Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Five

Annie hadn't done much of anything since the attack. The morning after, she and Danielle went to the police and filed a report. The next day, she received a call informing her that Brock and Jack had both been arrested. It was the first time she'd been able to breathe easy since her assault.

Danielle had been staying with her occasionally when she wasn't staying with her boyfriend.

Tonight they sat on the couch watching some celebrity news show. A knock at her front door had Annie reaching for the gun. She and Danielle looked at one another.

"Are you expecting someone?" Danielle asked.

"No. The repair guys can't be here until tomorrow." She said.

"Relax. I'll go see who it is. Put the gun away, you're making me nervous." Danielle said, standing.

Annie clicked the safety in place and hid it under a pillow.

Danielle re-entered the room with a slight smile, followed by Pierce.

"Daddy!" Immediately Annie jumped up and threw herself into his arms, crying once he wrapped his arms around her.

He rubbed her back as she cried. "It's alright now..." he whispered, glancing up at Danielle. "Danielle, could you give us a few minutes?" He asked.

"Absolutely." She replied.

Pierce watched as she walked upstairs, not speaking until she was gone. He held Annie out at arms length back, looking her over.

Her left eye was swollen and a faded green and purple bruise stretched from the bridge of her nose to her hair line. Her bottom lip was still split but the bruising was significantly less.

"Honey I'm so sorry."

"I'm ok." She said quietly.

"No. This should never have happened. I'm going to make sure he pays for what he did. I'll kill him." He whispered.

Annie pushed his hand away. "I don't want him dead, dad. Jack is the one who tried to...you know. Granted Brock hit me a few times...but Jack did the worst."

He sighed. "Why don't you come stay with me for a few days?"

She gave him a tight lipped smile. "Thanks dad, but I'm ok, really."

"Lots of women say that but-"

"But it didn't actually happen. He tried to, but he didn't. And now they're both in custody and I don't have to worry about it. Honestly I don't think Brock would have raped me, it was Jack who really scared me. Plus Danielle is staying with me until further notice."

Pierce rolled his eyes as his cell phone rang. He held his index finger up, signaling for her to pause. "Alexander Pierce."

Annie crossed her arms and watched as his eyes darkened in displeasure. "What do you mean? Spell it out for me because I am quite unsure of how this could happen!" He began to pace angrily. "I don't care! He is a fugitive with access-" he drug his hand down his face. "Nevermind. I want the situation de-escalated at all costs, that is an order. Don't call me back until it's taken care of!" He ended the call with a furious press of the button.

"Sounds like you've got a situation." She speculated.

He threw back his blazer and placed his hands in his pockets. "Annie, I'm sorry sweetheart."

She smiled. "Daddy it's ok. I know more than anyone how important your job is. I'll be fine, I promise."

He pulled her into a tight embrace and kissed her forehead. "You call me if you need anything. And if you change your mind, you have the keys to the house, I'll have Renata fix up the guest room."

"Thanks dad."

"I love you sweetie."

"Love you too, dad."

He smiled and waved at Danielle. "Lock this door behind me. You girls be safe."

Annie stared at the door after it had shut, unsure of what to do.

"Hey, are you alright?" Danielle asked, descending the stairs slowly.

She blinked and exhaled. "Yeah. Are you going out?"

Danielle looked down and straightened out her shirt. "I was. Jace called and wants to meet for dinner. I can reschedule if you-"

"Absolutely not! Your love life shouldn't suffer because of me. Go out and have fun!" Annie replied with a wave of her hand.

Danielle smiled. "Do you want to go with us? We're going downtown."

"Thanks, but no. I need to practice anyways." She grabbed her cello and headed up the stairs.

OoOoOo

She stood out on the terrace of her condo listening to the sounds of the city. The sun had set and the breeze was cool as it blew through her hair. Her eyes scanned the city and nearby rooftops for any sign of him in the fading light.

"Are you out there?" She asked, receiving sirens and honking horns in reply.

With a heavy sigh, she sat down and stared at the cello. With trembling fingers, she picked up the bow and began to play.

OoOoOo

He watched her through the scope of his rifle, hearing the solemn tune she played. Her hair was pulled into a careless knot on her head. The oversized, worn out sweatshirt she wore hung off her shoulder exposing faded bruises.

