Status: Active

Eyes of Winter

Seven

Annie struggled to pry the crushing hands from her throat. She opened her mouth to scream but only managed to suck in water. She thrashed and kicked, clawing at the hands that held her under.

Darkness began to creep into her line of vision. She couldn't feel anything. Suddenly all there was, was peace.

She went limp as the last bit of air escaped her lungs and stared blankly up into the eyes of her father.


OoOoOo

Annie sat up with a scream, gasping for air. After she realized it was just a dream, she leaned back against the headboard. The room was dark, but she could see the bright rays of sunlight fighting to get around the edges of the curtains.

"Are you here?" She called out.

When there was no answer, she pushed herself out of bed, becoming painfully aware of her shoulder. As she stretched her back, she glanced down and saw a note on the motel's stationary.

'Stay here. I'll come for you when I can.'

She crumpled up the paper and threw it in the trash can. "Yea right." She said.

The clock showed it was just after two in the afternoon.

Turning the light on, she cringed when she saw her face streaked with blood and dirt. With her good hand, she soaked a cloth and scrubbed her face.

"Oh shit..." She came up from the sink, realizing that her kids were supposed to meet at her studio to rehearse in less than an hour.

Dumping the contents of her bag on the bed, she gathered all of the money and began counting it. "Holy...shit..." She whispered. She'd counted over twenty thousand dollars.

Rifling through the bag, she came across several hair ties. She divided the money into smaller rolls, securing them with the elastic ties. She shoved them into an interior pocket of the bag, and then made a quick inventory. Wallet, hairbrush, various make-up, iPod, earbuds, wall charger, small speakers that she would use to play her iPod when she and the kids would rehearse at the park, car keys that did her no good, a bottle of ibuprofen, a bottle of water, two tampons, two granola bars and a pack of mint chewing gum. No sign of anything that could be used as a weapon.

She grabbed her book bag and stepped out. The sun shone blindingly bright. She yanked her glasses out and quickly zipped it up, looking around to make sure no one had seen her.

Looking out at the parking lot, she tried to discern where in D.C. she was. A glance at the interstate bridge told her she was only a block away from the studio.

OoOoOo

"Miss Annie!" Three of the kids were already waiting for her when she rounded the corner.

She smiled brightly as two of the girls, Izzie and Nya slammed into her, hugging her. Sari, 11 years old leaned against the window of the studio, smiling shyly.

"Hi guys! Hi Sari!"

"Miss Annie what happened to your arm?" Nya asked.

"I fell and hurt it. But it's ok." Annie said.

"But how are we going to rehearse if you're hurt?" Izzie asked.

"Well that's what I wanted to talk to your parents about-"

"They already left." Nya replied. "Are we going to play today?"

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to postpone it."

"Postpone what?" Isaiah, a tall boy with olive colored skin and dark, shaggy hair walked up, pushing his bicycle.

She sighed. "Nothing. Let's just wait on David." She dug around her bag for her keys when she heard a series of popping noises and paused. The sound was immediately followed by the screeching of tires. "Which bus does David take?"

"The 6388 metro bus." Sari replied.

"How do you know that?" Annie asked, impressed. The young girl just smiled and shrugged.

"Where is that coming from?" Isaiah asked, walking towards the corner.

"Hey over here, Isaiah. Whatever it is, you don't need to be a part of it." She took him by his arm. "I need you to look after the girls."

"Where are you going?" He asked.

She unlocked the door and ushered them inside, setting her bag on the counter top. "I'm going to go find David. Take the girls out to the patio. It's surrounded by all the brick walls and no one can get in." She handed him her cell phone. "If I'm not back in fifteen minutes, call 911."

"Why does he need to call 911?" Nya asked, eyes wide with panic.

Annie brushed the girl's thick curls out of her face. "It's just for safety. But don't worry. You're safe with Isaiah. I promise." She looked at the older boy. "Can you do that for me?"

The boy nodded, taking her phone. "Yeah. Come on girls. Let's go."

The girls reluctantly followed him out to the patio. Annie watched them close the door and then exited the studio, locking the door behind her.

She began walking towards the commotion, increasing her steps as the noise became more chaotic. She turned down the corner and froze. People were running in all directions. The 6388 bus lay on its side, full of bullet holes.

She began running towards it. "David! David Keegan!" She cried. She stumbled and ducked as a car nearby exploded into flames. She ran to the back of the overturned bus and crawled through the shattered back window. People were struggling to get out.

"David?!"

"Come on! You have to get out!" Someone yelled from behind.

She squinted in the sunlight. "Steve?"

He helped a blonde woman out and peered inside. "Annie?!" She ran to him. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm ok. But one of my students was on this bus."

