Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Two

Annie woke early the next day to an overcast sky. Pulling her hair into a ponytail, she tied her robe and poked her head out of the door.

"Brock?" She walked downstairs to find him gone. "Unbelievable." She grumbled, picking up the empty bowl and four beer bottles that littered her coffee table.

She yawned and discarded the trash, placing the bowl in the sink.

Resting her chin on her hand, she watched as Captain America's face flashed across the screen.

"Today is the grand opening of the new Captain America exhibit at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. All are welcome to come learn about America's first super hero. You may hav..."

"Now there is a good looking man..." She said, stifling another yawn.

Her phone's loud ringing jerked her out of her daze. She hit the speaker on the wall. "Good morning dad." She said, pouring coffee into an oversized mug.

"Good morning sweetheart, how are you?"

"I just woke up actually." She poured creamer into the coffee and began to stir it. "Making coffee as we speak."

"Late night?"

"Kind of, yeah." She said, scratching the back of her neck.

"Anyone I know?"

She nearly choked on the coffee. "Dad! No! God, it definitely wasn't anything remotely in the realm of that. I left the studio a little later than expected and my bike got stolen-"

"Oh Annie! I don't know why you insist on riding a bike around town. It isn't safe. This city isn't safe."

"Yeah. I know."

"How did you get home?"

"Well...I ran home. And then with the storm-and this jerk ran through the intersection while I was crossing the street-"

"Annie!"

"But I'm ok dad! Luckily some guy pulled me out of the road before-"

Her father scoffed on the other end of the line. "Do not tell me he walked you home."

Annie cringed, sipping her coffee again. "No! I'm not that crazy dad." She replied, conveniently omitting the fact that he apparently carried her to her home while she was unconscious. She paused mid drink as a thought made her stomach flip.

"And you're certain he didn't follow you home?"

She'd never told him where she lived. She remembered seeing the man on her balcony ledge, but wasn't sure if it had been a dream. "No dad. Brock was here."

"Ah yes. Brock...I almost forgot the two of you were a thing."

"Dad, we've been a 'thing' for over a year. You introduced us, remember?"

He chuckled. "Yes I remember. How is he doing?"

She slumped forward against the bar, flipping through some mail. "You would know better than me. He's been working non stop. I barely get to see him."

"It's a demanding job that he has. And it is important that you understand that."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say that he asked you to call me."

"Of course not. I just know how hard it was on your mother."

"Right." She finished the coffee and placed the mug in the sink.

"I also wanted to invite you to meet me for lunch today, if you aren't too busy."

She smiled. "I'm never too busy for you."

"Great." She could hear the smile in his voice. "I'll send a car for you around one."

"I'll be here."

"Alright. I love you."

She nodded, fidgeting with the tie of her robe. "I love you too dad."

"And Annie?"

"She looked at the phone expectantly. "Yes dad?"

"Look both ways before you cross the street."

She laughed. "Bye dad!"

OoOoOo

Annie stepped off the elevator, smiled at the few employees she passed, and made her way down the hallway to her father's office.

"Hi, Edith." She said to the receptionist, who was on the phone. The older woman smiled over her glasses and waved her through.

Tucking the papers she was carrying under her chin, Annie pulled the door open and turned the corner. In a shower of papers, she plowed face first into a solid form, falling backwards.

"Hey! You ok?" The man caught her by both arms.

She rubbed her nose and brushed her hair out of her face, trying to hide her embarrassment. "I am so sorry! I wasn't-" her voice caught in her throat as her green eyes met a bright pair of blues. "Looking..."

"It's really not a problem." He said. "Are you sure that you're ok?"

She realized that she was staring with her mouth slightly open. "I...Yes! I'm alright. I just...need to...to.."

"Pick up your papers?" He asked with a slightly lopsided smile.

'Oh my God!' She screamed mentally. "Yes!" She dropped to her knees, realizing much too late that he was standing entirely to close, so her face was directly in front of his crotch.

He must have noticed too because with a nervous chuckle he dropped down on one knee and began to help her scoop up the papers.

"So, uh, what's your name?" He asked, trying to stack the papers neatly.

"Annie."

He picked up some more papers. "I'm-"

"I think it's petty clear who you are..." She looked up with a smile and gestured to the star on his chest. "The..uh suit...gives it away."

He looked down at the star and laughed. "Heh, yea. I guess it does." He stood and helped her up. "You know Captain isn't my real name, right?"

She smiled, blushing. "Steve Rogers."

He smiled and handed her all of the papers except one. "It's nice to meet you Annie." He looked down at the paper. "An outdoor concert?"

"Yes! I'm a music instructor for children around the area. We've been rehearsing for months. It's a free concert to anyone who wants to come." She rambled.

"When is it?"

"Next month at the World War II memorial park. You should come!" She blurted.

His smile widened. "I think I will." He held up the paper. "Can I?"

She nodded. "Oh yea of course!" She held up the stack. "I've got plenty!"

"Annie, there you are!"

She looked over Steve's shoulder and Steve quickly straightened up.

"Captain." Her father said, nodding to him.

"Mr. Pierce."

"I see you've met my daughter, Annie."

Alexander Pierce said, wrapping an arm her shoulders.

She didn't miss the flash of surprise that crossed his face. As fast as it appeared, it was gone as he made eye contact with her and smiled.

"We literally just ran into each other." Annie replied, hugging the papers to her chest like a school girl.

Pierce arched a brow, looking at Steve over his glasses. "Oh?"

"Well, I need to be going. It was really nice to meet you, Annie." Steve said. He looked at her father. "Mr. Pierce. Have a good day."

Annie smiled and waved. "See you at the concert!"

Steve smiled, backing away with a salute. "You betcha."

Annie watched him disappear down the hallway. She didn't realize she was staring until her father cleared his throat.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes. Very. I'm pretty sure I just acted like a sixteen year old girl at a backstreet boys concert in front of Captain America. Kill me now." She groaned.

He patted her back. "Behind all that gear, he's still just a man."

OoOoOo

Annie shoved a fork full of salad in her mouth, suddenly starving.

Pierce sat watching her, carefully smoothing out the wrinkles in the tablecloth.

She swallowed the food. "Dad? Are you going to eat?"

He blinked. "Yea. Sorry." He picked up his fork and stabbed at a carrot.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

He nodded, chewing completely before answering. "I am. I just have a lot on my mind."

"Anything I can help with?" She asked, sipping her glass of wine.

He smiled. "No. It's nothing to worry yourself about. Just a project that I'm working on."

"What kind of project?"

He cut into the chicken on his plate and put it in his mouth. "I can't tell you, unfortunately. It's classified."

She chuckled. "Yes, of course it is. Well maybe you could speak hypothetically, ease your mind." She took another bite of her salad.

"I've never been good at being hypothetical. Let's just say, it's a very big operation that is going to change national security for the better."

"Sounds interesting."

"I'm going to give Brock next Friday off. I think you two deserve a night out. And there are a few things I've got to take care of that will take us both out of town."

Annie nodded, swallowing the food. "Where to?" He looked at her over his glasses and she held up her hand. "Classified. Got it."