She held her head to the side, eyes closed as her fingers worked strings. He felt as though he could watch her for hours.

"Asset, come in."

He scowled at the intrusion and pressed the earpiece. "I'm here."

"Target has been located heading east. Take him out. Stand by for coordinates."

He watched as her playing became more erratic. He could make out the shimmer of tears as they rolled down her face. His throat tightened and his voice cracked as he replied, "Out."

OoOoOo

Annie looked around in confusion. The house she was in wasn't her own. She pushed herself up from the bed she lay in. The room was pained gray with dark curtains over the window. She could see sunlight struggling to peek through them.

She stood up and winced. Her entire body felt as though it had been beaten by an unseen assailant and she was naked.

Looking around for her clothes, she couldn't find anything but a gold bandage dress that she didn't recognize.

"Hello?" She called. The home was beautifully decorated and big. The ceilings reached at least fifteen feet in the air. And in front of her was a balcony that looked out over the giant foyer of the house.

As she stepped out of the room, her body achingly protested the movement. She set one foot on the stairs heading to the first floor when memories came flooding back to her.

They had made love more than once, that much she could tell. A quick glance in the mirror told her he'd also beaten her, being sure to strike where the marks couldn't be seen. Quickly, she pulled on the dress. And then a heart clenching fear caused her to grip the railing for support.

He was here, somewhere. She didn't know how, but she knew Brock was nearby and the thought terrified her.

Pieces of the night began replaying in her mind. Images of her and Brock locked together in the bed. And then images of her holding tightly to another man. With piercing blue eyes and a scratchy five o'clock shadow.

Her heart flipped in her chest as she shielded herself from Brock's blows and attempted once or twice to fight back.

She remembered that she managed to get him one good time, slicing him just under the corner of his left eye withher ring when her fist managed to make contact. Then he picked her up and threw her onto the bed and began to choke her.

She gripped the banister, trying to steady herself. If he wasn't here, he would be back.

"And hell's coming with me." He had said.

She rushed down the stairs and began looking for keys. She turned into the living room where her suitcase was laying open, its contents scattered about. She quickly began stuffing the clothes as fast as she could into the suitcase, barely zipping it shut.

Forgoing the keys, she drug the suitcase to the door and threw it open.

Brock stood, blocking her escape, with both arms resting against the doorway. "Going somewhere sweetheart?"

"Brock-" her words were cut off as he grabbed her by the throat. Her cell phone began to ring.

"Didn't I tell you not to leave the bed? Where were you going?!"

"I'm leaving!" She cried, grabbing his hands.

"You're leaving me? I bet you really thought so, didn't you?" He shoved her against the wall. "You going to find your little Russian boyfriend? Huh?! Maybe that's him calling now."

She turned her face away from him as he got closer.

"Thought I didn't know about him, did ya?"

"Brock please let me go! You're hurting me." She cried.

"No. The pain hasn't even begun." He replied, pulling out a knife. "You might want to hold still."

OoOoOo

"BROCK STOP!!" Annie screamed, sitting up. She pressed her hand to her chest, trying to slow her erratic heart rate.

It was then that she heard the phone ringing. Glancing at the clock, she was relieved to see it was only just after ten. No good calls ever came after midnight.

She grabbed the receiver with trembling hands. "Hello?"

"Annie?"

"Speaking...who is this?" She asked.

"It's Jason Hadden."

"Right right, Danielle's boyfriend. I'm so sorry, I was asleep and..." She shrugged. "Is everything alright?"

"No. There was a really bad incident downtown and you were the only one who answered when I called, I didn't know what else to do..."his voice cracked.

Annie sat up straight. "What happened? Is she ok?"

"No she isn't. Haven't you seen the news?"

She grabbed the remote and turned on the tv. "What are you talking...about.." She watched as the news anchor stood in the street surrounded by flashing red and blue lights. "Jason where is Danielle?"

"We're at the hospital. I don't know if she-"

Annie jumped out of bed. "I'm on my way!" She threw the phone down.

OoOoOo

Annie threw the car in park haphazardly in front of the hospital and took off through the halls, half walking, half running.

"Hold the elevator!" She cried. She slid between the closing doors, nearly colliding with a solid chest. "I'm so sorry!"

