Status: Updates are sporadic, but they are coming

A Helping Hand

09

With just about as much anxiety as she felt 5 weeks ago, Indy pulled into a parking space outside the studio and turned off her car. She had not been able to still her mind last night, and continuously replayed yesterday over and over and over, thinking of things she could have said, words she could have used, and ultimately, ways she could have avoided this entire catastrophe.

She took a deep breath, opening her car door and hopping out. Her eyes scanned the car park, looking for any familiar vehicles. Her stomach sank as she spotted one after the other. 8, she thought to herself. All 8 of the guys beat her to the studio.

With her stomach in knots, she collected her things from the car, locked up, and made her way to the door.

“You’ll be fine, you’ll be fine, you’ll be fine,” she chanted to herself under her breath. She couldn’t understand why her nerves were as intense as they were. Yes, she felt bad, but nothing had ever managed to unsettle her this much before. And that included her first break up!

Her stomach flipped as she opened the door and started down the corridor. She knew that she would be relieved of her anxiety shortly, but it still wasn’t soon enough. First she had to go through the awkwardness of apologising.

With one final deep breath to calm herself, Indy opened the door to the studio and walked into the den.

“-to finish the album,” Mudrock said, finishing his sentence as his daughter appeared to his left. He had been though his own apology, and received yet another from the band, and had just run them through what the plan was for the remaining few weeks in the studio. He knew it could all change within the next 10 minutes, depending on what Indy was about to say. “Morning, Indy.”

“Hey guys,” she replied, rather lamely. She smiled at her father, and rose her hand to quickly wave to the boys. They all looked at her at once as soon as the door had opened. Her stomach flipped once again.

She knew she had to apologise, and she had to do it before her nerves ate her whole and she lost her nerve. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that she really was the one in the wrong, and her anger had stemmed from a place of fear. Now, she had to tell them that.

“Ah, I made cupcakes. I didn’t really know how to apologise properly, so I went with the old adage ‘the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’ and went from there,” she blurted out, taking off the lid of the cupcake carrier that was in her hands, and tilting it towards the guys. She had iced ‘Sorry I’m a dick’ on the 12 chocolate cupcakes. “Um, I’m really sorry for yesterday. And for not telling you guys the truth after we figured out that you are actually awesome guys. I’m really sorry that you found out this way, and that we made you guys uncomfortable. I just hope that we can all work past this. I understand if you want to hire someone else to fill in.”

It was quiet for a minute, all eyes on Indy as she looked down at the cupcakes in front of her. She really wasn’t sure where else to look. To her surprise, Jimmy was the first one to break the silence. He had risen to his feet, and made his way to Indy, putting his hands on her shoulders as he spoke to her.

“You had me at cupcakes,” he said without a trace of a smile. He held for all of a second before he cracked a huge grin, and leant down to kiss Indy on her head. “Johnny will eat the ‘dick’. It wouldn’t be the first time!”

“You’re such a fucking asshole,” Johnny retorted, getting wound up from Jimmy’s words. He jumped out of his seat, and had tackled the gentle giant to the ground, narrowly avoiding spilling the entire cupcake carrier on the wrestling pair.

“This is why we can’t have nice things. These two idiots just break shit left, right and centre!” Matt exclaimed, everyone’s attention now on the drummer and bassist.

Indy was relieved. She had said what she needed to say, and she was so thankful that Jimmy had defused the tension so easily with just a few words. It almost seemed too good to be true!

“So, are we ok to keep recording?” Mudrock asked, trying to get the attention of the group in front of him. They still had a way to go before the album was complete, and after wasting an entire day of recording yesterday, he needed to crack the whip and get them working as soon as he could. “Jimmy, go with Jason and finish the tracking for Bat Country. Matt, I know you are keen to finialise the vocals on Blinded in Chains, so warm up, we are recording in 10. Brian, Johnny and Zacky, you need to go with Andy and decide if you want to keep what we have for Strength of the World and M.I.A. If there is anything you want to change, this is your chance, or we are keeping it!”

