory." She sat down on the floor, crossing her legs. "We'll go through them together, so you don't have to do it alone. And that way," she patted the floor next to her. "You can talk to me. It always helps to talk. Like soldiers with PTSD."

He exhaled through his nose and ran his hands through his hair. "Alright. But don't get your feelings hurt if I snap at you, princess."

OoOoOo

They spent hours locked in her room, going through each page of the documents. Annie had sorted the notes into two sections. One for things he could easily recollect, and one for things that were difficult.

It was well after sunset by the time Bucky suggested they take a break. "Why don't you go stretch your legs. Take a walk or something."

"Why don't you? I'm sure you're just as cramped as I am." She replied.

"Trust me, I've been in tighter places for longer periods of time. I'm fine. Anyways, I really don't feel like running into Stark."

She stood and stretched, sighing blissfully as her back popped. "I'm going to see if I can grab some food before the cafeteria closes."

He flipped through some papers. "I'm not hungry."

"Of course you're not." She replied as she closed her door behind her.

OoOoOo

About fifteen minutes had passed when he heard the door open and close again. Immediately, he sensed something was off.

He turned and stood, dropping the file on the table. "What are you doing here?" He asked in Russian.

"My curiosity got the better of me. I wanted to see if it was really you." Natasha answered in the same language.

He glanced at his arm. "Is this not proof enough?"

She shrugged. "Technology has come a long way." She nodded at the scattered papers on the floor. "Doing your homework?"

"What do you know about it?" He asked.

Natasha leaned against the wall of the foyer, crossing her arms. "Fury made me do the same thing when he recruited me."

"Recruit? I'm not being recruited for anything." He said.

"You may not think so."

"He said he wanted to keep me away from HYDRA, so they don't use me again. It wasn't a job interview."

Natasha smiled. "Fury brought you here to keep you away from Hydra. So he could use you himself. You're a strong fighter, next only to Steve...and maybe Thor...and the Other guy."

"I don't want to fight anymore." He said.

"I doubt you'll have much choice. There is a war brewing, weather you choose to believe it or not. This is your chance to start making amends, and make hydra pay for what they did to you."

"How long did it take you to make amends?" He asked.

"A few years." When he looked at her with a 'yeah right' expression, she smiled again. "Saving the world once or twice is a big way to make amends. Dying for it is the ultimate way. I just guess I'm a little selfish in that aspect."

"What about the nightmares?" He asked, lifting the paper off the table.

"Those never really go away. They fade in time, but never really leave us. It's God's way of making sure you never take that path again." She said. "In all honesty, this transition should be easier for you. You were a good guy before you were turned. I was never given the option. I had to learn to be one of the good guys."

Bucky looked down at the papers in his hand, a feeling of dread washing over him. He stared down at the face of a woman with short, brown hair to her shoulders, smiling at the camera.

"Have you told her yet?" Natasha asked.

"That I killed her mother? How can I tell her?" He asked bitterly.

"I know you care about her." He looked up at her, but she continued before he could speak. "Because you used to look at me the same way you look at her now. And if you really care for her, as I suspect you do, then you'll tell her. Because she'll find out one way or another."

Bucky nodded. "I'll tell her."

She pushed herself off the wall and opened the door.

"Natasha..." He said in Russian. She glanced over her shoulder. "What went on between us...was it good or bad?"

She shrugged. "A little bit of both. We were focused on killing each other under the sheets and on the streets."

His brow furrowed and she rolled her eyes. "We were working for different organizations, rivals. When we weren't trying to kill each other, we had sex. And lots of it."

He pressed his lips together and nodded, feeling heat creep up his neck. "Oh."

She smirked. "Don't worry about it. I've moved on to bigger and better things. But seriously, tell the girl. Tell her everything, and that includes how you feel about her." She closed the door, leaving him alone with his thoughts.

OoOoOo

"Can I get a burger with lettuce, ketchup, and mustard? A Greek salad with extra olives, hummus and pita bread, and two large teas." Annie asked, looking up at the illuminated menu.

"All that for you?"

Annie turned to see Steve leaning against the metal rail that created a path for long lines to follow during peak hours. He'd showered and was in an olive green t-shirt with a pair of black basketball shorts.

She smiled. "Pffft no. Bucky said he's not hungry, but he really hasn't eaten anything. So I figure if I turn my back for a few minutes he'll eat the burger."

"He won't if there's mustard on it." Steve said.

"Who doesn't like mustard?" She glanced at the cashier. "Hold the mustard please."