"Miss Annie I'm here!"

They both looked towards the head of the bus. The ten year old boy peeked out from behind a broken seat. Steve held out his hand for the young boy and pulled him up.

"David are you ok?" Annie asked. He nodded. "Steve what the hell is going on?"

"Better if you don't know. Just get somewhere safe." There was a loud explosion and they all ducked. "Run! Now!" Steve yelled.

Annie grabbed David's hand and they ran away from the chaos. "Don't stop running and don't look back!" She cried.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

Annie screamed as a hand grabbed her by her arm and pulled her back. David paused and turned back. "DAVID KEEP RUNNING! GO TO THE STUDIO!" She threw her keys before Brock could stop her. David picked them up and hesitated. "Go! I'm ok, I promise! I'll meet you there!" David didn't seem convinced, but another small explosion sent him running in the opposite direction.

"Cute kid." Brock said. "You look like hell, sweetheart." He began dragging her back towards the war zone.

"BROCK WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She cried.

"Taking you in." He snapped, yanking her arm back.

She winced. "I thought you wanted my forgiveness!"

He grunted as he began dragging her back towards the commotion. "If I remember correctly, the last thing you said to me was 'I hate you', so I believe we're past forgiveness."

"What the hell is going on here?" She looked across the street and gasped. The Russian stood with his back to her, aiming his gun directly at Steve. He rolled out of the way just as a grenade shot past him, reducing an abandoned car to fiery rubble.

Brock lifted Annie up as she stumbled. "Who is he?!" She cried, watching as he got to his feet. "Why are you doing this?!"

"Just cooperate and everything will be alright." He replied.

She was beginning to get angry. "What do you want, Brock? You want me to apologize for what happened with you and Jack? You can just kill me now because I'll die before that ever happens."

He pressed his face into her hair and and breathed in deeply. Exhaling, he opened his eyes. "Those are not my orders."

She swallowed nervously. "And what are your orders?"

"Sorry sweetheart, that's classified information." He breathed into her ear. The stubble of his five o'clock shadow scratched her ear and she shivered involuntarily. "If I tell you, I'll have to kill you."

"Rumlow!" They both turned as the Russian stalked towards them angrily. "What are you doing?"

"This doesn't concern you, stand down." Brock said.

"She had nothing to do with this. Let her go." He growled, grabbing Brock's arm.

Brock armed his gun, locking eyes with him. "And what do you know? I said stand down. Now."

An angry voice in his ear piece was ordering him to do the same. Without looking at her, the Russian walked off.

"I guess he has a bit of a crush on you." Brock said, dragging her towards an armored truck.

"What are you talking about?" She asked through gritted teeth.

"He hadn't killed you yet. He's a loyal weapon and he never misses his target." He replied. He shoved her to the ground and aimed his gun. "Drop the shield, Cap!" He rushed towards where Steve was standing.

She bit her lip as she landed on her injured arm, scraping her elbow. Steve looked around at the soldiers closing in, appearing dazed.

"Get on your knees! Get on your knees!" Brock yelled, giving the back of Steve's knee a kick. "Get down!"

She watched Steve drop the iconic shield and lower himself to his knees. He had a distant, distraught look in his eye. "Steve?" She tried to get his attention.

Jack pressed the barrel of his rifle against the back of Steve's head as Brock handcuffed him.

"What are you doing!?" Annie shrieked.

Brock looked up at the sky as helicopters circled overhead. "Put the gun down." Brock said, securing Steve's restraints. "Not here. Not here!" He hissed, signaling with his eyes to the helicopters flying overhead.

"Brock, Jack, what the hell is going on? Get my father on the phone now!"

"Shut up Annie." Rollins snapped, glaring at her.

"Or what?!" Annie snapped.

"Or I'll shoot you in the fucking face." He said, aiming the gun directly at her. She felt her heart stop.

"Hey! She hasn't done anything. We're the ones you want." The red headed woman replied.

Brock slapped the barrel away from Annie's face. "The fuck is wrong with you? Huh?" Brock grabbed him by the back of the neck, forcing him to look at him. "Don't do that shit again." He pointed a gloved finger in his face. "I mean it."

Rollins jerked away angrily, glaring at Annie. "All of you, get in."

Brock pulled her to her feet and looked her over. "You good?" He asked.

She cradled her arm and glared at him, refusing to answer.

"We'll have a doctor look at your arm." He handed her over to two armed men. "Take her to the other truck. Watch her arm." He instructed.

The men began to drag her in the opposite direction of Steve and the others. "What are you doing with them? Steve!" She looked over her shoulder, briefly meeting his eyes as they shoved her in the back of an armored truck.