Now everyone had their jobs for the day, they all broke into their assigned teams and set to work. Indy, meanwhile, stood still, stunned at what was happening. Her father hadn’t given her a job for the day, so she had nowhere to go. He wouldn’t just exclude her from her work because of the hissy fit she threw yesterday, right? There was still so much to do on the album, she highly doubted there was nothing she could be helping with right now.

No one gave her a second glance as they moved around, collecting what they needed for the day before they dispersed into different sections of the studio.

Her brain was running 1000 miles a minute, and her thoughts turned to the worst possible scenario. They had all come in early and decided they didn’t need her anymore. She had been fired without anyone actually telling her. With everyone else moving around her, she sighed and turned around, opening the studio door for what felt like the last time, and made her way to the kitchen. She had to put the cupcakes somewhere, and if she didn’t put them down within the next minute, her rage would kick in once more, and they would end up on the walls, or potentially on the band.

Zacky told the other three that he would be with them in a minute, and swiftly got out of his seat. For the last few minutes his undivided attention was on Indy. He had noticed the way her eyes lit up when Jimmy had come over to her and essentially given her his forgiveness. He had noticed the small curve to her lips when Johnny attacked Jimmy, and the mood of the room lifted. He even noticed the small smile turn into a frown after Mudrock had finished talking, and had not given her a task. It was only a small change, but he had noticed. He watched as her eyes dimmed, her hands tightened their grip on the container, and she had turned towards the door once more. He could only imagine the thoughts running through her head.

He quickened his pace as to catch up to Indy. He followed her in to the kitchen where he watched her drop the cupcakes on the dining table. He took note as she balled up her fists and then released them quickly, along with a sharp exhale. He may not have known her for that long, but he could sense that she was beginning to feel angry again. After yesterday, he knew what to look for, even if it was in the small details.

She abruptly turned after dropping the cupcakes, and was taken aback to see Zacky standing in front of her. She had not heard the studio door open once she had left, and she had heard no footsteps. He had definitely surprised her with his presence.

“Thanks for the apology,” he said, breaking the silence that had developed. Unsure of how to act, he lifted his good arm and ran his fingers through his hair. “I know it wasn’t really said, but we appreciate it.”

“Yeah, uh, no worries,” she replied, feeling very off guard. She was still stunned at his sudden appearance, and then once again with his words.

“And for the record, we are sorry too. Well, I can’t really speak for everyone, but I am sorry. It was my fault. I just…” he started, not really sure where to go with the rest of his apology.

“Well, thanks. I’m glad that we are all good.” She felt just as awkward as he looked. They were definitely a sight to be seen. She hadn’t prepared herself for this, and she felt like every time she had gotten her composure back, he startled her again. “Well, ah, good luck, I guess. I’m sure Mudrock will let me know how the album goes.”

She had given him a weak smile before turning toward the corridor, making her way back to her car. She had wanted to leave without saying anything to the guys, as it was clear that from their reactions (or lack thereof) that she was no longer welcome, and that her input wasn’t needed.

“I have made a few instructional videos for you at home, to help you learn the songs. I will give them to Mudrock and he will get them to you. Hope your arm heals quickly,” she told him, quickly turning around while she spoke. Once she had finished, she quickly started walking, wanting to get away from this place. She couldn’t help being hurt from the rejection.

It took Zacky a solid 3 seconds to put together what she meant. He had never claimed to be even close to figuring out women. By the time the realisation hit him, she was opening the door and stepping outside, back into the LA sunshine.

“Wait!” He called out, hoping that she would stop. Appearing not to have heard him, he once more chased after her, trying to catch up to the woman. “Indy! Hold up!”

She had definitely heard him, but did not want to extend the encounter any more than she already had. Continuing on her mission to get back to her car, her mind was working on her next few steps.
She would have to call her father at their lunch break, and get him to let her know once the boys were gone so she could get her guitars. She would also have to give him a copy of the videos she mentioned to Zacky. They were useless to her, now. After that, she had thought she should lay low, try and stay out of the business for a while until the dust settled with Avenged Sevenfold and their album. She figured that once they were out of the studio, and the album was complete, mastering and all, she would be safe to come out of hiding, and start playing again. She shouldn’t run the risk of working right now. The last thing she needed was for more people to find out her secret, and her career to be completely over. A small break would do her well. She may even consider getting another puppy. You can never have too much puppy love.

