Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Four

A loud persistent knocking on the door woke her. Her head ached fiercely as she tried to register the time on the clock. Then the events from last night flooded her mind like a nightmare.

She sat bolt upright so suddenly that the gun in her hand went off. Screaming, she dropped the gun and rolled onto the floor as panic threatened to take over.

With a deep breath, she peered over the bed with wide eyes. A dark burnt hole was in the floorboard of the bedroom.

She then realized the knocking on the door had become more frantic. She stood and peered around the corner into the living room. Once she deduced that it was safe she walked to the door.

Too afraid to look out the window, she laid her ear to the door. "Who's there?"

"Annie! Oh my god are you ok?!"

She closed her eyes and sighed with relief as she pulled the door open. "Hey Danielle.."

Danielle's eyes grew wide as she took in Annie's appearance. "Jesus Annie! Was that a gunshot?!" She cried.

Annie grabbed her by her arm and pulled her inside the foyer, locking the door behind her. "It was but I'm ok."

Danielle jerked her arm free and looked her over, noting the bruises on her face. "What the hell happened to you?!" She asked.

Annie chewed on her bottom lip. "I was attacked...last night."

"That's evident. By who?!"

She turned on the coffee maker and sat down at the bar.

"Annie who did this?" She asked, laying her purse down in the chair.

Annie rested her chin on her fist to keep it from shaking. Images began to distract her. Images of Brock's rage filled gaze as he slapped her. Of Jack's lust filled gaze as he positioned himself over her. Of...whatever his name was' cool blue eyes watching her as he promised he wouldn't hurt her.

"Annie!" Danielle cried, slamming her hand on the countertop.

She blinked her eyes a few times and focused on her friend. "I'm sorry."

"Who did this to you?" She repeated, sitting down across from her.

Annie's eyes filled with tears as she met Danielle's worried brown eyes.

Danielle's mouth dropped open in sick realization. "Brock did this?" She gasped.

Annie poured them each a cup of coffee. "And Jack."

"Jack?!" She cried.

Annie nodded, handing her the cup of coffee.

"Please tell me you killed him and that's why I heard the gunshot..."

She shook her head. "I fell asleep holding the gun..."

Danielle ran a hand through her dark brown curls. "Annie..." She looked up at her friend, eyes filing with tears.

Annie shrugged, refusing to let her tears fall. She looked up at the ceiling. "I guess now I have a legitimate reason for breaking up with him.." She said, her voice cracking with emotion.

Danielle reached over and squeezed her hand. "Did you call the police?"

Annie shook her head. "No."

Danielle swallowed hard. "Did they-"

"No. Jack tried, but he didn't get the chance." She replied, taking a gulp of her coffee.

"What stopped him? I mean, sorry, but he and Brock are big guys..."

"It was insane..." Annie told her the story of how the guy jumped through the window and fought off both of her attackers, leaving out details.

Danielle sat staring at her, coffee still in hand, untouched. "I want to say that seems like the beginning of a really awesome movie, but...God Annie. Does your dad know?"

"No. I haven't told him yet."

"He'll kill both of them. Maybe you should let the police get them first."

"Yeah..do you think you could go with me to the police department?"

Danielle nodded. "Absolutely. You want to come stay at my house?"

"Thanks but no. If I leave he'll know that he got to me. Plus I have the gun."

"Fine but I'm staying here with you."

OoOoOo

"He's out of control."

Pierce watched from behind a glass barrier as his asset single handedly took out three of his men during training.

"No. I think he's exactly where we want him to be."

"With all due respect sir, I don't think he's ready. At least not on a mental level." The doctor replied.

Ignoring the doctor's concerns, Pierce turned to one of his men. "Mr. Sharp, find Rumlow. Tell him to initiate the plan."

The man nodded and picked up a nearby phone.

The doctor looked over at Pierce. "Sir, I think this is a mistake. One trigger could undo all that we have accomplished with him. If I could just have-"

"Doctor Flannigan, what do you see out in that room?" Pierce asked.

Dr. Flannigan looked out at the glowering man with the robotic arm, starting directly at them, and swallowed hard. "Pure intimidation, sir."

"Pure allegiance. He does what I say, when I say. Without question. Which is more than I can say for you." Pierce shoved his hands in his pockets as he stared at his asset.

"Sir, agent Rumlow has been arrested." Mr. Sharp replied.

Pierce narrowed his eyes. "On what charges?"

OoOoOo

"Soldier, are you insane?" Pierce asked angrily.

Brock sat in the interrogation room, cuffed hands resting on the table before him. "I'm sorry. We were drunk. It was a momentary lapse of judgement on my part.

Pierce rubbed his face. "You're damn right it was! Assault?!" He pointed at him. "We'll discuss this later."

