Status: Complete

But the Greatest of These Is Love

The Fall

"Adam!" A voice rang through the trees and scared the birds into flight. Of the thousands of times that Adam had heard this voice, this was the very first time he had heard such fear in it. It sent a jolt through his system and he sprinted toward its source. "Adam!"

"Eve!" He called back, stopping every now and again to listen for her. He was running so fast that he almost ran over her when he finally did find her. Tears were streaming down her face and he started checking her for anything that might have hurt her. "Eve, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Oh, Adam, I was so stupid." She replied falling into his embrace. Adam held onto her tight, trying to soothe her. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Adam." she mumbled through her tears.

"Why are you sorry?" Adam whispered. He was confused at her state and her words weren't making any sense. "Eve, talk to me please,"

"There was a s-s-snake in the grove by the Knowledge tree a-a-and we started talking....I swear, what it said at the t-t-time made so much sense, Adam." Eve stuttered out and Adam's heart clenched in terror. Could Eve have done what he thought? "A-and before I knew it, I was reaching up for one of the fruits and....Adam.....I ate from the tree...."

Adam closed his eyes as he realized the gravity of the situation. Their Father had given them all of this paradise and the one rule he had set on them from the beginning was to not eat from that tree. He admitted to himself that he had been curious about it before but had never brought himself to taste of it. "Adam, what am I gonna do?"

"You must tell Father, Eve. He may be able to forgive you. He's shown us all this kindness, he has to forgive you," Adam replied, grasping onto this hope. He couldn't bear the thought of losing Eve and he held onto her a little tighter. "It will be all right, I promise."

"Do you feel any smarter at least?" Adam asked, attempting to ease her tension.

"Not in the slightest. I must have gotten a bad apple," Eve replied, smiling through her tears.

He wasn't sure how long they stayed in each other's embrace but at one point, there was a sudden stillness around them and a flash of white light near to them. Father was here for one of his visits. "Eve. It's time. I'll come with you."

They walked towards the man in white robes as he scratched under the chin of one of the creatures. As they neared him, he shooed it and smiled at them. "How are you two doing today?"

"Father, Eve has something to tell you," Adam said calmly, holding onto her hand. Father frowned and looked at Eve.

"Father...." Eve faltered and Adam squeezed her hand. "I ate from the tree of Knowledge.....I am so sorry, I was tricked by this snake and...."

Father held up his hand to stop her from speaking, his frown deepening. "Eve, I am very dissapointed in you. I set forth one rule for both of you and you have broken it. There's only one penalty that i can give you for this. You must leave Eden."

The words still rung in Adam's ears as the ground underneath their feet moved and they arrived at the edge of Eden. Eve stared in disbelief at the edge, not quite able to comprehend what Father had said. "Once you step out, Eve, you will never come back." Father's voice, quiet and calm, struck at them like stones. Eve gave Adam one last pleading look before taking a shuddering step, and then another, until she arrived at the edge.

Father had already turned away from her and had been talking to Adam. "I'm terribly sorry about this Adam. Even I can make mistakes it seems. I will make sure your next partner..."

But Adam wasn't really paying attention to him. His eyes were glued to Eve as she shook and cried, unable to take that last step out of Eden. Next partner, Adam thought vaguely. But he didn't want another partner. He wanted Eve.

"Father, I ate from the tree as well." Adam mumbled. Father stopped mid-sentence and turned to Adam, "What was that, Adam?"

"I ate from the tree as well," Adam said, this time loudly and clearly.

"Adam," Father said with disappointment, "why are you saying this?"

"Because it's the truth, Father." Adam said, fear shooting through him as he realized what he was saying. He walked over to Eve with a smile of confidence he didn't feel.

"Adam, no, you don't...." She began.

"Eve. It's not paradise unless I have you," Adam cut her off, grabbing her by the hand. He turned back to Father and said, "So, I guess that means we're both banished, Father."

And with one last look at each other, Eve and Adam stepped off into the unknown.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought of this when I was (re)reading another book and they mention the Bible quote about love. So it it made me think of how Catholics and Christians talk about Original Sin and how it's simply said that the snake tricks Eve and Eve shares with Adam and they get booted out. And I always had a personal problem with this story, just because it seemed wrong. So I came up with this.