“For fucks sake, woman!” Zacky’s loud exclamation managed to break through her internal checklist. She really hated to ignore him. He was actually really nice, and they had gotten along really well.
“What?” She asked him, finally turning around once more to face the guitarist. She had managed to pull on her ‘don’t-give-me-shit’ façade to cover her inner turmoil.

“You’ve got it all wrong,” he stated, catching a glimpse of vulnerability before her stony expression took hold.

“Got what wrong? That you guy are all done with me now? That I apologised to you guys, and essentially all I got was ‘Johnny eats dicks’ and see ya? That I actually thought we were all getting along, but every time I was with you guys I was being ‘watched’ in case I gave too much affection?” She asked him, her words slipping out before she could comprehend what she was saying. She was so disappointed. In both herself for letting this happen, and in the band she thought she was becoming close to. “I appreciate your apology before, but seriously, I’m out. That is pretty clear.”

“I’m telling you, you’re wrong,” he replied, reiterating what he had previously said. He needed to let her know that it was the opposite of what she thought. “Just let me explain.”

“Nice line. But no, it’s fine, I’ll survive without knowing the ‘reason’ I’m gone,” she said to him, air quoting ‘reason’ for emphasis. It would all be a load of crap anyway. Just a rehearsed story to make her feel better. She turned once more, making the final few steps to her car and unlocked it. She hadn’t even been inside long enough to take her bag off her shoulder, so as she opened her car door, she quickly ridded that to the passenger’s seat.

Just as she was about to sit in the driver’s seat, she heard Zacky yell before hearing a thump. Her neck snapped to where he was standing, but saw nothing. Her eyes were drawn straight down to the asphalt, widening when she saw Zacky in a heap on the ground.

“Fuck,” he moaned, not moving while pain shot though his entire body. He couldn’t help but groan as his heart rate started to rise, and adrenaline started coursing through his veins.

“Zacky!” Indy called out, running over to his form on the ground. She wasn’t sure what to do. As she reached him, he started moving, trying to sit up. “Careful!”

He couldn’t say anything in return. He slowly tried to rise, but his good arm was shaking too much and his broken arm was… well… more broken than it had ever been. All he could feel was searing white hot pain through his arm.

Indy’s hand reached out and helped him to the sitting position. He looked up at her, his eyes squinted and slight whimpers escaping his mouth. He was white as a sheet.

“Holy fuck, Zacky. We need to get you to the hospital. Now.” She told him, taking one look at the man in front of her. She looked at his arm, hoping he hadn’t looked yet. The cast was splintered in two, the plaster completely shattered, only held together by the bandaging beneath.

“I am going to help you up. You have to go slowly, ok?” She told him, letting him know what was happening. She cautiously grabbed his shoulder to help him steady himself as he slowly pushed off the ground. She could feel him tremble beneath her hand.

He tried his best not to lean on Indy too much, but he couldn’t help it. His arm was throbbing, his legs were shaking, and he could feel the adrenaline pulse through his veins. It almost felt the same as when he broke his arm in the first place. The adrenaline helped him stay conscious, and he was glad to feel it appear once more.

Indy slowly walked him over to her car, opening the passenger door and easing him in. She knew she had to get him to the hospital as soon as she could, and was debating whether to take 2 minutes to run back in the studio and grab one of the guys, or to just take Zacky straight to the hospital. She looked down at him, taking in his pallid face, his eyes clenched shut and how he was biting one side of his lip.

She had to go now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey again!
Thanks for all the comments last chapter! Made my little heart soar!

This is a bit of a crappy chapter, pushing the story along, and helping me write through the block.
Hope it is passable!!

Indy's Outfit

Much love,
Sas