Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Three

Annie pulled her hair back into a ponytail, leaving a few stands to frame her face.

"So where are you guys going?" Her friend Danielle asked.

Annie leaned forward towards the mirror in her bathroom and carefully applied her favorite plum colored lipstick.

"I don't know. But if I know Brock, it will most likely be either a bar or a night club. Probably both." She said, touching her bottom lip with her little finger.

"You sound positively thrilled. What's up with you?" Danielle asked.

Annie stared at herself in the mirror. "I don't know. Brock just...he's been acting weird. He can be so insensitive sometimes. I just..." She sighed. "I don't know. He's different."

"What do you mean?"

"When we first started dating, he was really nice. And amazing in ways that I won't bother to describe."

"Thank you."

"But something changed. There are times that he can make me swoon, and the next second he makes me want to punch his face."

"Have you talked to him about it?" Danielle asked.

Annie put on a pair of silver hoop earrings. "I've tried to bring it up but his excuse is always work."

"Well, it could very well be. Everything he does is classified. He probably just needs to talk to someone about it, who is allowed to discuss classified stuff. Detectives and police officers have to do it all the time because civilians will never be able to fully understand what they do."

"Wow Danielle. That was very insightful." Annie said with a giggle.

"I saw it in a movie. But I'm sure it's true."

Annie picked up her cell phone and walked out on to her balcony. The sun was just setting and a cool breeze was rustling the leaves. "Yeah. I guess."

"In my opinion as your friend, I think you should just put it on him tonight. And I mean really put it on him. Make him remember what it was like when you first met."

"I didn't sleep with him when we first met, Danielle."

"Then make him remember what it was like the first time you did. Men respond to sex. It's a known fact. It's in their genetic code."

Annie laughed. "Well ok then. We'll see what the night holds." She watched as a black SUV pulled up and Brock got out. "Danielle, I've got to go. He's here."

"Remember what I said! Put. It. On. Him. Have fun!"

She hung up the phone just as Brock opened the door to her bedroom. He stood with his hand on the doorknob, looking her up and down.

"Hey Brock." She tucked the phone in her clutch.

"Hey babe. You're not wearing that out are you?"

She looked down at her black and red bandage dress and red heels. "That was the plan, yeah."

He walked into the room, circling her like prey. "You sure that's what you want to wear?"

Fighting a smart ass reply and remembering Danielle's advice, she turned to face him. "Why? Is it too much for you?" She traced her fingers down his neck, looking him over.

He was in a gray button up shirt with dark blue jeans and she would be an idiot if she didn't admit that he looked damn good.

He placed his hands on her hips, jerking her against his chest and kissed her roughly.

"There could be consequences for looking like that..." He breathed against her ear.

She held tightly to him, raising her left leg. His hand immediately went to her thigh, holding her leg on his hip as if they were doing the slowest tango ever. "I expect there to be." She said, pressing her hips against his.

He closed his eyes and chuckled. "Alright. We need to go. Jack's waiting in the car."

"Oh. I didn't know he was coming." She said, adjusting her dress.

"Is that a problem?" He snapped.

"No Brock, geez. I was simply stating that I didn't know he was coming."

He snapped his fingers. "Let's go."

OoOoOo

He watched through the scope of his rifle as she paced back and forth on her phone, occasionally throwing her head back and laughing.

She was in a dark blue silk robe that stopped just above her knees. She placed the phone on a small nearby table and before he could register what was happening, the robe slipped from her shoulders and she was standing with her back to him in nothing but a pair of black lace panties.

He quickly averted his eyes and glanced down at his watch for lack of a better place to look. He had started out curious about the woman, long before he'd saved her from a speeding car. On a low key recon mission, he'd heard the sound of a violin. It had practically entranced him as he searched for the source.

His search had brought him to her studio where she sat in the small patio alone. He had been watching her ever since. Every chance he had. He knew where she lived and that she sometimes sat on the tiny patio on her roof and practiced her music.

He had been perched on a nearby rooftop the night the storm hit. The power went out but he continued to watch her through the night vision scope. He watched her running through the rain. Unsure if she was being chased, he leapt from the building and saw the car speeding right towards her.

Without a second thought he pushed her out of the way. Against his better judgement he had actually spoken to her, and she had fainted. By the time he'd gotten her into the house through her balcony, he was being called back by his handlers. Unsure of what else to do, with her draped over his shoulder, he turned on the cold water in her bathroom and dropped her in it.