"Annie, right?"

She glanced up and tucked her hair behind her ear, remembering she'd just gotten out of bed. "Captain Rogers! Hi."

He gave her a tired smile. "Call me Steve. What floor?"

She flushed slightly. "Umm.." She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to find the words. "Fifth floor please. What brings you here?"

"A friend of mine is here. Emergency surgery." Steve replied. "And yourself? Awfully late for you to be out."

"My best friend is here. Something about an incident downtown or something. I don't know how bad it is. I'm trying not to freak out..."

Steve shoved his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket. "I heard about the incident downtown." The elevator bell rang softly, signaling the floor reached. "I hope everything is alright with your friend." He held his hand out. "Ladies first."

She smiled. "Thank you."

They walked down the hall in awkward silence. "How's your outdoor concert coming along?"

She crossed her arms. "Oh, I think I'm going to postpone it."

"That's a shame. I was looking forward to it." He said.

She smiled. "Really?"

"Absolutely. I promised I'd go. I like classical music."

"It's not all classical. I'll let you know when we reschedule it." They turned the corner and Annie let out an audible gasp and grabbed his arm for support.

Steve stopped. "Annie what is it?"

Her face had paled and she suddenly found it hard to breathe. Brock and Jack both stood at the end of the hall talking with several other soldiers.

Annie stared at them in horror, unable to speak.

"Annie? Are you ok?" Steve placed a gentle hand on her arm and she jumped violently, crying out. She backed up against the wall, hiding beside a vending machine.

"Annie!"

She and Steve turned to see a tall, dark skinned man running towards her.

"Jason?" She whispered. "Jason!"

He reached them, trying to catch his breath. It was clear that he was distraught.

"Danielle...She..." He stifled a sob, bending at his waist and resting his hands on his knees for support.

"She what?"

Steve saw Maria Hill rush by, turning into a room marked EMPLOYEES ONLY. Seeing she wasn't alone, Steve broke away from her to follow Maria.

"She's gone!" Jason cried.

"What do you mean?!" She cried, finding her voice.

"She isn't-"

Jason nodded, rubbing his face. "They tried to stop the bleeding, but they couldn't..."

"What happened?!" She cried.

"There was a huge pileup downtown. We were eating. A car crashed into the bistro and she was pinned between the car and the wall. As soon as they freed her, the bleeding started."

Annie, quickly beginning to hyperventilate, suddenly saw darkness creeping into her line of sight and she swooned, knees bucking beneath her.

"I need help!" Jason cried.

Annie felt a strong pair of arms catch her before she hit the ground.

"...Annie...Baby?"

She felt someone tapping her cheek and her eyes fluttered open. Brock looked down at her, a look of worry on his face.

"Get away from me!" She screamed, trying to push him away.

"Annie, stop!" He tried to calm her down. "I'm sorry!"

She struggled in his grip. "Let go of me!!!" She shrieked. "I hate you!!"

Brock let go of her as if she'd physically burned him and backed away quietly. She crawled back and pulled herself up as Steve came out to investigate.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

She shook her head. "I have to get away from here...Jason, I'm so sorry if you need me, please let me know...but I can't...be here..." She said, resting her hand on her chest as if it helped her breathe better. "Goodbye Steve, I hope everything is alright with your friend..."

Steve watched as she ran down the hallway to the elevator. Natasha Romanov stormed out of the room he'd just been in, heading in the same direction.

"Natasha?" He said. She didn't reply, just continued walking away. He reached out and grabbed her arm. "Natasha!"

"Why was Fury at your apartment?" She asked accusingly.

Annie watched the two talk until the elevator dinged and the doors opened. The last thing she saw as the doors closed was Steve being escorted away by Brock.

OoOoOo

She sped home, anxious for the safety and security of her home. She parked in front of her home, but as she was about to get out, sick realization struck. She was alone. Her best friend was dead. Brock was not in jail where he was supposed to be.

She got out of the car and was about to walk up the steps when she doubled over, vomiting in the bushes. With a sob, she pushed through the door and locked all five of the locks.

The silence in the house was deafening. More so than that, the realization that she was suddenly alone was terrifying. She walked to the stereo and turned it up until the whole house was flooded with the sounds of Ed Sheeran and Bon Iver.

