Status: Completed! Sequel up soon

Hospital Beds and Memories

The Clock That's Ticking

After talking to my parents and catching up for a bit longer, Jack had driven me home. He was going to stay for a bit and hang up with me and Cameron, but it was already quite late, so we determined that he was going to stay the night instead of going home straight away. It was the first time he was actually going to sleep over. Sure, he had come to the apartment a couple of times, but he always left before it got too late. Whenever I went to his place there was more chance that I would stay than not. But our friendship had grown so much over the last couple of weeks. It was really like we had been best friends for ages.

We were now sitting on the couch and Cameron was in a recliner. There was a movie playing that Cam had chosen and I honestly did not know what was happening. I just enjoyed sharing a tub full of ice cream with my best friend while watching a movie, which basically had no plot whatsoever. It would probably be a lot more enjoyable if I was wearing some pajamas though…

“Hey, I’m going to put on my pajamas. Cam, can you find something for Jack?” I announced.

Cameron nodded and paused the movie before getting up from his half-sitting half-lying-down position.

“Oh my god. He actually got up from the chair!” I gasped jokingly.

Cameron shoved me towards my room, “Shut up. Jack, come with me.”

I disappeared into my room and looked around. My desk was pushed against the wall next to the door and the wooden closet was adjacent to it. I had placed a large clock above my desk, and when I mean a large clock, I mean gigantic. It was just a bit smaller than a third of my door. The clock was simple. A metal frame and metal roman numerals, nothing in between them. You could basically stick your hand through it. However with such beauty and size, it did make a very loud noise, but I didn’t mind. My queen sized mattress was pushed against the large window, so I could always look outside. And yes, I know I said mattress, I didn’t have a bed, but I liked it this way. Two pillows and a duvet that was too large were messily placed on it.

I walked to my closet and looked at its contents. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair before taking out what I wanted to wear. The black blink-182 shirt and red flannel pants seemed fine to me. I quickly changed into them and put my hair into a messy bun. It didn’t matter what I looked like, it was only Jack and Cameron, they didn’t care… I hope… ‘cause I definitely didn’t. I was about to walk out of my room, when I turned back around and quickly grabbed my glasses off of my desk.

Cameron had given Jack something to wear, but I didn’t expect he would have chosen what he did. Jack was wearing the same exact thing I was wearing. I laughed, causing Jack to look up at me. He looked me up and down before laughing along.

“Our twin telepathy is going crazy again,” Cameron chuckled.

“Well, I think Jack and I look more like twins that you and I do right now,” I commented.

“I need to take a photo of this!” Jack exclaimed and took out his phone.

“Ok,” I agreed, “but don’t put my face in it.”

“What? Why?”

“Because I know you will want to post it to twitter and I don’t need any rumors starting.”

“Rumors?” Cameron leaned forward.

“Yeah, some girl came up to us and thought we were a couple,” I explained.

“That was one person,” Jack argued.

“You honestly don’t think all your fans will think it?”

“Well, technically not all…”

I glared at him.

“Fine, but only because I want to take the photo,” Jack groaned.

I grinned and took the phone out of his hands, giving it to Cameron so he could take the picture. Jack stood beside me and wrapped his arm around my waist. He pulled me closer, so there was literally no space between us. If he wasn’t my best friend I would have definitely been uncomfortable. Cameron took the photo and gave it back to Jack before turning back to look at the TV screen.

“This is awesome.” Jack plopped down onto the couch and I followed him. “Do you have twitter?”

“Umm, yeah…” I answered.

“Can I tag you in this?”

“You can follow me, but don’t tag me, I don’t need tons of people looking at my twitter. Besides, it defies the purpose of not having my face in it.”

“True.”

After posting the picture and Jack looking me up and complaining how I barely posted anything, we decided to ‘watch’ the movie again, but that didn’t last long. I was desperately trying to focus on the movie, but I kept seeing Jack staring at me from the corner of my eye. Was there something on my face? Or did I just look funny, it was the second time he did it today.

I turned to look at him, “What?”

“Nothing,” Jack replied with a grin. “I didn’t know you had glasses.”

“Well, now you know I do. I can see fine without them, they just help me see when I’m tired or when it’s dark. And I’m both tired, and it’s pretty dark in here.”

“We can go to bed, I don’t get this movie anyway.”