She'd woken with a shriek and made eye contact with him just before he jumped from the balcony.

And here he was again, unsure as to why. She perplexed him, but he couldn't stop himself. He looked back up just as she was zipping up a short black and red dress. She leaned against the wall and slid her red high heels on. Her hair was pulled into a ponytail.

She continued talking on the phone, eventually walking out onto the balcony. She was beautiful in every sense of the word.

"Asset, we need you to come in for report."

He rolled his eyes and pressed the button on his earpiece. "Copy." He replied in Russian.

A black SUV pulled up and she disappeared back into her room. He watched through the scope as a tall man with black hair got out of the car and walked into her house. When he looked at her again, she was in the man's arms kissing him.

He looked away and headed off into the shadows.

OoOoOo

Annie leaned her head back with her mouth open as Brock poured a shot of whiskey into it. The liquid burned as she swallowed it but her body felt suddenly very relaxed.

She grabbed his shirt and pulled him to her, pressing her lips to his. "I want to dance." She said over the music.

He kissed her neck while signaling to the bartender for another drink. "I'll watch." He whispered in her ear.

She grabbed another shot of whiskey and began to dance her way out onto the dance floor.

"You're holding on for life
Holding on for life
Holding on for love.
You're holding on for life
Holding on for life
Holding on for love..."

Brock leaned back against the bar, sipping his tequila and watching as Annie swayed on the dance floor to the music.

Rollins signaled for a drink and leaned closer to Brock. "You're a lucky guy. She's on fire."

Brock smirked and finished his drink. "Yea. Watch her for me. I'll be back."

"Not a problem." Rollins said, watching her dance. "Not a problem at all."

Brock gave him a friendly punch in the arm before heading upstairs. Rollins watched him walk up to a blonde and whisper something in her ear before leading her towards the bathrooms.

He finished his beer and signaled for another drink.

"Jack!"

He turned and smiled. "Annie, what's up?"

"Have you seen Brock?" She asked, trying to catch her breath.

"Yea. He went to the bathroom. Want another drink? It's on me."

She smiled. "Yea thanks."

He smiled and passed her a fresh drink. She gulped it back and laughed as a few drops splashed down her chin onto her dress.

"I got it." Rollins said, brushing her chin with his thumb.

She was feeling incredibly light as the alcohol began to take effect and squealed in delight as Arctic Monkeys 'Do I Wanna Know' began to play loudly.

"I love this song!!!" She cried. "Dance with me!" She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and pulled.

With so many bodies on the floor, there wasn't much room for dancing but they managed.

Annie spun around with her back to Rollins as they danced, closing her eyes as a euphoric, carefree feeling took over. His hands immediately grabbed her waist, pulling her against him.

Annie's eyes shot open as he pressed himself against her but then closed as he ran his hands up her bare arms. He nuzzled her neck, the roughness of his five o'clock shadow coaxing goosebumps from her arms.

She felt a body press against her front and opened her eyes. Brock looked down at her and then kissed her, yanking her head back.

She was almost embarrassed by the moan that escaped her lips and the three of them began to dance. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around Brock's neck, pulling herself as close to him as she could. He began to kiss her neck, running his hands up and down her hips.

After three songs, her erotic trance was suddenly broken when she felt Rollins' hand slip under her skirt and stroke her thigh.

"JACK!" She turned quickly, her back now against Brock.

Rollins smiled. "What's wrong baby?" He asked, running a finger down her throat and stopping just between her breasts.

She slapped his hand away. "I'm not your baby!"

Brock laughed. "I told you she was a tease."

"Unbelievable!" Annie jerked away from them both, heading for the door.

"I'm sorry, I thought I was invited!" Rollins said with a chuckle.

"Annie! Where are you going?" Brock asked.

"I'm leaving!" She shouted over her shoulder.

"Annie!" Brock barked.

She pushed through the crowd and shoved her way through the double doors, stumbling out the back door of the club.

She was halfway down the back alley when Brock and Rollins came out behind her.

"Annie!" He called. "Where ya goin'?"

She ignored him, heading to the parking lot.

She could hear footsteps behind her. "Annie! I'm talking to you!" Brock said, grabbing her arm.

"What the hell was that back there?!" She cried, glaring at Rollins over his shoulder.

"I thought we were having fun!" Brock replied.

"Yeah well I wasn't!" She snapped.