She walked through the house turning on every light before making her way upstairs to her room. She pushed through the double doors and locked them behind her, backing across the room until her back hit the glass balcony doors.

"What is going on?!" She cried, sinking to the floor. She let the horrible events of the night sink in as she sobbed.

Pulling her cell phone out of her pocket with a shaky hand, she began to scroll for her father's number.

A rustling sound behind her and a slight vibration in the glass caught her attention. Annie turned with a shriek and her phone tumbled out of her hands.

"Johnny" was kneeling on the balcony watching her with a curious stare. They stared at one another for a brief moment before she slowly reached up and unlocked the door.

He opened it just enough to enter and lowered himself down next to her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"You seemed upset." He replied. "Wanted to make sure you were ok."

She pulled her knees to her chest. "Yea well, I'm not." She whispered. "My best friend..."

"Don't." He cut her off. She pressed her lips together tightly and rested her chin on her arms, looking at him. He stared straight ahead. She could see the muscles working in his neck. "You don't have to tell me. Whatever it is, you'll just have to relive it and that will make it worse."

He rested his back against the wall, and turned his head to look at her. "You threw up..."

"Nerves." She replied. "I'll be ok."

"Will you?" He asked.

"Why are you really here?"

He leaned his head back against the wall and smiled slightly. "I wanted to see you. I told you I'd find you."

"Are you stalking me?" She asked.

He smiled again with a cough-like chuckle. "Yeah."

She rested her face against one her arms, wiping her eyes on her sleeve. "That really should scare me...did you figure out your name?"

The music slowed and the lazy sounds of big band trumpets began and Jimmy Dorsey's smooth voice filled the air. "Well, Green Eyes with their soft lights, Your eyes that promise sweet nights, Bring to my soul a longing, a thirst for love divine..."

His brow furrowed and he looked down, shaking his head. "No."

"How is your hand?"

"In dreams I seem to hold you, to find you and enfold you, Our lips meet and our hearts, too, with a thrill so sublime."

He shrugged. "It's fine."

She reached over and grabbed his hand, causing him to stiffen in reaction. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"Looking at your hand." She pulled off his glove and flipped his hand over. "There's not even a scar." She looked up at him. "Looks good. Must be a fast healer."

He grunted and pulled his hand back. They both leaned against the wall, not speaking.

"Those cool and limpid Green Eyes -A pool wherein my love lies. So deep that in my searching for happiness, I fear that they will ever haunt me,"

"What is this song?" He asked.

"All through my life they'll taunt me. But will they ever want me? Green Eyes, make my dreams come true."

Annie was crying again. She sniffled, resting her head on her arms again. "Green Eyes...Jimmy Dorsey...early 1940's. It was my mother's favorite song." Came the muffled response.

A pair of blue eyes flashed in his mind. 'I had him on the ropes...'

A sharp pain seemed to pierce his brain. He grimaced and brought his hand up to his forehead.

'Right. Cause you've got nothin' to prove. Don't do anything stupid until I get back...'

"Are you alright?" Annie asked.

He squeezed his eyes shut, digging his palms into his eyes. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

'How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you?' The voice was vaguely familiar.

Another sharp pain rippled through his head, causing him to groan and double over. He felt Annie's hand on his shoulders.

"You don't seem fine. Are you on drugs? Because if you are-"

"I have to go." He abruptly stood, causing her to fall backwards.

By the time she was able to get up, he was gone.

OoOoOo

Later that night...

"Do you have any idea what time it is?!" Alexander Pierce asked angrily as he opened the door.

"Hi daddy." Annie said meekly.

"Annie?" He squinted, shielding his eyes from the porch light. "Sweetheart it's three in the morning. Are you alright?"

She sighed. "I'm so, so tired...can I stay with you for a while?"

He took her gently by her arm and led her inside. "You don't have to ask."

She gave him an exhausted smile and her eyes shimmered with tears. "I'm sorry to wake you. I just-"

"You also don't have to explain. Go upstairs. Your room is ready. We can talk when you're ready. I have a few meetings tomorrow starting early, but we'll have dinner, alright?" He kissed her forehead and she trudged up the two flights of stairs to her room.