Brock lifted his hand in a half-hearted salute as Pierce slammed the door behind him.

OoOoOo

Annie tossed and turned, before pushing herself up on her elbows. She glanced at the clock and sighed. It was close to midnight. She laid back down and stared at the ceiling.

The light from the moon was casting a blueish hue on the wall, causing the black shadows of the large sycamore tree to dance around.

Pushing the blankets back, she got up and made her way down stairs to the kitchen. The house was eerily quiet so she turned on the small t.v. to a random late night talk show, and pulled some chamomile tea down from the cabinet.

After setting the kettle to heat up, she leaned against the counter and tuned into the show, giggling at the hosts' poor imitation of Justin Timberlake.

"But seriously, on a different note, let's welcome one of earth's mightiest heroes, and my personal favorite, the heavy metal billionaire, Tony Stark. You all probably know him as Iron Man."

She watched as Tony Stark walked out onto the set, giving a wave to the audience before shaking handswith the host and sitting down on the sofa.

"Tony, thanks for joining us."

Tony nodded and smiled, crossing one leg over the other and resting his right arm on the back of the couch, casually. "Yeah, absolutely! Thanks for, uh, having me."

"I feel a bit like a teenager meeting his idol for the first time, so I apologize in advance if I giggle." The crowd laughed, Annie along with them as she rested her chin on her hand.

Tony held up his hands in surrender. "As long as you don't kiss me, we'll be good. I already have a lot of explaining to do with Pepper. What with my alternative lifestyle and all."

Again the audience laughed.

"Oh come on! What's one more thing to explain?"

Tony smiled. "You know what, you're right. What's one more thing? A little game of gay chicken never hurt anyone." He wiggled his eyebrows.

The crowd roared with cries and laughter as the two men slowly moved towards one another, lips puckered. Just before their lips met, the host pulled away.

"I'm sorry, I can't!" He laughed.

"Aww c'mon!" Tony laughed.

"So, how are you doing after the whole New York debacle?" The host asked, once he had controlled his laughter.

Tony shrugged. "Well, you know. I've got my moments. I imagine it's no different than what a soldier experiences when he's come back from war. Except you know, with aliens. And Loki." The crowd chuckled.

"And I understand you've recently become engaged to Pepper, is that correct?"

Tony nodded. At hearing some of the women in the crowd groan in displeasure at the news, he looked out at the audience. "You don't want me ladies, I'm a mess! I have a lot of baggage."

"Yea, Louie Vuitton." Annie replied to the t.v. She jumped when the kettle began to whistle.

After pouring the water over the tea bags in he mug, she turned off the t.v. and headed up stairs to the rooftop. The night was warm with a soft breeze. She walked around the access door to where her patio furniture was set up and froze.

A silhouette sat perched on the edge of her rooftop.

"You scared the shit out of me!" She cried.

"Sorry..." He mumbled.

"Do you ever do anything besides lurk?" She asked, sitting down on the nearby chaise lounge.

"I can lift heavy things." He replied, eliciting a snort from Annie.

"Wow, and you're funny. What are you doing here? Can't sleep?" She asked, sipping her tea.

"I'm not much for sleeping."

Annie scoffed. "What does that even mean? How can you not sleep?"

He shrugged. "Nightmares I guess."

"Yea, I can understand those..." She replied, thinking back to one she'd had a few nights ago. "So instead of sleep, you scour the city looking for damsels in distress? Girls too stupid to look before crossing the road."

"You weren't stupid, you were scared." He replied, sliding off the ledge.

"So were you following me?"

"No. I was already in the area when I heard you scream. I barely got you away from that car." He rested his hands on the cool brick ledge, looking out at the city.

"Why were you in the area?" She asked, sipping her tea.

"Chance."

She looked over at him. "Somehow I doubt that. You seemed to know Jack and Brock."

"I've run into them once or twice."

"So you work with them?"

"Yeah, sure. Something like that."

"Then you know my dad, Alexander Pierce."

He glanced at her upon hearing the name. "Never heard of him. Sorry."

"It's ok. It's a big place."

"How are you doing?" He asked, changing the subject.

She shrugged. "Nightmares. The bruises are pretty much gone. But the nightmares are horrible." She held up her glass and finished the tea.

"They'll stop, eventually." He replied.

She yawned, pulling her robe around her. "Did you remember your name yet?" She laid her head back.

"No."

"I'm going to call you...Chris. No, Johnny. It's weird talking to you and not having a name to call you by... And Johnny sounds kind of mysterious, which is the definition of you." She mumbled. "Johnny, I don't think..." She yawned. "I don't think I ever thanked you...for stopping..." her words trailed off.

"Annie..." He turned around and felt the corners of his mouth twitch, threatening to smile.

She was asleep, curled up on the lounge chair, empty mug still in her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please feel free to comment!