"It sure looked that way when I found you grinding your ass against Rollins!" He said.

"Oh give me a break! Who does that? I'm your girlfriend, not some whore you can share with your friends!" She yelled.

"Look at what you're wearing." Brock said. "You aren't exactly the poster child for-"

Annie slapped him across the face. "You asshole!" She turned and began to walk towards the street. "I'm going home!" She yelled over her shoulder.

OoOoOo

Annie hugged her arms to her chest as she walked home. Anger coursed through her the more she thought about it.

She could hear a vehicle approaching her from behind. It pulled up next to her.

"Annie get in the car." Brock said.

She refused to look at him. "I'm fine, thanks."

"Annie you're embarrassing yourself. You're embarrassing me. Get in the car!" He snapped.

Annie stopped and looked at him. "You know what Brock, no. I'm not going anywhere with you. You are an egotistical, insensitive...ass! And I wasted a year with you. But I won't waste one more minute. I'm done. We-" she gestured to him and herself. "Are done. We're done!" She turned the corner and began walking once more.

The SUV sped up and came to a screeching halt ahead of her. Brock jumped out of the car glaring at her.

She began to back away as he quickly approached her. "No! No no.."

He stalked towards her, shoving her backwards. "You're done are you?" He grabbed her by her shoulders. "Are you still done? Are you?!" He growled, shaking her.

She began to cry, refusing to look at him. "Stop it!"

He reared back and slapped her across the face. "You're done when I say you are! And I say you owe me and Jack an apology!"

She stumbled backwards, dazed from the blow. "Let me go!" She cried, trying to pull free.

"Oh no beautiful. Not until you say sorry." Brock said.

She sniffed, trying to calm herself. "I'm s-sorry..." She said.

"You're going to have to convince us." He said, dragging her to the car.

She began to scream, fighting to get out of his grip. He shoved her into the back seat and crawled in behind her. "Take us to her house."

OoOoOo

He'd been scanning the area when the SUV arrived once more at her home. The hour was late. He looked up at the moon and decided it was around two in the morning.

He watched as two men exited the car. Her body was draped over the shoulder of one of them. He immediately looked through the scope of his rifle and watched as they carried her into the townhouse, kicking the door shut behind them.

The light to her upstairs bedroom clicked on. He watched from across the street through his scope as one of the men walked to the bathroom, the other dropped her onto the bed.

Without another thought, he was leaping from rooftop to rooftop, staying in the shadows. He jumped into the tree nearest the balcony.

He could see one of the men standing near the bed, stripping his shirt off. The girl kicked him in the stomach and scrambled to get off the bed. She made it halfway to the balcony doors before the second man grabbed her by her hair and pulled her against him.

OoOoOo

"Brock! What are you doing?!" She screamed, grabbing his hands to lessen the pain in her scalp.

"You-" he pulled her back against him, groping at her dress. He ripped the straps down, exposing her. "Are going to tell us you're sorry. Over and over."

She began to cry as she struggled to get out of his grasp. She reached back and scratched him across the face.

He let go of her just long enough to punch her in the face. She stumbled to the ground, covering her face with one hand and her chest with her other.

"Stupid bitch!"

The second man came out of the bathroom and grabbed her by her throat, dragging her to the bed. He lifted her and threw her onto the bed.

"Please Jack...don't do this to me please!" She cried.

"What do you think, Brock? Want me to teach Annie a lesson in submission?" Jack asked, staring down at her as he removed his belt. He grabbed her ankle and forced her legs apart as she screamed and struggled to fight him off.

Brock spat and wiped at his face as he watched. He didn't hear the balcony door open just enough for the shadow to slip in.

The shadow stood directly behind him and grabbed him by the throat. Resisting the urge to crush his throat, he head butted him and threw him through the doors and over the balcony.

Jack turned in the direction of the commotion and leapt to his feet, only to be met by a fist to the face.

Annie backed up against the headboard of the bed, grasping at a sheet. She covered her face with her arms, watching between the cracks as her savior and Jack fought.

Jack was thrown against the wall. She jumped and cried out as the masked man's fist collided with the wall, leaving a crumbling hole next to Jack's head.

Jack mumbled something incoherent and the masked man picked him up and threw him over the balcony.

He stood staring down at them, breathing heavily in an attempt to calm himself. Hearing her sobs brought him out of his rage and he turned to her.

She backed away as he inched closer. "Please don't hurt me!" She cried.