“I thought I was the only one!”

Cameron loudly shushed us and paid attention to the movie again. He was really into it and I really didn’t get why. I couldn’t even figure out who the main character was, let alone what it was actually about.

I grabbed Jack’s hand and stood up. “Come on.”

His hand stayed in mine as he followed me to my bedroom. I opened the door and turned on the lights. Jack looked around before realizing we were still holding hands. He mumbled something I couldn’t understand and fell backward onto the mattress.

“I really like your bed.” He grinned.

“Yeah, it’s very non-existent. Just the way I like it.” I smiled back.

“So… where are you going to sleep?”

“Right on top of you,” I said as I jumped on top of him, making us both burst into laughter after Jack groaned slightly.

I got off of him and pushed him to the side so I could lie down next to the window. The bed was nice and warm as I got underneath the covers. Jack copied me and turned so we both looking at each other, or faces not too far apart. We were staring at each other until I realized I was still wearing my glasses. I snorted, trying to keep in a laugh, and put them on the floor beside me.

“Oh, wait. Do you want a bottle of water?” I said out of nowhere.

“A bottle of water?” Jack looked very confused.

“I like having a bottle of water in case I get thirsty during the night. I don’t like getting out of bed for something like that. You might think I’m weird, but it’s normal to me.”

“I’m not judging,” Jack laughed, “But I’m fine, thanks.”

“Whatever suits you.”

I walked to the kitchen and got a liter water bottle out of the fridge. When I made my way back I passed Cameron who was still watching the movie. I said goodnight, but he didn’t seem to notice me. Of course, he wouldn’t, he’s Cameron for god’s sake!

Jack watched me as I climbed back into bed. I put the cold water bottle next to my glasses, hoping I wouldn’t break them later on.

“That’s a large bottle,” Jack commented.

“You said you weren’t judging me,” I retorted.

“I’m not.”

“It sounded like you were,” I joked.

“Too bad then.”

I stuck my tongue out at him and stared at the ceiling. Jack did the same and silence consumed us. I could hear the delicate ticking of the metal clock, slowly lulling me to sleep. The only other sound in the room was mine and Jack’s cautious breathing. It was nice, I liked it this way. Nothing interrupting the calmness inside of me.

“Isn’t that clock annoying you?” Jack disrupted the deafening silence.

“No,” I whispered, “it’s constant and it will never stop. It’s like the complete opposite of life. Life is never constant, you have good moments and bad moments, and eventually we will die.”

“That’s a bit morbid.”

“Not really. To be honest, I’m not afraid to die, I’ve accepted it a long time ago, way before I nearly died. People always want to live longer, but I wouldn’t want to. Those extra years will only be added to the part of life in which you’re old and can’t do anything. I’d rather live my life now.”

“Hmm… Then how come you haven’t ever traveled?”

“Not everybody gets to opportunity to travel the world, Jack.”

“That’s not what I meant. Not to be rude or anything, but your parents obviously have enough money for your whole family to go on vacation.”

“My dad was rarely home, so what’s a family vacation without him?”

“Oh… I’m sorry… I didn’t mean it that way.” Jack apologized.

“I know you didn’t. Plus, I’ve probably been on a vacation before, but just don’t remember it.” I turned around so I could look past the curtains and outside.

“I’m sorry…”

“Why are you saying that?”

“You seem upset.”

“I’m not, I’m just tired. I don’t get upset that fast.”

“It just seemed like I went somewhere where you didn’t want me to go.”

“You didn’t. Stop worrying about it. I’m just tired and want to get some sleep.”

“Ok,” Jack murmured and turned so his chest was touching my back. He wrapped one of his arms loosely around my waist, “Is this ok?”

I nodded and snuggled into him, “Yeah, I’m a bit cold anyway. Just please don’t get a boner, or I’m afraid you will have to sleep on the other side of the room on the cold floor.”

I felt Jack’s chest rumble with laughter, “I won’t. Goodnight Isle.”

“Isle?”

“It sounds more like Ireland than Field does.”

“Hmm… I guess it does. Goodnight Jack.”

I fell asleep shortly after that in Jack’s embrace. It wasn’t awkward because I knew it was just a friendly gesture. Jack was my best friend, who would I be to turn down something like this? Plus, our friendship might have just gotten stronger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cute little nickname that will come up in the story very often from now on.