"We spent a lot of time on Coney island growing up. The roller coaster was his favorite. And so were the hotdogs. He liked them with extra mustard and relish. 'til he got sick on the coaster."

She laughed. "Can't blame him then."

"Yea, he gave up mustard that day and never looked back. I always wondered if it was really the coaster or the fact that he'd just signed up for the war. He was always real good at keeping a straight face."

"Sounds like you two have had quite the friendship." She said.

"He's like my brother. For a while, he was the only family I had."

"He's a good man, Steve. And I know he's at war with himself over all of this."

"One of the best. What they did to him, what they made him, is not who he really is." Steve said.

"I know. How did things go with Stark?" She asked.

Steve sighed. "He's understandably upset. Just with the wrong person. It's going to take some time, but I think he'll come around. Fury's found some footage they recorded during some of his "sessions"."

"Sessions?"

Steve frowned and scratched the back of his neck. "They recorded his torture."

Annie choked on her tea. "What? And you have this footage?" Steve nodded. "So this is evidence that Bucky is innocent!"

"They don't care. They want to put a face on Hydra. With Pierce dead, Bucky is the only one alive that can be used."

Annie felt her stomach drop and lowered her cup. "What?"

Steve's face turned two shades lighter and he struggled to find words. "Oh gosh Annie...I'm so sorry..."

Her eyes filled with tears to the point she could no longer see. "When?"

"I-I thought you knew-"

"WHEN?!" She cried.

Steve sighed. "The day the helicarriers fell..."

She choked back a sob, covering her mouth with the back of her hand. "How?"

"Annie-"

"I shot him." Fury said, appearing out of nowhere. Steve and Annie turned. "He was my friend for over two decades, and an agent for Hydra for longer than that. Right under my nose." He stuffed his hands in his pockets. "He was going to eradicate a significant number of civilians with the click of a button. I did what I had to do."

She wiped her face with her hands and looked up at the ceiling as she tried to stop her tears. "I understand." She looked at him, forcing a smile. "You don't have to apologize."

She picked up the food. "I have to get this upstairs..."

Steve reached out a hand. "Let me help you-"

She shied away. "Thank you, but I've got it. Goodnight."

OoOoOo

"Did you get lost?" Bucky asked when the door opened.

"Something like that..." Annie said quietly. She set the food down, keeping her back to him.

Bucky immediately stood. "What's wrong?"

She took in a shaky breath, trying to calm herself, but only managed to cry harder.

He took a few long strides across the room and gently turned her to face him. "What happened? Did someone hurt you?"

She shook her head, looking down. "It's stupid really." She said.

With his metal hand, he lifted her chin, forcing her to look at him.

"My dad is dead." She forced out. "It's stupid!" She sobbed. "He was a criminal a-and a monster and...GOD! The things he did! To you and whoever else...But he was still my father. And before I knew all of this, I loved him." She stared up at him. "Bucky, I'm so sorry."

He stared down at her, watching the tears fall from her green eyes and he was struck with a piercing feeling of guilt. In that moment, he decided against telling her about her mother. He pulled her to him in a tight embrace.

With that small gesture of affection, her resolve shattered. She collapsed against him in tears.

Without a word, he lifted her into his arms and carried her to the bed

OoOoOo

The cold November wind blew through the open window, fanning out the curtains like ghosts. The moon peeked through the clouds sporadically, casting eerie shadows on the walls.

"He was a good dad. He loved us. He provided for us, made sure we never had to want for anything. But taught me the value of working hard for what you wanted. He was always working." Annie lay in the bed on her side, resting her face on Bucky's flesh arm. He sat with his back against the wall, listening to her.

She sniffled and smiled slightly. "But he never missed a single music or dance recital, no matter how busy he was."

"I didn't know you danced." He replied.

"I started when I was five. Three times a week with Madame Lucette at the Washington Ballet until I was 18. Then music became my passion. I'd played the violin and cello since I was seven, practicing on the days I didn't have ballet. It was so easy to lose yourself in the music, no matter what mood you were in."

"I've heard you play..." He replied quietly, recalling how the sound called his racing mind.

"How long did you work for my father?"

He shifted and sighed. "I don't know."

She felt the sting of tears in her eyes once more. "I remember good things about him...And then I remember that he tried to have me killed...twice...Who does that to their child? He was the only person I had left in this world."

"You have me, sweetheart." He whispered. Bucky held her until she fell asleep. He stared out the window, watching the clouds pass by lazily. Once he was certain she was fully asleep, he eased his arm out from under her and slipped out of the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! Please drop a comment so I know at least one of you is still reading, lol