He stopped, not understanding her fear until he caught glimpse of himself in a mirror. Donning a black mask, black armor and black gloves didn't really scream 'I'm here to help you'.

Against the voice in the back of his mind telling him not to, he pulled his mask off, letting it fall to the ground with a clatter as he held his hands up, sinking down to one knee at the bottom of the bed. He saw her robe laying in a heap on the floor and picked it up.

"Я тебя не обижу, Анни." He said.

"What?" She looked up at the strange accent, seeing for the first time his steel-blue eyes.

His hair fell into his face and he winced at his use of Russian, clearing his throat. "I said I won't hurt you, Annie." He replied in English, tossing the robe to her. "Are you alright?"

"No." a small sob escaped her lips as she slipped the robe on and pulled it tightly around her.

He moved closer to her, but stopped short of touching her. "I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner..." He said.

"You're..The guy who saved me a few nights ago, aren't you?" She asked, sitting up.

He stared at her for a moment and then gave her a slight nod.

"Your hand is bleeding..." before he could react, she had grabbed his hand, pulled the glove off and was looking it over. He could feel her hands shaking and jerked his hand free. "You should go to the hospital.." She said.

"No. No hospitals." He said sharply.

"Ok. No hospitals. At least let me clean it."

He chewed on the inside of his cheek, clearly ready to leave. He gave her a quick nod.

She stood up and her knees buckled beneath her. She collapsed against him, tears filing her eyes. "I'm so sorry...I just need a moment..."

He helped her to her feet, hands lingering on her arms until he was sure she was steady.

"Maybe you should go to the hospital." He replied.

She sniffed and brushed her hair back. "I'll live." She wiped her cheeks on her sleeve. "Let's get that hand cleaned up." She led him across the room to the bathroom.

He stood in the doorway, watching as she rummaged through her medicine cabinet.

"I'm sorry..all I have are some Hello Kitty bandaids, fresh out of super heroes. I buy them in bulk for the kids in my class..."

She took his hand and placed it under the running faucet water, carefully washing the dirt and debris from the wound. "I'm afraid to ask how, but you know my name, what's yours?"

He listened to the angry voice on the other end of his earpiece, demanding he return to base.

"Are you alright??" She asked, noticing the distant look in his eyes.

"I don't...know it." He replied.

"How do you not know your own name?" She asked. He shrugged. "Okay..this is going to sting.." She said, pouring peroxide onto the wound.

If it stung, he gave no sign. He didn't so much as twitch his hand. She took a tissue, using it to spread antiseptic ointment.

"It seems like I owe you my life twice now." She said, applying four bandaids.

He looked down at his hands and flexed it. It would serve its purpose regardless if it was pink. "You don't owe me...I guess we both just got lucky."

She pursed her lips, resting her hands on her hips as she stared at his bandaged hands. "I don't know if luck would be the word I'd use." She said quietly.

"You should get some rest." He said. "I have to go. Do you have someone you can stay with?" He asked.

She shook her head. "No."

"Here." He shoved a gun into her hands.

"Wha? I've never-"

"This is the safety. If one of them comes back, point and shoot. If you're lucky, you'll kill them, if not, you'll at least hurt them enough to get away." He walked over to the balcony, looking for any sign of the two men. Convinced it was all clear, he prepared to jump.

"WAIT! I've never shot a gun before!" She said.

He looked over his shoulder and tried not to roll his eyes. She was holding the gun like a dirty tissue between her thumb and index finger.

"And you never will if you hold it like that." He walked over to her and positioned himself behind her, placing her hands correctly around the gun. "It requires a steady hand. I know you have one."

The whole thing felt surreal, like a weird dream that she would wake up from any minute. "Point and shoot." He said.

"Ok...Point and shoot.." She repeated.

He returned to the balcony and prepared to jump.

"Will I see you again?" She said.

"I'll find you." He said, jumping from the balcony.

She walked out and looked over the railing. He was nowhere to be found. She looked at the scattered glass and broken wood, sighing.

After pushing a dresser in front of the doors to block the elements, she hurried downstairs to check the locks and flipped on every light in the house.

She then went to the guest room and collapsed on the bed. Curled up into a ball in the center of the mattress, she lay there with the gun in her hand until sunrise.
♠ ♠ ♠
Obviously, I own nothing but the OC.

Songs are: Do I Want to Know by Arctic Monkeys and Holding On for Life by Broken Bells. Both are pretty chill songs.